Rugby World Cup 2019 aka Squishy McSquish goes into a meltdown thread

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Usually love watching Wales play but my god were they tumescent and lacking in imagination. England and Wales seem to have switched places.
They were so poor today. I don't find them particularly pleasing on the eye, anyway - i find them more functional and extremely well disciplined, normally - but today they were shocking. Surprisingly their defence was terrible. Not something you normally say about Wales.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Uppa Sheep shaggers!!

We were awful but feck em. feck em all.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
France aren't poor in the 6 nations. Unless if you are only talking about the last years, in that case it's mainly due to a poorer generation but the kids are currently pretty good.
They've been poor for many years. What have you been watching? They were feared for decades but not for a long time now.

RoyH1

But there is a difference between the team deserving something and a player penalising his team. If anything the 14 other players did very well for 30 minutes only conceding a contestable try.
This is true. Those 14 must be seething at Vahaamina (apologize for what is sure to be wrong spelling).

On another note, can someone remind me why Waren Gatland is so highly rated as a head coach?

The Cat

This is true. Those 14 must be seething at Vahaamina (apologize for what is sure to be wrong spelling).

On another note, can someone remind me why Waren Gatland is so highly rated as a head coach?
Look at what he's won. He's had a great career. Will be massively missed next year

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They've been poor for many years. What have you been watching? They were feared for decades but not for a long time now.
There is a range between feared and poor, France have been poor a few years and average most of the time since 2011, which to me is "the last years".

The Cat

There is a range between feared and poor, France have been poor a few years and average most of the time since 2011, which to me is "the last years".
Fair enough I'm just older I guess. The championship needs a strong French team.

JPRouve

Scout
Fair enough I'm just older I guess. The championship needs a strong French team.
If you are older it should work the other way around, the perception of last years should cover a longer period.:p

diarm

In an era when Welsh teams have offered very little at domestic and European level, and with very shallow depth of talent available to him, he has consistently put forward Welsh sides that compete and win in the Six Nations and have made 2 world cup semi finals.

Himself and Edwards have massively overachieved with Wales.

The Cat

If you are older it should work the other way around, the perception of last years should cover a longer period.:p
I'm going back to the 70s and 80s and even some of the 90s. We really feared them every time an absolutely brutal and beautiful team

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Vahaamahina should never play for France again. It's not like it's the first time with him and he's completely let down the other warriors who stepped up and deserved to win that match for France today.

Wales squeak through but they'll be better in the semi final and that will be an absolute war if as expected, South Africa progress.

I suspect Japan might still squeak through here though.
I think SA will win today, but I imagine Wales would struggle with Japan more.

JPRouve

Scout
I'm going back to the 70s and 80s and even some of the 90s. We really feared them every time an absolutely brutal and beautiful team
That's why I said the last years, France were dominant in the 2000s and won the tournament 5 times between 2000 and 2010.

The Cat

That's why I said the last years, France were dominant in the 2000s and won the tournament 5 times between 2000 and 2010.
Yes and that's why I said they've been so disappointing recently. Sometimes looking clueless and even can't be arsed on occasions

diarm

Cheslin Kolbe was going to town on that inhaler inside the dressing room. You'd wonder how someone could be so asthmatic and still function as an elite athlete.

Duafc

Village Lemon
I think SA will win today, but I imagine Wales would struggle with Japan more.
Watching the Wales offering today I think they'll struggle regardless, particularly with the amount of injuries they looked to pick up.

That said I think this Wales team is better against better teams, don't think they enjoyed being the favourites today. I think Japan would make them look much like they made Ireland look - you never know the deeper the tournament gets though.

Balljy

Vahaamahina should never play for France again. It's not like it's the first time with him and he's completely let down the other warriors who stepped up and deserved to win that match for France today.
His attitude to being sent off was the worst bit. Patting people on the back and applauding like he was being subbed. I was surprised the rest of the team didn't snub him.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Cheslin Kolbe was going to town on that inhaler inside the dressing room. You'd wonder how someone could be so asthmatic and still function as an elite athlete.
UFC fighter and former NFL player used one between rounds 2 and 3 this weekend.

Mental, and in that case, illegal. Had his win taken off him.

Wonder is it slightly placebic.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Think SA will have too much and have seen enough of Japan to be prepared - expect a high scoring game but think Japan have shown they're a bit too easy to score against despite their qualities.

Hoping for a Japan win though!

diarm

UFC fighter and former NFL player used one between rounds 2 and 3 this weekend.

Mental, and in that case, illegal. Had his win taken off him.

Wonder is it slightly placebic.
My mate here beside me said the exact same thing as we were watching it.

diarm

Will the TMO call that back for a red card review?

Edit: No. Hmm. Not sure that Barnes did the best thing there.
He should have gone with TMO there. It's too big a decision in a world cup QF not to use the technology available to have a second look. Pure arrogance from Barnes.