Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

RedRover

I think there’s a pretty good chance we are going to see a major escalation in the coming weeks. Once Putin officially annexes the Ukrainian territories, he will use it as a pretext to claim Ukraine is attacking Russian land, which will be used as justification to use more powerful weapons (whether it’s nukes or other WMDs we don’t know ). Once that happens, NATO will be forced to get involved, at which point we will reach a dangerous precipice.
I don't agree with this. The Annexations change nothing. They're not recognised by the rest of the world and Putin knows that. If we was going to escalate why not do so before? The tide has been turning for months. He has warned before that the flow of weapons must stop, and that strikes could be made on supply lines into Ukraine, yet he did nothing.

Annexation also gives him the chance to declare some kind of victory at home. He can pour soldiers in to the annexed territory and dig in.

He's got as many problems in Russia as he has in Ukraine and seeing NATO intervene and wiping out his Army on the ground in Ukraine, and sinking the Black Sea fleet in a conventional attack doesn't seem to solve any of them. Neither does losing what little international links he has left.

I accept he is a dangerous man, but he seems not to have any overarching plan any more. It's all reactive and seems to be designed to survive a bit longer, kick the can down the road and hope for a miracle.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Zelensky invoking the legendary leader of the 19th century Caucasus resistance, Shamil, in this address to the people of Dagestan (and elsewhere). He continues to impress with this kind of thing:

Address by the President of Ukraine to the indigenous peoples of Russia: Fight to avoid death, defend your freedom in the streets and squares

https://www.president.gov.ua/en/new...-ukrayini-do-korinnih-narodiv-rosiyi-bo-78137

The Firestarter

spiriticon

I think there’s a pretty good chance we are going to see a major escalation in the coming weeks. Once Putin officially annexes the Ukrainian territories, he will use it as a pretext to claim Ukraine is attacking Russian land, which will be used as justification to use more powerful weapons (whether it’s nukes or other WMDs we don’t know ). Once that happens, NATO will be forced to get involved, at which point we will reach a dangerous precipice.
Ukraine has already hit the 'annexed' territory of Crimea several times in the last few months. They aren't afraid to keep going, regardless of the shite the Kremlin is dishing out. Might even hit the Crimean bridge.

Yes, NATO might have to get involved in some way if tactical nuclear weapons are used. But we knew that from the very beginning in February. Nothing really has changed in the situation, apart from the threats getting louder.

I still think we're far away from that possibility, although never say never. The rats in the Kremlin are cornered.

Rajma

Another absolute massacre by Russia against a column of civilians trying to evacuate to Zaporyzhia, the images are too disturbing to share but the world should see it what Russian world is all about.

Last edited:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I agree, although it affects them directly as opposed to many here. I’m just deeply frustrated by their apathy to all this given the circumstances. I really believed that mobilization will finally wake them up but I was wrong here.
Apathy? They're literally fleeing their homeland.

Rajma

Russia troops are retreating from Lyman and will try a breakthrough from the encirclement, hopefully none of them makes it alive.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Russia troops are retreating from Lyman and will try a breakthrough from the encirclement, hopefully none of them makes it alive.
Hopefully they change their mind and surrender. Hoping for so many people to die isn't how we should think I believe.

For a future change in Russia we need a lot of people who understand how wrong their current way is and it seems lik most Russian PoW have at least some of this understanding.

Rajma

Hopefully they change their mind and surrender. Hoping for so many people to die isn't how we should think I believe.

For a future change in Russia we need a lot of people who understand how wrong their current way is and it seems lik most Russian PoW have at least some of this understanding.
They’ve clearly made a decision not to surrender, I’m not sure what else can we hope for in such a situation.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Our lives would be a lot better if someone set off a few bombs in this room where Putin is giving his speech.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm somewhat surprised Putin is increasing, not decreasing, his commitment to the invasion. Annexed territory becomes Russian territory and "Russian territory" must be defended, no?

the hea

Last edited:

HookedOnAPhelan

I genuinely fear it’s a matter of time before Putin pushes the button. He’s not backing down and is instead escalating things at every turn. They are not winning the war without using nukes, and losing the war doesn’t seem to be an option for him.

I really hope there are sane heads in the Kremlin who will stop him if he goes there, but they all seem like fascist lunatics from the outside.

I hope to feck China sends a clear warning to Putin not to go nuclear.

Last edited:

YouOnlyLiveTwice

He is desperate to end this war while still gaining something from it. What the right thing to do from here for Ukraine, i don't know.

spiriticon

Putin has definitely been isolated too much during Covid and has been reading too much Russian Daily Mail.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Batshit how the World Cup in 2018 went ahead in Russia and ennobled the seizure of more territory and this sort of aggressive behaviour.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
He is desperate to end this war while still gaining something from it. What the right thing to do from here for Ukraine, i don't know.
Keep doing what they are doing. If Russia uses nuclear weapons, then NATO will respond in kind. It would be an irrational action from Russia, albeit one that feels ever more likely. Putin's had all the off-ramps he would ever need and has ignored all of them. Unfortunately, it will be a uncomfortable ride for the next few weeks, months and years. There's not much we can do about that, except continue to oppose his aggression in Ukraine.

Revan

Assumptionman
From best to worst for Ukraine:

1) Winning the war, getting back their territories and joining NATO (very unlikely).
2) Agreeing with Russia that Russia keeps Crimea while Ukraine joins NATO (very unlikely).
3) Agreeing with Russia that Russia keeps Crimea while Ukraine stays neutral (unlikely).
4) Winning the war and getting everything except Crimea (unlikely).
5) The war continuing for some time with a kind of stalemate, with Russia fortifying their positions (possible).
6) Sane as (5) but Ukraine having enough of it and giving those territories (unlikely).
7) Losing the war and so having to give up those territories with chances being high for another invasion (Kharkiv/Odessa) in a couple of years (unlikely).
8) Suing for peace after Russia uses tactical nukes (possible).
9) Getting destroyed by Russian nukes (heavy unlikely).
10) Total destruction of the civilization by a tactical nuke exchange that goes strategic (extremely unlikely).

I think that either a stalemate or Russia using tactical nukes are the main possibilities right now. Though of course, someone killing Putin might change the scenario. But I do not see Putin accepting a defeat while still has the nuke card.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Keep doing what they are doing. If Russia uses nuclear weapons, then NATO will respond in kind. It would be an irrational action from Russia, albeit one that feels ever more likely. Putin's had all the off-ramps he would ever need and has ignored all of them. Unfortunately, it will be a uncomfortable ride for the next few weeks, months and years. There's not much we can do about that, except continue to oppose his aggression in Ukraine.
What do you think NATO would do in the case of a nuclear attack on Ukraine? I doubt they will repay it in similar fashion, more sanctions maybe, but that won't help the dead Ukrainians.

dal

If someone took him out the turmoil would be insane, he probably has a pre recorded video of him self with responses like I'm still alive please continue special operation.

Seriously though if he wasn’t there I just wonder which gangster would get the nuke codes.

Rajma

What do you think NATO would do in the case of a nuclear attack on Ukraine? I doubt they will repay it in similar fashion, more sanctions maybe, but that won't help the dead Ukrainians.
NATO won’t get involved, I think the US will act on their own accord to not destabilize Europe. Even Putin understands he wouldn’t want to face US in standalone fight.

Revan

Assumptionman
I read an article a few days ago where they mentioned 4 options:

1) Capitulating and suing for peace.
2) Total sanctions (similar to those of North Korea) with sanctions towards states that do not sanction Russia. Likely China will withdraw the support for Russia and so Russia becomes isolated.
3) Conventional warfare against the Russian forces in Ukraine.
4) Using nukes against Russia.

The article concluded that pretty much everyone high in Biden’s administration knows that the real choice is between (2) and (3).

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
1) Winning the war, getting back their territories and joining NATO (very unlikely).
2) Agreeing with Russia that Russia keeps Crimea while Ukraine joins NATO (very unlikely).
3) Agreeing with Russia that Russia keeps Crimea while Ukraine stays neutral (unlikely).
Why are all of those unlikely? So far it’s going this way.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
What's with this "anglo-saxons" stuff? Is it a reference to something? I don't remember this being a thing.

dove

Ceasefire, yeah right.

You can bet some of our western "leaders" will only hear this part out of the entire speech and force Ukraine to the negotiating table just like they did in 2014 Minsk agreement. After bending over for decades I am convinced it will happen again.

the hea

From best to worst for Ukraine:

5) The war continuing for some time with a kind of stalemate, with Russia fortifying their positions (possible).
6) Sane as (5) but Ukraine having enough of it and giving those territories (unlikely).
7) Losing the war and so having to give up those territories with chances being high for another invasion (Kharkiv/Odessa) in a couple of years (unlikely).
8) Suing for peace after Russia uses tactical nukes (possible).
9) Getting destroyed by Russian nukes (heavy unlikely).
10) Total destruction of the civilization by a tactical nuke exchange that goes strategic (extremely unlikely).

I think that either a stalemate or Russia using tactical nukes are the main possibilities right now. Though of course, someone killing Putin might change the scenario. But I do not see Putin accepting a defeat while still has the nuke card.
I think 1-5 are by far the most likely outcomes. Russia is getting weaker for every day and Ukraine is getting stronger.