Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
To be fair to him, his following posts qualify that statement a bit and he wasn't that far wrong. Russia was an exhausted force and abandoned its entire operation in the North not long later.

edit: It was actually 3 weeks almost to the day that they withdrew from Northern Ukraine :lol:
Maybe now but not by the end of march. Also, i think i recall that russia would not mobilize, but i might be wrong. All in all, i dont think any analist had it right in predictions more than 3-4 weeks. And i doubt they know how kherson front will play seeing such a strategic important place

stevoc

Playing slight devil's advocate here (and I understand the human desire to get involved and help, especially for the neighbouring countries of Ukraine) but how do people square a desire to see NATO (as opposed to individual countries helping with supplies etc ) get directly involved, by setting up a no-fly zone for instance, with the statement that NATO is a purely defensive alliance?

And before people come frothing at the mouth. Yes Putin is a scumbag and wrong. Yes I hope Ukraine win. Yes I don't mid supporting Ukraine. No I don't think NATO is a justification for this war etc etc etc.
I mean it won't happen but hypothetically I don't see how NATO setting up a no fly zone over for example Kyiv to intercept missiles attacking a civilian population would be an attack on anyone. To the best of my knowledge Russia aren't flying jets or helicopters anywhere near Kyiv so there would be little chance of a situation arising where NATO forces would be shooting at Russian aircraft.

frostbite

Also, please forget WW3. A World War needs two sides or similar strength. NATO is one side, what is the other side? The Russians? The Russians do not have any military strength, they can't even beat Ukraine. NATO vs Russia is something like France vs Malta, it is completely meaningless. Using nukes is also not a World War, it is suicide, and it will be over in a matter of days. No, Putin does not want to commit suicide, his Russist ideology is not crazy enough. If he was some hard-core religious fanatic, then maybe... but he isn't.

The Firestarter

Also, please forget WW3. A World War needs two sides or similar strength. NATO is one side, what is the other side? The Russians? The Russians do not have any military strength, they can't even beat Ukraine. NATO vs Russia is something like France vs Malta, it is completely meaningless. Using nukes is also not a World War, it is suicide, and it will be over in a matter of days. No, Putin does not want to commit suicide, his Russist ideology is not crazy enough. If he was some hard-core religious fanatic, then maybe... but he isn't.
Well comparing Russia to Malta is kind of absurd though.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
If civilians, neutrals and/or humanitarian forces are in danger, couldn't they use a reasoning similar to the one used in Yugoslavia in the 90s?
The Yugoslavians didn't have nukes.

Let's face it, that's the only reason why Moscow hasn't been flattened and Putin dead.

Much as I am 99% sure he wouldn't use them, he's got enough of a threat in that 1% to make sure we don't intervene militarily. Shit as it is.

It doesn't really matter what justification NATO members would use if the other side lobs nukes does it?

frostbite

The Yugoslavians didn't have nukes.

Let's face it, that's the only reason why Moscow hasn't been flattened and Putin dead.

Much as I am 99% sure he wouldn't use them, he's got enough of a threat in that 1% to make sure we don't intervene militarily. Shit as it is.

It doesn't really matter what justification NATO members would use if the other side lobs nukes does it?
WIthout nukes, why do you think that the West would have a war with Russia, while they did nothing in Serbia for 4+ years?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
WIthout nukes, why do you think that the West would have a war with Russia, while they did nothing in Serbia for 4+ years?
Because the chance to take out Russia like this only comes around once in a blue moon. They're the old foe.

Serbia was a regional conflict. Awful as the Balkan war was it's not the same scale of importance to NATO higher ups I'd imagine.

You already see it in how much we've sent to Ukraine to effectively fight for us.

frostbite

Because the chance to take out Russia like this only comes around once in a blue moon. They're the old foe.

Serbia was a regional conflict. Awful as the Balkan war was it's not the same scale of importance to NATO higher ups I'd imagine.

You already see it in how much we've sent to Ukraine to effectively fight for us.
Take Russia out? Who wanted that? Europe wanted to finish Nord Stream 2 and keep investing in Russia. There are still many in Europe who want to end the war and get back into business. Do you really think Scholz would be willing to attack Russia? I can't see it.

We need an rvn

Who are Russia's allies? They're alone, hardly a world war.
Civil war is a war within a country
A war is when it’s between two ethnicities (ie Russia and Ukraine)
If multiple nations get involved ( ie nato v Russia) it would in theory become a world war (ie it became a world war when Germany invaded Poland, then France , Belgium, Holland etc despite it only being one aggressor)

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
If multiple nations get involved ( ie nato v Russia) it would in theory become a world war (ie it became a world war when Germany invaded Poland, then France , Belgium, Holland etc despite it only being one aggressor)
A WW is fought around the world. WW2 Was fought on all continents (except Antarctica, and the Americas saw only very few attacks or naval battles). A war about Ukraine still is just a regional thing as long as no ither fronts are opened.

stevoc

There were several countries involved in the invasion of Iraq and that wasn't considered a World War. To be honest all this talk of WW3 in relation to the Russian invasion of Ukraine has puzzled me, unless China got involved (either in europe or in relation to Taiwan) then it wouldn't really be a World War.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Iran is preparing to send additional weapons including ballistic missiles to Russia to use in Ukraine, western officials say

Iran is preparing to send approximately 1,000 additional weapons, including surface-to-surface short range ballistic missiles and more attack drones, to Russia to use in its war against Ukraine, officials from a western country that closely monitors Iran’s weapons program told CNN.

The shipment is being closely monitored because it would be the first instance of Iran sending advanced precision guided missiles to Russia, which could give the Kremlin a substantial boost on the battlefield.

The last shipment of weapons from Iran to Russia included about 450 drones, officials said, which the Russians have already used to deadly effect in Ukraine. Ukrainian officials said last week that they have shot down more than 300 Iranian drones.

This new expected shipment would mark a significant increase in Iranian support to Russia’s war effort. While the precise timing of when the shipment will arrive in Russia is unclear, officials believe the weapons will definitely be delivered before the end of the year.
https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-11-01-22/index.html

ShoePolish

What's Erdogans angle in this? Can't help but feel he isn't doing this to make the world a better place.

goalscholes

Making Turkey a regional power-breaker and essentially increasing Turkey’s influence in the region.
They have a very powerful geographic position, controlling the key straight between Russia and the oceans at winter (so Russia have to keep them on side), and being the bridging point between Africa and Europe (so Europe has to keep them on side)

I imagine they want to exploit their influence in Europe, Asia and fast-growing Africa and avert a huge migration crisis from Africa to Turkey.

Irwin99

I could only make it through 3 minutes of that. What a load of tripe. It's interesting though that she is/they are so ideologically bankrupt that their increasing justification for war is a hatred for Western liberal values but they have nothing else to offer apart from a disgust toward the West.

You think back to communism or you think of different religious ideologies that sustain people and there is something there that unites people, but they've got nothing to offer.