Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

MoskvaRed

Does you not wanting the U.K. to jump in and protect the Palestinians make you an EDF follower?
EDF? Don‘t create strawmen. The UK is an important member of NATO and a signatory to its treaty obligations. We can‘t decide to flounce out at a time when NATO is dealing with a very complex situation on its borders. If we do so, then what’s left (after 2016) of our reputation as a good faith, reliable actor will be utterly trashed.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
There's nothing stupid or evil to not wanting to die in an nuclear holocaust.

Doesn't mean I share his opinion, or that I think he's right, but it's a very humane feeling at the moment
Initial post: “feck you guys, good luck over there. Don’t bother us”

And my reaction was literally quoting that post. Why are you turning it into something else entirely?

the hea

People need to calm down a bit and stop rushing to conclusions. When the debris has been analyzed we will know what type of missile it was, there is also a good chance that NATO air surveillance have been able to at least partially track the missile and be able to make a qulified guess where it came from.

massi83

:lol:

Using a well known pacifist and anti nuclear weapons guy as reason to start a global nuclear Armageddon has to be the peak of this thread.
It certainly would be.

Well, if that had actually happened and wasn't a hyperbole you made up.

Rajma

Initial post: “feck you guys, good luck over there. Don’t bother us”

And my reaction was literally quoting that post. Why are you turning it into something else entirely?
That’s the type of sentiment Putin has been counting on when he launched this invasion and I can guarantee you next step would have been testing NATO proper in the baltics have we had more people of the same type in Europe.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
It certainly would be.

Well, if that had actually happened and wasn't a hyperbole you made up.
The guy wants NATO to start to move into Ukrainian land(Which will cause a war with Russia)and is using a poem from pacifist as justification.

It’s very funny and stupid.

The Purley King

Thanks for the replies!
Does seem more likely that the missile was a mistake though? Surely putin doesn’t want a full nato response? What possible benefit could he gain from that?
must be getting close to the end game soon, I don’t see how things can continue as is for the next 6 months without something major happening (putin gets killed or nuclear escalation).

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
By the way, Moldova also affected.

CHISINAU, Moldova (AP) — Moldova temporarily experienced major power outages across the country on Tuesday after Russian military strikes on Ukraine’s energy infrastructure downed a key power line that supplies the small nation, an official said.

“Following Russia’s bombardment against the Ukrainian energy system in the last hour, one of the power lines that ensures the transport of electricity for our country has been disconnected,” Infrastructure Minister Andrei Spinu said in a statement. “This has led to massive power outages across the country.”
https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-war-moldova-power-outages-edfd0a2990ee1a151e970755657ee73b

Lemoor

Are we having the "let Putin do whatever he wants with no reaction or you are for nuclear Armageddon" discussion again?

spiriticon

You guys need to chill out about the nuclear armageddon.

It's only a nuclear armageddon if the West decides it wants one. It takes two to tango such shit. And as far as I can see, the appetite from our side for a nuclear holocaust is non-existent.

Even If Russia uses nuclear weapons, it looks like it will be a conventional response from us and not a nuclear one.

RedDevilQuebecois

A really sad turn of events. Wankers and their dumb bombs, really.

I say trigger article 5 and be done with it.
Some despicable cnuts, those who said that shite about Poland.

While that shouldn't spark a NATO military response Russia should at the very least be warned the next time it happens it will spark one. Which should hopefully discourage them from firing inaccurate missiles from the caspian sea.
Right now, pushing Turkey to allow at least a couple of NATO military ships (let's say 2-3 Arleigh Burke destroyers) to enter the Black Sea under the pretense of protecting grain ships is the appropriate step to follow. It should be a clear warning to Russia that anything with the AEGIS system can shift from a defensive stance to an offensive stance. At the same time, is there anything else that Poland and Lithuania can do to isolate Kaliningrad even more?

MoskvaRed

Are we having the "let Putin do whatever he wants with no reaction or you are for nuclear Armageddon" discussion again?
Yep, from some quarters. It seems that only we have something to lose In making these calculations on how to respond. Russians on the other hand are no doubt happy to see their families slaughtered and their cities razed in a nuclear endgame all for a devasted strip of annexed land (in what is already the world’s largest country ) under a regime with no discerning ideology other than accumulating wealth for Itself. It seems like an extension of the idea that only the West has true agency. Everyone else just reacts to what we do.

dove

You guys need to chill out about the nuclear armageddon.

It's only a nuclear armageddon if the West decides it wants one. It takes two to tango such shit. And as far as I can see, the appetite from our side for a nuclear holocaust is non-existent.

Even If Russia uses nuclear weapons, it looks like it will be a conventional response from us and not a nuclear one.
Apparently anything we do that Russia might not like will result in a nuclear armageddon. Can't send tanks, can't send jets, can't do this or that because it might escalate something and then nuclear armageddon. Decades of constant scaremongering surely pays some dividends for Russia now, luckily (and very surprisingly) we decided to somewhat stand up for ourselves (at least some countries did, although still should do a lot more). The narrative of nuclear armageddon is being pushed by Russia because it suits them, they want to be feared and just pray that everyone falls for this shite.

Simbo

Its a noisy headline grabber and will generate fury in Poland but strictly speaking in the scheme of the war, I'm thinking its a non-event. Intentional or not, as long as Russia has a shred of plausible deniability, It doesn't matter.

dove

Its a noisy headline grabber and will generate fury in Poland but strictly speaking in the scheme of the war, I'm thinking its a non-event. Intentional or not, as long as Russia has a shred of plausible deniability, It doesn't matter.
I think at best we can hope that we will use this as a very nice excuse to send Ukraine more air defence systems and other modern equipment.

Lemoor

In isolation sure, but if it doesn't get any meaningful reaction from NATO it is going to become a regular occurence and there will be a lot more escalations.

Revan

Assumptionman
Disgusting comment.
I assume it was an analogy of Chamberlain being ‘ok’ with Germany, while the Nazi regime was killing millions of Jews. It was in response to the poster who said that doesn’t want the UK to enter the war.

Again, I can only assume but the poster is making the analogy between other countries just watching Nazi Germany killing Jews and watching Nazi Russia killing Ukrainians and Poles. As long as it is not killing us, we keep a blind eye.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
If there were no deaths, then tomorrow this would already be a non-story. But I assume the fact that 2 people have died does make it slightly more complicated. Interested to know how this is received in Polish media.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I think at best we can hope that we will use this as a very nice excuse to send Ukraine more air defence systems and other modern equipment.
Surely Russia will eventually feck around enough that we’ll hand Ukraine the long-range missiles they have been wanting…surely?

AlPistacho

Inappropriate Content
That was your post in the nutshell though.
Strange. You’d rather article 5 and WW3?
Sometimes a wild fire has to just be left to run its course, especially if you know intervention will only make it spread further to areas it would not have otherwise reached and cost million more lives.