Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

ShoePolish

If UAF is concetrating their strenght at Zaporižje that means they're trying to isolate Crimea and split Russian forces at Azov sea?
From what I read on twitter, Russians got few reserve brigades in rear waiting to leg it to wherever the push is happening, so they're probing to see the response in reinforcements front line will get.
But yeah, they are likely pushing south Zaporizhzhya as previously predicted, as getting to Melitopol puts whole of Crimea in firing range, the bridge, the fleet, the airfields, the lot.

tomaldinho1

They will know where all the main defence forces are from shared satellite imagery - what these attacks could be is an attempt to get the Russians to commit some of their reserve forces to supplement an area. These forces will be very vulnerable while on the move. If you can drain away the reserve forces then the front line may not be as resolute in defence, and may be more likely to scatter if they aren't worried about guys at their back forcing them back to the front.
I don’t think there are enough satellites or probably also staff to monitor a whole frontline in enough detail. They will know most fixed positions and I guess will try to track high priority targets but they won’t know where every bit of artillery is, not even close, considering the scale of what Russia has. It’s much easier for Russia right now, any build up of force is very difficult to hide from satellites.

jackal&hyde

From what I read on twitter, Russians got few reserve brigades in rear waiting to leg it to wherever the push is happening, so they're probing to see the response in reinforcements front line will get.
But yeah, they are likely pushing south Zaporizhzhya as previously predicted, as getting to Melitopol puts whole of Crimea in firing range, the bridge, the fleet, the airfields, the lot.
Yeah. Even though telegraphed, attacking in that direction would cut the Russian front in half. If true that Russia has their best troops there, then if they break it will most likely result in a big fall of the Russian lines. If this is the strategy from Ukraine, then it's important for all of us to understand that there will be considerable loses of men and equipment from the Ukrainians and not fall prey to propaganda from Moscow trying to make a big deal out of every tank destroyed, Leopard or otherwise; the benefits to a successful offensive here has the potential to break most of the Russian army IMO, so it's worth it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If UAF is concetrating their strenght at Zaporižje that means they're trying to isolate Crimea and split Russian forces at Azov sea?
They're probably just looking for weak points in the Russian defense before exploiting them. I wouldn't expect Crimea to be in play until the end after most other Ukrainian territory is recovered.

the hea

High loses are inevitable when trying to break fortified positions but the second photo with that many armored vehicles bunched up like that is not a good look. Something has gone terribly wrong here.

Good thing is that most damages seems to be mine damage to the tracks so most of the crews where probably able to get away.

Last edited:

Simbo

High loses are inevitable when trying to break fortified positions but the second photo with that many armored vehicles bunched up like that is not a good look. Something has gone terribly wrong here.

Good thing is that most damages seems to be mine damage to the tracks so most of the crews where probably able to get away.

Should see the other guy.

The United

Well, UA will have issues that RA faced when they attacked. It is easier to defend and talk about the other side's losses. The UA troops will prove whether they are better than the RA in that sense soon enough.

I just hope they learn quickly in the field and get some quick breakthroughs to save lives and equipment.

The United

Well, UA will have issues that RA faced when they attacked. It is easier to defend and talk about the other side's losses. Without air supremacy or cover, it would be brutal for whoever tries to attack to break lines like those. The UA troops will prove whether they are better than the RA in that sense soon enough.

I just hope they learn quickly in the field and get some quick breakthroughs to save lives and equipment.

the hea

These are purely Russian cherrypicked clips of an aftermath, we don't know what went down there.

Good for them they finally have some footage to brag about though.
Ukrainian OPSEC is is very tight at the moment so this is all we got for now. Even if this was a failed breach attempt it says very little about how the rest of the fighting is going, as you said this is only cherrypicked footage from the Russian side and big loses are always inevitable in an operation like this. It will probably take weeks or even months before we get a clear picture of how good or bad things really are.

the hea

Footage taken from a Ukrainian Bradley. This is the evacuation of the crews from the damaged vehicles that was posted yesterday.
Looks like the western armored vehicles are doing their job and the the troops where able to get away unharmed.

Simbo

Its looking like taking out 4 Bradley's didn't actually win the war for Russia after all.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Wonder what happens if the Wagner lot refuse...
Prigozhin already did.

“Those orders and decrees that Shoigu forms, they apply to employees of the Ministry of Defense and to military personnel. PMC "Wagner" will not sign any contracts with Shoigu. PMC "Wagner" is organically built into the overall system, PMC "Wagner" coordinates its actions with the generals on the right, left, with unit commanders, has the deepest experience and is a highly effective structure. Unfortunately, most military units do not have such efficiency, and precisely because Shoigu cannot manage military formations normally. Therefore, the fact that he writes decrees or orders applies exclusively to the Ministry of Defense and to those who are within the Ministry of Defense. What can happen after this order - we will not be given weapons and ammunition - we will figure it out, as they say, when the thunder breaks out, they will come running and bring weapons and ammunition with a request "help".
As for subordination, of course, Wagner PMC is absolutely completely subordinate to the interests of the Russian Federation and the supreme commander in chief. On the territory, according to the orders of Gerasimov and Shoigu, Wagner PMC coordinates all its actions and performs the tasks set by Army General Surovikin. And since Surovikin is an intelligent, competent and experienced commander, the tasks that Wagner PMC developed together with Surovikin and carried out on his behalf showed a high level of efficiency and success.”

The United

There appears to be a lot of good progress lately. Long may it continue.

On the other hand, do we know if they are breaking their first real defensive line? A lot of trolls (I hope) are saying that UA has not reached it yet.

Simbo

On the other hand, do we know if they are breaking their first real defensive line? A lot of trolls (I hope) are saying that UA has not reached it yet.
Yeh their supposed "defensive line" is about 10km down the road from where the fighting currently is in Zaporizhzhia.

ShoePolish

The United

Hopefully, the UA has enough equipment to clear the mines ahead and ammunition to pound that line to dust.

Oh, and some gepards along with them in the field.

Simbo

They are certainly putting a lot of faith in this "defensive line" judging by social media comments. I sure do hope it doesn't turn out to be just one big long target marker...

The United

They are certainly putting a lot of faith in this "defensive line" judging by social media comments. I sure do hope it doesn't turn out to be just one big long target marker...
I think it is more like just trenches with minefields around them. I don't think they have enough to manage all of them at all. But it still makes it hard for the UA, as they won't know if certain sections are manned or not, slowing them down overall. The RA can just run around to exhaust the UA troops. Having some more airplanes and helicopters would make it a lot easier for the UA.

It would be interesting if the UA committed their main forces to the Northeast area now while making it look like they were going for the South.

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
16 Bradley's lost.

Ukraine has lost 16 US-supplied armored vehicles in the past several days, according to open-source intelligence analysis, as the country’s military announced its forces had captured three villages from Russia in an offensive in the eastern Donetsk region.

The 16 US Bradley infantry fighting vehicles either destroyed or damaged and abandoned in recent days represent almost 15% of the 109 that Washington has given Kyiv, according to Jakub Janovsky of the Dutch open-source intelligence website Oryx, which has been collecting visual evidence of military equipment losses in Ukraine since Russia’s invasion began on February 24, 2022.
https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/12/...efield-losses-progress-intl-hnk-ml/index.html

Rajma

Russians shooting at their retreating pals:
Back to Stalinist methods, I mean this was already practiced by Wagner mercenaries around Bakhmut but for Russian army it’s a new low.