Russian War Crimes in Ukraine

the hea

With discoveries like this, I simply cannot imagine now that Ukraine will agree to give up any territory in a peace negotiation. They now know what’s going to happen to their people in that territory if they do.
And this is probably just the begining, imagine what will come out of Mariupol when they get liberated.

Carolina Red

Staff
All those reports of Ukrainian civilians being bussed or transported to Russia...

I fear they may have all been murdered.
Definitely a terrifying possibility. I mean… how would anybody even know unless they go into Russia and find the evidence? Which would basically be impossible.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Given what is transpiring (and depressingly it was all predicted) with these war crimes, I suspect it will become more and more difficult for Ukrainian soldiers to give any quarter to the Russian military.

Simbo

All those reports of Ukrainian civilians being bussed or transported to Russia...

I fear they may have all been murdered.
Or just dumped in the far reaches of Siberia. You need a kind of internal passport to use public transportation in Russia, so...

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Yes it will
Really struggling to understand the motivation behind carving out all ongoing updates on the Russian atrocities into a neutrally titled “War Crimes” thread, when it is the key development of the war currently.

The OP of @golden_blunder really doesn’t suggest this is the intention.

Carolina Red

Staff
Really struggling to understand the motivation behind carving out all ongoing updates on the Russian atrocities into a neutrally titled “War Crimes” thread, when it is the key development of the war currently.

The OP of @golden_blunder really doesn’t suggest this is the intention.
Geebs requested it and it was discussed in the mod forum and agreed on by multiple people, so that’s what I’m doing.

Edit: now with an updated title

Last edited:

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Geebs requested it and it was discussed in the mod forum and agreed on by multiple people, so that’s what I’m doing.

Edit: now with an updated title
Can the thread title be edited to make clear this thread includes the latest developments from Ukraine and not the Russian invasion thread?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not intending to criticise the individual poster but I'm reminded that someone suggested at the start of the war that the best outcome would be a quick Russian win, as they believed life would continue on as normal for most regular Ukrainians under Russian occupation. It seemed a very naive POV at the time and increasingly so as evidence of Russian war crimes now mounts.
This is not a campaign that was ever going to end in benign occupation.

Carolina Red

Staff
Can the thread title be edited to make clear this thread includes the latest developments from Ukraine and not the Russian invasion thread?
I think the thread title speaks for itself now.

Diplomatic/Military updates: Invasion thread
Russian War Crimes: This thread

Pretty straightforward

Neo_Mufc

Difficult for me to put this into any perspective. Absolutely heart breaking.

frostbite

Not intending to criticise the individual poster but I'm reminded that someone suggested at the start of the war that the best outcome would be a quick Russian win, as they believed life would continue on as normal for most regular Ukrainians under Russian occupation. It seemed a very naive POV at the time and increasingly so as evidence of Russian war crimes now mounts.
Yes, now it seems that many of us (myself included) could not imagine what the Russian goals were.

Right now, it seems to me that their main goal were to exterminate a lot of the opposition, to kill and jail many of those who took part in the Maidan Uprising, and tell us that all these people were Nazis. Then, their puppet would have a much easier time keeping everyone under his control, since people would be scared for themselves and their families.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yep, hate to say but "I called it"... It was obvious what their true intentions were, and it was all too similar to what Bosnians experienced in the 90's. Russians don't believe that Ukrainians have a right to exist essentially, and want them gone. People who thought this was about resources or whatever... Bollocks. Its purely about some people who have a deep hatred for an identity and feeling like they are intruders on something that is his right. Its horrible to see but unfortunately, not surprising.

RedDevilQuebecois

Jesus…

I'm so fecking done with that government and all of the motherfeckers who still support that invasion despite the grueling reality on the ground. There is a special place in hell waiting for all of them.

Smores

I suggested the likes of Mariupol surrender for this very reason, i expected such atrocities. There's every chance they'd have done some of these anyway to political figures but i don't think it would have been as widespread.

I was wrong as strategically holding out meant Ukraine was able to push back elsewhere. It's come at a huge cost though and no one can really put a value on the dead to say if it was worth it or not.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I suggested the likes of Mariupol surrender for this very reason, i expected such atrocities. There's every chance they'd have done some of these anyway to political figures but i don't think it would have been as widespread.

I was wrong as strategically holding out meant Ukraine was able to push back elsewhere. It's come at a huge cost though and no one can really put a value on the dead to say if it was worth it or not.
There’s several years of Russian history to learn from that shows that men, women and children would be slaughtered and imprisoned irregardless. The idea that Putin could be a benign dictator over Ukraine was utterly asinine.

Even I was a bit naive and just how low the Russians viewed and would treat Ukrainians. I looked at people who knew better and had studied the history, thinking that they were over exaggerating or being a bit sensationalist.

Nope. They were completely correct in fearing genocide.

Smores

There’s several years of Russian history to learn from that shows that men, women and children would be slaughtered and imprisoned irregardless. The idea that Putin could be a benign dictator over Ukraine was utterly asinine.

Even I was a bit naive and just how low the Russians viewed and would treat Ukrainians. I looked at people who knew better and had studied the history, thinking that they were over exaggerating or being a bit sensationalist.

Nope. They were completely correct in fearing genocide.
But it's not been the case everytime, Georgia for instance had war crimes committed but in hindsight they look very tame compared to the atrocities here.

What's always been true with Russia is that they'll resort to indiscriminate bombing and worse whenever they're opposed. They primarily commit these acts as a tactic to force surrender and the longer they're around the worse it gets.

Not sure where you're getting the idea of Putin as a benign dictator from, i said no such thing.

FireballXL5

Will any politician ever be able to say 'never again' or 'lest we forget' and keep a straight face?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Not sure where you're getting the idea of Putin as a benign dictator from, i said no such thing.
I wasn't necessarily accusing you of that. I can't remember everyone's posting history in detail. It was more a riposte to those who thought there was ever an legitimate option for Ukraine to surrender to Putin.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I don’t know if this needs being said or if it was in doubt in the broader rhetoric, but I get pedantic at times about using certain terms: what is a genocide, a superpower, etc… This is a professor from Johns Hopkins University (a longer thread in the second tweet):

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I don’t know if this needs being said or if it was in doubt in the broader rhetoric, but I get pedantic at times about using certain terms: what is a genocide, a superpower, etc… This is a professor from Johns Hopkins University (a longer thread in the second tweet):
This is the RIA Novosti op-ed he references. Absolutely chilling reading:
https://ria.ru/20220403/ukraina-1781469605.html

Basic google translate:
https://ria-ru.translate.goog/20220403/ukraina-1781469605.html?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Harrowing footage and images. I tried as much as I could to detach myself from the day to day news of this war but it is proving impossible to not get emotionally wrecked by this.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
I really wish NATO would see genocide as a reason to go in and dominate the air and blitz Russia completely knocking out their military capability. Knock them out of Ukraine and Crimea. It won't happen because of Nuclear Weapons but unless he's on his death bed Putin won't want that anymore than anyone else. And NATO probably take the Russian army out within 48 hours

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Raping a three year old.

I will experience glee going forward when I hear about any Russian losses in the war.