Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Enigma_87

You know who
Give me some examples then!?
China is leveraging these advantages and striving to become a global technological leader using state-led policies such as Made in China 2025 or the New Generation of Artificial Intelligence Development Plan. One of Beijing’s objectives is to raise the domestic content of core components and materials in high-tech manufacturing to 70 percent by 2025. To help achieve this, China is eclipsing the United States as the world’s largest overall (public and private) R&D investor. The Chinese government already outspent the U.S. government on intramural funding in 2017 ($67.4 billion to $47.1 billion), and Beijing likely exceeded U.S. gross domestic spending on R&D in 2018 (after sitting at roughly one-third below U.S. spending levels a decade ago). By comparison, Japan’s total R&D investment is about where China’s spending was in 2008 (roughly $150 billion), and its intramural government spending only amounts to $12.1 billion.

In addition, China is the world leader in patent applications with 40 percent of the global total, a share more than two times larger than that of the United States and four times larger than that of Japan. China is also poised to overtake the United States in the most-cited 1 percent of published AI papers by 2025, if current trends continue. Though there are some questions about the efficiency and effectiveness of Beijing’s push to become a leader in tech, it is undeniable that Washington and Tokyo face mounting competition in innovation.
When it comes to robotics, biotech and even payment systems it's safe to say they are one of the global leaders or at least can challenge the most advanced countries out there.

Abizzz

When it comes to robotics, biotech and even payment systems it's safe to say they are one of the global leaders or at least can challenge the most advanced countries out there.
So no concrete example then? Technology is all around us everyday, but what chinese invention is? They can spend a lot of money on building robots etc. but what new sensor have they invented? New motor? The only thing I can think of where they played a major role are solid state batteries. But that was an international collaboration that they were a part of.

Even if one decides to believe their government on the numbers I don't see the results just yet. Electronic payment is little more than accounting.

Real Name

So no concrete example then? Technology is all around us everyday, but what chinese invention is? They can spend a lot of money on building robots etc. but what new sensor have they invented? New motor? The only thing I can think of where they played a major role are solid state batteries. But that was an international collaboration they were a part of.

Even if one decides to believe their government on the numbers I don't see the results just yet. Electronic payment is little more than accounting.
Do you know what a patent is?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I don’t know anything about the quality of Chinese phones, but here are some detailed maps of the action in Kherson:

Enigma_87

You know who
So no concrete example then? Technology is all around us everyday, but what chinese invention is? They can spend a lot of money on building robots etc. but what new sensor have they invented? New motor? The only thing I can think of where they played a major role are solid state batteries. But that was an international collaboration that they were a part of.

Consumer electronics is only one part of the technology that is around us. There is automation and machines that you never heard of but are used in creating all those appliances and industry and automation usually from my experience always has a Chinese machine that isn't a "copy" of Italian, German or USA one. And they are quite good at it and used all around the world.

If you are expecting to hear something like iPhone then it's a moot point because we're living in a western world where consumer appliances are usually those coming from local markets and naturally most of the familiar brands would be the ones from Western countries.

If you want a good example of fintech, biotech and innovation in the medical sphere Tencent is one of the biggest and fast growing companies in all of those spheres with assets (subsidiaries combined) at around half a trillion. They are one of the leading R&D companies in fintech(payment systems) and medical care in terms of innovation.

The United

I don’t know anything about the quality of Chinese phones, but here are some detailed maps of the action in Kherson:

I read a Washington Post article the other day about the action in Kherson. It seems the Russians still had a sizeable force, with tons of artillery fire outnumbering the Ukrainians'. The progress has been very slow, and the Ukraine forces are taking massive hits. It is not exactly unexpected, and it is still too early to say the Russian forces are collapsing in general.

icehole

I can't recall a single product I have bought that was made in India.
I have an Ingersoll Rand air compressor made in India. Some German brand(s) of hand tools, can't remember the name(s), are also made there. Beyond that I draw a blank.

frostbite

Does this mean anything? What do you think?

https://www.reuters.com/world/indian-pm-modi-tells-russias-putin-now-is-not-an-era-war-2022-09-16/

Indian PM Modi tells Russia's Putin now 'is not an era of war'

"I know that today's era is not an era of war, and I have spoken to you on the phone about this," Modi told Putin on the sidelines of a regional security bloc summit in Uzbekistan, adding that democracy, diplomacy and dialogue keep the world together.

Putin said that he understood Modi's concerns about the Ukraine war. "I know about your position on the conflict in Ukraine, and I know about your concerns. We want all of this to end as soon as possible."

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

https://www.reuters.com/world/indian-pm-modi-tells-russias-putin-now-is-not-an-era-war-2022-09-16/

"I know that today's era is not an era of war, and I have spoken to you on the phone about this," Modi told Putin on the sidelines of a regional security bloc summit in Uzbekistan, adding that democracy, diplomacy and dialogue keep the world together.

Putin said that he understood Modi's concerns about the Ukraine war. "I know about your position on the conflict in Ukraine, and I know about your concerns. We want all of this to end as soon as possible."
It all depends on whether Putin can find a respectable way to declare success in his special military operation. At the moment it looks unlikely.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

I think it simply means that India won't support Russia's military in the current war, similarly as China don't deliver any weapons etc.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Melenyk took a Trumpish approach to public relations in Germany. He attempted to guilt/shame/insult the german population into doing whatever he thought was best, instead of laying out the reasons why it would make sense to do x,y or z.

However that was only a small factor. A much bigger factor is that 1/4 of the country essentially grew up under Russian rule (at least the people of an age to be politicians now), and for the other 3/4 that talking to Russia had worked for the longest time, including in reuniting germany without war or mayhem, which was especially noteworthy considering the absolute abyss that had brought about the seperation in the first place. People seriously understimate the effect all that still has on current german politics and population. Modern Germany isn't and never has been in a leading role in the "west" like the UK or the US have been. No matter how much Merkel fans like to potray it as such. It's not a kind of seperate entity like France either, it's been having to navigate the crossroads between east and west for the past 80 years to carve out it's spot in the world.
Add to that some thoroughly uninspiring leaders and a population tired of being told they have to pay for everyone and their momma in Europe and you begin to see some of the reasons behind this recent cowardice.
I can completely understand the thinking, especially with Germany being so nervous about the dangers of armies that they don't even have one. The US has basically said, "use tactical (or big) nukes and we'll bomb your forces and risk starting WWIII," which isn't something I can imagine Germany saying now or then.

I can only imagine the effects of Soviet occupation on Eastern Germany, but a lot of extra reluctance seems in order.

It doesn't seem that NATO countries took the possibility of further Russian expansion seriously. Looking back, the lack of a response to the 2014 invasion is bewildering. No wonder Russia thought they could take the whole country with minimal fuss.

frostbite

I think it simply means that India won't support Russia's military in the current war, similarly as China don't deliver any weapons etc.
Yeah, but I was surprised by Putin's "We want all of this to end as soon as possible."

But perhaps it means nothing.

ShoePolish

Might be one for geopolitics thread, but nonetheless, a byproduct of this failed invasion.

Carolina Red

Staff
A Ukrainian wrestler at the World Championships in Belgrade just took Bronze. Scored the match winning point with 12 seconds left on the clock. Slava Ukraini

stoinz

Thats like last decade. Biden's policy of trying to impose sanctions and isolate them will only force them to build stuff for themselves and in a big way.

China Will Soon Lead the U.S. in Tech
Beijing pulls ahead in 5G and artificial intelligence while catching up in semiconductors.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/global-china-technology/
It's inevitable that they will overtake. What will be interesting is when they are ahead. Will they be able to maintain the lead when it is their turn to innovate and be creative. The lack of free market competition will probably hamper them, If the crazies doesn't take over US, I'm pretty sure US will regain the lead pretty quickly.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Hopefully the wolves at home can smell the weakness oozing off him at this summit and feel emboldened to try a coup.

frostbite

Among other things, I find it interesting that the last guy refers to WW2 as 1941-1945. Do Russians know that WW2 started in 1939? Do they have any idea what their country was doing during 1939-1941?

Carolina Red

Staff

Among other things, I find it interesting that the last guy refers to WW2 as 1941-1945. Do Russians know that WW2 started in 1939? Do they have any idea what their country was doing during 1939-1941?
I’d imagine he’s just counting it from when their participation began. Folks in the US have done the same since we were also drawn into the fight in 1941.

A non-Eurocentric view would have the war starting in 1937, anyway.

Real Name

P20 is the best phone I ever had. Changed to xiaomi due to the ban, and the latter is very bad in comparison.
I have P30 and its serving me great, camera is astounding, had P10 before and was really satisfied with it too.

frostbite

I’d imagine he’s just counting it from when their participation began. Folks in the US have done the same since we were also drawn into the fight in 1941.

A non-Eurocentric view would have the war starting in 1937, anyway.
I am referring to the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, the invasion of Poland, Finland, Baltic states, and the Katyn massacre. I don't know if the Russians are taught at school anything about their "special operations" during 1939-1941.

Today is Sept 17th. Do the Russians know what happened on Sept 17, 1939?

Last edited:

NotThatSoph

This is completely normal. In Norway it's not unusual to say 1940-45, it doesn't mean we don't know that things happened before the invasion.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Iranian drones seem to be of good use for Russia.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Shit's going down and cars are casually stopping on blinkers as if some other car broke down in front. If it was me I'd be doing what the cab driver did in Better call Saul.
It's deep inside the city so I have no idea what's going on. I wouldn't be driving around there.