Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Oldham

Thanks so much for all the updates here...
And fantastic to see members of redcafe making real efforts to help out!

Don't Kill Bill

That might well be his plan, but I just don't see that it's ever going to work. The entire reason Ukraine is being invaded is because they're not yet in NATO. I guess they could try it on Finland, but odds are they will join NATO long before that. I also don't think Russia has any desire to invade Finland. Finland is also in the EU, so that's another potential issue.
I don't think it will work either but for all this to happen Putin must be on a different page to everyone else.

Simbo

The livestream here just added a new Kyiv livecam, got the sound coming from it too, bottom right.

Doesn't sound as bad as things not too long ago but i'm seeing quite a few explosions in the distance currently

Ananke

Why doesn't nato, russia and these smaller countries in between both of them sign agreements that they won't join nato if russia guarantees it won't invade them ? Russia wants a buffer between them and nato so i dont think they'll mind this arrangement.
Didn’t Ukraine denuclearise in assurance for its security, in an agreement between them, US, UK and Russia back in the 90s?

And look where we are now.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Interesting response from Kazakhstan.

Probably because they had / are having civil unrest of their own and the army came down pretty hard on the general populace. If they left there’d be a revolution.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
Maybe this is idealistic, but would a separate thread with a list of all the posters nearby who are able and willing to help be useful?

I've noticed a few posters offering aid, money for shelters rides etc. I've already lost track - I can't imagine viewing this forum in a war zone.

I'm sure we have Ukrainian members of this place and if they are looking for help it has to be easy to find.

My idea is basically a separate thread and a maybe a news item at the top of the page.

Thoughts? @Niall @Raoul @golden_blunder @Penna

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Not if we had a real EU defense army capable of protecting Europe (Including Greece against Erdogan) independently of how Pennsylvania voted in the last American election.
If it was an army that didn't garner the immediate support of the US, and have access to its arsenal, I think Putin would fancy his chances.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So it seems like the battle for Kyiv has well and truly started...this will be a rough night.

Precaution

The livestream here just added a new Kyiv livecam, got the sound coming from it too, bottom right.

Doesn't sound as bad as things not too long ago but i'm seeing quite a few explosions in the distance currently

Sounds like a few gunfights in Kiev at the moment (if its bottom right audio) seems nasty.

Don't Kill Bill

… by attacking a non-NATO country?
Which NATO has said numerous times they won’t defend with military personnel?
Which said themselves they expect no backing from NATO?
And has forced NATO and the US to say in the clearest way possible that they will defend any NATO country with full and devastating force (which was to be expected)?
If he wins in Ukraine then Putin sees Russia as stronger and having re-established itself as a military super power. The point would be he doesn't have to attack just show force and get the pay off.
Who wants to be the country telling him to feck off NATO or non NATO.

I think he is wrong but I think this might be the way he sees it and this level of risk has to be about more than Ukraine.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
NATO should have been dissolved when the soviet union collapsed
Where do you come from and where do you live now? Just so we are clear on your expertise and bias.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I suggest you dive deeper as to why NATO was formed in the first place.
To ultimately prevent the Soviet Union from expanding into new territory? It might have a different name, but the Kremlin appears to be exhibiting pretty familiar aims. Sure we would have seen this crap from Putin a lot sooner without NATO.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Maybe this is idealistic, but would a separate thread with a list of all the posters nearby who are able and willing to help be useful?

I've noticed a few posters offering aid, money for shelters rides etc. I've already lost track - I can't imagine viewing this forum in a war zone.

I'm sure we have Ukrainian members of this place and if they are looking for help it has to be easy to find.

My idea is basically a separate thread and a maybe a news item at the top of the page.

Thoughts? @Niall @Raoul @golden_blunder @Penna
Feel free to start one.

greatscott9930

Supports
St. Louis City Soccer Club
In the end, ukranian soldiers, civilians and russian soldiers will die for absolutely nothing, feck putin, feck nato
Wouldn't those Ukrainian soldiers and civilians have died for their country? Their sacrifice is noble, even though it was necessitated by Putin's idiotic behavior.

Precaution

Anyone savvy on Soviet era history? what was their essential downfall? i see Putin is angry because they broke up in the early 90's and pride and whatnot, its kinda weird how Russia wants so much territory when half if not all of Russia is in poverty... i cant see another Soviet style collapse for Russia or Putin topping himself, as bad as he is, he isnt Hitler and he has more balls than that.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
As a coalition to defend against Soviet/Russian invasion?!
Soviet Union specifically, so I just fail to see why NATO continued after the soviet union collapsed.

NATO attacked yugoslavia with no council approval, NATO attacked Gaddafi's convoy (not sure where the soviet/russian part is here) and now NATO has no balls to go in and support a country they wanted so much to join them (Ukraine)

It's just another tool used by the US to convince european countries they still need their protection to this day.

I suggest you read more about NATO, for me, I feel sorry for the ukranians who are dying while nato countries are supporting them on social media and by lighting buildings in yellow and blue...so again, feck the NATO and feck Putin.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Wouldn't those Ukrainian soldiers and civilians have died for their country? Their sacrifice is noble, even though it was necessitated by Putin's idiotic behavior.
No, because at the end of the day they will sit and have peace talks, the usual bullshit and all who died are just collateral, it's all about natural resources and who can get the lion's share out of it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Soviet Union specifically, so I just fail to see why NATO continued after the soviet union collapsed.

NATO attacked yugoslavia with no council approval, NATO attacked Gaddafi's convoy (not sure where the soviet/russian part is here) and now NATO has no balls to go in and support a country they wanted so much to join them (Ukraine)

It's just another tool used by the US to convince european countries they still need their protection to this day.

I suggest you read more about NATO, for me, I feel sorry for the ukranians who are dying while nato countries are supporting them on social media and by lighting buildings in yellow and blue...so again, feck the NATO and feck Putin.
As we're finding out this week, NATO was not only justified in continuing, but expanding as well. Maybe you should place the blame on the autocratic dictator who just launched a major war in Europe.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Whataboutism. This is about Ukraine, now, not past atrocities.
If hypothetically a year from now the west starts bombing some random country and putin comes and lectures the world about peace and tolerance he would be rightly called out as a hypocrite.

What to you is whataboutism is for someone else a personal loss. Take off your western tinted glasses, the entire world isn't the west.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

Guess it depends on what you consider to mark the collapse of the Soviet Union - certainly with Yugoslavia there's an argument to be made that this was the last component to fall. But you're right, NATO's existence today has expanded from its initial conceptions, although that's hardly a surprise. The alternative would probably be a similar organization formed with the same aims as we see today. You're ending up with it one way or another.

In regards to NATO's actions here, I think it's impossible for us to know the extent of their action/inaction in this instance - and nor should we have access to this information.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
If hypothetically a year from now the west starts bombing some random country and putin comes and lectures the world about peace and tolerance he would be rightly called out as a hypocrite.

What to you is whataboutism is for someone else a personal loss. Take off your western tinted glasses, the entire world isn't the west.
Well done on equaling a guy who's more dangerous to his people than to other nations with flawed democracies.

You and that Fredo guy can go have a cup in the alternative thinking cafe and praise each other.

Neo_Mufc

I'll be going to the downing street protest tomorrow in support of my colleagues in Kyiv. Really hope they are ok.

Boycott

For years Putin cultivated this image of being a tough guy and some kind of alpha male chauvanist. Zelensky is the one who has courage and strength. He's the one protecting his people and history will remember him as a great leader.