Ruthless Strategy - 10 out, 10 in.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I think if we sold De Gea I’d be unhappy and I’d question it if we sold Rashford, Lindleof or Shaw. Apart from that I wouldn’t care who left.

Have to go:

Rojo
Darmian
Young
Smalling
Jones
Valencia
Sanchez
Bailly
Herrera

Probably not good enough:

Lingard
Matic
Lukaku
Mata
Fred (maybe a little harsh, the guy just has clown written all over him to me)

Seriously considering aren’t up to it:

Pogba
Martial

That’s practically our entire team. We need to have a crazy ruthless Summer. We’ve done it before in 2014 but we need to be more ruthless than that (and not buy in shit players).

I don’t care if we can’t even replace them with the right number of players. Just buy 5 quality players and then if we’re a little thin on squad depth give the kids a chance (Greenwood, Chong etc.). We’re going to be in the Europa League anyway. Just please don’t have the same familiar shite hanging round.

Last edited:

Siorac

Mata - barely gets a game
Herrera - would need to be replaced
Smalling - would need a replacement
Rojo - doesn't play
Darmian - doesn't play
Young - needs to be replaced
Valencia - doesn't play
McTominay - you're off your head
Bailly - doesn't play
Lingard - would need to be replaced

I wonder who would have been on the chopping block for some of you when we got smashed 4-0 in the Nou Camp in the early 90s, or when we got smashed 6-1 by City?

Such a knee jerk thread. We need to move the deadwood on but most of the players people are listing aren't regular starters so how does it solve anything?

We need 4 players that instantly improve our starting XI. Defender x 2, Midfielder and a Winger. That's it.
Erm, what exactly is your point there? Players who barely get a game are the definition of deadwood.

The idea is to get rid of these players, bring in players who will strengthen the first XI and some of the current starters should consequently be relegated to squad player status. It's not a complicated concept.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We need an embarrassing number of players.

Shaw has no competition at left back. Dalot might become a top right back but he isn't yet. Lindelof is our only reliable centre half who can play out.

Our midfield is incoherent. There's neither two in there that make sense as a unit, or three who dovetail nicely. Nobody who can advance the ball from deep, nobody who is versatile enough to do more than one thing well.

In attack we're a mix of potential and inconsistency. Nobody can be counted on for the week in week out goals top teams need their attackers to deliver. They might be great one week and garbage the next.

We are miles off.

Dinghy

Mata - barely gets a game
Herrera - would need to be replaced
Smalling - would need a replacement
Rojo - doesn't play
Darmian - doesn't play
Young - needs to be replaced
Valencia - doesn't play
McTominay - you're off your head
Bailly - doesn't play
Lingard - would need to be replaced

I wonder who would have been on the chopping block for some of you when we got smashed 4-0 in the Nou Camp in the early 90s, or when we got smashed 6-1 by City?

Such a knee jerk thread. We need to move the deadwood on but most of the players people are listing aren't regular starters so how does it solve anything?

We need 4 players that instantly improve our starting XI. Defender x 2, Midfielder and a Winger. That's it.

How will keeping those who never play solve anything? Some of those who's starting regularly now needs to take the step down to being squad-players.

Fair play to McTominay for having a couple of good games lately, but he's not United-quality. This is just history repeating itself (Lingard), a player that no-one expects anything from has a couple of decent performances and suddenly that's good enough for some to want to build the team around that player. If we had bought McTominay for £50-60 million people on here would have slated him after last nights performance, now he gets MOM.

Green_Red

Erm, what exactly is your point there? Players who barely get a game are the definition of deadwood.

The idea is to get rid of these players, bring in players who will strengthen the first XI and some of the current starters should consequently be relegated to squad player status. It's not a complicated concept.
Which is exactly what I said if you read the last part. What I saying is theres no point moaning about players that aren't getting a game. Yes get rid but what baring does that have on the starting XI. It's not a complicated concept, like reading.

Green_Red

How will keeping those who never play solve anything? Some of those who's starting regularly now needs to take the step down to being squad-players.

Fair play to McTominay for having a couple of good games lately, but he's not United-quality. This is just history repeating itself (Lingard), a player that no-one expects anything from has a couple of decent performances and suddenly that's good enough for some to want to build the team around that player. If we had bought McTominay for £50-60 million people on here would have slated him after last nights performance, now he gets MOM.
I never said keep them. But why focus on them after we get hammered by Barca?

Siorac

Which is exactly what I said if you read the last part. What I saying is theres no point moaning about players that aren't getting a game. Yes get rid but what baring does that have on the starting XI. It's not a complicated concept, like reading.
But then why do you say it's a kneejerk thread? A lot of players should leave, and quite a few should be brought in.

And there is a reason to moan about players not getting a game: they're picking up a wage that could be used more productively.

RedNed77

My exit list would be;

Grant
Bailly
Rojo
Young
Valencia
Darmian
Pereira
Herrera
Matic
Sanchez
Mata
Lukaku
Lingard

Get 8 players in over the next two years, 4 in the summer, two at christmas and two the following summer. The other 4 replacements can be introduced from the academy or recalled from loan, Tuanzebe, Garner, Greenwood & Chong. 12 in and 13 out over two summer windows.

Would leave;

GK: De Gea, Romero, Henderson
FB; Dalot, Shaw, 2 new fullbacks
CB; Lindelof, Smalling, Jones, Tuanzebe, 1 new CB
DM; McTominay, Fred
CM; New CM signing with Garner as backup
CAM; Pogba + new CAM
LW; Martial, Rashford
RW; 1 RW with Chong as backup
ST; 1 New striker with Greenwood either of the chuckle brothers ive listed for the LW

Keeping back 1 further signing for summer of 2020 in the inevitable likelihood that at least one of the youth or current academy first teamers turns out to be shite.

If Pogba and/or De Gea go in the summer, their replacements would need to be added to this summer shopping list.

Green_Red

But then why do you say it's a kneejerk thread? A lot of players should leave, and quite a few should be brought in.

And there is a reason to moan about players not getting a game: they're picking up a wage that could be used more productively.
Its kneejerk because it has come directly after a heavy defeat to Barca. As if those players have any bearing on the result. They dont. And we've discussed them to death on here already, so why bring it up again? What does it solve. We knew at the start of last season those players listed needed to go. It's like a scapegoat thread "we didn't win because of these players, boo hoo"

Siorac

Its kneejerk because it has come directly after a heavy defeat to Barca. As if those players have any bearing on the result. They dont. And we've discussed them to death on here already, so why bring it up again? What does it solve. We knew at the start of last season those players listed needed to go. It's like a scapegoat thread "we didn't win because of these players, boo hoo"
We lost to Barcelona because our first teamers aren't good enough and our squad players are worse. The best way to improve the squad is to get rid of the worst players and replace them with players who are better than the first teamers.

We've discussed a lot of things to death here but Ashley Young is still captain of Manchester United so yeah, people will keep bringing it up until we solve the issues.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
You're in need of the sort of transformation the squad saw between 2003 and 2006.

Over that period, many big name players left who had maybe gone as far as they could, or not performed as well as they should have at Old Trafford. Barthez, Veron, Butt, Phil Neville. Younger players were bought in for relatively low transfer fees that would go on to form the nucleus of successful United sides for many years, Ronaldo, Rooney, Vidic, Evra.

Over the same period, you lost Ruud van Nistelrooy and Roy Keane. Two seemingly irreplaceable players.

Roy Keane's ego had become unmanageable, even for one of the best managers of all time. I think you have a similar size of ego in the midfield at the moment in Pogba.

Although at opposite ends of the field, I think van Nistelrooy and De Gea are also comparable. Both excel in their position, but don't necessarily get the best out of the team. Whilst losing van Nistelrooy at the time seemed like a bad decision, it did wonders for the style of play for the team. Perhaps a change in goalkeeper might give you similar now.

IrishRedDevil

It's not just after last night, we are 6th and face next season not in the CL.

Should we stop talking about it and hope we wake up tomorrow and its all change?

Signing 2/3 new players and persisting with the likes of Captain Young, Jones, Lingard will just see us fall even further behind Liverpool and City.

Pep sold 14 City players, United have sold 7 in the same time frame. If we aren't ruthless 4th will continue to be our target.

Mr Smith

I'm always amazed how quickly people turn on players they'd previously been praising after a few bad results...

RedNed77

Yea but that's just he ops decision. 10 out 10 in... who would actually take that seriously? Terrible idea.
If we have ten players who are not up to the task why would we not want to replace them?

You're in need of the sort of transformation the squad saw between 2003 and 2006.

Over that period, many big name players left who had maybe gone as far as they could, or not performed as well as they should have at Old Trafford. Barthez, Veron, Butt, Phil Neville. Younger players were bought in for relatively low transfer fees that would go on to form the nucleus of successful United sides for many years, Ronaldo, Rooney, Vidic, Evra.

Over the same period, you lost Ruud van Nistelrooy and Roy Keane. Two seemingly irreplaceable players.

Roy Keane's ego had become unmanageable, even for one of the best managers of all time. I think you have a similar size of ego in the midfield at the moment in Pogba.

Although at opposite ends of the field, I think van Nistelrooy and De Gea are also comparable. Both excel in their position, but don't necessarily get the best out of the team. Whilst losing van Nistelrooy at the time seemed like a bad decision, it did wonders for the style of play for the team. Perhaps a change in goalkeeper might give you similar now.
Good post and agree with the parallels you've drawn

IrishRedDevil

It wouldn't surprise me if they sold Mendy, Danilo and Ottamendi and bring in three upgrades this summer. Watch the difference between us and them when it comes to Aguero, D Silva and Fernandinho. They will have already identified who they want already which will mean their mini transition passes without a second glance.
That’s exactly what they will do, as they will have footballing people behind the scenes now planning 3/4/5 years down the line. I appreciate stability is needed to do that and it hasn’t helped that we have been through a few managers in the last handful of years, but that just magnifies the importance of a DOF and having footballing people making the decisions. Even if the manager changes, the club should have a clear identity and a plan in place.

Ekeke

If we have ten players who are not up to the task why would we not want to replace them?

Good post and agree with the parallels you've drawn
Because even if we find 5 or 6 players who are up to the task, then they're coming into major instability and wont be able to show it.

Theres a reason we tend to do 3 or 4 players each summer. The fact that we've got those players wrong so much is the problem, not the approach. Which other clubs are signing 10 players?

I guess Fulham did. Did they get their £112 million worth this season? Or did few of the players settle and show what they were expected?

IrishRedDevil

I'm always amazed how quickly people turn on players they'd previously been praising after a few bad results...
I’m not really turning on players, the 10 I listed in the OP (apart from De Gea) simply aren’t good enough to take Manchester United to the next level. If we really want to drive on and catch up with our rivals, they need to be replaced and upgraded.

10 bits of deadwood is a lot in one squad.

I only mentioned De Gea in the sense that if he really wants to leave and his heart isn’t here anymore, maybe it’s best if he is allowed to leave. I would prefer if he stayed though.

RedNed77

Because even if we find 5 or 6 players who are up to the task, then they're coming into major instability and wont be able to show it.

Theres a reason we tend to do 3 or 4 players each summer. The fact that we've got those players wrong so much is the problem, not the approach. Which other clubs are signing 10 players?

I guess Fulham did. Did they get their £112 million worth this season? Or did few of the players settle and show what they were expected?
I see where you're coming from with the instability issue, but another problem seems to be the shitty attitude amongst the current squad and the mediocre results it produces. You see instability, I see a potential blank slate, which is what we could do with IMO.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Monaco almost brought 20 players this season, 8 this winter. But it's a terrible example to follow.

Ekeke

I see where you're coming from with the instability issue, but another problem seems to be the shitty attitude amongst the current squad and the mediocre results it produces. You see instability, I see a potential blank slate, which is what we could do with IMO.
Starting from a blank slate would take more than a season. Ole got the players into a good attitude, it was disrupted by injuries. Hopefully with a summer of signings we can start the season with everyone fit and back with that good attitude

RedNed77

Starting from a blank slate would take more than a season. Ole got the players into a good attitude, it was disrupted by injuries. Hopefully with a summer of signings we can start the season with everyone fit and back with that good attitude
I've been thinking evolution would be sufficient, but I'm just not as sure any more and think a hard reset may be more beneficial. I may change my mind if we get some decent results between now and the end of the season, I'm fickle like that, we just seem a very long way away from where we need to be.

TheGame

Really stupid to be getting rid of so many players and signing so many. People are really clueless if they think that will be successful at all. This is not Football Manager. We need to add to the squad to ensure we have a good one for multiple challenges next season. If players really want to leave, let them go but we should be focusing on improving weaknesses e.g RB, CB, RW not having a free for all of mass signings which would disrupt the team and perhaps even take a season or two to bed in.

johanovic

My exit list would be;

Grant
Bailly
Rojo
Young
Valencia
Darmian
Pereira
Herrera
Matic
Sanchez
Mata
Lukaku
Lingard

Get 8 players in over the next two years, 4 in the summer, two at christmas and two the following summer. The other 4 replacements can be introduced from the academy or recalled from loan, Tuanzebe, Garner, Greenwood & Chong. 12 in and 13 out over two summer windows.

Would leave;

GK: De Gea, Romero, Henderson
FB; Dalot, Shaw, 2 new fullbacks
CB; Lindelof, Smalling, Jones, Tuanzebe, 1 new CB
DM; McTominay, Fred
CM; New CM signing with Garner as backup
CAM; Pogba + new CAM
LW; Martial, Rashford
RW; 1 RW with Chong as backup
ST; 1 New striker with Greenwood either of the chuckle brothers ive listed for the LW

Keeping back 1 further signing for summer of 2020 in the inevitable likelihood that at least one of the youth or current academy first teamers turns out to be shite.

If Pogba and/or De Gea go in the summer, their replacements would need to be added to this summer shopping list.
Agree with you and players like Gomes,Chong,Laird,O´Connor should also be a part of that squad. I would like to see us go for De Light(Pay what ever it takes, the boy is a natural born leader), Bissaka,Tierney,Ndombele,Rabiot(free),Sancho and Moussa Dembele. Say the cost of those would be around 300 million pounds.
We would be getting 100 million plus for the guy´s you listed as outgoing. There is no other way to do this, we have to spend and spend the money well.

GK: De Gea,Henderson
RB:Wan Bissaka,Dalot,Laird
CB:De Light,Lindelof,Smalling,Jones,Tuanzebe
LB:Shaw,Tierney

Midfield:Pogba,Ndomble,Rabiot,Fred,McTominay,Garner,Gomes

Rw: Sancho,Chong,Dalot
Lw: Martial,Rashford

Striker:Rashford,Dembele,Greenwood

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I've been thinking evolution would be sufficient, but I'm just not as sure any more and think a hard reset may be more beneficial. I may change my mind if we get some decent results between now and the end of the season, I'm fickle like that, we just seem a very long way away from where we need to be.
But we have had decent results since December, I think that you should remember that and not put too much weight on the last few weeks(I know that it's difficult). Personally, I think that evolution is the best approach but in doing that I'm willing to see anyone leave if it fits a larger plan, we don't have unmissable players and if some of them can finance arrivals then they are welcome to leave.

Ekeke

I think realistically you'd have to do something this big over 2 seasons. 5 players in 1 season and 5 players the next season. So instead of a blank slate its half a blank slate.

5 players is what LVG got his first season, plus Falcao on loan as a 6th

He got 5 players the next season, with Romero being a 6th on a free transfer

In Mourinho's first season he got 3 expensive signings including Pogba and Zlatan on a free as the 4th

In Mourinho's second season we got 4 pretty expensive signings

And then this summer is the first time since David Moyes was in charge that we only got 2 players in. Although Moyes only got Mata half way through the season.

So under LVG we had that 2 season change of 10 players, its just the players and tactics didnt work out how we'd have wanted. With Mourinho we went for more expensive players but slightly less of them.

10 players in 2 seasons would be fine but the chances of us getting 10 players who improve on 10 players we lose... Well we certainly wouldnt be the ideal club to try something like that with our success rate in the transfer market since Sir Alex was manager

Vadim

I reckon we should sell Old Trafford to the council so it can stage pop concerts, sell every player, sell Carrington, sack Ole and start up a dart’s team with the money we’ve saved.

joedirt87

Valencia
Young
Darmian
Smalling
Jones
Bailly
Rojo
Matic
Herrera
Mata
Sanchez
Lukaku

All 12 of them gone in a flash. Bring in 5-6 signings if possible, then give another 5-6 kids/players returning from loan a chance in the first team Chong, Gomes, Greenwood, Tuanzebe, Fosu Mensah, Garner. See what they can do.

With the likely outside top 4 finish the lone focus should be the prem, which limits how much rotation we would need next year. Every cup game is for rotation and youngsters.

Last edited:

Mugiwarared71

In any underperforming business, to put an end to complacency, rot needs to be cut out. Ruthless changes are needed with no empathy. United needs to operate in the same manner this summer.

I feel that 3/4 new signings would be like putting a sticky plaster on a broken leg. A complete overhaul is needed. It will take time for the new team to gel, but surely that would be better than watching the current lot plod about the pitch.

Young - kicked out the door, contract terminated, locked away in a dark room. Whatever it takes to get him out.

Jones - please go away. He’s been here far too long.

Herrera - his head was turned by money offered by PSG, so good riddance.

Mata - released to any takers. Take his contract offer off the table.

Sanchez - offload him if possible. May need to subsidise his wages. Fingers crossed China can help us out.

Lingard - isn’t good enough for United, I don’t care if he’s an academy product. Man United players need to be able to score and assist goals.

Darmian - I don’t think anyone knows where he is anyway, so just keep ignoring him and hope he goes away.

Valencia - thankfully halfway out the door anyway. Shins around the country will no longer get bruised.

Rojo - bye. Rojo is not red.

De Gea - I never thought I would ever say this but if he really wants to go, sell him. Go and pay Oblak’s release clause. The 3 amigos out the door in one summer?

That’s 10 outgoing players that will need to be replaced with 8/9/10 new players. If this isn’t done, average players will remain at the club. Anything else will be a half-job.

Who am I missing?

Edit: update to say that I don't mean 10 new players. Part of the 10 incoming players can be made up of youth joining the squad such as Tuanzebe to replace Rojo.

Realistically we are gong to have max 3 at a push to 4 players out unless ole really surprises us and completely gets rid of the rubbish . i for one am not hopeful we have a terrible wage structure recruitment structure and no identity right now if we are not careful we will turn into A.C Milan .

montpelier

are the people posting here not happy to do this over 3 seasons - I realise this might be a stupid question

we accept where we are, the target is CL qualification & a Cup run, atm

I know it shouldn't be, but the buying of players since of couple of years before SAF has been short-termist / crap. (+ Woodward)

The CB's alone look like they have had their names drawn out of a hat.

StrettyEnder07

I think if we sold De Gea I’d be unhappy and I’d question it if we sold Rashford, Lindleof or Shaw. Apart from that I wouldn’t care who left.

Have to go:

Rojo
Darmian
Young
Smalling
Jones
Valencia
Sanchez
Bailly
Herrera

Probably not good enough:

Lingard
Matic
Lukaku
Mata
Fred (maybe a little harsh, the guy just has clown written all over him to me)

Seriously considering aren’t up to it:

Pogba
Martial

That’s practically our entire team. We need to have a crazy ruthless Summer. We’ve done it before in 2014 but we need to be more ruthless than that (and not buy in shit players).

I don’t care if we can’t even replace them with the right number of players. Just buy 5 quality players and then if we’re a little thin on squad depth give the kids a chance (Greenwood, Chong etc.). We’re going to be in the Europa League anyway. Just please don’t have the same familiar shite hanging round.
Totally agree with this, don't care if it takes one summer, two summers, whatever, there needs to be a plan in place to get rid of the utter shite we have, as you say if we can't replace them all then replace them with the kids, for me, after this summer (or more probably two summers) I want the squad looking something like the below:

DDG/Romero/Henderson

New RB/Dalot/TFM
Lindelof/Tuanzebe/New CB x2
Shaw/New LB

New DMC
/McTominay
Pogba/Gomes/Garner/Pereira/New CM x2
(Maybe Fred he has looked a little better recently)

Martial/Rashford
New CF/Lukaku/Greenwood
New RW/Lingard/Chong

This summer would ideally want us to purchase new CB, RB, DMC, CM, RW (if there is the potential for a Lukaku/Icardi swap deal snap their hands off).

Summer after see how Fred/Martial/Lingard (all of whom I am seriously losing patience with) get on. Buy a left back maybe another top CB and potentially a CM.

Something like that is what I am hopeful off, won't hold my breath though.

Jezpeza

Our problem is we face premiums to sign players and our deadwood is worthless.

Out:
Young
Valencia
Rojo
Jones
Darmian
Mata
Pereira
Matic
Herrera
Sanchez

Doubt theres 80 million for that sack of spanners.

Targets:
Wan Bissaka
Skriniar
Sessegnon
Sancho
Fernandes
Rabiot

Thats the very most i can see us stretching too in one summer and even a couple of those would be shrewd - rabiot a free and sessegnon from an exploited relegated fulham forced to sell.

The question for the board is - do any of the deadwood we possess actually offer anything more than academy products? Do those pair of sick notes jones and rojo actually justify their wages by playing any better than tuanzabe or Fosu Mensah would?

For me the players are not only poor but their commitment and work rate is low as well which makes it even worse

neilv93

We've got a lot of cracking youth prospects coming through (Henderson, Tuanzebe, Garner, Chong, Greenwood to name a few) who will no doubt be keen to impress and fight for first-team spots. They'd also be significantly cheaper wages-wise than our current crop of squad players so I wouldn't be against an overhaul if some of these kids get brought into the fray to supplement the squad.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
This is completely unrealistic as we are never going to sell 10 players and buy 10 players, plus I don't think we can afford 10 to leave, but I'll play. if we where going to get rid of 10 and bring in 10 I would go with

10 Out:
1, Sanchez, Probably the worse signing in united history, completely messed up out pay structure possibly forever, honestly I think we need to him to get off the books even if it means paying him to leave and hope that resets the balance. And learn from this mistake, you don't give massive longer term contracts to players approaching 30, especially wingers!

2, Darmian - deadwood

3, Rojo - why we gave that contract to me is mental

4, Valencia - basically gone

5, Mata - to old to give a long term contract.

6, Bailly - Really hasn't been good since his 1st few months.

7, De Gea - The guy wants to leave and has for years, and if his contract demands are anything like been reported, we can't give into them and have to let him go. If he accepts a reasonable contract of course keep him, but if not its time to move on and get some stability at the position.

8, Herrera - I love Herrera and love him to stay, but his contracts running out, if he wants a reasonable deal with a maximum of 3 years then i would kepp him, if not not much we can do.

9, Pogba - On talent our best player, but wildly inconsistent. And seems to have been trying to leave since he got here. If he buckles down and commits we obviously keep him, if not its time to move and use the money to buy players who do want to be here.

10, Matic - his best years are behind him, he's too slow and i'd rather have Mcc

I know everyone is gonna say Young but for me he's fine as a squad player for next season.

10 In:(trying to keep it vaguely realistic, even if its an unrealistic scenario)

1, De Ligt - Needs to be our number one target, a leader and the best young defender in the world who we can build our defence around for a decade or more.

2, Joao Felix - The guy has creativity and goals we need both desperately.

3, Alban Lafont - If De Gea goes, I've been really impressed with this guy.

4, Ryan Sessegnon - Hasn't had a great season, but has bags of potential and next season I would like us to have Dalot at right back Shaw at left back, Young can be back up to both positions and so could Sessegnon, he could also fill in Right wing and left wing, so I think he would be a great buy.

5, Kai Havertz - If Pogba leaves we need more creativity in that position, and this guy has it.

6, Declan Rice - This is probably the most unrealistic signing, but if we could get him he could anchor our midfield for decade and provide much needed leadership

7, Ferran Torres - Can play on both wings, is really exciting prospect, he would give us a great option even against the top clubs.

To be honest I think the would do any more and we would just be over crowding the squad.