Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

the hea

Something big is on fire in Sevastopol.

The video was posted yesterday but it is still unclear what it is that was smoking.

This is another video posted yeasterday, of a Russian patrol ship deploying smoke countermeassures outside Sevastopol. Could of course be completely unrelated to the video above.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Amnesty International had a mare:

What's her actual criticism of the report contents though? Cause as far as I can tell, her comments don't mention what was wrong about the findings, just that she doesn't want to see them now. But she does hint at sources being bad, so I'm curious what the extent of that is, or if the Amnesty report does actually largerly stand but is just poorly timed (in her view).

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I do find myself wondering how the west balances their own needs against those of Ukraine. Right now it looks like Russia wouldn’t be able to fight a war for another 2 or 3 years. Another 12 months of attritional war against a better equipped side, (combined with biting sanctions), and suddenly that 2-3 years could turn into a decade. Whatever western governments say in public I can’t believe this isn’t a conversation that’s being had behind the scenes.

the hea

Bellingcat where able to find and contact the guy from the infamous castration video. He of course denied it was him and blamed the Ukrainians.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Bellingcat where able to find and contact the guy from the infamous castration video. He of course denied it was him and blamed the Ukrainians.
How are Bellingcat so good? Western intel helping them?

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I agree. I’m sure (well as sure as one can be given we don’t know the full details), that there is a symbiotic relationship between Western Intel and Bellingcat. I’d imagine at some level both have beneficial links with the other. Probably a lot of which is below the table and on an individual level, but a relationship none the less.

the hea

They usually explaines what methodes and techniques they use, like they did in this article. Tips from the public are of course an important part of what they do and I'm sure that it has happened that intelligence agencies have pointed them in the right direction.
One thing that is well known is that open source intelligence communities like Bellingcat allows western intelligence agencies to more openly speak about Russian intelligence operations, without revealing their own sources.

Simbo

There's some fairly incredible open source intelligence tools available to the public nowadays that most people would probably think are only available to government intelligence agencies. There's also a lot of intelligent people that put them to use, if only as a hobbyists.

Bellingcat is basically a collection of these people that focus on uncovering corruption around the world. Their focus of Russia is just because all roads tend to lead to Moscow.

Simbo

UA claimed they took out 4 S-300 systems in the area yesterday.

Rajma

Do corrupt cretins from Amnesty wanna report on Russia turning a nuclear power plant into a giant military base that they have also mined to the core in case they have to retreat? Russia bloody money are so infiltrated into these international organizations like red cross, human rights, etc., it’s insane.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Do corrupt cretins from Amnesty wanna report on Russia turning a nuclear power plant into a giant military base that they have also mined to the core in case they have to retreat? Russia bloody money are so infiltrated into these international organizations like red cross, human rights, etc., it’s insane.
Just to be clear: Russia has already been condemned a million times by many organizations and their crimes are being investigated, you know this, right?

the hea

I'm not gonna post them here but there are photos from occupied Popsana going around of beheaded Ukrainian POW's with their heads put up on spikes.
But shame on the Ukrainians for trying to defend their populated areas.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I'm not gonna post them here but there are photos from occupied Popsana going around of beheaded Ukrainian POW's with their heads put up on spikes.
Fecking awful if true.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Reminds me of Mexican cartels.

Denis79

I usually read amnesty's reports and this is the first report (that I've read) since the war started that criticises Ukraine.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
So if you don't say exactly what you want to hear you're a corrupt organization that's in the pocket of Russia? Got it.

We need an rvn

Fecking awful if true.
If true (not really if) once this is all done Russia should never be and be split into 100 territories signed never to form again into the country they are today

what is going on is just as it did at the start of wwii and the killing of Jews and 80 years later some still judge the German population but what happened won’t leave them for hundreds of years - which is wrong

Rajma

So if you don't say exactly what you want to hear you're a corrupt organization that's in the pocket of Russia? Got it.
Please read the above tweet that summarizes everything perfectly. I don’t have time to explain obvious things.