Ruthless Strategy - 10 out, 10 in.

redshaw

Woodworm seems to spread pretty fast at OT. Maybe that's Ed's new name.

I'm struggling to envision a player wearing a United shirt full of running and guile. It's like everyone is drinking a special elixir brew that we're not privy too. I bet two of our players suffered thigh strains watching the Spurs City match.

breakout67

Supports
Man City

I'm struggling to envision a player wearing a United shirt full of running and guile. It's like everyone is drinking a special elixir brew that we're not privy too. I bet two of our players suffered thigh strains watching the Spurs City match.
:lol:

We have been the laziest team in the league for ages. Which is strange when both LVG and Mou valued work rate. Especially Mou who fawns over work horses. I suspected there was a real problem when a Moaninho team didn't work hard, he is a manager that values hard work more than talent.

quackattack

I'll jump on the train because I too like fiction:
Out:
DDG, Young, Valencia, Jones, Rojo, Matic, Sanchez, Lukaku, Smalling, Pogba.
In:
Oblak, De Ligt, Wan Bissaka, Benjamin Henrichs, Declan Rice, Sancho, Sander Berge, Foden, Lucas Hernandez, Smith Rowe.

To justify a bit. DDG probably want to move and can't blame him, but personally I don't mind him staying. Romero as firs choice if we can't get another replacement?
The listed defenders are pretty much done unless they would like to stay as emergency backup and play for the reserves every week. And while I think Darmian could be done I wouldn't mind him staying as a versatile "fill" player.
Matic probably don't have a future as I find it hard to believe he is a "Ole player".

The players in is a good mix of players that are close to world class, but realistic enough transfer targets and a young and English core that already does well.

redshaw

We have been the laziest team in the league for ages. Which is strange when both LVG and Mou valued work rate. Especially Mou who fawns over work horses. I suspected there was a real problem when a Moaninho team didn't work hard, he is a manager that values hard work more than talent.
Ha yes, the LVG era was probably worse and the root from how deeply set the lethargy is. I could see the players visibly grimacing, hobbling and getting bullied by bottom of the league teams and they complained about the training many times as if LVG had them kicking trees with their shins Jean Claude Van Damme style.

beergod

Heard they want 5 in.
10 out still works considering how disused a good portion of the squad is right now. Would anyone notice if the likes of Darmian, Rojo, Bailly, and Valencia weren't directly replaced by signings?

Kaizane

I don't get most people's casual attitudes towards Herrera and Matic leaving, it's no coincidence that since these two got injured around the same time, our terrible run of form started - They are our most vital players! I don't think Ander's head has been turned by PSG money, it's easy to see he loves this club; the man runs himself into the ground for us 9 games out of 10. I think the hierarchy aren't too bothered about renewing him because he's not a shirt seller or the most marketable - that's where their priorities lie unfortunately and that's where we've gone wrong as a club for the last few years. He will renew if offered the right money and ironically, he's one of few players we have who actually deserves a better contract - it will be an absolute travesty if we allow him to go on a Bosman to PSG and we retain players like Lingard and Martial who turn up when they feel like it.

Ajax have proved this year that's not always about having the best talent but players who are willing to wear their heart on their sleeves week in week out, albeit having the odd worldie to supplement the team would do no harm but one who is a team player.

I don't think we will see a summer of mass movement that some are suggesting, to ship out 10 players and bring in an equal amount in one window is laughable really, it would be like Ferrari trying to win an F1 season with a completely new design they'd just worked on over a few months - wouldn't happen! We need an incremental approach to problem, the absolute most we should be looking to ship is 4 and bring in the same.

This year:
Mata
Pogba
Sanchez
Valencia

There is truth in what Mourinho said about Pogba - huge talent but the celebrity mentality will always hold him back, we've seen players with half the talent go on to become world class. He needs to go because he's holding back the team as we set up to accommodate him when it's not even warranted.

Mainoldo

Out:

Mata
Herrera
Smalling
Rojo
Darmian
Young
Valencia
McTominay
Bailly
Lingard

In:

Rabiot
Sancho
Fernandes
Meunier
Maguire
(Tuanzebe)
Maguire? No thanks. Otherwise looks good. We need a new LW too.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
With Rojo and Darmian being in and around the squad again I think they’ve realised they need to keep some squad depth for back up at full back to allow them to invest in other areas.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Out:
In:
Oblak, De Ligt, Wan Bissaka, Benjamin Henrichs, Declan Rice, Sancho, Sander Berge, Foden, Lucas Hernandez, Smith Rowe.

To justify a bit. DDG probably want to move and can't blame him, but personally I don't mind him staying. Romero as firs choice if we can't get another replacement?
The listed defenders are pretty much done unless they would like to stay as emergency backup and play for the reserves every week. And while I think Darmian could be done I wouldn't mind him staying as a versatile "fill" player.
Matic probably don't have a future as I find it hard to believe he is a "Ole player".

The players in is a good mix of players that are close to world class, but realistic enough transfer targets and a young and English core that already does well.
Many of those targets are very unrealistic.
For example, Hernandez has gone to Bayern, we are not getting Foden or Smith Rowe.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I don't get most people's casual attitudes towards Herrera and Matic leaving, it's no coincidence that since these two got injured around the same time, our terrible run of form started - They are our most vital players!
... We need an incremental approach to problem, the absolute most we should be looking to ship is 4 and bring in the same.

There is truth in what Mourinho said about Pogba - huge talent but the celebrity mentality will always hold him back, we've seen players with half the talent go on to become world class. He needs to go because he's holding back the team as we set up to accommodate him when it's not even warranted.
Good post. I agree fully on Herrera and Matic. Pogba, hmm, don't know, but I am far from convinced.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Expecting woodward to sign/sell more than 3-4 players in a window is stupid. The guy cant deal with football side of things at all. Hasnt signed a dof a year and a half after leaking about it. Hell he even wanted one when jose was signed but dint get one.
Releasing players on a free gives woodward exploding diarrhea . Had the perfect chance of letting 2 of Rojo/smalling/ jones go on a free, signed all of em to new deals, cause they have sell on value, football value means feck all to him. Same for mata who simply isnt gonna work in a system Ole wants.

Pav1878

Spot on. Watching the game last night and any Liverpool game it's easy to see where we need to address things initially.
Some good 'ol fashion graft!

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
There's genuinely not a single player I'd consider indispensable. If the right offer came in for any of them it should be considered. A total rebuild is necessary and a lot of the proven failures need to be offloaded even at cost. We're in need of a complete culture change at the club.

deadrevelz

Quite a reasonable strategy would involve Ole being brave. We need 2 new starters in the attacking line, one in midfield and 2 in defence. Assuming we have 150m as glazers are tight but we keep any money recouped.
Sell Jones (30m), Mata(15m) Lukaku (55m) Darmian (20m) Young (5m) Tony V (5m) Rojo (15-20) these are conservative estimates and should raise 145- 150mill. If we can offload Sanchez aswell then great. I'd keep Lingard unless we can replace him with another British talent as we need to meet home grown quota so if we get Sancho then maybe he can leave
With the 300m we can get Sancho for 80mill, Toby for 25mill, Neves for 50m+ a new 100 million CF(unsure who), a RB for 50 odd mill and use any surplus for Another CB or CM. Martial and Rashford can duke it out for the remaining spot in our front line or Martial can be back up CF. Then we promote Greenward and go from there. Squad needs to be trimmed big time
I want what you're smoking.

Jones 20m
Mata free
Lukaku 45m
Darmian 5m
Young free
Valencia free
Rojo 5m
Sanchez free (-10m in wages paid by club)

Total: 65m

deadrevelz

I don't get most people's casual attitudes towards Herrera and Matic leaving, it's no coincidence that since these two got injured around the same time, our terrible run of form started - They are our most vital players! I don't think Ander's head has been turned by PSG money, it's easy to see he loves this club; the man runs himself into the ground for us 9 games out of 10. I think the hierarchy aren't too bothered about renewing him because he's not a shirt seller or the most marketable - that's where their priorities lie unfortunately and that's where we've gone wrong as a club for the last few years. He will renew if offered the right money and ironically, he's one of few players we have who actually deserves a better contract - it will be an absolute travesty if we allow him to go on a Bosman to PSG and we retain players like Lingard and Martial who turn up when they feel like it.

Ajax have proved this year that's not always about having the best talent but players who are willing to wear their heart on their sleeves week in week out, albeit having the odd worldie to supplement the team would do no harm but one who is a team player.

I don't think we will see a summer of mass movement that some are suggesting, to ship out 10 players and bring in an equal amount in one window is laughable really, it would be like Ferrari trying to win an F1 season with a completely new design they'd just worked on over a few months - wouldn't happen! We need an incremental approach to problem, the absolute most we should be looking to ship is 4 and bring in the same.

This year:
Mata
Pogba
Sanchez
Valencia

I agree that Herrera and Matic should be kept, but even if they stay we need to bring in players who can replace them due to their age. Herrera is probably off anyway and Matic can't play more than one game a week max.

Your point about player turnover is rubbish though and there is nothing to back it up but old wives tales. City and Liverpool did it recently and are now reaping the rewards. No positive to keeping deadwood at a club, none whatsoever. Just because we get rid of 10 players doesn't mean we have to bring 10 in. 5 top quality purchases would be a good start.

You also say only ship out 4, but list Pogba as one.... not Rojo, Darmian, Bailly, Young etc. Ridiculous.

Steven-UK

God I wish we'd do that. Clearouts like these never happen though.
Exactly, shareholders would go crazy at such instability, even though it is required.

At this juncture, the only players I would keep are:

1) De Gea
2) Lindelof

This is by far the worse United squad for 25 years - and yes, I have been watching them for that long (season ticket holder for 12 of those), and there are so many medicocre players in this team, that it is unreal. We are making multi-millionaires out of players that would struggle to get into league 1 teams.

Kaizane

I agree that Herrera and Matic should be kept, but even if they stay we need to bring in players who can replace them due to their age. Herrera is probably off anyway and Matic can't play more than one game a week max.

Your point about player turnover is rubbish though and there is nothing to back it up but old wives tales. City and Liverpool did it recently and are now reaping the rewards. No positive to keeping deadwood at a club, none whatsoever. Just because we get rid of 10 players doesn't mean we have to bring 10 in. 5 top quality purchases would be a good start.

You also say only ship out 4, but list Pogba as one.... not Rojo, Darmian, Bailly, Young etc. Ridiculous.

Liverpool and City did not ship out 10 players and bring in 10 in one Window and suddenly turn into sides able to compete for all the major honours. It took Pep 3 windows to get the team playing the stuff he's playing now, if you remember his first season at City, everyone was touting him as a flop and laughing at him, now look at him! Why do people think we are any different and can get to that level in one window, it doesn't work like that! Even if we could identity 10 players to bring in, it's practically impossible to get all of the targets in one go - the modern game has moved on from the times transfers were done over a fax machine!

I feel people are over-reacting, it's not as bad as is being made out. We are 3 or 4, maybe 5 signings away from competing but even these 5 signings will take more than one window.

Rojo, Darmian, Bailly and Young are by no means starters but useful peripheral players to keep around for now in case of injuries, having said that, that is as far as their usefulness will ever go, if we are serious, their should be better players starting ahead of them but you do not win a league if you don't have players like this who can come in and do a job when needed.

Logically, it would be wise to get rid of Pogba because he would fetch a good amount and his head is clearly elsewhere with talks of Real and Barca never going away. Why hang onto a player who has one foot constantly out of the door? Ship him now and wash our hands over the whole farce - I think back over his time here and it's felt like he's never really settled and put in patch of more than 10 games were he's been consistently good. Get two players in for the money we get from his sale and get on with it, it's only a matter of when not if.

Yes, Matic and Herrera are aging but they are still very useful. Mctominay and Matic could take turns playing the holding role, win-win for both and I reckon Herrera still has two good full seasons in him while we look for his replacement or we get one this window and rotate.

Imagine Ole turning up to Carrington in pre-season with a whole new team and having to somehow get them to buy into his vision and get them playing as a cohesive unit in just a few weeks before the season starts. Anyone who has ever played football at any level, ever, knows that is what is ridiculous!

BlackBen

Agree with the OP.

I'd only keep Lindelof and Shaw, all the rest can go especially De Gea and Pogba (that's if they don't want to be here) their sales will generate a lot of money we can use to purchase new players.

We need fully committed players not players who are half arsed and think they're better than us, this is Manchester United ffs no player is bigger than us. We need to rebuild from the start not paper over the cracks and that must start with a 5 year plan and a huge clear out.

We must accept that we would not win the league next season so no quick fix purchases like Bale, Kroos etc. Let's buy young talented players like Neres, Felix, Jovic, Bruno Fernandes who are bothering on world class or would be extremely good. Players who are willing to wear this jersey and run their bollocks off.

I hate the fact that mediocrity is now our standard and we keep on rewarding it with huge contracts. The people in charge of the club (I'm looking at you Woodward) and the manager (yes OGS, for extending Young's contract and constantly starting him and Lingard) should be ashamed of themselves.

It saddens me how Bayern and Madrid have started quick work on their rebuilding plans and will probably end the summer with most of their transfer targets whilst being ruthless in clearing out their deadwood and we Manchester United who are as big as them will definitely have the likes of Young, Smalling, Jones, Lingard starting for us next season. Are we serious as a club at all?

I love this club with all my heart and seeing it like this fecking kills me.

Last edited:

deadrevelz

Liverpool and City did not ship out 10 players and bring in 10 in one Window and suddenly turn into sides able to compete for all the major honours. It took Pep 3 windows to get the team playing the stuff he's playing now, if you remember his first season at City, everyone was touting him as a flop and laughing at him, now look at him! Why do people think we are any different and can get to that level in one window, it doesn't work like that! Even if we could identity 10 players to bring in, it's practically impossible to get all of the targets in one go - the modern game has moved on from the times transfers were done over a fax machine!

I feel people are over-reacting, it's not as bad as is being made out. We are 3 or 4, maybe 5 signings away from competing but even these 5 signings will take more than one window.

Rojo, Darmian, Bailly and Young are by no means starters but useful peripheral players to keep around for now in case of injuries, having said that, that is as far as their usefulness will ever go, if we are serious, their should be better players starting ahead of them but you do not win a league if you don't have players like this who can come in and do a job when needed.

Imagine Ole turning up to Carrington in pre-season with a whole new team and having to somehow get them to buy into his vision and get them playing as a cohesive unit in just a few weeks before the season starts. Anyone who has ever played football at any level, ever, knows that is what is ridiculous!
So you know better than Pep Guardiola then? He bought AND sold 17 players in his first 14 months. And he inherited a better squad than Ole has at United.

Only idiots were saying he was a flop after his first season. He went for the nuclear option of doing all the transition in the first year and then won the title the following year by a record points tally playing great football.

No-one is saying we will win the title next year, regardless of how many players we buy and sell. The only choice is whether we do the bulk of the necessary work this summer, and try to win in 20/21, or we let all the deadwood stay, only bring in a couple of players and postpone any challenge until 21/22.

Also the idea that we need players like Rojo, Darmian, Bailly etc when they don't even play now is stupid. They just take up space and wages. Liverpool and Spurs have done all right for themselves with a tiny squad. It's not an issue unless you are genuinely competing on four fronts like City this season or United did under Fergie.

If we don't do it this summer, the last 6 months under Ole has been a total waste of time. He knows by now who he wants to keep and who can be sold, we would be mad not to follow through with it. It's clear that many of the players in this squad are not capable of playing the way he wants us to play, so there is no point keeping them.

Stacks

I want what you're smoking.

Jones 20m
Mata free
Lukaku 45m
Darmian 5m
Young free
Valencia free
Rojo 5m
Sanchez free (-10m in wages paid by club)

Total: 65m
Jones 20m? = England international, prem proven CB who went to the world cup, so is regarded one of the better English Centre Halves. if Michael Keane costs 25 million, Ben Gibson cost 15m, Caglar Söyüncü cost 20m, Vestergaard and Kongolo cost 20m. That's what you pay for unproven CB not, Prem proven England full internationals. 30mill no less in this market

Lukaku 45 mill? proven GS track record at club and international level. If Richarlison, Fred, Pulisic, Lemar can command fees for 50-60 mill then how can a goal getter, the most expensive types of players, cost less? makes no sense.

Darmian - that's fair
Young - that's fair
Valencia - that's fair
Mata - agreed
Rojo - 15 million is his current value according to websites
Sanchez - going nowhere
Lingard - 30m plus in todays EPL market

total 125m plus

Kaizane

So you know better than Pep Guardiola then? He bought AND sold 17 players in his first 14 months. And he inherited a better squad than Ole has at United.

Only idiots were saying he was a flop after his first season. He went for the nuclear option of doing all the transition in the first year and then won the title the following year by a record points tally playing great football.

No-one is saying we will win the title next year, regardless of how many players we buy and sell. The only choice is whether we do the bulk of the necessary work this summer, and try to win in 20/21, or we let all the deadwood stay, only bring in a couple of players and postpone any challenge until 21/22.

Also the idea that we need players like Rojo, Darmian, Bailly etc when they don't even play now is stupid. They just take up space and wages. Liverpool and Spurs have done all right for themselves with a tiny squad. It's not an issue unless you are genuinely competing on four fronts like City this season or United did under Fergie.

If we don't do it this summer, the last 6 months under Ole has been a total waste of time. He knows by now who he wants to keep and who can be sold, we would be mad not to follow through with it. It's clear that many of the players in this squad are not capable of playing the way he wants us to play, so there is no point keeping them.
There are 2 windows in 1 calendar year, so that means he bought and sold these 17 players over 3 windows.

And yes, we would be better off keeping them around for at least the coming season because we won't get 5 players in one go, especially first rate players. It should be one in one out.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Jones 20m? = England international, prem proven CB who went to the world cup, so is regarded one of the better English Centre Halves. if Michael Keane costs 25 million, Ben Gibson cost 15m, Caglar Söyüncü cost 20m, Vestergaard and Kongolo cost 20m. That's what you pay for unproven CB not, Prem proven England full internationals. 30mill no less in this market

Lukaku 45 mill? proven GS track record at club and international level. If Richarlison, Fred, Pulisic, Lemar can command fees for 50-60 mill then how can a goal getter, the most expensive types of players, cost less? makes no sense.

Darmian - that's fair
Young - that's fair
Valencia - that's fair
Mata - agreed
Sanchez - going nowhere

total 125m plus
I think what you’re missing is that we have these players on inflated wages so buying clubs need a lower transfer fee (or free transfer) to help subsidise wages.

deadrevelz

Darmian - that's fair
Young - that's fair
Valencia - that's fair
Mata - agreed
Sanchez - going nowhere

total 125m plus
I think you're forgetting the law of United transfers, which is that we overpay and undersell. We sold Fellaini for 10m and he was a first team player. Rojo barely plays... I didn't think you mentioned Lingard in your first post, but I would say 25m for him. Mid table clubs aren't paying much more than that.

Lukaku depends on who wants him. I would argue that it's only a very small number of clubs who desire that type of player AND are capable of paying the fee, hence my lower valuation. He's been linked with the Milan clubs who don't tend to pay much. And he's on fairly high wages.

Dinghy

Maguire? No thanks. Otherwise looks good. We need a new LW too.
Probably not the most popular of opinions on here but I think Maguire would be a great addition. Great on the ball, dominant in the air, he's attainable and would probably cost close to half the price of someone like Koulibaly which will give us more to spend on other positions. I'm probably one of few that also thinks Tuanzebe is good enough already to be a regular starter for us next season. A CB-partnership with Tuanzebe and Maguire has a lot of potential and could totally transform (with a new RB) our shite build-up play from the back and help us dominate games in a far better way than what we are doing at the moment.

Wouldn't mind getting a new LW as well, but that's not happening this window.

passing-wind

Rice
AWB
Sancho
Rabiot / Ndombele
Skriniar

Still need a striker to rid Lukaku, back up left winger back up left fullback.

deadrevelz

There are 2 windows in 1 calendar year, so that means he bought and sold these 17 players over 3 windows.

And yes, we would be better off keeping them around for at least the coming season because we won't get 5 players in one go, especially first rate players. It should be one in one out.
We barely did any business last summer and sold one player this January. That's two windows right there. This summer is the third.

And literally no-one else believes that a 'one in one out' policy is appropriate. Not the fans, not the manager, not Woodward and certainly not the Glazers. It works for no-one. Ship out 10, buy 5, promote youth players.

Mainoldo

Probably not the most popular of opinions on here but I think Maguire would be a great addition. Great on the ball, dominant in the air, he's attainable and would probably cost close to half the price of someone like Koulibaly which will give us more to spend on other positions. I'm probably one of few that also thinks Tuanzebe is good enough already to be a regular starter for us next season. A CB-partnership with Tuanzebe and Maguire has a lot of potential and could totally transform (with a new RB) our shite build-up play from the back and help us dominate games in a far better way than what we are doing at the moment.

Wouldn't mind getting a new LW as well, but that's not happening this window.
I’m not saying it wouldn’t work. But at this point in time we need leaders and quality. If we had Rio and Vidic yeah sure get Maguire. But we need to get the mentality right again and I don’t think Maguire gives that.

Jaae

Not ITK
This squad finished 2nd last year, and this season, under Ole, have the 2nd most points collected since December. They've also progressed past Arsenal, Chelsea and PSG in cup competitions, becoming the first United side in 5 years the reach the CL QF.

This squad needs some improvements, but not an overhaul.

Sorry to interrupt your knee jerk excitement.

Mal donaghy

I agree we need to cut out the mediocrity it has spread like a virus and will consume all the young players coming through if we fail to act.
We need to wipe this squad out and start again, with an emphasis on youth players, an increase in scouting, along with a few shrewd purchases, and paying for future stars not ready made ones, well maybe a couple of experience players but only ones that are a shining example to youth players, players who give their all game in game out , proper 8 outta 10 types, we all know the type, but generally go back to youth and let the team grow together a 7 year plan if you like, Germany did it internationally so have England, we have done it in the past, we can do it again, city's future is bright they have youth in place and can afford to buy anybody , but apart from foden, the youth at city dont really get in the first team, unlike us who do give youth a chance, that's how we could sell our club to the parents of future signings, go to city yeah they have a great structure , but you will have to play somewhere else cause their first team are all international stars, so come to us where they have a chance of first team football.
In a nutshell we have to stop trying to find a new fergie , Stop trying to revive the past, RIP it up start again, make a new United a new future with renewed faith in what is happening in the background , a rebuild.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Out:
In:

no idea what people here see in Oblak. there are so many better bets. would be good to have someone with PL experience and Romero is at least as good as Oblak

Untd55

I think the only way to fix the club is to pretty much get rid of the entire team. I think there has been an acceptance of mediocrity at the club with contracts being rewarded for average performance, so players start to think they don't need to be any better than average because they know they will still get a contract. There seem to be no consequences for being no better than average. It is sort of like a disease that has gone through the club.

Jones - Injured 50% of the time and average the other 50%. What do we do? We sign him to a new contract until 2022. Did we really need to give him a 3-year contract with a 1-year option? No team would pay him the wages we do, so couldn't we have given him a short contract and then got rid of him? Now we are stuck with him. No team is going to spend much on an average, injury-prone player. A classic case of rewarding mediocrity.

Have to be ruthless or Manutd won't be winning the Premier League for another ten years, when this set of players have retired.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
There's some truth to the OP if you compare our current starting eleven with the standards of the Fergie era, most of our players aren't even close to what we used to have. I'd say the following players would compete for a first team place in our best teams the last 30 years: De Gea, Shaw, Pogba and maybe Rashford. A selected few would be on rotation, most would be back ups and hardly ever start a match, some wouldn't even be considered for the first team and sold asap. Our squad is filled with mediocre players compared to the other teams in the PL top six.

You can't compare a player like Herrera with Keane, Smalling with Rio/Stam/Vidic, Lukaku with Rooney/RvN/RvP/Cole/Yorke, Martial with Ronaldo, Mata with Beckham, Matic with Carrick, I'd even say a top tuned in form Pogba is inferior to Scholes. All players who made us one of the most feared teams in Europe.

We do seriously need massive and clever investments over the next transfer windows.

Red00012

There’s no player in that squad right now that I would consider a loss if he was sold. The Closest would be Luke Shaw followed by DDG but this whole contract business is obviously letting him affect his performances.

Kaizane

We barely did any business last summer and sold one player this January. That's two windows right there. This summer is the third.

And literally no-one else believes that a 'one in one out' policy is appropriate. Not the fans, not the manager, not Woodward and certainly not the Glazers. It works for no-one. Ship out 10, buy 5, promote youth players.
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at with your first point, but you've basically concurred with what I've been saying.

Shipping 10 and buying 5 and expecting a bunch of youth players to step up all at the same time ready to fight for the league from the get-go is Championship manager stuff - absolute dreamland!

I don't watch enough games around Europe to know who i'd want in beyond the obvious names like De Ligt and Sancho.

Who i want out is a lot easier though.

This summer:

Young - never seen anyone this bad in our shirt
Mata - legs have completely gone
Darmian - it hasn't worked here for him, let him go back to Italy and play every week
Rojo - injury prone and never progressed
Valencia - past it at the top level

Next summer:
Jones - will never be good enough and his injury record sees him out of the door ahead of Smalling
Lukaku - not good enough to start but too good to sit on our bench
Sanchez - not performed and he'll be too old by then
Herrera - a 31 year old who relies on frenetic pace is not a good thing
Matic - he'll surely be close to retiring by then

deadrevelz

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at with your first point, but you've basically concurred with what I've been saying.

Shipping 10 and buying 5 and expecting a bunch of youth players to step up all at the same time ready to fight for the league from the get-go is Championship manager stuff - absolute dreamland!
I guess Pep must be in dreamland and you are a football genius teaching the mere mortals how it's done.

-Supreme-

Ole coming in during the mid-season is a massive bonus as he gets time to fully evaluate the squad without having too much pressure on results.

I truly hope when used the word ruthless meaning that he won't hesitate getting rid of players that's been heavily involved in the first team squad and not those deadwoods that we fully expect to be sold this summer.