Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
By giving a helping hand to Russian propaganda during the actual war is quite clear contribution to the genocide? This attempt at false equivalence when it comes to the civilian victims is just morally wrong on every level all it does it helps Russia to create an illusion that both sides are to blame and many peoples will for it = less support in the west in terms or donations or military assistance. I mean Russian embassy in uk that publicly called for execution of Ukrainian POWs just a few days ago now shares the report proudly and that’s all you need to know about the state of it and who it was meant to serve.
I will just always disagree with that sense. You're calling for self-censoring, for the suppression of anything negative about Ukraine. And even more, you're suggesting that anyone who isn't doing that is intending to help Russia (as your last sentence says). I find that attitude (which is not just you, obviously; many people on here seem to think the same) deeply troubling. Orwellian.

the hea

There have been an increase in reports of Ukrainian attack aircrafts operating closer to the front lines in the Kherson area, the last couple of weeks, this is probably the explanation.

neverdie

The Russian military’s siege warfare tactics in Ukraine, marked by relentless indiscriminate attacks on densely-populated areas, are unlawfully killing civilians in several cities, Amnesty International said today in a new on-the-ground investigation.

For the first time, Amnesty International field investigators in Ukraine have independently verified physical evidence of banned cluster munitions, the use of which violates international law. They have also collected testimony that documents Russian siege tactics, including unlawful indiscriminate attacks, disruption of basic utilities, cuts to communication, destruction of civilian infrastructure, and restrictions on access to medicine and healthcare.
https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/n...ng-civilians-new-testimony-and-investigation/

amnesty is not russian propaganda just because it is non partisan in its reporting. if you take the trouble to read its reporting and that of other human rights groups you'll understand that unlike state actors the main human rights orgs aren't typically trying to spread propaganda. that ukraine used civilian areas to house troops made those areas targets. it wasn't the amnesty report that did that. and when or if russia targets more civilian areas unlawfully you can bet that amnesty and others will report it as they have throughout the entire war. @Cheimoon is basically right. there's a tendency on here to demonize everything that isn't exactly what you want to hear and call it putin propaganda. that kind of thinking comes from living in a self-reinforcing bubble where even the orgs most critical of russia are somehow in russia's pocket. it's complete nonsense.

when they call russia out for its crimes, it's fine. when they criticize the ukrainian regime for acting inappropriately, they're russian assets or useful idiots. that is herd like behavior. orwellian indeed. people have been absolutely blitzed into rejecting any shade of critical thought.

that report everyone is up in arms about btw absolutely condemns russia and does not say that russia has not targeted areas, civilian, which were not occupied by troops.

Indiscriminate attacks by Russian forces
Many of the Russian strikes that Amnesty International documented in recent months were carried out with inherently indiscriminate weapons, including internationally banned cluster munitions, or with other explosive weapons with wide area effects. Others used guided weapons with varying levels of accuracy; in some cases, the weapons were precise enough to target specific objects.

The Ukrainian military’s practice of locating military objectives within populated areas does not in any way justify indiscriminate Russian attacks. All parties to a conflict must at all times distinguish between military objectives and civilian objects and take all feasible precautions, including in choice of weapons, to minimize civilian harm. Indiscriminate attacks which kill or injure civilians or damage civilian objects are war crimes.

“The Ukrainian government should immediately ensure that it locates its forces away from populated areas, or should evacuate civilians from areas where the military is operating. Militaries should never use hospitals to engage in warfare, and should only use schools or civilian homes as a last resort when there are no viable alternatives,” said Agnès Callamard.

Amnesty International contacted the Ukrainian Ministry of Defence with the findings of the research on 29 July 2022. At the time of publication, they had not yet responded.
amnesty runs a charity for distributing relief aid to ukraine. it doesn't do that for russia. so some of you need to get to grips with reality.

Last edited:

the hea

I have to somewhat agree with @neverdie here, I don't think Amnesty is being paid by Russia nor are they willingly spreading Russian propaganda. The problem is that they seem to have no idea about how warfare equipment work and by condemning the Ukrainians for putting military equipment in the cities, they are basically creating an excuse for Russia to attack any civilian targets.

If Ukraine wants to protect a city under attack the only way to do so, is from within the city. You can't have anti air systems 20km outside the city and expect them to be able to intercept incoming fire, targeted at the city. The only way for AA systems like Nasams or BUK to have any chance of intercepting incoming missiles is to have them as close as possible to the targets they are designated to protect.

Same with the ground troops. Large parts of Ukraine is basically just a big grain field, just open fields as long as you can see. If Ukraine would place their tanks and infatry in these fields, outside the cities, they would just be sitting ducks for the Russian artillery, without any cover what so ever.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I have to somewhat agree with @neverdie here, I don't think Amnesty is being paid by Russia nor are they willingly spreading Russian propaganda. The problem is that they seem to have no idea about how warfare equipment work and by condemning the Ukrainians for putting military equipment in the cities, they are basically creating an excuse for Russia to attack any civilian targets.

If Ukraine wants to protect a city under attack the only way to do so, is from within the city. You can't have anti air systems 20km outside the city and expect them to be able to intercept incoming fire, targeted at the city. The only way for AA systems like Nasams or BUK to have any chance of intercepting incoming missiles is to have them as close as possible to the targets they are designated to protect.

Same with the ground troops. Large parts of Ukraine is basically just a big grain field, just open fields as long as you can see. If Ukraine would place their tanks and infatry in these fields, outside the cities, they would just be sitting ducks for the Russian artillery, without any cover what so ever.
Yeah, I agree with that. It does seem Amnesty overlooked some of the unavoidable practicalities of fighting a defensive war over your own territory. I suppose there's shades in that (choices that can be made); but the general principle could have been acknowledged.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Yeah, I agree with that. It does seem Amnesty overlooked some of the unavoidable practicalities of fighting a defensive war over your own territory. I suppose there's shades in that (choices that can be made); but the general principle could have been acknowledged.
It seems a bit more insidious than that. It seems to be the latest in a long line of Westerners trying to criticise their own Western nations or its allies by supporting the talking points of the enemy or at the very least creating a false equivalence.

We even had them trying to downplay the Holocaust just after WWII, as many sincerely believed and argued it was being over exaggerated to create a distraction from the (supposed) crimes of the Allied nations.

There’s now the CBS documentary too they are involved in, where they make completely unsubstantiated claims about the final destination of Ukraine’s military aid. The mask is slipping.

neverdie

i can understand that criticism. i've had that criticism myself of these organisations in the past related to different actors, see the arab conflicts in particular and use of civilian places. in a place like gaza, what else are you supposed to do? but i've just about come round to the idea that they understand how it works and why actors do as they do but they refuse to take sides and generally tend to condemn it all outright which i don't have a problem with. if they didn't do that they'd have less credibility in my eyes even if they publish things that seem to me politically incorrect every now and then.

frostbite

I will just always disagree with that sense. You're calling for self-censoring, for the suppression of anything negative about Ukraine. And even more, you're suggesting that anyone who isn't doing that is intending to help Russia (as your last sentence says). I find that attitude (which is not just you, obviously; many people on here seem to think the same) deeply troubling. Orwellian.
In wars like this one, when one side attacks the other side for no reason at all and wants to exterminate them, we take sides. All the problems, all the killing, all the injustice, happens because Russia invaded Ukraine. Russia's goal is to eliminate Ukraine altogether, it is life or death for Ukraine. Russia should lose this war, and they should pay for what they did. That's it. What Ukraine did or did not do, is of no concern at this moment. In the future, after the war is over, we can discuss their mistakes. Right now we take their side, because they are a victim with a knife on their throats.

Similarly, in 1940, when Hitler invaded Holland, it would be the wrong time to talk about problems with its democracy, or how badly they behaved with their colonies. Hitler was an existential threat, and he was not going to improve democracy or life in the colonies. If someone wrote in May 1940 "Yes Hitler attacked Holland but the Dutch are no saints, either" he would be saying the truth, and still be completely wrong.

the hea

It seems a bit more insidious than that. It seems to be the latest in a long line of Westerners trying to criticise their own Western nations or its allies by supporting the talking points of the enemy or at the very least creating a false equivalence.

We even had them trying to downplay the Holocaust just after WWII, as many sincerely believed and argued it was being over exaggerated to create a distraction from the (supposed) crimes of the Allied nations.

There’s now the CBS documentary too they are involved in, where they make completely unsubstantiated claims about the final destination of Ukraine’s military aid. The mask is slipping.
The source CBS used for the claims that only 30% of the weapons ending up on the front lines is Donatella Rovera from Amnesty. She is also the one responsible for the claims about Ukrainian war crimes.

This is what she said in the CBS program.

Despite saying she had no information where the weapons where going, (which would be classified information anyway) she still made claimes that only 30% end up on the front lines.

The claim in it self is just ridiculous, with all the western weapons Ukraine is recieving it is still close to a miracle that they have been able to completly halt the whole Russian army. Saying that they would be able to do so with only 30% is just ridiculous. Second there is so far no evidence of western weapons ending up on the black market, if 70% of the weapons where going missing, the weapons would be showing up in the hands of criminals, so far there have been no signs of that.

She is definitelly a rotten apple within the organisation for whatever reason and not the only one either. I know of at least one Amnesty Finland board member that has been spreading Kremlin propaganda on twitter.

Saying all this, Amnesty is a massive organisation and there are bound to be some bad apples in any organisation that big so I don't think the whole organization should be blamed.

massi83

This guy is hardly rimaldo or eboue, somebody could teach him how to write.

the hea

i can understand that criticism. i've had that criticism myself of these organisations in the past related to different actors, see the arab conflicts in particular and use of civilian places. in a place like gaza, what else are you supposed to do? but i've just about come round to the idea that they understand how it works and why actors do as they do but they refuse to take sides and generally tend to condemn it all outright which i don't have a problem with. if they didn't do that they'd have less credibility in my eyes even if they publish things that seem to me politically incorrect every now and then.
Comparing it to the Israel-Palestinia conflict is quite interesting. I know a lot of Amnesty workers are openly very anti Israel in their views. Have Amnesty ever made any report, claiming Palestinian war crimes due to weapons being located close to populated areas?

neverdie

Comparing it to the Israel-Palestinia conflict is quite interesting. I know a lot of Amnesty workers are openly very anti Israel in their views. Have Amnesty ever made any report, claiming Palestinian war crimes due to weapons being located close to populated areas?
on populated areas, certain i've seen them criticize them for it before. on everything else, they've criticized the palestinian resistance in terms as harsh or harsher than the ukrainian resistance despite the asymmetry between each side.

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/press-releases/palestinian-authority-hamas-must-stop-targeting-civilians

https://www.channel4.com/news/hamas-tortured-and-killed-palestinian-civilians-amnesty

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-32053999

there was one where they criticize them for human shield tactics. wasn't one i thought, but yes they have done it. it's below.

In previous conflicts Amnesty International has documented that Palestinian armed groups have stored munitions in and fired indiscriminate rockets from residential areas in the Gaza Strip in violation of international humanitarian law. Reports have also emerged during the current conflict of Hamas urging residents to ignore Israeli warnings to evacuate.
Furthermore, Amnesty International (while vehemently urging Israel to cease military activities) has stated Hamas is violating international law by storing rockets in civilian areas and urging people not to leave their homes after being warned by Israel of impending attacks:

As explained above, in previous conflicts Amnesty International has documented that Palestinian armed groups have stored munitions in and fired indiscriminate rockets from residential areas in the Gaza Strip, and available evidence indicates that they continue to do both during the current hostilities, in violation of international humanitarian law. During the current hostilities, Hamas spokespeople have reportedly urged residents in some areas of the Gaza Strip not to leave their homes after the Israeli military dropped leaflets and made phone calls warning people in the area to evacuate.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/its-immoral-for-hamas-to_b_5629548

so yeah, their criticism of ukraine is absolutely consistent despite the asymmetry between russia and ukraine on the one hand and the palestinians and the israelis on the other.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

What mask? And what is it revealing?

neverdie

She is definitelly a rotten apple within the organisation for whatever reason and not the only one either. I know of at least one Amnesty Finland board member that has been spreading Kremlin propaganda on twitter.
no idea who she is beyond her amnesty connection but she didn't pluck the numbers out of thin air. seems to be sourced from the following.

"All of this stuff goes across the border, and then something happens, kind of like 30% of it reaches its final destination," said Jonas Ohman, founder and CEO of Blue-Yellow, a Lithuania-based organization that has been meeting with and supplying frontline units with military aid in Ukraine since the start of the conflict with Russia-backed separatists in 2014.

"30-40%, that's my estimation,
" he said in April of this year.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ukraine-military-aid-weapons-front-lines/
so not sure how accurate that is but it's coming from a very pro-ukrainian source. then you have lots of other material that comes direct from nato countries about the same topic. i'd guess no one knows exactly how many weapons go missing but that it's not a small amount even if it isn't 60% which seems incredibly massive. some will end up on the black market. just some snippets below.

Nato and EU states are pushing for better tracking of weapons supplied to Ukraine in response to fears that criminal groups are smuggling them out of the country and on to Europe’s black market.

Since Russia launched its war against Ukraine, western states have pledged more than $10bn in military support, from portable rocket launchers and armoured vehicles to rifles and vast amounts of ammunition.

A number of Nato member states are discussing with Kyiv some form of tracking system or detailed inventory lists for weapons supplied to Ukraine, two western officials briefed on the talks told the Financial Times.

Ukraine’s government is setting up a more extensive weapons monitoring and tracing system with the help of western countries, a third person familiar with the situation said.

“All these weapons land in southern Poland, get shipped to the border and then are just divided up into vehicles to cross: trucks, vans, sometimes private cars,” said one of the western officials. “And from that moment we go blank on their location and we have no idea where they go, where they are used or even if they stay in the country.”

The potential for US weapons sent to Ukraine to fall into the wrong hands is “among a host of considerations” given the “challenging situation” on the ground in the country, said Bonnie Denise Jenkins, US under secretary for arms control and international security, on Tuesday.

“The US very seriously takes our responsibility to protect American origin defence technologies and prevent their diversion or illicit proliferation,” Jenkins told reporters in Brussels, adding that the US was in “continued contact” with Kyiv on the issue.

https://www.ft.com/content/bce78c78-b899-4dd2-b3a0-69d789b8aee8
The US has few ways to track the substantial supply of anti-tank, anti-aircraft and other weaponry it has sent across the border into Ukraine, sources tell CNN, a blind spot that's due in large part to the lack of US boots on the ground in the country -- and the easy portability of many of the smaller systems now pouring across the border. It's a conscious risk the Biden administration is willing to take.

In the short term, the US sees the transfer of hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of equipment to be vital to the Ukrainians' ability to hold off Moscow's invasion. A senior defense official said Tuesday that it is "certainly the largest recent supply to a partner country in a conflict." But the risk, both current US officials and defense analysts say, is that in the long term, some of those weapons may wind up in the hands of other militaries and militias that the US did not intend to arm.

"We have fidelity for a short time, but when it enters the fog of war, we have almost zero," said one source briefed on US intelligence. "It drops into a big black hole, and you have almost no sense of it at all after a short period of time."

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/04/19/politics/us-weapons-ukraine-intelligence/index.html
the us and other states and orgs will be conscious of this because of the afghan, syrian, and iraqi experiences where a lot of weapons went missing. and even in conflicts which predate those. it's a fact of war. i just don't know if it's enough evidence to start a witch hunt. it may be that she's anti-ukrainian but her sources aren't.

also
Amnesty International says it has documented war crimes in Ukraine, including the “wilful killings of civilians” by Russian forces when they occupied an area northeast of Kyiv, Ukraine’s capital, in February and March. Civilians have also suffered abuse such as “reckless shootings and torture” at the hands of Russian forces in the early stages of Russia’s invasion, the rights group said in a report published on Friday. “These are not isolated incidents. These are very much part of a pattern wherever Russian forces were in control of a town or a village,” Donatella Rovera, Amnesty’s senior crisis response adviser, told a news conference in Kyiv.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022...nce-shows-russian-troops-committed-war-crimes
which is part of the overall point i was making. she's seen as bad because she says something that isn't on message or is perceived as being hostile but was she bad when she said this back in may? of course not. she also has a history throughout her career of tracking illegal weapons, which a cursory glance of her working biography and articles tell me.

and it's not aimed at anyone specifically but at everyone generally. people are quick to jump to conclusions with very little evidence, like the comment above which has basically condemned a lifelong human rights activist for no reason because her career and comments have been unintentionally misrepresented.

Last edited:

The Firestarter

I really find hard to believe that even 20% of hardware needed to fight the bloody invasion of your entire country would be sold on the "black market". Only way this to happen is if the ones distributing the supplies are actual traitors , but at this point I presume most of them would have been cleared from the critical chain of arms distribution.

nimic

something nice
Scout
People who think Amnesty of all organizations are in the service of the Russian government have gone off the deep end. They might make mistakes, but it's not entirely clear how big this one is. Is it really so hard to believe that Ukraine is making bad judgments of their own in their attempt to defend themselves against Russian conquest?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
People who think Amnesty of all organizations are in the service of the Russian government have gone off the deep end. They might make mistakes, but it's not entirely clear how big this one is. Is it really so hard to believe that Ukraine is making bad judgments of their own in their attempt to defend themselves against Russian conquest?
I don't get the discussion either. Of course Ukraine will not play everything by the book, this is a war and not a game. And of course it has to be allowed to cover such incidents. Does it help the Russian propaganda? Sure. But covering this is the difference between news and propaganda and we should all hope that we get news instead of propaganda.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Dang, the toe the line authoritarianism from some in here is scary as hell. You lot would happily march us into all kinds of barbaric oppression. You are the Nazis here.

Rajma

It’s just morally so wrong on every level to be discussing this right now and it shouldn’t need any explanation. I advise you to go to the frontlines and then let us know if you still feel the same about that Amnesty report timing and necessity when it creates even more harm for the victim? It’s very easy to take a high horse from a warm couch in western country.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Yeah and you can go to Russia and tell those being locked up for protesting that now is not the time for dissent and they need to rally round their country and leaders, get on board the team and come on in for the big win.

Alternatively you can defend free expression and support the ability to criticise.

neverdie

it isn't morally wrong at all. it's "politically wrong" or "politically inconvenient". amnesty and the likes aren't bound by the same interests as the actors involved in war. they produce investigative material that one side will champion one day and then condemn the next. that's because they aren't trying to promote a state bound ideology which runs by propaganda offices before being published.

what's morally wrong is to post hearsay and improperly researched tweets and articles that demonize a person or collection of people whose interest, historically, lies only in human rights and exposing the horrors of war, and to do it because it doesn't suit the narrative of the day, like the exchange between two understandably biased writers on the last page in tweet form. that is misinformation or disinformation btw.

so the russians expelled amnesty months ago. that's because they accused russia of war crimes. the israelis used to champion amnesty. that changed when they concluded apartheid. the point is simple. states use these findings to suit their agendas and then smear the feck out of the same people and organizations when the investigations reveal truths that aren't welcome. that's morally wrong.

Rajma

Yeah and you can go to Russia and tell those being locked up for protesting that now is not the time for dissent and they need to rally round their country and leaders, get on board the team and come on in for the big win.

Alternatively you can defend free expression and support the ability to criticise.
What an awful comparison, do you even understand the difference betwen victim and aggressor?

nimic

something nice
Scout
It’s just morally so wrong on every level to be discussing this right now and it shouldn’t need any explanation. I advise you to go to the frontlines and then let us know if you still feel the same about that Amnesty report timing and necessity when it creates even more harm for the victim? It’s very easy to take a high horse from a warm couch in western country.
Ridiculous.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Amnesty regrets ‘distress’ caused by claims in Ukraine report

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ternational-ukraine-military-report-civilians

Amnesty International has said it “deeply regrets the distress and anger” caused after it alleged that Ukrainian forces were flouting international law by exposing civilians to Russian fire.

“We fully stand by our findings,” the rights group said on Sunday, but it stressed that “nothing we documented Ukrainian forces doing in any way justifies Russian violations”.

Amnesty sparked outrage in Ukraine with the publication of a report on Thursday that accused the military of endangering civilians by establishing bases in schools and hospitals, and launching counterattacks from heavily populated areas.

The head of Amnesty’s Ukraine office resigned in protest, accusing the rights organisation of parroting Kremlin propaganda.

---

For me, when I read the report, my first thought was that the Russian Government would use it to continue their attacks of civilian targets, using the excuse of targeting Ukrainian military assets.

Which they have done.

But they were already doing this, and I do think that Amnesty will have considered this possibility in releasing the findings, as I think the above news report shows.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That doesn't answer my questions. 'The mask is slipping' suggest that someone was pretending to be someone else, but the pretense is coming out. So my question was: what mask do you think Amnesty was wearing? I.e., what do you think they pretended to be? And what are we now learning about them instead? I.e., who are they really?
That's such a cop-out. So if you're not fighting there, you're not allowed to say anything negative?

Let's go with a hypothetical. What if Ukraine would start executing captured Russian soldiers? ('We have to be very mobile and they're holding us up.') Could we criticize that? If not, then whereabouts would you draw the line? Or can Ukraine basically do anything while trying to fight off Russia?

And no, I'm not defending or trivializing anything Russia does. (I figured I'd say that before I'm accused of that.)

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Russians mine Zaporizhzhia NPP power units, Ukrainian intelligence confirms

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-at...er-units-ukrainian-intelligence-confirms.html

Ukrainian intelligence confirms that the Russian army mined the power units of the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant.

"The IAEA, the UN, and all other bodies do not control the situation at the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant. Moreover, international investigations were conducted and made public, clearly showing how the Russians transport weapons, equipment and explosives into the territory of power units. There is confirmed information stating that the Russian occupying forces laid mines at the power units of the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant in Enerhodar," Andriy Yusov, a representative of the press service of the Chief Directorate of Intelligence of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine, confirmed the information about the laying of mines, the press service of the Energoatom company informs.