Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Beautiful border crossing

dove

Shockingly low percentage, expected it to be more than 99%.

jackal&hyde

The guy in the military uniform looks either super tired or very drunk. He was barely pushed and fell like a ton of bricks :lol: If these are the reinforcements then I'm sorry for the poor lads once they discover real war.

dove

Iranian drones are doing considerable amount of damage and according to reports, Russia has over 2000 of them. Attack just happened on the ports of Odessa, some were shot down but a few hit the targets.

RedDevilQuebecois

Seem to be in good spirits for now, would like to see before/after compilation.
Even the old US woodland camo uniforms you find in your military surplus stores are in better shape than these uniforms. Feck, I sure feel old myself if I bring up the old woodland.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Iranian drones are doing considerable amount of damage and according to reports, Russia has over 2000 of them. Attack just happened on the ports of Odessa, some were shot down but a few hit the targets.

Don't know what more the Americans, Europeans and Israel need to see to start sending over whatever Ukraine asks for.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
The guy in the military uniform looks either super tired or very drunk. He was barely pushed and fell like a ton of bricks :lol: If these are the reinforcements then I'm sorry for the poor lads once they discover real war.
Find myself agreeing with this:

Best choice for the mobilized civilians: go to the battlefront, get drunk, get surrounded, surrender. Altough the high command could confiscate/destroy the booze, which of course will cause unrest and rebellions in the troops. IIRC it has worked in other conflicts in the past.

the hea

If they are using loitering munitions against infrastructure targets they really must be running low on precision missiles and rockets.

dove

Don't know what more the Americans, Europeans and Israel need to see to start sending over whatever Ukraine asks for.
I think the ones who want to see, have seen enough. Unfortunately lots of politicians in important roles are clearly swimming in russian money.

jackal&hyde

Find myself agreeing with this:

Best choice for the mobilized civilians: go to the battlefront, get drunk, get surrounded, surrender. Altough the high command could confiscate/destroy the booze, which of course will cause unrest and rebellions in the troops. IIRC it has worked in other conflicts in the past.
Yeah but booze could be a "courage" factor for many. Make them sober and face the reality of war and surrender is the best option. Either way, normal, non military people will not face well in such a war. It is very different for the poor Ukrainians because they are fighting for their homes and families; but the Russian recruits? They are meat to the grinder. I feel a bit sorry for all those poor men that instead of living a normal decent life will die and, have died for the egomania of a dictator. I know it's wrong to say but for how much pain putin is creating I hope even his family will suffer for it.

jackal&hyde

Little did Putin know this strategy would eventually lead to his own demise.
It was obvious though. Most Ukrainians wanted both EU and NATO; getting as far away from Russia's influence as possible. It is the same story as the Baltic states, Poland, Romania, etc. It was predictable.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It was obvious though. Most Ukrainians wanted both EU and NATO; getting as far away from Russia's influence as possible. It is the same story as the Baltic states, Poland, Romania, etc. It was predictable.
I think Putin realized that allowing democracy to entrench itself in a prominent neighboring nation so tightly affiliated with the Soviet past, would quickly spread to Russia, and threaten his own regime from within. So instead of attempting to contain it, he simply went on attack, using nationalism and empire building Soviet nostalgia to "reclaim" lost territory. Ironically, the result will be the same as the one he feared by allowing democracy to entrench in Ukraine - the demise of his own regime and his almost certain death.

dove

I think a million people is closer to reality than 300k. Plenty of evidence point to that.

jackal&hyde

I think Putin realized that allowing democracy to entrench itself in a prominent neighboring nation so tightly affiliated with the Soviet past, would quickly spread to Russia, and threaten his own regime from within. So instead of attempting to contain it, he simply went on attack, using nationalism and empire building Soviet nostalgia to "reclaim" lost territory. Ironically, the result will be the same as the one he feared by allowing democracy to entrench in Ukraine - the demise of his own regime and his almost certain death.
Very well put. I agree.

One of the Russian propaganda weapons is that nations that were under the Soviet boot were "stolen" by the EU and NATO (NATO expansion). Of course, these nations voted to be part of the West while they had no choice but to be annexed to the Soviet's in 45. Putin, being a soviet at heart IMO, still is looking at countries as non entities that should not have a right to self determination. His original manifesto before the invasion was that the former Soviet republics be kicked out of NATO :lol: . The man truly is Stalin's heir in terms of imperialism. Good that today we have NATO to stand up to this type of imbeciles.

dove

What the feck are they going to do with all those men? What are they going to equip and feed them with?
I guess not even Putin knows the answer. However the downplaying of it is dangerous IMO, everyone in the west seem to be very relaxed about it, too relaxed. It's a huge amount of people (even if we consider the 300k to be a real number which is unlikely), and even if they won't have the best training or equipment, it could turn the tide in Russia's favour because it's quite clear at this point that Putin couldn't care less about the casualties or the economy, he will just send more and more. It's vital Ukraine gets all the military support it needs.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
I think a million people is closer to reality than 300k. Plenty of evidence point to that.

I'd imagine that this kind of math/logic problems are evident to the main population right now
Especially when the oficial discourse is that they initially sent ~200k men, almost 7 months later they have suffered only ~6k casualties, but somehow they now need ~300k more (which of course will magically become ~1,2m).

jackal&hyde

They don't have equipment for that. They are already using T62 tanks that belong in the history books. HIMARS has made their artillery look like fools and their air force is still incapable of air supremacy (while the Ukrainian air force is yet to receive NATO aircraft; that might change given the US 100 mil program of training Ukrainian pilots for F16). More men with AKs are not going to help anything except the priests in Russia that are doing funerals.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What the feck are they going to do with all those men? What are they going to equip and feed them with?
Best case scenario for Putin, he uses them to populate Russian controlled areas in Ukraine, thereby further Russifying them and making it harder for Ukrainians to reclaim them. Pulling that off won't be easy since the locals won't have any of it and the Ukrainians military won't stop pushing forward. What is more likely is that a very large chunk of the new batch of Russians defect, flee, or else are so incompetent, that they wind up more so a liability than benefit to Putin.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
They don't have equipment for that. They are already using T62 tanks that belong in the history books. HIMARS has made their artillery look like fools and their air force is still incapable of air supremacy (while the Ukrainian air force is yet to receive NATO aircraft; that might change given the US 100 mil program of training Ukrainian pilots for F16). More men with AKs are not going to help anything except the priests in Russia that are doing funerals.
Exactly, a huge mass of ill equipped and poorly trained soldiers will make little difference in a modern war. If they can't find proper heavy equipment it will only be a bloody disaster, but nothung to really fear.

The only danger there is is a potential nuclear escalation or the Russian Air Force going it with full force regardless of their losses which they would habe and so far cause them to not dare operating deep inside Ukraine.

The Firestarter

Their plan is to deploy them in the occupied areas or rear guard duty. Can't see them effectively doing any of it, you'll have a repeat of Kharkiv/Izium fiasco once the first line of defence is broken. That being said they appear to be digging in for real this time.

GloryHunter07

Obviously, if you delve just a little deeper, it's a parody account. But, this thread shows just how fast people are to jump on comments that suit their narrative, without checking for context. It's not the first time, we've seen in this thread tweets posted that were obviously not true, unverified or just straight up parodies (that people took seriously). Although, most at fault from my recollection was Glaston, who's been banned apparently.

I love reading this thread and use it as my main source of news regarding the war. It really is that great. But would love if people would check tweets that at least sound too good to be true.
Well said

jackal&hyde

Exactly, a huge mass of ill equipped and poorly trained soldiers will make little difference in a modern war. If they can't find proper heavy equipment it will only be a bloody disaster, but nothung to really fear.

The only danger there is is a potential nuclear escalation or the Russian Air Force going it with full force regardless of their losses which they would habe and so far cause them to not dare operating deep inside Ukraine.
IMO the situation of the Russian air force is proving to be completely dire. On paper they have x number of fighters, but in practice, the reality is most likely very bad. An air force is mega expensive to keep ready and, given the level of corruption in the Russian military, I'm fairly sure they have but a very small fraction of modern air craft combat ready; might have even lost most of that already. The Russian air force is a paper force imo.