Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Longshanks

Or they'd just fire cruise missiles at our power plants which we can't defend because we have nothing to shoot them down with?

75 cruise missiles and the lights and power go out across the UK.
And a full scale Nato retaliation starts. And where that would lead i dread to think. It would be a war with no winners.

In that scenario the lights and power going out in the UK would be the least of our concerns.

Mike Smalling

Heartwarming how the Poles and Romanians are welcoming the refugees. Small bright spot in this mess.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
People don't appreciate just how much better the US military is than any other in the world either. They spend more on defence per year than the 9 other countries in the top 10 combined! Putin is banking on the West giving up nations because of the political cost domestically. If it came to real non-nuclear hot war then the Russian army would be obliterated with relative ease.
why would he enter a real non-nuclear hot war then? It's obvious he'd lose that one. Which is why he wouldn't.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I disagreed with the insinuation that nations choosing to join NATO is an alternative to the idea that NATO expanded to the east. Both are true not one or the other.
That wasn't really what I was insinuating. You misunderstood me. I was saying exactly what you're saying.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
All this stuff about “now is the time for NATO to step up, stop being wimps” is doing my head in.

As a guy enrolled in the army in a NATO country (through mandatory duty until the age of 44), I’m not so sure I’m ready to die just yet.
I simply can’t see any upside at all to start flexing muscle until it’s the actual last resort.
I’m literally scared shitless for the (inevitable?) phone call about “start preparing - war might be coming”, and even more scared if shit actually hits the fan across the entire continent.
I’m not ready to become cannon fodder because of a megalomaniac.
Call me a pussy, it’s fine.
But I imagine a lot of you guys on here are actually in real danger of being called to combat if things escalate properly. And if you answer truly, are you really ready for that? Are you really ready to die? I know I’m not. And that’s a very real and very possible consequence of escalating things.
You have to understand the viewpoint of the side being invaded though. Coming from a country who was attacked. For years. You feel abandoned by the rest of the world as they watch you get slaughtered and it essentially turned into a situation where an entirely avoidable genocide happened, with the rest just sitting idly by. And only then when it was too late did they step in and stop it. Its about not abandoning Ukraine the same way Bosnia was abandoned for much of the 90s. That's why you see so many calling for NATO to step in, because they are practically the only ones who can properly step in before things descend into true horror for them.

Sure, I get all the risks with it as well. I get that nobody wants to invite WW3. I get that nobody wants to incite a nuclear war. Nobody wants to go to war in the first place... But in the process, you sacrifice a country of 45 million people to fall to Putin, and then hope that's all he wanted so he stops. Coming from a country that was abandoned and under siege for 4 years, I don't think I can ever support that point of view of essentially sacrificing Ukraine and not stepping in. Of course, there are a million things that can be done and should be done before it comes to stepping in with their military to attempt to calm the situation. But thats my thought process at least. I get it, but I don't necessarily like it or agree with it.

Nobody wants war, but war is here, and from there you have to take steps to stop it before they get out of hand, not sit back and wait for atrocities to happen.

Revan

Assumptionman
Borrell makes it official that Putin and Lavrov have been sanctioned, though apparently not travel banned.

It probably means nothing cause it is unlikely they hold money in EU, still though it points that we are beyond the point of no return.

bosnian_red

They sent out an alert here in Ontario this morning around 6am. Typically they are about abducted children and this one was but when it woke me up my first thought was 'here it is, we're all gonna die'.
I somehow sleep right through all of those every time. But it's funny when I woke up and saw the notification my brain went there too

Water Melon

Yes, exactly, which is why I hope his demands for NATO members which joined after 1997 to leave NATO is just a bluff.
Idiotic bluff that triggered NATO to act. If air defense systems are in place in time, I do not see a Putin win.

Skåre Willoch

You have to understand the viewpoint of the side being invaded though.
Oh, 100%. And not at all was my post was aimed at Ukraine or Ukrainians. It was aimed at citizens from any of the other 44 European countries not involved in this fight, and calling for everyone to “step up” from behind their keyboards.

Droid_Repairs

The live webcam view of Maidan Square in Kiev, which has been broadcasting for over a week, suddenly went out about 20 minutes ago. People in the comments section saying the nearby power station was hit and there's a blackout in downtown Kiev.

Absolutely no source for that though.

Here's the dead camera, you can rewind 20 minutes before it goes out. Looks unremarkable before it happens.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Idiotic bluff that triggered NATO to act. If air defense systems are in place in time, I do not see a Putin win.
Let's hope it stays that way. NATO activating response force worries me, to be honest. It's another step towards escalation.

Simbo

The live webcam view of Maidan Square in Kiev, which has been broadcasting for over a week, suddenly went out about 20 minutes ago. People in the comments section saying the nearby power station was hit and there's a blackout in downtown Kiev.

Here's the dead camera, you can rewind 20 minutes before it goes out. Looks unremarkable before it happens.

Power plant was definately being hit, 2nd webcam in other part of city i was watching just went down.

Water Melon

They are off, but the reason is different. On purpose, is all I can say.

Simbo

edit: Rumours of flights grounded at Heathrow grossly over-exagerated.

BA website is down but that's not a big deal.

Last edited:

Water Melon

Come on the heroic nation. Hold on. The world is on your side morally and materially.

bosnian_red

Oh, 100%. And not at all was my post was aimed at Ukraine or Ukrainians. It was aimed at citizens from any of the other 44 European countries not involved in this fight, and calling for everyone to “step up” from behind their keyboards.
That's fair too. Its an impossible situation. Even me as a Bosnian wishes on one hand Bosnia would do all they can (not much in reality) to help out as they understand the struggle not too long ago, while also at the same time selfishly thinking if we do that then the little protection that we have is gone and we'd be fully fecked. And even still if it does progress to war in Bosnia, I have loads of family still there and I have no idea what would come of them, but I also wouldn't be prepared to fly over there to go get killed. Everyone can talk about what they feel is "right" but also people just want to live their own lives in peace, and unless it comes to them directly where they don't have a choice, won't want to leave their position of comfort. Which is entirely fair.

I never agree with mandatory enlisting and all that .. but at the same time, in a situation like Ukraine right now, I can't blame it and it's a tough one. If any of us were there, would you pick up a gun and try to fight, or would you try to escape first? Id bet the vast majority would try to escape and nobody could blame them.

dinostar77

BRUSSELS, Feb 25 (Reuters) - NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said on Friday the alliance was deploying parts of its combat-ready response force and would continue to send weapons to Ukraine, including air defences, while saying that Russia was trying to topple the Ukrainian government.

Stoltenberg said that NATO was deploying elements of its rapid response force, which is made up of land, air, maritime and special operations forces, on allied territory.

"We are now deploying the NATO response force for the first time in the context of collective defence," he said.

Droid_Repairs

Borrell makes it official that Putin and Lavrov have been sanctioned, though apparently not travel banned.

It probably means nothing cause it is unlikely they hold money in EU, still though it points that we are beyond the point of no return.
Beyond the point of return in what sense?

RedDevilQuebecois

You do wonder how COVID has impacted this whole situation, and more pertinently the recovery from it. And not simply just in sending Vlad the Mad further round the bend.

As Western/EU/Scandinavian countries look to be reaching the end of their pandemics, thanks to their vaccines and natural immunity nullifying the worst of new variants, Russia is sort of still on the flip side.

I'm sure Putin is very wary of the optics and potential impact on his public perception of a situation where Western Europe and even some former Soviet states are able to step ahead of Russia in their recovery process.
For me, it's just horrible to even think how a government can remove health care professionals from their jobs at home just to serve on the front lines while people are still dying at home. Isn't it any government's job to protect its own citizens no matter what?

Putin has too much ego to accept that things needed to be done differently to fight COVID, whether that's through vaccine mandates like it's done in many countries (including China despite how ineffective their vaccines are over there, but that's a whole different debate), by swallowing his national pride by buying shipments of the most effective vaccines as backups, or by pushing for a full revamp the entire health care structure.