RW Options

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Anyone for Bowen?
He is a player I wanted us to sign when he was in the championship.

When we decided to go for Daniel James instead it was a big disappointment.

Going for him now seems a bit late when he was available cheaper before.

Devil may care

Fair enough mate I'm not averse to us bringing another top winger in and using Sancho on the left then. But for this season I think we need him on the right and it's a strange choice from Rangnick that he rarely uses him there.

I think I'm just pissed off with the fact we keep buying players capable of playing to a high level on the right like DiMaria, Mkhitaryan, Sanchez and Sancho but then barely playing them there. As you say RW has been a problem for almost a decade and one of the main reasons for that is almost every winger/wide player we sign gets moved to the left.
For this season i can see where you are coming from but Sancho is just starting to hit form on the LW and Elanga looks more of a dribbling threat at RW than at LW, so for the next 12 games I'd leave them as is.

I think the bigger issue is we've not bought a single player who identifies RW as their preferred position where they excel the most, it's always been "can do a job at RW" type players who'd much rather play LW or AM.

Given Sancho is a winger/playmaker hybrid we should be looking at someone on the right who is a tad more explosive and has a bigger goal threat.
Agreed, certainly with the explosive part.

Right… maybe you haven’t watched him enough? He’s one of the hardest workers in that team
I don't think he was talking about his workrate, I think he's saying he gives the ball away a lot going for the impossible instead of playing as a piece of the team.

His stats on the right are great but he's quite watered down when he plays there for us and it's easy to see. Could be because the RB isn't good enough to support him or there isn't enough space like in the Bundesliga.
I think the lack of space and pace of the PL are the main reasons, Sancho is quick but not rapid enough to basically operate as a mostly crossing winger, he's much more comfortable drifting in on his stronger foot to find passing options and linking up with midfield.

jamesjimmybyrondean

It's funny because adding an RW would be an overload as we are already stacked on the wings

LW - Rashford, Elanga, Sancho
RW -Pellistri, Diallo

Unfortunately the quality of these wingers are not up to standard so we do need an RW. But I think we would need to offload at least 1 of the wingers we have already because let's be honest, one wouldn't get a sniff of game time if we get a new RW

JB7

His stats on the right are great but he's quite watered down when he plays there for us and it's easy to see. Could be because the RB isn't good enough to support him or there isn't enough space like in the Bundesliga.
In fairness I'd put that more down to him not getting any kind of run of games on the right to build a relationship with the full back or play into any form.

He's started 3 games on the right all season. Which made sense earlier in the season when Greenwood was playing well down the right but I don't think it does now, especially if we are insistent on playing Rashford back into form because he is a far better player from the left than he is from the right.

Devil may care

It's funny because adding an RW would be an overload as we are already stacked on the wings

RW -Pellistri, Diallo

Unfortunately the quality of these wingers are not up to standard so we do need an RW. But I think we would need to offload at least 1 of the wingers we have already because let's be honest, one wouldn't get a sniff of game time if we get a new RW
Is Pellistri even getting a game for club he's on loan at?

In fairness I'd put that more down to him not getting any kind of run of games on the right to build a relationship with the full back or play into any form.

He's started 3 games on the right all season. Which made sense earlier in the season when Greenwood was playing well down the right but I don't think it does now, especially if we are insistent on playing Rashford back into form because he is a far better player from the left than he is from the right.
Rashford isn't just out of form and Elanga has looked more comfortable on the RW than him or Sancho recently.

JB7

Rashford isn't just out of form and Elanga has looked more comfortable on the RW than him or Sancho recently.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing but he is still getting a lot of minutes and given his history it makes more sense for those minutes to come in a position where he has played his best football, particularly given Sancho has shown throughout his career he's just as comfortable on either side.

Daniel_M7

What about Moussa Diaby from Leverkusen? He has scored 15 goals and made 7 assists from 30 games this season. Plays on both flanks but is more prolific on the right and is also left footed. Only 22 years of age as well.

Devil may care

I'm not necessarily disagreeing but he is still getting a lot of minutes and given his history it makes more sense for those minutes to come in a position where he has played his best football, particularly given Sancho has shown throughout his career he's just as comfortable on either side.
I used to think the same but watching him every week for us I think it's clear Sancho goes up a couple of levels on the LW, and I think Rangnick is making Rashford play RW to try and get him to be a team player, as on the left he just constantly puts his head down and cuts in to shoot, for the good of the team Rashford needs to remain a sub for the rest of the season imo.

Strootman's Finger

With CDM, striker and maybe CB as priority I can't see us buying a RW this summer, especially with Amad and Pellestri coming back, "they're like new signings" or that's what we will be told. Having said that, Antony every day of the week for me.

luke511

Surely this isn't being considered as a priority, when we already have Sancho, Elanga, Amad and Pellestri.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Surely this isn't being considered as a priority, when we already have Sancho, Elanga, Amad and Pellestri.
Sancho should start on the left. So it's Rashford Elanga, Amad and Pellistri and of these options are good enough to start. Maybe Elanga? But he'd have to prove it with more performances like the Watford game

luke511

Sancho should start on the left. So it's Rashford Elanga, Amad and Pellistri and of these options are good enough to start. Maybe Elanga? But he'd have to prove it with more performances like the Watford game
Sancho and Elanga seem like they can play on either wing just as comfortably, so you could probably consider either of them as starting place worthy at right wing for next seaaon, one on the left one on the right mainly. Then there's two hot prospects in Amad and Pellestri as back up I'd say we're well equiped, probably more so than any other outfield position.

Devil may care

Sancho and Elanga seem like they can play on either wing just as comfortably, so you could probably consider either of them as starting place worthy at right wing for next seaaon, one on the left one on the right mainly. Then there's two hot prospects in Amad and Pellestri as back up I'd say we're well equiped, probably more so than any other outfield position.
Amad is struggling in a pub league and Pellistri is a bit part player for Alaves, neither are close to ready for United, and may never be. We basically have Sancho and Elanga, and I guess Rashford if he ever stops sulking and starts applying himself again.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Imagine having 19 years old Elanga as our starting XI winger and Amad and Pellistri who struggle to get minutes or regular place in Scottish League and La Liga relegation team to back him up. We will be in trouble. We should be getting a new winger and have Elanga as backup of both Sancho and this new winger. If Liverpool have Salah, Mane, Luis Dias, and Minamino as their wingers then we shouldn't be okay with something far below their level.

lenny_1248

What about Adeyemi? He plays as a ST but they play 4-4-2, if I'm not mistaken.
He can definitely be a RW and he's left-footed.
Ralf should use his connections.

NoPace

RW -Pellistri, Diallo

I think it's unlikely we'd get a quality performance next season at RW from any of the 4 (let's assume Sancho is on the left) BUT there is real young talent there, so I'd rather we buy a young CM, DM, #9 and CB first.

Then RB vs RW is a tough call for the 5th biggest need, depends on if the new manager wants Wan-Bissaka sold to a Prem team for 20-25M because he doesn't rate him and wants a new one in.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think it's unlikely we'd get a quality performance next season at RW from any of the 4 (let's assume Sancho is on the left) BUT there is real young talent there, so I'd rather we buy a young CM, DM, #9 and CB first.

Then RB vs RW is a tough call for the 5th biggest need, depends on if the new manager wants Wan-Bissaka sold to a Prem team for 20-25M because he doesn't rate him and wants a new one in.
I agree we need CM DM ST CB RB and RW. I think based on reports we are definitely getting a DM and ST. But I still undecided on which position is more important to fill among CM CB RB and RW since we obviously wouldn't be filling all. This is how I see it

CM - I'd say buying a CM depends on if VdB does well in his loan spell

CB - We need a solid CB to partner Varane. Maguire is unreliable and Lindelof has never been a top CB but I do think he and Varane have the potential to be a solid pair. Id like to see more of Varane and Lindelof partnership before deciding how bad we need a CB

RB - Awb and Dalot are not good enough attacking wise. Maybe Laird can be that guy but it's a risk given his inexperience at the top level. If he ends up struggling we wouldn't have any RB that's solid defensively and can contribute in attack. I'd say an RB should be priority this summer.

RW - Sancho should be starting as our left winger. That leaves Rashford Elanga Pellistri or Diallo for the right wing. We know Rashford is shit there and the others have barely done enough to impress. Elanga still has chances to impress which he has been taking so far so maybe he can make that spot his before the season ends. If he doesn't convince then RW is a must

Last edited:

NoPace

I agree we need CM DM ST CB RB and RW. I think based on reports we are definitely getting a DM and ST. But I still undecided on which position is more important to fill among CM CB RB and RW since we obviously wouldn't be filling all. This is how I see it

CM - I'd say buying a CM depends on if VdB does well in his loan spell

CB - We need a solid CB to partner Varane. Maguire is unreliable and Lindelof has never been a top CB but I do think he and Varane have the potential to be a solid pair. Id like to see more of Varane and Lindelof partnership before deciding how bad we need a CB

RB - Awb and Dalot are not good enough attacking wise. Maybe Laird can be that guy but it's a risk given his inexperience at the top level. If he ends up struggling we wouldn't have any RB that's solid defensively and can contribute in attack. I'd say an RB should be priority this summer.

RW - Sancho should be starting as our left winger. That leaves Rashford Elanga Pellistri or Diallo for the right wing. We know Rashford is shit there and the others have barely done enough to impress. Elanga still has chances to impress which he has been taking so far so maybe he can make that spot his before the season ends. If he doesn't convince then RW is a must
If we get Ten Hag I won't be shocked if this is his team:

----------------Cristiano------------
Sancho-----VDB-------Bruno
--------------CM---DM--------
Shaw-Lindelof-Varane-Dalot

and he just looks to fix the midfield first and then we add a more mobile CB after a year of him getting to evaluate Lindelof/Maguire. He probably trusts VDB and sees him as a 10 and might want Bruno in a Tadic type role rather than giving the ball away deeper.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I have probably been unlucky the few times I’ve seen Antony, but he just seems so sloppy. Saw every involvement against Benfica too, same again; sloppy touches, sloppy passing and some arrogant dribble attempt.

A lot of good involvements too, but I would really expect better consistency.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I have probably been unlucky the few times I’ve seen Antony, but he just seems so sloppy. Saw every involvement against Benfica too, same again; sloppy touches, sloppy passing and some arrogant dribble attempt.

A lot of good involvements too, but I would really expect better consistency.
He was the same tonight, reminds me of a young Ronaldo when we bought him from SCP. Antony is very talented but if he simplifies his game then I feel he'd be a even bigger threat. The party pieces should be reserved for when the team is in a comfortable position.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Same with Sancho, same with Di Maria and Alexis Sanchez - they are capable of playing on the right in the same way Rashford is, and have had significant playing time out there again like Rashford or Mata has. Using them down the right is very much them 'shoved out there to fill a gap' too.
Eh?

LuckyScout78

I vote for Raphinha. Consistent. Hard worker and no mood player. Not world class yet. Like Arjen Robben. But i will be satisfy with Raphinha.

Not the left foot touch or Brazil Rivaldo, Messi and Robben at theirs peak. But go Raphinha go to a bigger club, better teammates. Will lift his performance to a higher level.

Raphinha = consistent why? No top manager like Pep or Klopp work with him. But the boy make the great impact in his first season. Chelsea Hakim Zieych need time.
Raphinha is a player like Mane or Bruno will make big impact immetdiately. But like others players he need really good teammates too. Leeds are lacking the presence of Phillips the cm ballwinner and Bamford to score his assist passes.

Raphinha - Bellingham - Tchouaméni - Sancho + Bruno + Rashford. 4411

or 433 or 451 in the defensive without the ball.

Raphinha - Bellingham - Tchouaméni - Bruno - Sancho + Rashford

Mine best recommendations.

antohan

Elaborate...
Di Maria is very effective on the right. His best incarnation was before coming to us when he was doing some diamond LCM come winger type role, but I actually looked forward to him being for us what Robben was for LvG in WC14. Was not to be for us, but he has been great there for Argentina.

I get the rest of your post and agree with it. In fact, I found it downright bizarre that every man and his dog expected Alexis to solve our RW issues. The ADM inclusion is off the mark though.

sherrinford

Di Maria is very effective on the right. His best incarnation was before coming to us when he was doing some diamond LCM come winger type role, but I actually looked forward to him being for us what Robben was for LvG in WC14. Was not to be for us, but he has been great there for Argentina.

I get the rest of your post and agree with it. In fact, I found it downright bizarre that every man and his dog expected Alexis to solve our RW issues. The ADM inclusion is off the mark though.
To be honest, I don't think Di Maria was anything like Robben.

Under Mourinho at Madrid he provided some creativity, but what I felt he mainly brought to the team was hard work and defensive diligence to compensate for Ronaldo on the other side of the pitch - a real shadow of the player he could be.

This is why I included him - he provided something to his team on the right, so it wouldn't be inaccurate to say he was effective there. Compared to his impact on a team in a more favourable role, however, it's a poor position to deploy him in. Hence the grouping with Sanchez.

That last season at Madrid, Di Maria was their best player. Better than Ronaldo. It's easy to dismiss it as a one-off, freak season, but that was the first time he had been played in an ideal position since earning his move to Real on the left side of a midfield diamond for an utterly brilliant Benfica side. And he picked up where he left off at United initially, before it all tailed off for most likely a variety of reasons but the change of formation and him being shifted out to the wing certainly was a contributor.

He has played the majority of his career out of position, and it's impossible to know just how highly he could have been thought of under more advantageous circumstances.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Yeremi Pino, Nico Williams, Adeyemi, Rayan Cherki.

Each with different characteristics but good options I think. Cherki is the one that creates the most doubts in me.

antohan

To be honest, I don't think Di Maria was anything like Robben.

Under Mourinho at Madrid he provided some creativity, but what I felt he mainly brought to the team was hard work and defensive diligence to compensate for Ronaldo on the other side of the pitch - a real shadow of the player he could be.

This is why I included him - he provided something to his team on the right, so it wouldn't be inaccurate to say he was effective there. Compared to his impact on a team in a more favourable role, however, it's a poor position to deploy him in. Hence the grouping with Sanchez.

That last season at Madrid, Di Maria was their best player. Better than Ronaldo. It's easy to dismiss it as a one-off, freak season, but that was the first time he had been played in an ideal position since earning his move to Real on the left side of a midfield diamond for an utterly brilliant Benfica side. And he picked up where he left off at United initially, before it all tailed off for most likely a variety of reasons but the change of formation and him being shifted out to the wing certainly was a contributor.

He has played the majority of his career out of position, and it's impossible to know just how highly he could have been thought of under more advantageous circumstances.
Again, largely agree, more so on what his best role/form was. Still think it's a massive disservice to put his RW incarnation on the same level as that of Alexis, Rashford or Mata. He was (and is) infinitely more competent there than either of them.

sherrinford

Again, largely agree, more so on what his best role/form was. Still think it's a massive disservice to put his RW incarnation on the same level as that of Alexis, Rashford or Mata. He was (and is) infinitely more competent there than either of them.
I am not saying they were on the same level as right-sided players. I am saying that what you get from each player in that role relative to what they are capable of in more suitable positions is similar - so if we said Rashford is half the player on the right wing then I would argue the same is true for Di Maria - doesn't mean they play on that side to the same standard, as Di Maria was a better player.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I guess ideally we'd want more of a goalscorer for this position right? I don't see Sancho being someone to meet the 20+ goal mark.

Goalscoring RW:
Adeyemi
Gonçalves

Creative RW:
Antony
Rafa Silva

All-Rounder:
Nkunku
Berardi
Bowen
Raphinha

Last edited:

Devil may care

I guess ideally we'd want more of a goalscorer for this position right? I don't see Sancho being someone to meet the 20+ goal mark.

Goalscoring RW:
Adeyemi

Gonçalves

Creative RW:
Antony
Rafa Silva

All-Rounder:
Nkunku
Berardi
Bowen
Raphinha
A bit small and not playing in a great league but he looks an exciting young talent.

Mwooyo

RW Options to go for
Micheal Olise
Samuel Chukwueze
I think Micheal Olise is going to be a big star and this summer is the cheapest we will get him for