Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney | Wrexham AFC Watch

lolok

Quote by Wrexham manager Parkinson:

“It was a clumsy, reckless challenge in a preseason game and I’m not happy with it at all,” Parkinson said. “I haven’t seen the goalie and he’s probably best steering clear of us for the time being because we’re not very happy.”

What seems reckless to me is his statement.
Based on many of the tweets etc from Wrexham "fans" on here the celebrity chasing has already gotten to their heads, last thing we need is a manager issuing threats like that.
First half was correct-- it was a clumsy challenge. It happens-- he thought he could get there- and he was late. That said-- I watched the replay a few times and sure, he gets a shoulder into Mullins side-- but I'm in shock that hit actually caused a punctured lung. What a fluke injury. I'll take about 25 elbows to the ribs every time I play basketball-- from dudes bigger and stronger than Bishop.

Don't appreciate Parkinson saying he best steer clear of us. Bishop is a young, inexperienced player and accidents happen. Clearly there was no intent as if anyone is likely to get hurt in a collision between those 2, I would have put my money on Bishop being the one who got hurt.

bosskeano

it was reckless, stupid and done in a friendly....no honest need for that kind of challenge

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Be a right shame if we drew them in the league cup and slapped them for 6.

Red Royal

Unlucky injury and wish the striker a quick recovery.
However the media coverage & especially Wrexgam response has been over the top. Makes it sound like a Schumacer 1982 challenge where it was far from it.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
We need to look past the emotion.
Mullin is their best player and the main reason they got promoted.
I'm sure we hope he heals up fast.
How would we feel if Rashford got injured in a similar way?

Having said that, it was an unfortunate accident.
The bigger picture is there is a huge gap between our first three keepers and the ones we saw against Wrexham.
Also I think Evans will not play for us after the friendlies. Good luck to him.

I would ignore all the doom and gloom about our youngsters.
Horrible performance by the ref throughout the match.
Hannibal was hacked throughout the match. Yet Gore gets sent off for at worst a yellow offence.

There are some very good players coming through.
I hope Hannibal and Fernandez are in the first team squad.
Erik wants to win every trophy and they will be needed.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I would definitely be saying "That Wrexham cnut who smashed into Rashford needs banned." And various other things. I don't think I would go as far as saying things like "he better steer clear of me and my mates" but then again I'm not a 55 year old football manager.

MrQuentin

Quote by Wrexham manager Parkinson:

“It was a clumsy, reckless challenge in a preseason game and I’m not happy with it at all,” Parkinson said. “I haven’t seen the goalie and he’s probably best steering clear of us for the time being because we’re not very happy.”

What seems reckless to me is his statement.
Based on many of the tweets etc from Wrexham "fans" on here the celebrity chasing has already gotten to their heads, last thing we need is a manager issuing threats like that.
I am clearly in the minority here it seems, but I'm not seeing what's so bad about his statement. Certain Fergie said far worse back in the day on occassion.

He's speaking right after the game, and if you watch the video the second half of this is in direct response to the question "Has the goalie come over to apologise to you yet". I'd imagine our coaches gave Bishop the exact same advice tbf - stay away, let things cool down etc.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
They're still going on the Wrexham subreddit. Calling for the FA to step in and ban Bishop, United to punish him internally, etc. Even a thread about suing United.

I've been browsing it occasionally since the documentary aired, and it's just full of daft Americans who've never actually watched the sport before. A lot genuinely believe that Mullin could cut it in the Premier League (which many of them insist on calling the "Premiere" League), they think Wrexham are already at least Championship level because they did alright in the FA Cup, and they're constantly arguing with local fans about foreign (read American) supporters being guaranteed at least some tickets for every match.

The best posts are the ones from Americans asking what there is to do in Wrexham and the only actual good answers being "go to Chester".

Last edited:

buckooo1978

Just saw the challenge.....

was expecting Harald Schumacher (for those old enough) based on the furore

Bishop just half a second late when going for a header. Unlucky that Mullan got injured. Hopefully a quick recovery.

nothing to see here

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
They're still going on the Wrexham subreddit. Calling for the FA to step in and ban Bishop, United to punish him internally, etc. Even a thread about suing United.

I've been browsing it occasionally since the documentary aired, and it's just full of daft Americans who've never actually watched the sport before. A lot genuinely believe that Mullin could cut it in the Premier League (which many of them insist on calling the "Premiere" League), they think Wrexham are already at least Championship level because they did alright in the FA Cup, and they're constantly arguing with local fans about foreign (read American) supporters being guaranteed at least some tickets for every match.

The best posts are the ones from Americans asking what there is to do in Wrexham and the only actual good answers being "go to Chester".
The tickets for Americans only is a bit of a genius move to be fair. Great for the local economy. Imagine you run a charity shop and, to the sound of a thousand beach balls filled with concrete, comes Morbidly Obese Hank (your average American) hooting and hollering with his wife Morbidly Obese Pam, their son Fat Eddie and baby Waffle Fries Chick-fil-A. You can sell them used toilet paper for £50 a sheet and tell them it's pages from the "Magma Carter". And they'll buy it all because they're rich American tourists. Think of the possibilities!

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas

Holy shit you weren't kidding what a cesspool that sub is. Acting like they didn't beat a team of academy lads who never formed a team together or not understanding that those same lads had something to prove more than the senior players did despite it being a friendly is just daft. And that's but the tip of it.

mu4c_20le

They've been watching too much Ted Lasso :lol: :lol:

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
We need to look past the emotion.
Mullin is their best player and the main reason they got promoted.
I'm sure we hope he heals up fast.

Having said that, it was an unfortunate accident.
The bigger picture is there is a huge gap between our first three keepers and the ones we saw against Wrexham.
Also I think Evans will not play for us after the friendlies. Good luck to him.

I would ignore all the doom and gloom about our youngsters.
Horrible performance by the ref throughout the match.
Hannibal was hacked throughout the match. Yet Gore gets sent off for at worst a yellow offence.

There are some very good players coming through.
I hope Hannibal and Fernandez are in the first team squad.
Erik wants to win every trophy and they will be needed.
Parklife!

Halftrack

Yeah, it's plainly obvious many of them haven't been watching football for very long. You'd think it was comparable to Schumacher on Battiston or Thatcher on Mendes going by how they've reacted, rather than a collision of a kind that happens fairly often.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Yeah, it's plainly obvious many of them haven't been watching football for very long. You'd think it was comparable to Schumacher on Battiston or Thatcher on Mendes going by how they've reacted, rather than a collision of a kind that happens fairly often.
Honestly, when I heard about it I was expecting to see a video of Bishop hitting him with a running dropkick, not slightly mistiming a header and colliding awkwardly.

It's the sort of challenge that isn't even a red card if a defender is back covering, it just had a horrible outcome for Mullin.

cafecillos

The tickets for Americans only is a bit of a genius move to be fair. Great for the local economy. Imagine you run a charity shop and, to the sound of a thousand beach balls filled with concrete, comes Morbidly Obese Hank (your average American) hooting and hollering with his wife Morbidly Obese Pam, their son Fat Eddie and baby Waffle Fries Chick-fil-A. You can sell them used toilet paper for £50 a sheet and tell them it's pages from the "Magma Carter". And they'll buy it all because they're rich American tourists. Think of the possibilities!
:lol:

bosskeano

looks like Ryan has stepped in to make things a bit more calm for Bishop and squash some of the crap that he's received b/c of the challenge...

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Some of the media are beginning to have the claws out for Wrexham recently.
BBC running an article on their use of planes to get to matches for example.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
You would think the Americans would be used to seeing sporting injuries, but this one innocuous challenge has come as a massive shock to the whole club.

caid

Mac coming in hot...

I'm kind of ok with that.
I guess i'd prefer if it was a bit less directed than 'keeper' but ... yeah i dunno. I guess when you seriously injure an opponent some criticism is inevitable. Or at least comments are inevitable and theres not much to complain about there.
Its a pretty shit situation for them obviously with how strong he is for them relative to the other players. He seems to be a level past their best player and is a talisman of sorts.
It doesn't help much from our or our players point of view but i guess i wouldn't expect it so much from him.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
You would think the Americans would be used to seeing sporting injuries, but this one innocuous challenge has come as a massive shock to the whole club.
What Americans are shocked? Rob posted a bit of banter. The only shocking statement has come from the coach who is not American. Perhaps Ryan or Rob have made a statement I am unaware of?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
What Americans are shocked? Rob posted a bit of banter. The only shocking statement has come from the coach who is not American. Perhaps Ryan or Rob have made a statement I am unaware of?
Go on the Wrexham AFC subreddit. It's full of Americans absolutely apoplectic about it.

Had a thread suggesting Wrexham could seek to sue United, many a suggestion that Bishop did it deliberately, people calling for the FA to step in and hand Bishop a ban, or for United to hand him a massive fine as an internal punishment.

caid

Banter is a good description. Ideally you'd hope and expect the people associated with the clubs to be a bit more level headed and take some of the sting out of the situation but they're not most chairmen and thats part of their selling point.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Manager statement was daft and Rob would have heard it and should have judged it as such. Continuing on the “banter” after such a crass and, almost threatening, statement from the manager is stupid.

Injuries happen in football and they need to move on. The manager should have been told to be more professional.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Go on the Wrexham AFC subreddit. It's full of Americans absolutely apoplectic about it.

Had a thread suggesting Wrexham could seek to sue United, many a suggestion that Bishop did it deliberately, people calling for the FA to step in and hand Bishop a ban, or for United to hand him a massive fine as an internal punishment.
Trust me, I can go to Twitter and find plenty of people from all countries making apoplectic statements about any foul committed that results in an injury. Reddit is about that level of discourse from what I have observed. I don’t really take any of that to heart. I thought it might refer to people actually associated with the club. They should be at a different standard.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Manager statement was daft and Rob would have heard it and should have judged it as such. Continuing on the “banter” after such a crass and, almost threatening, statement from the manager is stupid.

Injuries happen in football and they need to move on. The manager should have been told to be more professional.
To be fair it only happened three days ago. I think they're well within their rights to make references to the incident. It's also worth pointing out that he only mentions the rib injury - if he was really wanting to be a dick he would say something about pierced lungs.

Let's not forget that months on there's still a lot of people here who want Andy Carroll marched through the streets naked and pelted with rotten fruit. One of our players fecked up and injured one of theirs, and we should accept that.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Ryan Reynolds Contacts Bishop After Mullin Injury

The Wrexham manager, Phil Parkinson, said he was “fuming” at Bishop for the challenge, but the goalkeeper was distraught about causing the injury and contacted Mullin. Reynolds, who was not at the game, has thanked Bishop for doing so and offered his best wishes to the academy player. It is understood that there is no issue between Bishop and Mullin.
Obviously someone's gone to the trouble of letting the press know about this nice gesture, but it's still a nice gesture. Well done Wryan Wreynolds. I really like these blokes.