Rugby Union 23/24 Discussion

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Devastating really. Just a fallen ball away from doing the unthinkable in Paris. Unfortunately there's no directive in the rules to stop or restart the clock even if it falls off the tee. It's a pity that's what ultimately decided the outcome.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Devastating really. Just a fallen ball away from doing the unthinkable in Paris. Unfortunately there's no directive in the rules to stop or restart the clock even if it falls off the tee. It's a pity that's what ultimately decided the outcome.
Wondered whether ref could have stopped it for a bit given French players approached twice. (I’d have liked to see Italy beat France t.b.h.)

https://x.com/ballsdotie/status/1761798341795430775?s=61&t=ZvGzfV2Qafn11jKrPfufuA

Italian rugby would break your heart.
Imagine what he was thinking when he repositioned it and knew he had seconds to kick it? :annoyed:

In hindsight, he’d have been better letting his team mate hold it instead of replacing, save a few seconds and calm down.

Even if winners were basically known from the start, Six Nations is (again) a fantastic tournament

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Imagine what he was thinking when he repositioned it and knew he had seconds to kick it? :annoyed:

In hindsight, he’d have been better letting his team mate hold it instead of replacing, save a few seconds and calm down.

Even if winners were basically known from the start, Six Nations is (again) a fantastic tournament
I missed this match! Fell asleep instead at 10-0 because I'm a bit sick this weekend and crashed out.

Not sure this would have worked to let the teammate set it. Kickers want to carefully angle the ball to match their kicking style.

I missed this match! Fell asleep instead at 10-0 because I'm a bit sick this weekend and crashed out.

Not sure this would have worked to let the teammate set it. Kickers want to carefully angle the ball to match their kicking style.
Ideally, absolutely but he ended up with about nine seconds by resetting it. Don’t know why he half chip kicked it too, modern kickers tend to put their boot through those kicks. Huge pressure on him I know… he’ll be inconsolable

Offsideagain

England v Ireland this Saturday will be the Rugby equivalent of United v Brazil. Not holding out much hope of a win and hope it doesn't descend into a kick fest. Ireland will supply 95% of the Lions squad to go to Australia next year.

Withnail

England v Ireland this Saturday will be the Rugby equivalent of United v Brazil. Not holding out much hope of a win and hope it doesn't descend into a kick fest. Ireland will supply 95% of the Lions squad to go to Australia next year.
I'm confused. Neither of those teams are any good right now.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I'm confused. Neither of those teams are any good right now.
Yeah but we both know which one would win :lol:
Can we win? Well, no. But here’s a list of things we could do to stand a chance:

- lineout. It’ll now go 10 for 10 after I’ve said this but I think irelands lineout is attackable. It’s probably the worst part of their game
- scrums. England have had some success against Ireland in recent years and if we’re going to get any in this match we have to win that battle
- Crowley. Basically we have to flatten him early. Genge, Earl, Roots…one of them has to be flying up into his channel every possession in the first 10 and try to put him off his game.
- Breakdown. This should be the most important area for England, but it won’t because we don’t have any first class breakdown exponents and I’m pissed off about it. It has been (occasionally) proven that you can cause Ireland problems with multiple turnover threats, but we’ve no Willis or Curry so we’re pretty buggered there.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I, for one, am a bit worried. It’s not inconceivable that Ireland get destroyed at set pieces. Especially if we get a ref who takes the irrational dislike to Porter’s scrummaging that we keep seeing. And if England kick well and win most set pieces then it could get ugly.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I, for one, am a bit worried. It’s not inconceivable that Ireland get destroyed at set pieces. Especially if we get a ref who takes the irrational dislike to Porter’s scrummaging that we keep seeing. And if England kick well and win most set pieces then it could get ugly.
What’s Nash like under the high ball and returning kicks? I have a feeling we might kick to him a lot, because kicking to Keenan & Lowe is suicidal

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Pretty good actually. But he’s not big. So definitely the weakest link out of those three.
Borthwick loves a bit of tactical kicking. Keenan claims everything and Lowe’s boot is insane, so I reckon Nash might be the one

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Almost an understatement! An Irish rugby pundit described Borthwick's England as "like playing against an Excel spreadsheet"
Except this excel spreadsheet is poorly formatted and full of circular references :(

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Watching a lot of Super Rugby these days and it feels like the clock never stops in there, they just keep it running at most scrums & stoppages

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Louis Lynagh, who got his mother's genes, will make his debut for Italy and Scotland. His brother Tom, who got his father's genes went off injured in the Queensland Reds 25 19 win over the Chiefs in Super Rugby Pacific.

The reigning champion Crusaders have started the season with 3 straight losses for the first time since 1996, the inaugural season of Super12. That year they finished dead last. I'm not going to predict something as grim as that but with a new coaching staff and the likes of Mo'unga, Whitelock and Leicester Fainga'anuku all overseas, the men from Christchurch are under the pump.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
When I started watching this game, Italy were winning 3-0. Since then, their defence has been cut apart.