Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Nazi grafitti is hardly a good reason to call a country nazi though, if that were the case Russia could invade Wales with the same reason.
Tbf one Nazi grafitti is already more than what Russia had as an actual pretext for the invasion.

RoyH1

It's remarkable how people who claim to 'hate' the West and all what its stands for, see absolutely no problem in living like kings with the wealth stolen from their own countrymen. So many examples.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
It's remarkable how people who claim to 'hate' the West and all what its stands for, see absolutely no problem in living like kings with the wealth stolen from their own countrymen. So many examples.
Got to keep up the act or it'd all fall apart wouldn't it.

Heardy

These are the headlines that I just can’t get my head around the ramifications of.

You hear accounts from WW2 of Germans being oblivious / turning a blind eye to concentration camps etc., but how close are these actions to escalating to something similar?

For the record I’m not saying this is anything like what happened to Jews in Poland etc., but I worry at how things like mass deportations seem to be happening and by and large there’s little in the way of response/outcry.

Pintu

The levels of whatabout that will follow this...
Good news, but the US should be doing more. Especially regarding Central America's refugees.

Ukrainian refugees will be taken care of in Europe. Even our racist parties seem to be tolerant this time (so far at least).

The Firestarter

Good news, but the US should be doing more. Especially regarding Central America's refugees.

Ukrainian refugees will be taken care of in Europe. Even our racist parties seem to be tolerant this time (so far at least).
Because not much race difference I'd guess.

Maticmaker

Whilst what Germany has done with Nordstream and more could be construed as a massive strategic error, let's not lose sight of the fact that a friendly Russia would be more welcome than an unfriendly Russia, as we are now finding out.
Exactly, whether history judges it as a self interest (strategic error) affair, and in fact Germany taking risks under the umbrella of a NATO defence pact, that went wrong, either way the misjudgment element in this now has to make the rest of Europe wonder about Germany's competence in such matters. Don't forget Nordstream 2 was about to launch!

Nobody expected a war. That's why after 1990, Germany was spending less and less on their military.
That is the error. It is especially disastrous because its been obvious Putin had been rattling the cages of Russia's former allies/neighbours (Ukraine only the latest) for well over twenty years and at the same time, clearly cementing his position in Russia as 'President for life', where else was all this going to lead to?
The West will pay dearly for its lack of foresight, and Ukraine and other east European countries will be the 'whipping boys' for the Wests mistakes

So it is not new that Germany depends on Russian gas, and you shouldn't see the Nordstream project necessarily as increasing dependency, but as a way to ensure operational security of the pipelines
Yes of course, it was mutual 'self-interest' between Germany and Russia, but at what cost... that is the question only history will be able to answer.

Pintu

Yes of course, it was mutual 'self-interest' between Germany and Russia, but at what cost... that is the question only history will be able to answer.
To be fair to Germany, all EU leaders were happy for Nord Stream to work. It was a safe and cheap way to secure the supply. Fillon and Rutte didn't look concerned about it.

Maticmaker

To be fair to Germany, all EU leaders were happy for Nord Stream to work. It was a safe and cheap way to secure the supply. Fillon and Rutte didn't look concerned about it.

Of course... were any of them going to disagree with something Germany had set up/taken the lead on, were any of them going to say "hang on a minute can we trust Putin with his track record"? Or were most content to say "well if Putin causes trouble, we have economic sanctions, which the Americans will do the 'heavy-lighting' on... and of course NATO.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I can see Trump using this in the 2024 run-up.
I can see him wife shopping whichever orphan looks most like ivanka

But for sure part of Trumps pitch is going to be

Vlad wouldnt have dared to invade if my trigger was on the button (whilst also talking about what a stable genius he is)

Somehow linking it all to hunter bidens corruption and laptop

and of course saying anything and everything (including taking in refugees) was wrong.

Im not sure he will wait till 2024 though... I think he will be pretty vocal around the mid terms as well

If the republicans have a good mid term he will claim credit - if not he will say its because he wasn't officially involved

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff

Many arguing that the "leaked" casualties are likely bogus but definitely uncertain.

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

A comprehensive list of confirmed losses on each side.

Also a map made by Kofman which has aged well regarding the likely scope and positioning of Russia's invasion (February 24th).

Compare it to the current state of affairs modeled via Google Maps by Ukrainian/Russian scholars:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...&ll=49.068443179501074,32.816406818474945&z=7

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What does that mean, cap?
Its a Ukrainian heavy district in the suburbs of Cleveland. I was only half joking of course. The 100k will go wherever they want to, although a good number will obviously cluster into existing Ukrainian communities. A lot of Ukrainian descent people also live in Chicago.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I can see him wife shopping whichever orphan looks most like ivanka

But for sure part of Trumps pitch is going to be

Vlad wouldnt have dared to invade if my trigger was on the button (whilst also talking about what a stable genius he is)

Somehow linking it all to hunter bidens corruption and laptop

and of course saying anything and everything (including taking in refugees) was wrong.

Im not sure he will wait till 2024 though... I think he will be pretty vocal around the mid terms as well

If the republicans have a good mid term he will claim credit - if not he will say its because he wasn't officially involved
:lol: :lol:

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country

Central America? I didn’t know is a war down there, refugees should be from war areas and not from countries controlled by the most corrupt politicians on earth. Besides that how many more Central Americans crossed the border since Biden is the president? Is a limit how many people any country can accept without problems.

MadMike

Its a Ukrainian heavy district in the suburbs of Cleveland. I was only half joking of course. The 100k will go wherever they want to, although a good number will obviously cluster into existing Ukrainian communities. A lot of Ukrainian descent people also live in Chicago.
The name made me think it’d be full of Italians. Misleading!

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
"We don't want 100,000 losers" or something.

And people will vote for the cnut.
Aren't demographics working against him?

Also, I imagine this war is also a opportunity to divide the Republican party (and their voters) even further into two camps. I remember Trump's first campaign identified undecided voters, segmented them into those who could be converted and those who couldn't and aimed to turn the latters into non-voters by antagonizing Clinton. Maybe that is on the cards as well.