Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Musk's 'just doing as I was told Tweet' is disgusting. Wanker.
However Melnyk saying "f*ck off" to him wasn't the smartest move either. As usual. That guy really has to be the worst diplomat Ukraine has...

Rajma

I amazed people are actually looking up to this charlatan in this day and age.

On the more interesting note, people are now being hooked from the streets in Moscow for mobilization:
@harms watch out and don’t walk into one of the mobilization personnel as even health reasons seems to be brushed away in some cases.

Last edited:

RoyH1

It's a bit mad that they've reached the stage when they have to pick up guys from the street to bolster the numbers. Surely it would be easier and more effective to bring their troops stationed in Eastern Siberia to the fray? I mean, it's as if Japan or South Korea are going to make a move on Vladivostok.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It's a bit mad that they've reached the stage when they have to pick up guys from the street to bolster the numbers. Surely it would be easier and more effective to bring their troops stationed in Eastern Siberia to the fray? I mean, it's as if Japan or South Korea are going to make a move on Vladivostok.
Japan is actually claiming the Kurile islands (at least some of them) and considers them to be occopied by Russia. So if those are left undefended Japan might want to take them back.

Rajma

They’re already in Ukraine I’d wager as around 90% of their active armed forces are engaged in Ukraine.

Rajma

Has Musk called left leaning people snowflakes in the US yet? That would be so typical to then see him melt like that due to a Twitter reply.

Real Name

Last week, Saldo said Crimea had agreed to take 5,000 Kherson children “for rest” this autumn. Krasnodar and Stavropol had offered to take 10,000 parents and children each, he said.

Nice way of saying abduction of children.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Last week, Saldo said Crimea had agreed to take 5,000 Kherson children “for rest” this autumn. Krasnodar and Stavropol had offered to take 10,000 parents and children each, he said.

Nice way of saying abduction of children.
That's feckin disgusting.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Don't disagree with that reaction, I understand the negative reaction to Musk talking about concessions but if his technology was being provided for free and was, as the tweet says, a 'game changer' then telling him to feck off should be done with a bit of caution.

Hope sensible heads prevail and he continues to provide it for free, but then also bring appreciated for it.

Btw learnt someone I know who came to Munich fleeing the war just lost her brother and uncle, don't know if they were in the armed forces or due to the recent attacks on civilians. She's gone back to bury them :(

Last edited:

dove

Don't disagree with that reaction, I understand the negative reaction to Musk talking about concessions but if his technology was being provided for free and was, as the tweet says, a 'game changer' then telling him to feck off should be done with a bit of caution.

Hope sensible heads prevail and he continues to provide it for free, but then also bring appreciated for it.
Well, it wasn't provided for free. Majority of it has been bought by the Ukrainian soldiers themselves (or donated by someone else) and they keep paying monthly subscription fees up until now.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Well, it wasn't provided for free. Majority of it has been bought by the Ukrainian soldiers themselves (or donated by someone else) and they keep paying monthly subscription fees up until now.
Wait then why is the tweet saying it's free? Was it at a discounted cost or something?

If it isn't free then he's being an ass for cancelling it because someone swore at his suggestion.

Beans

Supports
Neutral

Sure, it should have been done with more tact, but it's not a reason to make a giant shift in policy, if he really has been paying for part of the service. The person who made that response has been and continues to be under incredible pressure, I imagine.

If it's not the reason, it's dumb to make it look like he's that fragile.

Interesting about the source in Washington that's unhappy with him, but I don't have a subscription to read the article. Bringing Starlink to Ukraine, even if only for commercial reasons, isn't a problem for me, even if no one asked. It would be a bit cruel to provide it for free then remove it without some consultation about transiting to another system or looking at the value of keeping it going.

dove

Wait then why is the tweet saying it's free? Was it at a discounted cost or something?

If it isn't free then he's being an ass for cancelling it because someone swore at his suggestion.
Just a very small sample of posts. I am not saying they haven't donated any terminals, they probably have but quite clearly a lot of it has been bought and is still being paid for monthly. He saw a perfect opportunity to advertise his product and he did, now in his typical fashion he will try to fleece the US gov too because he can now hold Ukraine hostage as their operations depend on it.

Lemoor

Coddling a manchild claiming you should make concessions in a war when you've been bombed for almost a year and finally start to make meaningful progress is not great for morale either.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Sure, it should have been done with more tact, but it's not a reason to make a giant shift in policy, if he really has been paying for part of the service. The person who made that response has been and continues to be under incredible pressure, I imagine.
"The person who made that response" is Andriy Melnyk, Ukrainian ambassador to Germany, quite far on the right wing, behaving like that towards anyone in Germany since day one of this operation and the single individual with the highest responsibility for making Russian propaganda about "denazification" believable for parts of the German public. This isn't "incredible pressure", it's just Melnyk how he is all the time.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
"The person who made that response" is Andriy Melnyk, Ukrainian ambassador to Germany, quite far on the right wing, behaving like that towards anyone in Germany since day one of this operation and the single individual with the highest responsibility for making Russian propaganda about "denazification" believable for parts of the German public. This isn't "incredible pressure", it's just Melnyk how he is all the time.
Oh, that guy.

Sure he isn't a Russian agent?

Rajma

Kremlin is silencing extreme pro-war voices (Wagner affiliated, Igor Girkin, etc.) that have been critical of the way things are handled on the battlefield in public (e.g., Telegram channels) by threatening prison sentences.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Kremlin is silencing extreme pro-war voices (Wagner affiliated, Igor Girkin, etc.) that have been critical of the way things are handled on the battlefield in public (e.g., Telegram channels) by threatening prison sentences.
Mash is trash but it would be interesting if this leak would come out true.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Assuming it is true, what do you think it would mean? Why is it happening now?
They're reporting that it is following the complains from the army. I'd imagine that the conflict between the army official and "Z-patriots" becomes even more troublesome with those "voenkori" being the main source of information & opinion-makers for those who are actively supporting the war (so the reports on the federal television won't suffice).

We'll also see who Putin supports more since any court decision would most likely indicate him siding with one of the groups.

Anyway, the more internal conflicts, the better. It can't be productive for their cause.

dove

Thermal power plan struck in Belgorod. Conflicting reports who did it with some claiming it was Ukraine and some that it was Russians themselves.

demetre

That part of German public are morons just like Elon is then

frostbite

Isn't he a "former ambassador"? I think he was dismissed in July ... or am I wrong?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Isn't he a "former ambassador"? I think he was dismissed in July ... or am I wrong?
Yesterday was his last day as ambassador in Germany. That move was announced in July I think, so you are partially right.