Rules you would change about the Premier League?

PoTMS

Halfway through the league, Liverpool should have their points total halved.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I disagree with binning the League Cup, but I do think Premier League teams should have to field an Olympic Games style squad, 3 nominated players over the age of 23, and the rest have to be younger, perhaps even a certain amount from the academy.

Give it a dimension the FA Cup doesn't have, and increase the chances of a non PL team winning a cup at the same time.

No extra time in two legged ties in any competition. Straight to penalties. Extra time is 30 minutes of additional home advantage for one team.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I disagree with binning the League Cup, but I do think Premier League teams should have to field an Olympic Games style squad, 3 nominated players over the age of 23, and the rest have to be younger, perhaps even a certain amount from the academy.

Give it a dimension the FA Cup doesn't have, and increase the chances of a non PL team winning a cup at the same time.

No extra time in two legged ties in any competition. Straight to penalties. Extra time is 30 minutes of additional home advantage for one team.
And 30 minutes of additional time for the away team to score the all important away goal.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Good point. The ball is not considered over the line unless the entire ball is over the line. Should be the same for a player. Would require VAR to make it work as a linesman can't get it right now.
They have a hard time now because it is so tight to make the call right. If there needs to be clear daylight it would make it easier for the AR. It still won't be perfect all the time, but I think they will get the call correct more often than they are now...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Something a bit more general. I think the winter transfer window should be abolished. It just makes it even harder for the little guys to cause an upset. A small team somehow shocking the world with a fantastic performance from august to december will just lose their star player in the winter transfer window to a big club. That's lame imho.

You finish the season with the squad you start it with. End of story.

peridigm

They have a hard time now because it is so tight to make the call right. If there needs to be clear daylight it would make it easier for the AR. It still won't be perfect all the time, but I think they will get the call correct more often than they are now...
I think it would be worse without VAR. How often do you see the lineman behind the runners. If he's looking for clear space at an angle, it will appear there is none when in fact there is. About the same when they call someone onside/offside because of his perspective view. VAR is not perfect but I think it's needed.

I don't disagree with your idea though. A player and ball should be bound by the same rules when a line is involved, whether real or imaginary.

red4ever 79

I would bring back the foreigners rule. SO must have minimum 6 homegrown players in the match day squad. I would put a cap on spending in a 12 month period, say 100m. I would bring in NFL draft once per season which would further add to the excitement.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Only 2 subs allowed from a bench of 3.

Refs to have microphones and have to explain their decisions (like in American football).

Independent timekeeping, like Rugby.

3 active balls on the pitch for the last 25 minutes.

SER19

Buying the league title probably shouldn’t be allowed.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Change the pre match toss to a who wants to be a millionaire type question for which the player with the answer closest to the correct one gets to choose.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
And 30 minutes of additional time for the away team to score the all important away goal.
In Europe, yes.

There's no away goals in the Football League playoffs. Is there away goals in the League Cup? I can't remember.

I'd do away with away goals too actually. You can advance a two legged tie with 2 draws, which seems crazy to me. You should have to win.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
In Europe, yes.

There's no away goals in the Football League playoffs. Is there away goals in the League Cup? I can't remember.

I'd do away with away goals too actually. You can advance a two legged tie with 2 draws, which seems crazy to me. You should have to win.
I think away goals only count after ET in the League Cup which of course makes no sense at all.

I definitely agree that the away goal rule should be abolished, it would perhaps stop teams from being so conservative in the first leg as well, and give us more extra times.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Clubs from all divisions should get a large chunk of the TV money based on the amount of players aged 21 or younger they give minutes too. More minutes = more money.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I think it would be worse without VAR. How often do you see the lineman behind the runners. If he's looking for clear space at an angle, it will appear there is none when in fact there is. About the same when they call someone onside/offside because of his perspective view. VAR is not perfect but I think it's needed.

I don't disagree with your idea though. A player and ball should be bound by the same rules when a line is involved, whether real or imaginary.
I completely agree that VAR is needed. Mind you, the AR's also need to be in the right positions on the last defender...

Briman63

Supports
Liverpool
3pts for a win, 2pts for a score draw and 1pt for a goalless draw. also introduce sin bins for second yellows and you can only change your manager during the transfer window.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Scraps allowed like in hockey

Sniper up on gantry taking shots at the crowd depending on who is scoring. So if your team scores once he gets to shoot once at the oppo fans

Goalposts should have barbed wire and flames wrapped around them

The pitch should have giant robot-wars style house robots who assault players when they stray near the edge of the pitch, and the center of the pitch should have random land mines

Gunge machines to be installed on the dugouts do coaches get randomly covered in slime

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
-Allow 5 substitutions per match instead of 3
-Matches on Saturdays and Sundays only, none of this Friday or Monday crap
-Do away with the league cup. Absolutely no need for two domestic cups
-Cut away as many international breaks as possible
Good points here. The last point is more or less OK at the moment with the Nations League or whatever is it called.
I would add clock stop when the ball goes out of play and time limits for teams to take their set-pieces. There are corners who lasts for minutes until they are taken, for crying out loud!

TheReligion

Abusive
Not quite on-topic but make the FA Cup special again by having the semi-finals away from Wembley and don't have so many weekend games televised over such a protracted period.

I'm generally happy with the rules as they stand but understand and broadly agree with the stoppage time and offside suggestions.

All pundits must be forced to undertake an exam on the rules of the game and be fully conversant with the difference between football now and football in 1995.
This this this

Farfetched

Not an actual rule change, but a change in how the current rule book is enforced; how about ensuring all rules are applied fairly, evenly and consistently in every game across the league, one exception being PoTMS rule that Liverpool get nil points for a win.

xonyo

Supports
Arsenal
Retrospective red cards for offences the referee gave a yellow for.

paulscholes18

Refs wear microphones
Change GD to results Vs teams if level on points
Bring in VAR

hungrywing

Clubs from all divisions should get a large chunk of the TV money based on the amount of players aged 21 or younger they give minutes too. More minutes = more money.
Commie bastard. RedSky indeed.

Interesting idea, though.

Scraps allowed like in hockey

Sniper up on gantry taking shots at the crowd depending on who is scoring. So if your team scores once he gets to shoot once at the oppo fans

Goalposts should have barbed wire and flames wrapped around them

The pitch should have giant robot-wars style house robots who assault players when they stray near the edge of the pitch, and the center of the pitch should have random land mines

Gunge machines to be installed on the dugouts do coaches get randomly covered in slime
Someone watched Mad Max recently.

Cal?

CR7 fan
All the United fans in this thread and no one mentions the one change that will help the club the most. :eek:

Break the TV deal, every club get to negotiate their own.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
What would it accomplish? Champions from lesser represented countries should get a better shot at being in the proper tournament without having to play 3-4 qualifying rounds.
A higher quality competition.

If teams can't get through the qualifying rounds they have no business being in Europe's elite competition.

Personally I'd rather see Real Madrid vs Chelsea than Real Madrid vs Viktoria Plzeň.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Commie bastard. RedSky indeed.

Interesting idea, though.
:lol: It's one of the ways I see that might actually push clubs to give their youth a go. We're getting really bad in this country at promoting youth. To give you some numbers...

In France (Ligue 1), the first 5 games 18,647mins have been played from players aged 21 and younger. In England it's 7,223. If you look at the amount of minutes teenagers get, in England it's 1,361mins, in France it's 3,593. If we gave a cash incentive for clubs to give youth a go, then at least it provides them with an extra income revenue. It also provides clubs who are in financial difficulty a way of getting money by playing youth.

hungrywing

:lol: It's one of the ways I see that might actually push clubs to give their youth a go. We're getting really bad in this country at promoting youth. To give you some numbers...

In France (Ligue 1), the first 5 games 18,647mins have been played from players aged 21 and younger. In England it's 7,223. If you look at the amount of minutes teenagers get, in England it's 1,361mins, in France it's 3,593. If we gave a cash incentive for clubs to give youth a go, then at least it provides them with an extra income revenue. It also provides clubs who are in financial difficulty a way of getting money by playing youth.
Yeah, earlier I was trying to think of how the higher-league teams would approach trying to argue against it. What the legal loopholes might be, how the players' association might think of it, ways to weight the payout proportion etc.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yeah, earlier I was trying to think of how the higher-league teams would approach trying to argue against it. What the legal loopholes might be, how the players' association might think of it, ways to weight the payout proportion etc.
I'd take a chunk of the tv money, say 60m.

Then have higher values payouts depending on the players age. So 500mins for an 18 year old gets more money than 500mins for a 21 year old. Then if you wanted to be really fancy, you could add extra value so an 18 year old who gets 500mins in Premier League gets more money than a 18 year old in League One.

Tyrion

No points for nil-nils This means every team starts off with nothing and has to earn points and there's no incentive to defend the whole game.

thekman

Supports
Juventus
Play-off Spots for 4th Place

The Premiership is a fantastic league but can I imagine feel somewhat repetitive for a core of footballing fans whose teams never really compete and are also never under the threat of relegation. To combat this so that there is more urgency and excitement to mid table campaigns I would have places 4th - 7th compete in a one week knockout tournament (one week following the regular season) all taking place in the stadium of the 4th seed (for example Man Utd or Arsenal). 4th Place get a huge advantage but crucially for teams under the threshold of the contenders, there is a new buzz about the season with the attainable goal of making the play-offs. This I feel would add so much to mid table clashes that currently don't mean that much to the neutral as suddenly a random January tie between teams placed 9th and 11th but both within 5 points of the play-offs has added resonance and a sense of urgency. It might seem unfair in seasons when 4th place finishes so far ahead of the pack but I feel its worth it for the added entertainment factor it would bring to the mid-table. So yes after mocking Arsenal for it all these years, I'm basically suggesting a 4th placed trophy :)