Rugby Union 23/24 Discussion

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
That’s going to be a theme for ages, thanks to the lack of jeopardy in the pool games.
For me it’s just a day of heavy favourites. Bulls Sarries and Bath Ulster are quite even but all the others look like blowouts. In many ways I’d be happy if say Toulouse didn’t take this match too seriously and rested a few against the scarlets….it might make the game more watchable

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Well, further evidence that I know feck all about rugby as a young Exeter team head over to Toulon and upset Ollivon & co :lol:

Dan_F

Big one for Bath today. They should really have no fear in the Premiership. Every game they seem to be scoring close to 40 and not even being that clinical.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Big one for Bath today. They should really have no fear in the Premiership. Every game they seem to be scoring close to 40 and not even being that clinical.
What’s been the difference? It’s not all Finn, Bath’s pack used to get blown around the Rec by a strong wind. Is it all new additions?

Dan_F

What’s been the difference? It’s not all Finn, Bath’s pack used to get blown around the Rec by a strong wind. Is it all new additions?
The forwards are largely the same, Du Toit has been a great addition of course but even before he came off the bench, Bath were dominating. Of the 15 that started today, only Russell and Stooke (was previously with Bath till 2021) weren’t there last season but Injuries had been awful the last two years, whereas now, only Ted Hill is missing long term.

Secondly, Van Graan has seemingly changed the culture quite a bit. Bath were very flakey before and now they seem to accelerate in tight games and bounce back well. I think last years league position was underrated after how bad the start was. Bath have been good since early 2023, but taken it up a notch this season.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Eddie Jones is set to be named Japan's new coach.

Last edited:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
The forwards are largely the same, Du Toit has been a great addition of course but even before he came off the bench, Bath were dominating. Of the 15 that started today, only Russell and Stooke (was previously with Bath till 2021) weren’t there last season but Injuries had been awful the last two years, whereas now, only Ted Hill is missing long term.

Secondly, Van Graan has seemingly changed the culture quite a bit. Bath were very flakey before and now they seem to accelerate in tight games and bounce back well. I think last years league position was underrated after how bad the start was. Bath have been good since early 2023, but taken it up a notch this season.
Fair, maybe I should give JvG a bit more credit. If that pack has gone from struggling in the prem to pushing teams around in Europe then he must have done something right

Dan_F

Fair, maybe I should give JvG a bit more credit. If that pack has gone from struggling in the prem to pushing teams around in Europe then he must have done something right
I don’t expect them to compete with the best in Europe. Ulster fans were really down on their team yesterday so I don’t think it was the biggest shock to them.

kidbob

Oh my god we actually beat them, was starting to think it wasn’t possible.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Oh my god we actually beat them, was starting to think it wasn’t possible.
I knew you’d be here :lol: :lol: Leinster winning Europe confirmed

Caught the tail end after work, looks like Leinster can finally do it on a cold wet day in La Rochelle :D

kidbob

I knew you’d be here :lol: :lol: Leinster winning Europe confirmed

Caught the tail end after work, looks like Leinster can finally do it on a cold wet day in La Rochelle :D
I was so sure they were going to score in the last few minutes again to win the game. Not sure I could have handled yet another loss like that. They are just such a horrible team to play against, so solid everywhere. LAR definitely weren’t at their best today but didn’t think Leinster were either.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I was so sure they were going to score in the last few minutes again to win the game. Not sure I could have handled yet another loss like that. They are just such a horrible team to play against, so solid everywhere. LAR definitely weren’t at their best today but didn’t think Leinster were either.
Yeah I was glad not to have missed a classic tbh.

Fancy this one, Racing & Quins, two traditionally batshit crazy teams. Watch it be a borefest now…..

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
This game is brilliant….any rugby fans should stick it on the tele

kidbob

Four years since anyone beat them at their home ground. The final kick was nuts. The TV commentators were saying it’s so far out there’s no hope of kicking it over so he’s just wasting time. Then boom…
Wasn’t aware of that stat! Yeah had no idea Frawley had a kick like that in his locker. Really hope he stays healthy this season, I think he’s a really good player.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
They’ll end up winning, but not great for Leinster to be losing at home to Sale’s reserves

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Hoping this thread provides a safe haven today :nervous:

Some decent-looking fixtures….

Exeter and Munster to kick us off at 1pm

Then an absolute cracker - Quins versus Toulouse - both teams full strength -3:15pm, should be bucket loads of mad shit rugby joy :drool:

Then…..if United is too painful to watch, Stade Francais versus Leicester afterward

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Hopefully Ahern gets a run out in the green jersey this year, you can’t teach 6,9” with pace, he’s looked the real deal can play at 6 and lock.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Hopefully Ahern gets a run out in the green jersey this year, you can’t teach 6,9” with pace, he’s looked the real deal can play at 6 and lock.
What is happening in this game. It felt for all money like one of those games where you’d say, “Exeter’s young team aren’t ready for big European sides”…..but they’re winning

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
When Michael Cheika signed on to be Argentina's coach, he signed up to a succession plan where he would be replaced by Felipe Contepomi at some point down the track. Well, that point has come with Cheika announcing his departure as Argentina coach with Contepomi taking over from the passionate Aussie.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
When Michael Cheika signed on to be Argentina's coach, he signed up to a succession plan where he would be replaced by Felipe Contepomi at some point down the track. Well, that point has come with Cheika announcing his departure as Argentina coach with Contepomi taking over from the passionate Aussie.
Cheika back to Aus then?

In other news, not that any fecker in here will have watched it, but Sale beat Sarries 22-20 in the battle of the title-aspirers in the Prem

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Cheika back to Aus then?

In other news, not that any fecker in here will have watched it, but Sale beat Sarries 22-20 in the battle of the title-aspirers in the Prem
Well I did watch it. Good game and a well deserved win for the Sharks

Dan_F

Cheika back to Aus then?

Couldn’t watch it last night but it’s alway nice when Saracens lose. Should be another top game at the Rec today as well, can’t watch it live as I’m going to watch Cornish Pirates and of course they’re on at the same time. Should just about squeeze in an hour of the United game beforehand.

No idea why my family put up with me :lol:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Couldn’t watch it last night but it’s alway nice when Saracens lose. Should be another top game at the Rec today as well, can’t watch it live as I’m going to watch Cornish Pirates and of course they’re on at the same time. Should just about squeeze in an hour of the United game beforehand.

No idea why my family put up with me :lol:
Don’t forget the boxing tonight :D

Men have solidarity in sport - we’re all doing it so it’s just acceptable, it’s like a union. Strength in numbers

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Cheika back to Aus then?

RA aren't ruling anybody out and that includes Cheika but Joe Schmidt is the name doing the rounds as Eddie Jones' possible successor. I'd say Schmidt is RA's #1 choice but that's no guarantee he'll become Aussie Joe in a few months from now. They want to make an appointment by March. World Rugby head of high performance Peter Horne has been announced as Australia's new director of high performance with David Nucifora joining RA in an advisory capacity at the end of next year's Olympics.

Dan_F

Don’t forget the boxing tonight :D

Men have solidarity in sport - we’re all doing it so it’s just acceptable, it’s like a union. Strength in numbers
Plus the NFL all weekend. Luckily the missus watches that so it’ll be fine.

Dan_F

Ah you’ve lost me now. NBA for me….never invested the time to understand NFL
Used to play basketball quite seriously, but stopped watching a long time ago. Magic seem to have gotten their shit together for the first time in years, so maybe I need to start watching again.

Also, I need to start thinking about accommodation in west London next year by the looks of it. Bath are actually legit good :eek:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Used to play basketball quite seriously, but stopped watching a long time ago. Magic seem to have gotten their shit together for the first time in years, so maybe I need to start watching again.

Also, I need to start thinking about accommodation in west London next year by the looks of it. Bath are actually legit good :eek:
Yeah mate I caught the end of it, bath looked really strong. Surprised because Quins are known for their flashiness…but they can be quite grizzly when it’s tight.

Yeah Magic look good, decent young kids. Never a sport I played in my youth, play it against my lad and I’m fecking awful :lol: Hard game to pick up later in life

Dan_F

Yeah mate I caught the end of it, bath looked really strong. Surprised because Quins are known for their flashiness…but they can be quite grizzly when it’s tight.

Yeah Magic look good, decent young kids. Never a sport I played in my youth, play it against my lad and I’m fecking awful :lol: Hard game to pick up later in life
I got back into it a couple of years ago and it was surprising how good I was after some practice. I don’t think you lose that coordination once you’ve played it. Saying that I’m 5 foot 8, so I maintain I had to be really fecking good, vs my 6 foot plus mates who had to just jump and grab the fecking ball and tip it in. As you can tell, I’m not bitter at all.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I got back into it a couple of years ago and it was surprising how good I was after some practice. I don’t think you lose that coordination once you’ve played it. Saying that I’m 5 foot 8, so I maintain I had to be really fecking good, vs my 6 foot plus mates who had to just jump and grab the fecking ball and tip it in. As you can tell, I’m not bitter at all.
Yeah it’s definitely a sport that pays to be tall, my lads a couple of inches taller than me but he gets every bloody rebound. I think it’s one that playing in your youth is so important - my hand eye coordination is great for racket sports because I played them early but it’s fecking awful for basketball.

Tough one to play at an amateur level as well as in East Yorkshire there’s just nothing going on

Dan_F

Yeah it’s definitely a sport that pays to be tall, my lads a couple of inches taller than me but he gets every bloody rebound. I think it’s one that playing in your youth is so important - my hand eye coordination is great for racket sports because I played them early but it’s fecking awful for basketball.

Tough one to play at an amateur level as well as in East Yorkshire there’s just nothing going on
I grew up in Cornwall and it wasn’t a thing. I’m not joking, someone moved to our school from London in year 8 and loads of people suddenly started playing. Now there’s a really good system in place here for kids that want to play. I used to go and watch Plymouth play, and noticed that BBL has gotten some air time on tv recently, but it never seems to take off.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
La Rochelle vs Toulouse on at the moment….for anyone that needs to watch a different sport

Dan_F

Can’t understand Bath resting their whole starting 15 once again. Did it away to Sale and now at Leicester, basically chucking the tougher away games to rest players.

Are other teams doing this? Surely you can rotate a few players at a time and give yourselves a chance.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Can’t understand Bath resting their whole starting 15 once again. Did it away to Sale and now at Leicester, basically chucking the tougher away games to rest players.

Are other teams doing this? Surely you can rotate a few players at a time and give yourselves a chance.
No idea. There can’t be that much of a fixture pile-up, they’ve 3 less teams to play this season :lol:

I wonder if it’s a contracts-management thing, like the big players are on appearance-related bonuses?

Either way, I just watched the full match replay of an absolutely batshit game in the Top14 between Clermont and UBB. The whole game is worth a rewatch if it can be found, otherwise, highlights below: