Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

noodlehair

"It's like..."
You can’t sugarcoat war with pretty analogies. I feel like people have become desensitised to war by seeing it so much on the tv, maybe to some they think it’s a like a video game.
True, but there is a ridiculously obvious irony to people rounding on a poorly worded post in this thread, while at the same time all clamouring for an escalation that would very obviously lead to the biggest conflict and loss of life since ww2, based on whats pretty obviously an accident rather than deliberate attack or escalation.

I seem to recall all the military experts in this thread thinking this war would be over in about two weeks due to Putin being a blundering madman and the sanctions crippling Russia to the point of immediate defeat, all while blissfully ignoring the fact the entire of Ukraine would likely be devastated and that no war wgere the aggressor loses EVER comes to an end in a way that isnt extremely ugly. So I'm not entirely willing to trust the general consensus in here.

stevoc

The fact that you claim to have family effected in this war does not give you the right to be irrational or provocative to people who want their country to remain militarily neutral.
That ship sailed long ago mate with regards to the UK.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
True, but there is a ridiculously obvious irony to people rounding on a poorly worded post in this thread, while at the same time all clamouring for an escalation that would very obviously lead to the biggest conflict and loss of life since ww2, based on whats pretty obviously an accident rather than deliberate attack or escalation.

I seem to recall all the military experts in this thread thinking this war would be over in about two weeks due to Putin being a blundering madman and the sanctions crippling Russia to the point of immediate defeat, all while blissfully ignoring the fact the entire of Ukraine would likely be devastated and that no war wgere the aggressor loses EVER comes to an end in a way that isnt extremely ugly. So I'm not entirely willing to trust the general consensus in here.
Your recollection is as poor as your brevity.

Last edited:

AlPistacho

Can’t underestimate “group mentality” many just want to say something to be on the side of the majority. They’ll make a snarky, childish or insulting reply and hope for a pat on the back because they have nothing thoughtful or insightful to say or no genuine emotion to share.

You have a few who have their own opinion and will reply with a rebuttal that doesn’t get personal and aims for debate or if not debate puts across their view.

spiriticon

The breakdown of NATO's Article 5 is exactly what Russia, China, Iran, North Korea and some parts of Africa want. And I'm not sure where the other allegiances of BRICS countries India, Brazil and South Africa truly lie either.

They are just sitting there waiting for this to happen before striking and reconstructing the new world order.

We want to be careful about treating NATO with disrespect. Big Daddy Trump nearly pulled it off 2 years ago. I'm just hoping UK won't follow in his footsteps.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Can’t underestimate “group mentality” many just want to say something to be on the side of the majority. They’ll make a snarky, childish or insulting reply and hope for a pat on the back because they have nothing thoughtful or insightful to say or no genuine emotion to share.

You have a few who have their own opinion and will reply with a rebuttal that doesn’t get personal and aims for debate or if not debate puts across their view.
My god, you're really full of yourself, aren't you?

You were the one suggesting Britain should let their allies down when it is the deterrence of this very alliance that kept and still keeps Russia in check. What do you think Putin will do when his underlying assumption that he can get what he wants as long as he threatens with nuclear weapons is confirmed? Exactly, he will go on with what he is currently doing and attack the next country. He'll play his hand until his bluff is called. Even if he might not attack Britain, you should still participate in the intervention for selfish reasons by the way. There are a lot of negative consequences to Britain if Putin has his way without a direct attack.

Such a hypocrisy. "Let Russia has its fun as long as it doesn't harm us" followed by "you guys are so silly, do you have any idea how horrible modern warfare is?"

alexthelion

The fact that you claim to have family effected in this war does not give you the right to be irrational or provocative to people who want their country to remain militarily neutral.
How can we remain neutral when we've been training Ukraine soldiers since 2014 and have supplied tons of material to aid them against Russia? We're already in, you can't turn the clock back.

Don't Kill Bill

Some (or actually a majority as certain referendum showed) of the British people wish to completely isolate themselves from everything that's happening outside the British islands is surely a sight to behold. Just live in a bubble, enjoy being an island and completely ignore what happens anywhere else, might be a good idea to fortify the island even more, build a dome or something (with a direct way out to Benidorm or other tourist hot spots in Europe unless they get occupied too but in that case, oh well, what can you do eh).
What a crock of sit this post is.

I know you don't agree with the poster, neither do I, but take a breath.

If the UK hadn't put troops in Ukraine since 2015 training their men and if we were not training tens of thousands of Ukrainians in the UK to go and fight for their homeland then just the amount of kit we have given and the fact that Russia pays special attention to insulting us at every chance would suggest we are not isolating ourselves from the security problems of Europe. We were there early and with actual help rather than warm words.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
And the reverse is also true. I posit even more true.

AlPistacho

Dicing with at least a thread ban, here and previous posts, I would have thought.
Someone typed something along the lines of “burn the jews” yet that was excused. Pretty certain it’s not about what’s said but what side of the debate something is said which determines whether it hurts your feelings or not.

alexthelion

Someone typed something along the lines of “burn the jews” yet that was excused. Pretty certain it’s not about what’s said but what side of the debate something is said which determines whether it hurts your feelings or not.
They were just paraphrasing what you'd already said. You need to chill, there's no way back for UK to be neutral, we're already involved.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
It seems extremely stupid for Russian if it was intentional to fire a rocket at Poland to hit a tractor and kill two innocent civilians in a NATO country.

The consequences are catastrophic and would do nothing other than stir up a hornets nest of shit considering they can barely fight the Ukraine with NATO support as it is.

My vibe is it was either Ukrainian or somebody is about to be killed in Russia for their incompetence. In any event, the damage is now that there’s going to be significant increase is air defence in Ukraine from NATO.

Don't Kill Bill

Is this you taking the position that Putin isn't a blundering mad man?

I recall most posters thinking the Russians would have taken control of Ukraine within a fortnight as I suspect Putin did. The outcome of the real world seems to happen whatever the concerns of Redcafe posters.

Don't Kill Bill

If Russia can deliberately release a Chemical attack on Salisbury without NATO responding militarily then I don't think two possibly stray missiles is going to lead to Armageddon. If the pattern persists the response will be proportional.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Is this you taking the position that Putin isn't a blundering mad man?

I recall most posters thinking the Russians would have taken control of Ukraine within a fortnight as I suspect Putin did. The outcome of the real world seems to happen whatever the concerns of Redcafe posters.
Of course, the Redcafe is not the strategy room of the US, the EU, the UK or any other geopolitical actor involved in this war… yet it acts as an aggregator, with many people writing from different bubbles and voicing etherogenous opinions, which seems better to have than not?

The UK-based poster expressing his concerns and calling for neutrality is more representative of the general public in the West than more formed (or informed) posters pretending to know better while speaking out of their depth.

AlPistacho

They were just paraphrasing what you'd already said. You need to chill, there's no way back for UK to be neutral, we're already involved.
I know the U.K. trains the Ukrainian military and provides arms as it does to militaries throughout the world. Let’s just hope cooler heads prevail, the conflict does not escalate and peace returns to Ukraine.

RedDevilQuebecois

It seems extremely stupid for Russian if it was intentional to fire a rocket at Poland to hit a tractor and kill two innocent civilians in a NATO country.

The consequences are catastrophic and would do nothing other than stir up a hornets nest of shit considering they can barely fight the Ukraine with NATO support as it is.

My vibe is it was either Ukrainian or somebody is about to be killed in Russia for their incompetence. In any event, the damage is now that there’s going to be significant increase is air defence in Ukraine from NATO.
The real bonehead move is that Russia fired missiles directly in areas that have zero strategic value at this point in time of the war.

If Russia can deliberately release a Chemical attack on Salisbury without NATO responding militarily then I don't think two possibly stray missiles is going to lead to Armageddon. If the pattern persists the response will be proportional.
The only satisfying and proportional answer from NATO at this stage is to either 1) send destroyers to protect shipping lanes in the Black Sea, 2) isolate Kaliningrad even more (build the wall and make Russia pay for it), or 3) even do both.

Drawfull

Unusual quotes from Biden and Polish PM: If the missile is 'unlikely' to have been fired from Russian territory, are they implying a Ukraine false flag? Surely it'd be easier to say it wasn't aimed at Poland, or whatever, or are they arguing a technicality along the lines of not from Russian territory doesn't mean not fired by Russians?

RedDevilQuebecois

Unusual quotes from Biden and Polish PM: If the missile is 'unlikely' to have been fired from Russian territory, are they implying a Ukraine false flag? Surely it'd be easier to say it wasn't aimed at Poland, or whatever, or are they arguing a technicality along the lines of not from Russian territory doesn't mean not fired by Russians?
I just don't get this either. Why the hell is he saying that? So weird.

Lemoor

But then surely they'd clarify or at least find a form of words to do so. At the moment, Russia are claiming that the UK did it.
It's been 12 hours, there will be a lot more information coming in the next few days.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I don't believe a word Putin or Russia says, but I also don't think they are dumb enough to launch a rocket into Polish territory.

They aren't dumb enough to attack a Nato country, if they are then I'm going to start digging a hole tomorrow and making my bunker.

mu4c_20le

I don't believe a word Putin or Russia says, but I also don't think they are dumb enough to launch a rocket into Polish territory.

They aren't dumb enough to attack a Nato country, if they are then I'm going to start digging a hole tomorrow and making my bunker.
Not intentionally, I agree. Just like how they probably did not intend to shoot down MH17 over Ukraine.

the hea

Strange. You’d rather article 5 and WW3?
Sometimes a wild fire has to just be left to run its course, especially if you know intervention will only make it spread further to areas it would not have otherwise reached and cost million more lives.
So leaving Nazi Germany to "just run it's course" was the thing you think should have been done 80 years ago?