Rugby Union 23/24 Discussion

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I’m surprised at how often teams take three points still, or at least try. In the NFL, there’s so much analytics around when to take field goals and when to take bigger risks. It seems like rugby is a mile off this, which i guess is unsurprising giving the money in the two sports.
There's loads of analytics for rugby now, no? I'd think that's exactly they play percentages of taking the three points.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
@Dan_F @rimaldo @TheReligion you watch England?

I was out today…historically I don’t make much effort to watch the Italy game as it’s always a bit pointless, but they’ve got better (and we’ve got worse) so I might have to watch them in the future

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
@Dan_F @rimaldo @TheReligion you watch England?

I was out today…historically I don’t make much effort to watch the Italy game as it’s always a bit pointless, but they’ve got better (and we’ve got worse) so I might have to watch them in the future
had half an eye on it. was stuck at a kid’s party. the usual lack of intensity in defence, combined with no obvious plan when in attack.

So after two games the order of the top two and bottom two have been sorted out. Now for the 3rd place play off.
not sure france will finish bottom two.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
had half an eye on it. was stuck at a kid’s party. the usual lack of intensity in defence, combined with no obvious plan w
I’m not sure if I’m more concerned by the idea of you having kids or not having kids

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Fear for Wales a bit here without Morgan. Reffel needs a massive game

Dan_F

There's loads of analytics for rugby now, no? I'd think that's exactly they play percentages of taking the three points.
To the level of the NFL? Not a chance.

Of course you’re more likely to score the three points as a one off, but if you go for the corner every single time, you’re likely to score more overall. Not to mention it helps with bonus points.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Yeah that was a bit savage.

There’s just no carriers in the Welsh pack without Morgan & Toby….I don’t think they’re going to be able to set a platform for the backs
Kicking too much/too soon. Scotland more front foot… Wales too cautious, never works out in Test rugby

Thought forward pass in build up there… wasn’t sure hands had backwards motion.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Kicking too much/too soon. Scotland more front foot… Wales too cautious, never works out in Test rugby

Thought forward pass in build up there… wasn’t sure hands had backwards motion.
I thought you had a better shout for a bit of crossing in midfield when they first broke through, possibly the 15 and the centre. Haven’t seen a replay of it

Edit - soon as a posted there’s a replay :lol:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Awful from Wales but beautiful rugby from Scotland and Finn especially

kidbob

Welsh rugby is in huge huge trouble and to be honest, outside of the current team, Scotland's underage teams make me worry for them too. Really hope both countries can sort it out in the future.

RedDevilRoshi

Very good 1st half. Totally in control and hardly been under any pressure. Can’t remember the last time we had as comfortable an away 6N performance as this. Russell is strolling through this.

More of the same please 2nd half.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Very good 1st half. Totally in control and hardly been under any pressure. Can’t remember the last time we had as comfortable an away 6N performance as this. Russell is strolling through this.

More of the same please 2nd half.
Is it possible this year? You’ve got France at Murrayfield. Away to Ireland though….might throw a spanner in it.

RedDevilRoshi

Is it possible this year? You’ve got France at Murrayfield. Away to Ireland though….might throw a spanner in it.
Will be absolutely amazing as I was only 7 years old the last time Scotland won some proper silverware :D But nope I cannot see it. Ireland are too strong for everyone. 2nd place is possible but need to see how we do against France & England at home. Plus a slightly improved Italy team in Rome will not be easy as they gave a very good account of themselves against you guys earlier today.

I’m trying to remember a worse half of rugby from Wales. Struggling tbh
Struggling to be honest.

Been thumped a few times but against decent sides… blanked v England 90s but think they were GS winners at least.

Scotland are average/ok team and if they put their minds to it, could get 50.

Stop kicking the ball 20+ yards from the Scottish line, mix kicks up, be much more aggressive, stop leaving players isolated and recycle quicker. Basics

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Will be absolutely amazing as I was only 7 years old the last time Scotland won some proper silverware :D But nope I cannot see it. Ireland are too strong for everyone. 2nd place is possible but need to see how we do against France & England at home. Plus a slightly improved Italy team in Rome will not be easy as they gave a very good account of themselves against you guys earlier today.
I think you’re at least even money against France at home & pretty decent favourites in the other games. In fact if you end up in third again it’ll be a right disappointment
Struggling to be honest.

Been thumped a few times but against decent sides… blanked v England 90s but think they were GS winners at least.

Scotland are average/ok team and if they put their minds to it, could get 50.

Stop kicking the ball 20+ yards from the Scottish line, mix kicks up, be much more aggressive, stop leaving players isolated and recycle quicker. Basics
You’re being very polite there :).. very. You did watch Ireland last night? A machine!
This Welsh performance is abject to say the least but I reckon you’re doing Scotland a disservice here. I’d give them a live chance against Ireland at home, guaranteed though I think Dublin will be a step to far

The Scotland vs France game that (should) decide second place will be tasty as feck

This Welsh performance is abject to say the least but I reckon you’re doing Scotland a disservice here. I’d give them a live chance against Ireland at home, guaranteed though I think Dublin will be a step to far
Home’s a different matter.

Away to (this) Ireland who may well be playing the last game to win a Slam? Wouldn’t give them a 1 in a 10 chance, 1 in 20

kidbob

Scotland have just never evolved from being a team that can beat anyone on their day but also still being a relatively comfortable victory for any top team that plays well against them. They won't beat France unless the French fail to show up, same as in the World Cup with SA and Ireland. They can be an excellent team but are just too patchy, which ironically is Finn Russell as a player for me. They could win the Grand Slam this year, they have the talent, but I don't fancy them the perform in every game.