Rugby World Cup 2019 aka Squishy McSquish goes into a meltdown thread

kidbob

Namibia Canada is off.
It's not mentioned enough but I feel for these teams too. In a competition where you are inevitably going to lose every game this game is a huge one for both nations, one they could target for a win. Not every game has to be a tier one nation to matter and it sucks that neither side will get the chance to win a game.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
It's not mentioned enough but I feel for these teams too. In a competition where you are inevitably going to lose every game this game is a huge one for both nations, one they could target for a win. Not every game has to be a tier one nation to matter and it sucks that neither side will get the chance to win a game.
For sure. They've worked towards this for 4 years too.

kidbob

Also not sure where to put this but World Rugby need to work out a system that allows Fiji, Tonga, Samoa and Japan more game time. Maybe have a 4 nations between these countries ala the 6 nations and the rugby championship. Incredible potential there, particularly Fiji. They need more time together as a team and more chances to play against the best. Also it would help them avoid being poached (which by the way NZ are the least culpable of this despite common thought). There is every chance for Rugby to extend to a broader sport with the right moves and investments, the talent is there.

Anyone doubting this should look at Connacht. They have consistently had their best players taken by the other Irish provinces, yet in 2015-16 won the pro 14 (against my own team no less). @unchanged_lineup would probably be better suited to inform people of the difference that simply believing in teams and allowing them the investment for good coaching can make. There is a huge opportunity for expansion right now with the right moves made by those at the top.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Also not sure where to put this but World Rugby need to work out a system that allows Fiji, Tonga, Samoa and Japan more game time. Maybe have a 4 nations between these countries ala the 6 nations and the rugby championship. Incredible potential there, particularly Fiji. They need more time together as a team and more chances to play against the best. Also it would help them avoid being poached (which by the way NZ are the least culpable of this despite common thought). There is every chance for Rugby to extend to a broader sport with the right moves and investments, the talent is there.

Anyone doubting this should look at Connacht. They have consistently had their best players taken by the other Irish provinces, yet in 2015-16 won the pro 14 (against my own team no less). @unchanged_lineup would probably be better suited to inform people of the difference that simply believing in teams and allowing them the investment for good coaching can make. There is a huge opportunity for expansion right now with the right moves made by those at the top.
And from nearly going out of existence 10yrs before too. I've just finished reading the book on that season and what gets emphasized time and again is breaking through that barrier of stringing together performances, wanting more from yourselves, rather than just getting the odd one-off victory against the odds.

kidbob

And from nearly going out of existence 10yrs before too. I've just finished reading the book on that season and what gets emphasized time and again is breaking through that barrier of stringing together performances, wanting more from yourselves, rather than just getting the odd one-off victory against the odds.
In my opinion is the best achievement by an Irish province. Probably the one and only time I was sad Leinster lost but happy about who inflicted that loss. Since then I have wanted nothing more than Lam to coach Ireland one day, man's a genius. I honestly feel like if the right system is put in place then we could see 3-4 new teams challenge the current elite. It'd be great for the game.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
In my opinion is the best achievement by an Irish province. Probably the one and only time I was sad Leinster lost but happy about who inflicted that loss. Since then I have wanted nothing more than Lam to coach Ireland one day, man's a genius. I honestly feel like if the right system is put in place then we could see 3-4 new teams challenge the current elite. It'd be great for the game.
Andy Friend is the right kind of coach too. I'm not sure how it can be applied to the tier 2 nations though. Connacht also have an ample amount of games per season no matter what (after it was decided they'd survive). There has to be the will to give these teams meaningful matches.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Absolutely nothing to lose now though. If that and all that's happened during the week doesn't put them in a frame of mind to pull up trees, nothing will.

You would think so, wouldn't you. Although, you could say the same about Japan. Again, not to repeat myself here, but this has the makings of a cracking game. I don't care who goes through, tbh. Would just hate for it to be called off and neither team having the chance to settle it fairly.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Was just reading that organisers are "optimistic" that the game will go ahead. Confident that it will now.

RedDevilRoshi

Delivery trucks going into the stadium :D
Don’t know how to post tweets but 1-2 reporters up here who are pretty reliable when it comes to Scottish Rugby are also claiming that they are confident the game will be given the go-ahead.

Again still keeping my fingers crossed though until it’s officially confirmed but early rumoured signs are looking pretty good.

RedDevilRoshi

After everything that has happened with the potential postponement and the legal case from the SRU, if the game officially goes ahead we surely have to win it now!

Can’t afford to get knocked out now otherwise, talking about having egg or “haggis” on your face will be an understatement.

RedDevilRoshi

Didn’t see the Ireland vs Samoa game today but looked like Ireland comfortably swept the Samoans away with 14 men after Aki’s red in the 1st half. Was it a red?

Tomorrow (this morning) the group games finally conclude and so far the only game to officially been called off is Namibia vs Canada. 3 games to hopefully go ahead are:

USA vs Tonga
Wales vs Uruguay
Japan vs Scotland - C’MON Scotland!!!!

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Didn’t see the Ireland vs Samoa game today but looked like Ireland comfortably swept the Samoans away with 14 men after Aki’s red in the 1st half. Was it a red?

Tomorrow (this morning) the group games finally conclude and so far the only game to officially been called off is Namibia vs Canada. 3 games to hopefully go ahead are:

USA vs Tonga
Wales vs Uruguay
Japan vs Scotland - C’MON Scotland!!!!
Aki had a high challenge on the Samoan players head so not too many complaints about his red though I’ve seen them give a yellow for similar. Aki will be disappointed. Will he miss the next game?

In the end though, as the score line showed, it didn’t make much difference.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
But bitching the whole time about how it has to be played

:lol:

There’s going to be some serious butthurt should Japan win
Do you have me mixed up with someone else?

Not sure I see a point anyway. Of course the decision of whether it should go ahead or not pales when there's a new context of 19 people dead and more missing.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Stephen Jones causing trouble
https://www.the42.ie/irfu-allegation-sunday-times-4849425-Oct2019/
IRFU refute 'scurrilous allegation' that they were opposed to rearranging Japan v Scotland match
A DAY ON from Ireland sealing a place in the Rugby World Cup quarter-finals, the IRFU have issued a statement to refute claims made in The Sunday Times’ by columnist Stephen Jones.

Referred to as ‘false claims’ by the IRFU, Jones writes that Ireland and New Zealand were ‘vehemently opposed’ to the possible rearrangement of the Pool A fixture between Japan and Scotland.

Last edited: