Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I enjoyed @GlastonSpur's tweet posts in the early days of this thread too. He (and a few good others) kept me updated more than any other news source until I eventually joined Twitter myself.
I forgot he was thread banned, here's some Vlad Vexler in his honor, I was wondering why we hadn't seen him in months.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
There is surely a difference in suffering between the country where some men are being conscripted, and, on the other hand, the country that has been fighting for survival for 6 months amidst claims that it is an artificial country with no right to exist. What’s your level of involvement with this topic? Admittedly you do post some historically-linked stuff on here to impress people (Thucycides quotes etc ) but I’m not sure about your knowledge of Russia and its former empire. Happy to be enlightened.
I'm glad I impress you but the only time I can remember mentioning Thucydides is when making a playful reach while reviewing Raya and The Last Dragon. It was sort of a joke but I'm glad it made an impression on you.

On your point about comparative suffering: I'm not sure how it relates to anything I've posted, sorry.

On your point about my involvement and knowledge on Russia: As a largely ignorant outsider and having ignored the thread for a while I came back in because I was genuinely interested in the first hand perspectives of the Russian posters on here after the partial-mobilisation news and how this turn of events might affect them and their families directly. Perhaps in the vain hope that it might quicken an end to the carnage in Ukraine. But to try and find these posts I had to wade through the spamming of idiotic war-bro fantasies and caricatures of all Russians, or most Russians, or all Russians except redcafe posters (grovel, grovel) as weak and nazis and *****.

Ok fine, if the thread is happy with the Glaston model of war reportage as twitter length missile strikes set to a soundtrack of death metal (literally this is the stuff he was spamming), and if war-lolz is where it's at then I'll put it back on ignore and leave you to have your fun in peace. Sorry to blow your buzz, see ya.

P.S. The How To Train Your Dragon series was superior to Disney's latest dragon adventures.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Danish Radio did some phone research, impersonating a 25 year old Russian man, on how easy it is to join the Wagner group. Three questions:

How old are you?
Have you had hepatitis b or c?
No
Any prior criminal convictions?
No

That was all the screening required.
No military experience required. Assured that with two weeks training you'll be set for fieldwork. Pay is 4000 euros a month. Double in compensation if you die.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Danish Radio did some phone research, impersonating a 25 year old Russian man, on how easy it is to join the Wagner group. Three questions:

How old are you?
No
No

No military experience required. Assured that with two weeks training you'll be set for fieldwork. Pay is 4000 euros a month. Double in compensation if you die.
You can bypass training if you have 100 hours logged on Call of Duty.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

How old are you?
No
No

Hard to believe this is happening in 2022.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
"The death of stalin" blended absurd satire with fact in a well done way. But the way it is all playing out, no amount of absurd satire need be added. Russia is its own grimly absurd theatre.

edit: did a google search. "The Death of Stalin" is of course banned in Russia. Because of course it is.

Last edited:

Rajma

Predicted the war between Ukraine-Russia in 1995, and it’s still as relevant as it was back then when it comes to russia:

Last edited:

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Someone once told me that visiting the town I live in is like traveling back in time, it's not changed much in 30 years, at least on the surface.

Russia seems the same way, it's not had the experiences most of the world has had with democracy and civil rights, and much else.

One commentator said it came from Mongolian culture when they conquered Russia, in that system the will of the leader is all powerful, tribute to the leader was a way to power and the leader didn't much care about the rights of people, you could manipulate them as an underling if it was part of getting the leader what he wants.

I've also read Russians see themselves as subjects of an empire instead of citizens of a country. They've not developed a sense of having a government who serves them, where power is derived from the governed.

NotThatSoph

Why was he banned banned?
Don't know, not a mod. I can think of a few reasons, but I'm not going to speculate. Firestarter thinks I'm wrong, though, which wouldn't be the first time.

I'm kinda gonna miss him, he's been here a long time.

If I found myself agreeing with him I always took a strong look in the mirror.
Huge loss for the football forum, huge win for CE and the general.

Doesn't seem like that's the case
Are you sure? He stopped posting mid frenzy, and I'm pretty certain his profile turned inaccessible at the same time, which means either a ban or a coincidental switch of privacy settings timing wise.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Predicted the war between Ukraine-Russia in 1995, and it’s still as relevant as it was back then when it comes to russia:
chillingly accurate. And then they killed him.

Crazy to think how effectively Russia has subdued Chechnyan independence through sheer unbridled brutality and oppression.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

:lol:
What a weird guy. He was born and raised in Ukraine as well (if he’s to be believed at all). Although scratch that, not weird, just stupid (and hypocritical).

Edit: yeah, it looks like a parody account

Jotun

:lol:
But those arrows they were so thick...
Life comes at ya fast
Parody account
What a weird guy. He was born and raised in Ukraine as well (if he’s to be believed at all). Although scratch that, not weird, just stupid (and hypocritical).

Edit: yeah, it looks like a parody account
Obviously, if you delve just a little deeper, it's a parody account. But, this thread shows just how fast people are to jump on comments that suit their narrative, without checking for context. It's not the first time, we've seen in this thread tweets posted that were obviously not true, unverified or just straight up parodies (that people took seriously). Although, most at fault from my recollection was Glaston, who's been banned apparently.

I love reading this thread and use it as my main source of news regarding the war. It really is that great. But would love if people would check tweets that at least sound too good to be true.

Rajma

Crazy to think how effectively Russia has subdued Chechnyan independence through sheer unbridled brutality and oppression.
I highly recommend watching this to anyone that wants to truly get why russia will keep coming back unless stopped with all the means available and the containment strategy should be developed in the west (i.e. no sanctions lifted etc. until full denuclearization and decommunization).

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Really is isn't it? Wow.

WPMUFC

This combined with 300k untrained reservists will result in nothing else than a huge bloodbath.
I am currently reading "Wages of Destruction" By Adam Tooze, this is right out of the hitler/dictator playbook. Almost word for word, action for action. They just can't help themselves because they essentially believe they are a deity.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I thought this was interesting:

I believe the best evidence that there's much truth in this is the whole "it's a special operation, not a war" narrative pushed by the Kremlin as well as the fact that it took Putin so long to announce the mobilisation. From a psychological perspective, I think the situation of the Russian population is a bit similar to abducted people suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Being honest to yourself (as in accepting that Putin is an autocrat who attacked a sovereign country without provocation and suppresses his own people) would mean that you have to go to the streets and fight for justice and freedom, which is very dangerous. So people instead buy into the lies because it is more comfortable to them. Thing is, this changes when your own well being or that of your family members is at stake. Then suddenly, you can't stay out of the fight anymore. Instead you're forced to decide between fighting in a war or fighting your own government.

This is a landmark decision by Putin and the fact that it took him so long to make it shows a) that he knows this and b) that he's getting more desperate. I find it hard to imagine that he's going to launch a nuke in this kind of situation because it would definitely swing the mood completely against him. Even without Western retaliation, he'd most likely be finished politcally (and as a human being probably as well).

In general, he seems to be losing any grip he had over the whole Ukraine war. He already pulled his strongest economic lever and it seems to be already biting him in the ass. Now he's calling for mobilisation and risks losing the Russian people's support/indifference. And his propaganda machinery increases the pressure on the oligarchs as well. All smells as if Putin's system of government is about to implode.