Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Raoul

Admin
Staff
A bit soon? Thought they're a couple of hours away.
Probably, but if things don't dramatically stop soon, that's where it appears we're headed.

I would imagine Putin's inner circle will scamper back to St. Pete and fight it out from there unless Prigozhin is stopped before he reaches Moscow.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Probably, but if things don't dramatically stop soon, that's where it appears we're headed.

I would imagine Putin's inner circle will scamper back to St. Pete and fight it out from there unless Prigozhin is stopped before he reaches Moscow.
Or Putin orders his bombers to pound them to dust, no matter the civilian cost. I still think this is the most likely outcome. He can't risk a fight in Moscow's suburbs with uncertain outcome, especially against Bakhmut hardened Wagners. This would also be a show of strength. I think this option is more likely by the minute, but Prigozhin also must expect something like this.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Doesn’t this feel a bit like Wagner are not expecting to have to actually fight. The idea that they’d do all this without the confidence that they won’t get slaughtered seems a bit far-fetched.

What’s the odds on ‘bloodless coup’? Let me check bet365

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Or Putin orders his bombers to pound them to dust, no matter the civilian cost. I still think this is the most likely outcome. He can't risk a fight in Moscow suburbs with uncertain outcome, especially against Bakhmut hardened Wagners. This would also be a show of strength. I think this option is more likely by the minute, but Prigozhin also must expect something like this.
He would need to do it quickly while the Wagner guys are en route to Moscow, instead of in a big city. They are already not so far away apparently.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I can’t find a definition that specifically involves civilians.
The one you posted is similar to the ones I know and would stick to. But there are some that go into more detail and factor in a bit more.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
But how much of this is as a result of Putin sending these places, both very nasty pieces of work.
Much of it is a result of their own character individually and as a group. It would be fair to chastise Putin and whoever used them but they are entirely responsible for their actions with zero mitigating factors.

NYAS

Putin looks like he might get overthrown by Prigozhin, the head of Wagner Group.

It's trading one madman for an even more cunning and evil man. Could mean a military dictatorship in Russia.

If we can get past the schadenfreude of Putin getting toppled, this is bad for the world.
Prigozhin, a former cook of Putin, decided to take power in Russia. He leads a mercenary group called "Wagner" that fought in Ukraine since the start of the war. Putin gave Prigozhin free reign to equip his Wagners with military equipment and men. But after some time, the Kremlin and Russian MoD decided Wagner became too strong and dangerous and forced them so sign a contract which would subordinate them to Russian MoD and thus end their independence. But Prigozhin doesn't want to give up his new power and go back to cooking, so he played his last card and started a rebellion in Russia to overthrow Putin's regime.
Thanks

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Am I wrong in thinking this guy makes Putin look pleasant?
At those levels of immorality it's hard to compare but he is certainly a terrible person by any and all accounts.

But of course the reality of geopolitics is that how nice a person is or what their intentions are matter an enormous amount less than what the actual outcomes of their actions will be.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Despite roadblocks, they're getting closer and apparently prepare the citizens of their arrival:

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Rostov getting the Ukraine treatment: Looting started.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Despite roadblocks, they're getting closer and apparently prepare the citizens of their arrival:

The only way Wagner can win this is if they the population on board with treating them as some sort of liberating force. If that is indeed what is happening and Putin is losing his grip on the citizenry then surely the house of cards around him will run for the hills out of self preservation.

sepulturite

That was the joke :lol:

Did I need to post a pic of Segal's bonce in a chef's hat?
:lol: :lol: I had a feeling that's what you meant alright!

Yeh you probably did, some of these in here are probably to young to remember Under Siege and Mr. Seagal :lol: