Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

ZupZup

It's surprising that this hasn't happened before now, actually. There have been a lot of air attacks lately, but there were even more earlier in the war. Ultimately Russia is to blame, obviously, but it's a relief that it wasn't actually a Russian attack (deliberate or not).
I was reading an interesting OSINT thread last night on Twitter about how this wouldn't be the first time it has happened... as a suspected air defence missile hit a residential block in Kyiv earlier in the war. Lots of video and geolocation evidence from a source that was if anything, pro-Ukraine.

AlPistacho

The war mongers who were desperately calling for article 5 to be activated are going to be saddened by this revelation.
Especially after they’ve all headed down to their local barracks to enlist.. they should look at the bright side more time to train.

Rajma

It's not like the US ever inflates the performance of an air defense system.
I don’t know, Zelensky also said the same yesterday with respect to NASAMS. The German delivered IRIS-T has similarly success rate apparently, if west would have provided a dozen of these Russia would probably give up wasting their missiles very quickly.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

AlPistacho

Sorry. He completely ignored that my “wildfire” analogy was made after his “burn the Jews” also I clearly stated “a wild fire should be left to run its course IF intervention will make it spread to other areas it would not have reached and cost million more lives”

“Burn the Jews” or any comparison to Nazi Germany is completely irrelevant because that was occurring all over Europe. As tragic as it is, we are fortunate that Russian aggression is isolated to Ukraine.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Sorry. He completely ignored that my “wildfire” analogy was made after his “burn the Jews” also I clearly stated “a wild fire should be left to run its course IF intervention will make it spread to other areas it would not have reached and cost million more lives”

“Burn the Jews” or any comparison to Nazi Germany is completely irrelevant because that was occurring all over Europe. As tragic as it is, we are fortunate that Russian aggression is isolated to Ukraine.
And Georgia. And Chechnya. And Moldova. And Syria. And the UK.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

Regardless, it was a vile analogy. Insensitive at best.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
:lol:

I get your point but like it really does matter tbh.
I said “in a way” and don’t think what I said is laughable at all.

If it’s a Ukrainian rocket they have a perfectly reasonable explanation, which ends up with Russian aggression being the cause of what happened. If it’s a Russian rocket then something like this is inevitable when they launch shit-loads of rockets near the Polish border.

It all boils down to Russia being 100% to blame, no matter which side launched this particular rocket.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
And Georgia. And Chechnya. And Moldova. And Syria. And the UK.
And Belarus. And Libya. And Mali. And The Central African Republic.

Let's just let the wildfire die out though, whilst we enjoy living on our island.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
And Belarus. And Libya. And Mali. And The Central African Republic.

Let's just let the wildfire die out though, whilst we enjoy living on our island.
:lol: funny that the poster decided to double down after his initial failed wild fire analogy. Which, by the way, is the one that eventually has the worst outcome.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

Sweet Square

I said “in a way” and don’t think what I said is laughable at all.

If it’s a Ukrainian rocket they have a perfectly reasonable explanation, which ends up with Russian aggression being the cause of what happened. If it’s a Russian rocket then something like this is inevitable when they launch shit-loads of rockets near the Polish border.

It all boils down to Russia being 100% to blame, no matter which side launched this particular rocket.
Oh my bad, didn’t mean my reply to look like was it laughing at yours. It just made me laugh when thinking back to all the the insane press article 5 button now, the russkies must punished shite that was posted yesterday.

Frosty

I was trying to find a non incendiary way to point that out.

Nato membership alone means that neutrality is already a step away.
It is difficult to make the point given how positively the British Empire is viewed in the UK.

If I can just add this without trying to derail the thread - I would highly recommend for anyone Caroline Elkins' Legacy of Violence for anyone who wants an overview of both the violence of imperial rule, and the way the UK has deliberately destroyed negative evidence of Empire, creating the 'positive' view of Empire in the history books. She terms what Britain did 'legalised lawlessness'

stevoc

Also it should be noted that the British have hardly been isolationist. We have been involved in military conflicts non-stop since the end of WW1: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/ng-interactive/2014/feb/11/britain-100-years-of-conflict.

If there was a strong history of British isolationism that would be one thing.
Yes but as long as that all happens in foreign countries, you don't have to see it on the news and there's no actual danger of it reaching the shores of old blighty then it's fine.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Back to actual news: There are reports about a big explosion in Starobilsk. Rumuours are that it was a GLMRS strike on the Russian logistics hub/storage area there. This further weakens them around Kreminna, it looks like Svatove might fall next.

Simbo

Big Zel doubling down on his claims it wasn't a Ukranian missile, NATO/Poland suggesting (but not confirming) otherwise. Who's our money on???

Last edited:

Frosty

Big Zel doubling down on his claims it wasn't a Ukranian missile, NATO Poland suggesting (but not confirming) otherwise. Who's our money on???
Probably an air defence missile from what is being said. And to be fair to Zelensky it sounds like he is trying to deflect this and kick the admission down the road in a few weeks, and hopefully other news will distract in the meantime.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I don't quite understand how a Russian missile could be coming from a direction where the Ukrainian missile would need to be aimed in the direction of Poland myself, all seems a bit odd but there you go. Fired from Brest sort of direction in Belarus?

I stand by my assertion that Poland ought to do something nasty to Belarus anyway. Perhaps my mind is too simple for all this sort of stuff!

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I don't quite understand how a Russian missile could be coming from a direction where the Ukrainian missile would need to be aimed in the direction of Poland myself, all seems a bit odd but there you go. Fired from Brest sort of direction in Belarus?

I stand by my assertion that Poland ought to do something nasty to Belarus anyway. Perhaps my mind is too simple for all this sort of stuff!
Air defence based in Lviv, Russia targeting some infrastructure north of it, that would lead to that firing direction. Possibly from Belarus, but a long range cruise missile could also have been incoming frim the east, parallel to the Ukraine/Belarus border.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It will be interesting to understand how likely it was for a neighbouring country to be hit, in the process of Ukraine trying to defend itself from Russian attacks in a legitimate and considerate manner.

Frosty

Parallels of 1918. Half a million men were killed and wounded in the last 5 weeks of that war whilst everyone knew the Germans could seek an armistice at any time.

I can see the military logic in continuing to hammer away until Putin comes with reasonable terms. It is beyond tragic that it will likely cost thousands more lives in the meantime.

We need an rvn

Parallels of 1918. Half a million men were killed and wounded in the last 5 weeks of that war whilst everyone knew the Germans could seek an armistice at any time.

I can see the military logic in continuing to hammer away until Putin comes with reasonable terms. It is beyond tragic that it will likely cost thousands more lives in the meantime.
Completely understand what you’re saying - the meaningless lives lost due to a madman pushing for something he can’t obtain is beyond tragic. It sickens me that we live in such modern times this has happened.

but to reply to what you replied to, allowing Russia a winter break to restock from North Korea, china, Iran etc is not an option and hence the push needs to happen to break Putin - I don’t the ukraine (and the west )have an option other than to break them now or the death toll once Russia is re-stocked will be massively higher

really thought I’d be able to raise my kids without fear of war living in a modern western european country..

Don't Kill Bill

Huh? Where did I say otherwise…? UK is one of the main reasons Ukraine still exists but it’s because your government acts completely different than the poster I replied to suggested you should act. You should read the post I replied to instead of making a shite post yourself.
I think in this post,

" Some (or actually a majority as certain referendum showed) of the British people wish to completely isolate themselves from everything that's happening outside the British islands is surely a sight to behold. Just live in a bubble, enjoy being an island and completely ignore what happens anywhere else, might be a good idea to fortify the island even more, build a dome or something (with a direct way out to Benidorm or other tourist hot spots in Europe unless they get occupied too but in that case, oh well, what can you do eh). "

You want to take issue with the poster that's fine it is his opinion knock yourself out.

You want to stand by the rest of the crap in your post ?

Take it back, its not true and you are wrong, you got carried away, fair enough these are emotive times.