Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Water Melon

I know. I shouldnt have quoted you. It was more a response to you and paxi's exchange.
I was remiss not to offer sympathy to hear about the loss of your wifes cousins child.

I think your post to a link about Ukrainian toddlers being raped and dying as a result of those injuries was deleted because you titled it 'Orks'. I've looked back through the thread to comment on it and I couldn't find it anywhere.

I can't imagine anything more inhumane. The idea of raping children and babies is absolutely sick beyond belief, almost makes me want to both vomit and cry thinking about it. I really hope it is Ukranian propoganda and not true. If not the Russians must be ordering them to rape and kill citizens. It's beyond the pale.

All the best to you and your family and friends anyway pal.
It is inhumane. I will call these soldiers o-r-c-s and I will call Putin's policy Rushizm just like Zelenskyy does. Bucha turned in a Groznyy, people of Hostomel were not able to even approach their homes in ruins because in 2-3 km radius there was this smell of burnt and decaying bodies. Wearing masks did not help at all. The rushist troops that did all these atrocities in suburbs of Kyiv have been promoted to guard level. Make no mistake, Putin's wish is to erase Ukranians as a nation and turn Ukraine into a second rate Russian state. European leaders took it as just a small conflict initially, some sort of misunderstanding on Putin's behalf, because they never thought something like like this could ever happen in Europe again after WW II. Well, unfortunately it has happened, and if not for BoJo and Biden, we would see this fecking puppet Yanukovich being the president of Ukraine now. Huge support from the Baltic states, Poland, Czech Republic as well, as they know first hand how it feels to be under Russian oppression. France and Germany were the biggest hypocrites initally, thankfully, they are changing their tune and are starting to provide real economic and military support.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mihai

I don’t think he deserves a banning. Yes, he may have views which we are factually wrong and he seems to be brainwashed. But he’s entitled to his opinions and has done nothing else wrong.
There is opinion and there is this
Tell me where Putin has murdered people — (journalists don’t count)

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
There is opinion and there is this
Having someone on the other side in a discussion is always more lively even if they have views that are quite despicable. But I guess that can always be extrapolated to other stuff in general too so I don't know.

The Firestarter

Having someone on the other side in a discussion is always more lively even if they have views that are quite despicable. But I guess that can always be extrapolated to other stuff in general too so I don't know.
Wonder how do you think about people defending the holocaust? Do they deserve getting heard to make the discussion 'lively'?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Wonder how do you think about people defending the holocaust? Do they deserve getting heard to make the discussion 'lively'?
Well that's what I meant when I said someone could always extrapolate it to something else. Currently there is a war going on and It's interesting to have a Russian who's pro the war in this thread. No I'm not really interesting in hearing the views of people defending the holocaust.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Well that's what I meant when I said someone could always extrapolate it to something else. Currently there is a war going on and It's interesting to have a Russian who's pro the war in this thread. No I'm not really interesting in hearing the views of people defending the holocaust.
I don't think Paxi was necessarily pro-war. He just came across as a guy who wanted to defend Russia from what he considers fake news or hypocricy. If I'm correct he is from Russian descent himself.

The Firestarter

I don't think Paxi was necessarily pro-war. He just came across as a guy who wanted to defend Russia from what he considers fake news or hypocricy. If I'm correct he is from Russian descent himself.
He absolutely is pro war, he has stated multiple times that Ukraine cannot be left to make any choices on its own.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I get that from a "strategic empathy" point of view but in all honesty, he can feck off for belittling unspeakable war crimes committed by Russian soldiers. I'm against dehumanizing terms like "orcs" as well since war means old men talking and young men dying but when you're confronted with stories about 6 year olds being raped in front of their mothers and what bothers you the most is being compared to a fantasy creature, then something is clearly and fundamentally wrong with your moral compass. And we shouldn't reward that with any more attention than necessary.

RedDevilQuebecois

I get that from a "strategic empathy" point of view but in all honesty, he can feck off for belittling unspeakable war crimes committed by Russian soldiers. I'm against dehumanizing terms like "orcs" as well since war means old men talking and young men dying but when you're confronted with stories about 6 year olds being raped in front of their mothers and what bothers you the most is being compared to a fantasy creature, then something is clearly and fundamentally wrong with your moral compass. And we shouldn't reward that with any more attention than necessary.
Very much this. Since enough Russian soldiers ave chosen the path of barbary and gave up on anything humane, they deserve to live with the tag for the rest of their lives.

On a different front, what would people make of this? Why did Joe have to say this? The MLRS can hit Russian territory in theory and depending on where it is deployed, but that decision will belong to Kyiv regardless. If the Ukrainian army wants to fire back and get rid of Russian artillery from across the border, who would blame them?

edit:

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
One of the questions for me is if Putin believes he’s really gaining territory he can hold, and the evidence suggests he does, how on earth he thinks he can fund the reconstruction. The answer must be more complex than simply saying he doesn’t care, it cannot be in his interests to have a part of the Russian federation with no viable housing/infrastructure etc.

Simbo

Christ, thesun/mirror/star published some clickbait about Putin being dead and using a body double. Now all sorts are spreading it who don't realise
Very much this. Since enough Russian soldiers ave chosen the path of barbary and gave up on anything humane, they deserve to live with the tag for the rest of their lives.

On a different front, what would people make of this? Why did Joe have to say this? The MLRS can hit Russian territory in theory and depending on where it is deployed, but that decision will belong to Kyiv regardless. If the Ukrainian army wants to fire back and get rid of Russian artillery from across the border, who would blame them?

edit:
I took it to mean they'll not supply rockets that can hit deep Russia, i.e. the 300km+ ones. It doesn't make much sense otherwise since they border Russia.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
One of the questions for me is if Putin believes he’s really gaining territory he can hold, and the evidence suggests he does, how on earth he thinks he can fund the reconstruction. The answer must be more complex than simply saying he doesn’t care, it cannot be in his interests to have a part of the Russian federation with no viable housing/infrastructure etc.
He can't fund it, nor can he hold it. What we're seeing is the last gasp of might he can muster up. If that doesn't help him claim a few key Ukrainian towns in Donbas then there's really not much left for him go after, especially as it looks like the Ukrainians are counterattacking to reclaim areas outside of Kherson. I also don't think we have seen the full power of western weapons that have recently been provided to the Ukrainians.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
He can't fund it, nor can he hold it. What we're seeing is the last gasp of might he can muster up. If that doesn't help him claim a few key Ukrainian towns in Donbas then there's really not much left for him go after, especially as it looks like the Ukrainians are counterattacking to reclaim areas outside of Kherson. I also don't think we have seen the full power of western weapons that have recently been provided to the Ukrainians.
I hope this errs on the side of realism rather than optimism.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I hope this errs on the side of realism rather than optimism.
Its a bit of both. He is in an existential struggle to claim some form of victory in this war, or else there's a pretty good chance it will undermine and destablize him from within the Russian security apparatus. He will throw everything he has to try to claim he's taken all of Donbas and that the special military operations has therefore been a success. Trouble is, he doesn't have the resources, morale, or firepower to hold it because the Ukrainians won't stop fighting (especially with all the weapons they're getting from the west) just because Putin thinks he's made his point. This will go on until the Russians have been completely expelled from Ukraine.

RedDevilQuebecois

I took it to mean they'll not supply rockets that can hit deep Russia, i.e. the 300km+ ones. It doesn't make much sense otherwise since they border Russia.
The MLRS can fire missiles going as far as 500 km. It means they could reach anywhere inside occupied territories and even across the border if those machines are deployed inside the Kyiv region. I don't expect anyone to even think that Ukraine would strike Moscow, but they would definitely want to strike at Russian artillery pieces that are sitting just across the border and hindering Ukrainian counterattacks.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He did? I missed that then.
To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy, to forget whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again: and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself -- that was the ultimate subtlety: consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed. Even to understand the word 'doublethink' involved the use of doublethink.
I'm pretty sure he's against the war but also thinks Ukraine deserve what they're getting or some similar incomprehensible strand of auto-fellatial logic. A bit like how they're committing war crimes because it's war but they're not committing war crimes because there's no proof (...that he's willing to accept as proof).

Simbo

The MLRS can fire missiles going as far as 500 km. It means they could reach anywhere inside occupied territories and even across the border if those machines are deployed inside the Kyiv region. I don't expect anyone to even think that Ukraine would strike Moscow, but they would definitely want to strike at Russian artillery pieces that are sitting just across the border and hindering Ukrainian counterattacks.
Yeh, so they are not going to supply the advanced 500km missiles, but they may still ship the MLRS with lower range munitions. We'll have to wait and see.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I’m not brainwashed at all. You say it like Russia attacked some friendly nation.

Did Russia attack a friendly nation?
They attacked a soverign nation for no rational or justifiable reason, killing many thousands of people. The only reason for this war is Putin's megalomania.

He can't be trusted which is why Russia should remain an International pariah until he is gone and replaced with something more trustworthy.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
So next time, without offending me, where are similarities between Russia as of todays and Nazi Germany. I’m suspect I’m going to wait for a long time.
I'm thinking invading/occupying neighbouring countries on made up pretexts isn't a bad start when it comes to parallels.

ColoRed

deep in the west where the sun gets dusty
Supports
Cologne / Manchester
This is quite disturbing. They build their worldview as it suits them, no matter how absurd or ridiculous. If someone like this shithead follows Putin, what will be better? Something has to happen in Russia from the inside, but can it happen through the young Russians and economic pressure ? This is definitely a very long-term project.

Real Name

War in Donbas region seem to be shifting and not in the sense majority of use here are hoping for or so it seems. On the other hand Ukrainians are counter attacking in Kherson region which is good and can help the situation in the east for Ukrainians. Seems so it will be a long war unfortunately.

GazTheLegend

@harms how much truth is there that Russia have opened up recruitment to the over 40's and are driving to reinforce their lost troops in the Ukraine by relaxing a lot of their training etc?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
@harms how much truth is there that Russia have opened up recruitment to the over 40's and are driving to reinforce their lost troops in the Ukraine by relaxing a lot of their training etc?
It’s true — Putin signed the decree a few days ago. But it’s probably not as significant as you’d think — it allows for people older than 40 to sign their first professional military contract. So you’re talking about people that haven’t served for at least 20 years (the age of conscription is 18) — I’m sure that those who have seriously considered career in the military don’t qualify for this.

As for the relaxed training — it’s been the case since the very beginning, people sign a contract and get transferred to Ukraine in less than a week.

Pintu

Thread

In summary - Orban is being a nuisance

This was the bare minimum and it’s being branded by some as a win.

Actuallly it went like this.

The Parliament voted for an “immediate oil and gas embargo”.. the Commission said ok but in fact basically ignored the gas component (saying it takes time..) but at least they recommended a total oil ban. Now because of the Hungarian veto we only have a partial oil ban.