Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Reads like someone who's slept through the last three weeks, or just a Russki propagandist.
Yes, a Ukrainian scholar in Ukrainian and Russian wars with an impressive coterie of publications and institutional affiliations. I'm sure you know more than he does. His son is also not currently in the city of Mariupol being laid siege by Russians, so this means he's likely a Russian propagandist in the alternative reality some live in (italic for sarcasm here). This trend of sabotaging the person because you dislike their analysis for whatever biased reason needs to stop. It's becoming ludicrous.

Simbo

Yes, a Ukrainian scholar in Ukrainian and Russian wars with an impressive coterie of publications and institutional affiliations. I'm sure you know more than he does. His son is also not currently in the city of Mariupol being laid siege by Russians, so this means he's likely a Russian propagandist in the alternative reality some live in (italic for sarcasm here). This trend of sabotaging the person because you dislike their analysis for whatever biased reason needs to stop. It's becoming ludicrous.
I've no idea who he is but that makes his opinions even more strange, stand by my comments.

edit: I suppose if he has a child in Mariupol he would be desperate for any kind of peace deal so might explain his focus.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I've no idea who he is but that makes his opinions even more strange, stand by my comments.

edit: I suppose if he has a child in Mariupol he would be desperate for any kind of peace deal so might explain his focus.
I think his factual comments all stand up. Bear in mind, he's translating Ukrainian into English so sometimes you see rough sentences. Or if you've heard him speak, you'll understand.

Really don't get this part. He's not some sort of real-time OSINT analyst.
No, but check his feed. I've been following the NYT tracker for weeks and he's typically been ahead of it. Their map seems to mirror his reporting in places. Other than that, he clearly knows the material inside and out. No one has a live real-time feed unless you're in the military command, which is my point. Outside of that scenario to which none of us will be privy people like this are your next best thing. There are a couple dozen of them with the experience and expertise and some who are well positioned. Typically more informed than mainstream reporters who might break some story first but only after relaying so much crap before it, which is the price of access.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Last edited:

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Why Can’t the West Admit That Ukraine Is Winning?

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/03/ukraine-is-winning-war-russia/627121/

A sample extract:

"... most modern militaries rely on a strong cadre of noncommissioned officers. Sergeants make sure that vehicles are maintained and exercise leadership in squad tactics. The Russian NCO corps is today, as it has always been, both weak and corrupt. And without capable NCOs, even large numbers of technologically sophisticated vehicles deployed according to a compelling doctrine will end up broken or abandoned, and troops will succumb to ambushes or break under fire.

... Russian losses are staggering—between 7,000 and 14,000 soldiers dead, depending on your source, which implies (using a low-end rule of thumb about the ratios of such things) a minimum of nearly 30,000 taken off the battlefield by wounds, capture, or disappearance. Such a total would represent at least 15 percent of the entire invading force, enough to render most units combat ineffective. And there is no reason to think that the rate of loss is abating—in fact, Western intelligence agencies are briefing unsustainable Russian casualty rates of a thousand a day.

... The 1-to-1 ratio of vehicles destroyed to those captured or abandoned bespeaks an army that is unwilling to fight."

Last edited:

MTF

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/03/ukraine-is-winning-war-russia/627121/

A sample extract:

"... most modern militaries rely on a strong cadre of noncommissioned officers. Sergeants make sure that vehicles are maintained and exercise leadership in squad tactics. The Russian NCO corps is today, as it has always been, both weak and corrupt. And without capable NCOs, even large numbers of technologically sophisticated vehicles deployed according to a compelling doctrine will end up broken or abandoned, and troops will succumb to ambushes or break under fire. "
The responsibility of taking tactical initiative can fall to either NCOs or junior officers, but what it can't do is fall to neither.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Recently I can't read articles from the Atlantic on my phone. I open the link and I see a header, but literally no body text. And I can't scroll.
I've edited the post to include a few sample extracts:

"... most modern militaries rely on a strong cadre of noncommissioned officers. Sergeants make sure that vehicles are maintained and exercise leadership in squad tactics. The Russian NCO corps is today, as it has always been, both weak and corrupt. And without capable NCOs, even large numbers of technologically sophisticated vehicles deployed according to a compelling doctrine will end up broken or abandoned, and troops will succumb to ambushes or break under fire.

... Russian losses are staggering—between 7,000 and 14,000 soldiers dead, depending on your source, which implies (using a low-end rule of thumb about the ratios of such things) a minimum of nearly 30,000 taken off the battlefield by wounds, capture, or disappearance. Such a total would represent at least 15 percent of the entire invading force, enough to render most units combat ineffective. And there is no reason to think that the rate of loss is abating—in fact, Western intelligence agencies are briefing unsustainable Russian casualty rates of a thousand a day.

... The 1-to-1 ratio of vehicles destroyed to those captured or abandoned bespeaks an army that is unwilling to fight."

Raoul

Admin
Staff

A sample extract:

Solid article

FireballXL5

A sample extract:

Might upset Vlad.

MTF

Curiously enough, I don't trust fully Biden on this. Could be, but doesn't make sense because cruise missiles and short range ballistic missiles had seemed to be hitting targets in prior weeks. I also think in general (and I've mentioned this before) that he's not very disciplined when it comes to messaging. He's probably been briefed on what the military knows and doesn't know about this strike, but the official line so far had been that they were unable to confirm or deny.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
We've seen a lot of estimates about Russian losses, but I wonder what Ukrainian (military/paramilitary) losses are like. Presumably... higher?
No, presumably lower. Attackers usually suffer higher losses than defenders. Plus the Ukrainians know the terrain better and won't be suffering re-supply issues to the same degree as the Russians.

Also, from what I've read, the average Ukrainian soldier is better trained - and led more ably - than their Russian counterparts.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
They're already up and have been since the invasion began. Now, that may be due to other threat actors taking the opportunity during a crisis but yeah, I've assumed the west has been under massive cyber attack since this started.

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2022/03/16/658336.htm
The IT guy at my law firm also works as a security expert for ATOS (big cybersecurity company in western europe) and yeah, he's been pretty busy for the past months but he told me that nothing too serious has showed up so far.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So the Russians don’t have an NCO corps and also don’t have a commanding General who is responsible for the whole campaign. No wonder they’re making it up as they go.

The Firestarter

We've seen a lot of estimates about Russian losses, but I wonder what Ukrainian (military/paramilitary) losses are like. Presumably... higher?
No, much lower at least in the military. They have advantage of defence , it is said around 10-1 as a rule of thumb, although I am not sure for what type of force parity this usually pertains to.

RedDevilQuebecois

"... most modern militaries rely on a strong cadre of noncommissioned officers. Sergeants make sure that vehicles are maintained and exercise leadership in squad tactics. The Russian NCO corps is today, as it has always been, both weak and corrupt. And without capable NCOs, even large numbers of technologically sophisticated vehicles deployed according to a compelling doctrine will end up broken or abandoned, and troops will succumb to ambushes or break under fire."
That part has been echoed yesterday by Gen. David Petraeus when he made the last point to Jake Tapper on how and why 5 Russian generals have been picked off thus far in less than a month.

The most interesting comment on Youtube brought up an interesting point that explains the stark contrast between American/Western-inspired military and Russian military:

"The death of the generals is amplified by the lack of self direction identified in the lower ranks. That is the opposite of what one German general observed about American soldiers: he found them one and all to believe they were the next General Patton, and that the old military ploy of killing the leaders didn't work the same with American soldiers. The Russian front line personnel lack any knowledge of the overall strategies involved or overall goals of the campaign. They also have no way of honestly conveying what they are seeing on the battle field to the command level personnel because they have been taught that 'thinking wrong' will get them punished."

Last edited:

MadMike

So the Russians don’t have an NCO corps and also don’t have a commanding General who is responsible for the whole campaign. No wonder they’re making it up as they go.
Wut? Come on, that must must be just an internet meme.

Is the commander Putin from a work PC, with Command & Conquer: Red Alert loaded and simulating the war?

Last edited:

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Wut? Common, that must must be just an internet meme.

Is the commander Putin from a work PC, with Command & Conquer: Red Alert loaded and simulating the war?
According to reports, it appears that there are independent commanders for each front/theater rather than an overarching commander.

nimic

something nice
Scout
No, presumably lower. Attackers usually suffer higher losses than defenders. Plus the Ukrainians know the terrain better and won't be suffering re-supply issues to the same degree as the Russians.

Also, from what I've read, the average Ukrainian soldier is better trained - and led more ably - than their Russian counterparts.
True, but there's always the question of firepower.

I just fear we're making some wildly optimistic assumptions that are going to confuse us when dispelled.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
... The most interesting comment on Youtube brought up an interesting point that explains the stark contrast between American/Western-inspired military and Russian military:

"The death of the generals is amplified by the lack of self direction identified in the lower ranks. That is the opposite of what one German general observed about American soldiers: he found them one and all to believe they were the next General Patton, and that the old military ploy of killing the leaders didn't work the same with American soldiers. The Russian front line personnel lack any knowledge of the overall strategies involved or overall goals of the campaign. They also have no way of honestly conveying what they are seeing on the battle field to the command level personnel because they have been taught that 'thinking wrong' will get them punished."
Even worse, apparently many of the troops didn't even know - weren't told - that they were being sent to invade Ukraine. They initially thought that everything was just a continuation of the training exercises they were on.

MadMike

According to reports, it appears that there are independent commanders for each front/theater rather than an overarching commander.
I mean so long as these guys are all in a room and taking decisions collectively while redistributing their assets based on changing circumstances on the battlefield then it's fine. If they are in silos taking decisions individually and potentially even competing against each other to ingratiate themselves to uncle Vlad, then god help them.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
No historian but I think that's how they worked in WW2, although whether that was to stimulate the commanders to compete against each other to become the most successful, or whether it was to prevent a great commander from taking all the credit and becoming a threat to the leader, or a combination of both, I'm not sure.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
True, but there's always the question of firepower.

I just fear we're making some wildly optimistic assumptions that are going to confuse us when dispelled.
You're right that the Russians have a big advantage in firepower, although this will diminish with time because ever-more sophisticated weapons are being funnelled into Ukrainian hands. Also, it's not clear how rapidly the Russians are using up their stocks of missiles (etc) - e.g. some reports suggest that up to half of their entire stock of Cruise missiles have already been fired.

Overall, superior fire-power only takes you so far. It doesn't occupy and hold ground, nor protect re-supply roots. For these you need boots on the ground - and Russia is depleting their boots at an astonishing rate.

InfiniteBoredom

I wouldn't say a need for a large scale offensive, but I think the best way to put a quick end to the war would be the Ukrainian army drawing the bulk of the Russian force in a very vulnerable area where the latter can be picked off and pounded until being forced to surrender. One big battle to cripple and humiliate the invading army beyond repair. That is the key moment that decided the fate of the Indochina War with a massive French defeat in 1954.
Except the French defeat wasn’t that though, it was a well fortified position with minefields, mounted artillery, salients, the lot. Hard to see the Ukrainians achieving a similar outcome if Russians are dug in and well entrenched.