RW Options

marktan

I would have no issues with us spending £60m on Antony. I honestly believe he'd be our most exciting winger. I think his numbers will improve but the most important thing he provides is a threat to the opposition and a function for the system which has enabled Ajax to score a lot of goals both domestically and in the Champions league. He's also programmed to help defensively and plays with a intensity that seems to come naturally to him. He's also physically strong for his size and I'd like to see a player with his high potential arrive at United.

Hmm from what I've seen of him I haven't been that impressed. Not great figures and then if you watch his goals/assists a lot of it is due to poor defending.

Not really fast, doesn't dibble past players easily.. His best attributes are good close control and a good pass, not too dissimilar to Sancho. I'd rather just play Sancho there.

For example Mahrez was a player I really thought could solve our RW hole in 2018, but Jose / United weren't interested. He was faster, a better dribbler and had a better final ball.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Hmm from what I've seen of him I haven't been that impressed. Not great figures and then if you watch his goals/assists a lot of it is due to poor defending.

Not really fast, doesn't dibble past players easily.. His best attributes are good close control and a good pass, not too dissimilar to Sancho. I'd rather just play Sancho there.

For example Mahrez was a player I really thought could solve our RW hole in 2018, but Jose / United weren't interested. He was faster, a better dribbler and had a better final ball.
He's actually more than quick enough and combines a quick turn of pace with a high level of touch and technique. And he's played in a team that looks to play in the opponents half which means that there's several pass options and overload potential. And that's something we haven't come close to replicating at United on a consistent basis like we see at Ajax, Bayern, Liverpool and City.

One of the best wide players I've seen in the last 20 years, was Franck Ribery, and he was quick but not express pace but that didn't stop him from being world class payer at Bayern.

I remember putting forth the name of Federico Chiesa on here a few years ago, but was told he didn't get enough goals or assists. And if you ask the Italian fans now, they'll tell you how good of a player he is. Its about creating a functional team and goals and assists will come. Ajax haven't struggled to score goals during Antony's time at the club.

Dion

I remember putting forth the name of Federico Chiesa on here a few years ago, but was told he didn't get enough goals or assists.
By one person, who was promptly disagreed with by others. I had a look through the 6 threads you mentioned him in in 2019 and there were nothing but positive comments about him other than that one. I don't think you need to ask Italian fans now, since everyone on the Caf was saying how good he was 3 years ago.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
By one person, who was promptly disagreed with by others. I had a look through the 6 threads you mentioned him in in 2019 and there were nothing but positive comments about him other than that one. I don't think you need to ask Italian fans now, since everyone on the Caf was saying how good he was 3 years ago.
There was several people who played his abilities down due to the lack of of goals and assists. Maybe not directly to me but like with Antony, they also played his abilities down due to his lack of goals and assists. So not one person but several people on here.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
i always really liked Zaniolo as an Italian player. Not sure how he has been post injury.

Bojan Djordjic

I think if we decide that Sancho is the man for RW, it creates a lot more opportunity to sign someone decent for a reasonable price. Personally would be all over Kamaldeen. Already has absolutely elite traits but his price is likely deflated due to a tough injury year. Even his team mate Doku would be very serviceable and looked decent at the Euros for Belgium.

Dion

There was several people who played his abilities down due to the lack of of goals and assists. Maybe not directly to me but like with Antony, they also played his abilities down due to his lack of goals and assists. So not one person but several people on here.
Like I said, I checked every thread you mentioned him in. There was one negative comment about him.

Feel free to find the others though, I'm sure someone said it, but that wouldn't constitute you being "told" and clearly the prevailing opinion on the CAF was that he was very, very good.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Like I said, I checked every thread you mentioned him in. There was one negative comment about him.

Feel free to find the others though, I'm sure someone said it, but that wouldn't constitute you being "told" and clearly the prevailing opinion on the CAF was that he was very, very good.
I'm glad you took the time and effort to check what I was told.

And when people post on the forum, they're sharing (and telling) their thoughts to the people who are active on the forum unless they're specifically replying to a member on the forum. So yes, I was told by people on this forum, that Chiesa not being prolific (lack of goals) was a concern to them.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Sane seems to have now struggled both at City and Bayern - would anyone take him as our bench option?

OL29

Sane seems to have now struggled both at City and Bayern - would anyone take him as our bench option?
He was very good for City before his injury, if he was to hit that form I’d love to see him here. I think he’s at his best on the left though so would be pointless.

Sea-Cow

Kamaldeen Sulemana

I personally don't know anything at all about him other than he is young, wears number 10 for Rennes, and someone in the Caf posted a video early last season where he excelled against PSG. I think he got injured shortly after but screw it, based off that one video along I'm confident in saying he's a star!

Dion

I'm glad you took the time and effort to check what I was told.

And when people post on the forum, they're sharing (and telling) their thoughts to the people who are active on the forum unless they're specifically replying to a member on the forum. So yes, I was told by people on this forum, that Chiesa not being prolific (lack of goals) was a concern to them.
So, spurious definitions of "I" aside, the overwhelming response, and the people who directly replied to you thought Chiesa was great.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So, spurious definitions of "I" aside, the overwhelming response, and the people who directly replied to you thought Chiesa was great.
Yes, 'I' was told by several people posting on the forum. Not sure what you're finding so difficult to understand.

Giggsforever

Pedro Neto would be my first choice, fantastic fotballer. Lightning fast, great dribbling, vision, technique, work rate. Given his knee is good.

Oranges038

I think there's only one solution. 1 goal and 7 assists this season, still only 19.

Quality Passing, corners and free kicks.

Feel like I've seen it somewhere before though.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You're confusing disagreement with misunderstanding.
Your disagreement with me is your misunderstanding. You've taken issue with a post that was mostly about Antony and have turned this discussion into a discussion on semantics.

Dion

Your disagreement with me is your misunderstanding. You've taken issue with a post that was mostly about Antony and have turned this discussion into a discussion on semantics.
You're still mistaking disagreement with misunderstanding. And I don't think it's appropriate to discuss semantics when your position depends on the use of the Royal 'I'. Especially when you prefaced the statement with 'I put forward' then said 'I was told'. Its pretty clear the Caf was big on Cheisa already at that point and essentially everyone you 'put him forward' to had positive things to say about the suggestion.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Kamaldeen Sulemana

I personally don't know anything at all about him other than he is young, wears number 10 for Rennes, and someone in the Caf posted a video early last season where he excelled against PSG. I think he got injured shortly after but screw it, based off that one video along I'm confident in saying he's a star!
Pretty sure Ajax told him to get lost when he went to Amsterdam for a medical and his signature and at the last minute wanted guarantees about playing time.

That's a red flag and it's likely ETH will not want him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You're still mistaking disagreement with misunderstanding. And I don't think it's appropriate to discuss semantics when your position depends on the use of the Royal 'I'. Especially when you prefaced the statement with 'I put forward' then said 'I was told'. Its pretty clear the Caf was big on Cheisa already at that point and essentially everyone you 'put him forward' to had positive things to say about the suggestion.
'Everyone' quite clearly didn't have positive things to say about Chiesa, and there was several posters in the thread (2016) who questioned his stats/lack of goals. And that was the parallel I was making with Antony who is also being questioned by people on the forum who are telling 'me', telling 'us' on the forum about similar doubts they have about the Brazilian due to his lack of productivity.

And me saying 'I was told' or even if I had said 'we were told' is the same thing imo. And whether someone was telling me directly or indirectly is irrelevant.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I hope we don't die on the Antony hill. There are options although not all good:

Berardi
Pulisic
Ziyech
Asensio
Olise
Neto
Chukwueze
Sane
Paqueta
Sarr

Dion

And me saying 'I was told' or even if I had said 'we were told' is the same thing imo. And whether someone was telling me directly or indirectly is irrelevant.
Not when you say this; "I remember putting forth the name of Federico Chiesa on here a few years ago, but was told he didn't get enough goals or assists" it isn't. 'But' is a conjunction with a meaning and those two clauses are clearly linked by it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Not when you say this; "I remember putting forth the name of Federico Chiesa on here a few years ago, but was told he didn't get enough goals or assists" it isn't. 'But' is a conjunction with a meaning and those two clauses are clearly linked by it.
Again, that's your misunderstanding and I've explained what I meant when I said that.

Dion

Again, that's your misunderstanding and I've explained what I meant when I said that.
And I'm saying your explanation is a failed post-hoc attempt to reframe what you wrote because you misremembered/misrepresented what happened, but rather than say "sure, I misremembered" you needed to double down. Your "explanation" doesn't work with the words you wrote. "I said this, BUT someone else said this" has an inherent meaning that those two statements are related, that's what that word means. You don't say the first part of that sentence if it's not related to the second half because it would be completely superfluous. So we're left with two options, poor initial wording or said post-hoc attempt.

Sea-Cow

Pretty sure Ajax told him to get lost when he went to Amsterdam for a medical and his signature and at the last minute wanted guarantees about playing time.

That's a red flag and it's likely ETH will not want him.
Ahh I did not know that. Well, that is disappointing.

El Jefe

Going into the season with Elanga as the backup RW is egregious.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Exhibit A as to why a RW is the most important position for us to strengthen. Elanga would struggle to be a starter at the lower premier league teams IMO, he needs a championship loan if anything. There's no way he can be as high in the pecking order as right now.

Midfield, we can manage, not ideal, but we can manage. Much more hope in someone like Garner coming in if it comes to it. Attack? We're fecked. Sancho/Rashford/Martial can't play every minute. We need a winger to rotate them in addition to Ronaldo staying or replacing him with Sesko

bosnian_red

I'd go for one of the Chelsea rejects if we can't get anyone. Werner or Ziyech, can get them for a relatively low price probably and can at least give us depth.

Rob Bowman

I hope we don't die on the Antony hill. There are options although not all good:

Berardi
Pulisic
Ziyech
Asensio
Olise
Neto
Chukwueze
Sane
Paqueta
Sarr
So who on here is good enough and attainable? I would be interested in Pulisic, Sane and/or Asenio. But no idea if they are actually attainable.

Who else am I missing?

jamesjimmybyrondean

So who on here is good enough and attainable? I would be interested in Pulisic, Sane and/or Asenio. But no idea if they are actually attainable.

Who else am I missing?
Asensio and Pulisic are definitely attainable and up for sale. Olise will be my choice

Trequarista10

Who else am I missing?
Berardi - Would be surprising as Italians don't tend to move to PL, but I'd be delighted if we signed him.
Pulisic - Would be underwhelming and risky
Ziyech - Suppose may make some sense due to ETH connection but otherwise meh
Asensio - Avoid
Olise - One for the future but not convinced. Tbh I'd rather Zaha from Palace for instant impact
Neto - Stock has fallen but potentially a very good signing
Chukwueze - Avoid
Sane - probably the standout on thus list, but career naybe on downward trajectory
Paqueta - Very good player, not sure how good he is on the RW though
Sarr - Would probably get loads of stick from our fan base purely for being a signing from Watford, but I'd take a punt on him

bosnian_red

Berardi - Would be surprising as Italians don't tend to move to PL, but I'd be delighted if we signed him.
Pulisic - Would be underwhelming and risky
Ziyech - Suppose may make some sense due to ETH connection but otherwise meh
Asensio - Avoid
Olise - One for the future but not convinced. Tbh I'd rather Zaha from Palace for instant impact
Neto - Stock has fallen but potentially a very good signing
Chukwueze - Avoid
Sane - probably the standout on thus list, but career naybe on downward trajectory
Paqueta - Very good player, not sure how good he is on the RW though
Sarr - Would probably get loads of stick from our fan base purely for being a signing from Watford, but I'd take a punt on him
I get the logic for Asensio being avoid, but IMO it's more of a desperate situation for attack where we just need to make signings of a higher quality than Elanga (any premier league level winger will do in that respect). Its crazy to go into the season without some depth in attack. Elanga just can't be getting meaningful minutes, he's nowhere near good enough even be part of the 5 man attacking group at all. That's what will hold us back currently. If we can make it through August without injuries and sign some attackers just to give some actual depth for the season and revisit Antony and Sesko next summer, that would do for me. But it's a desperate situation where even a 1 year loan deal for Asensio would be a positive.

Loony BoB

I'm not sure if Sane is the kind of player to care about prior club loyalty, but if he does then he probably wouldn't sign for us. Also don't think it's a good idea to buy from the biggest clubs. Better off signing someone from a smaller club in my opinion, but if he's happy playing second to Sancho at United instead of the UCL with Bayern I'll be surprised and would still take him.

Rob Bowman

I get the logic for Asensio being avoid, but IMO it's more of a desperate situation for attack where we just need to make signings of a higher quality than Elanga (any premier league level winger will do in that respect). Its crazy to go into the season without some depth in attack. Elanga just can't be getting meaningful minutes, he's nowhere near good enough even be part of the 5 man attacking group at all. That's what will hold us back currently. If we can make it through August without injuries and sign some attackers just to give some actual depth for the season and revisit Antony and Sesko next summer, that would do for me. But it's a desperate situation where even a 1 year loan deal for Asensio would be a positive.
See this is my problem. We have so much youth and potential, but we need ability now if we are even going to talk about top 4. Elanaga looked a kid out their today among men. Only reason I would noticed him was he was getting fouled.