Ryan Tunnicliffe

prateik

Tunnicliffe pushing on
Ryan Tunnicliffe is determined to push on and continue his progress at United after making his senior bow on the DHL tour.

The 20-year-old is the only member of the FA Youth Cup-winning central midfield trio forcing his way into Sir Alex Ferguson's plans with Ravel Morrison and Paul Pogba having left the club, and he feels there is the opportunity to achieve his childhood dream and become a first-team regular in the future.

After opening the scoring in the Manchester United XI's 6-2 win at Market Drayton on Wednesday, the tenacious midfielder will be aiming to keep himself in Sir Alex's thoughts as the season progresses and aim for making a competitive debut at some stage.

When asked by Inside United if he felt any additional pressure flying the flag for the 2011 Youth Cup triumvirate, he replied: "On the other hand, they were good players playing in my position so one of us might have made it and another one might have not.

"So with them gone, it does open it up for me in a way but, obviously, I was close to them. We were midfield partners and good friends. I was sad to see Paul go and I do think he was a great player and could have made it here as well. But another door opens and it goes both ways."

With the likes of Ji-sung Park and Darron Gibson also departing this year, it was suggested to Tunnicliffe that the path to a midfield place may start becoming clearer from his perspective.

"There are not as many people," he admitted. "But we've still got Larnell [Cole] and Jesse [Lingard], who are doing very well as well, and people who are younger than me and have got me looking over my shoulder as well as looking forward.

"There is a gap but I think there are still plenty of good players in the squad that I've got to get past to even get a few games this year."
I'd love to see him make it here..
Whats most likely this season.. stay for now and loan maybe in Jan depending on how things go? Or a loan to a good side?
Looks like we might keep him for now.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
He's got that much discussed bite which we lack in midfield, but I'm not sure if he's good enough at the moment, or will ever be.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
He's got that much discussed bite which we lack in midfield, but I'm not sure if he's good enough at the moment, or will ever be.
I don't really think that you need 'bite' in the modern game. I am not of fan of Tunnicliffe or Brady as the future of Manchester United. Carrick is an excellent defensive midfielder using only intelligence. Tunnicliffle in particular is a liability with some of his tackles.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Agree with JHC. I don't see him ever making it at United.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He's quality when he's on form. He has a good chance, think he will figure at points this season.

prateik

He might not make it, but I think he has a better chance than some here think.
I think he is pretty good. Needs to improve further.. A good year out on loan could do him a world of good.

marjen

He's got a different skillset than most of our other midfielders, and I don't think he's a liability. He's got a lot of drive about him as well, and looks to have a good head on his shoulders.

My concerns are that he's simply not got the ability to play in CM for us. We'll see, I like the guy, but I'm not sure about him.

A player like Petrucci looks much more like a possibility to break through for me.

prateik

I went back a couple of pages.. didnt find it..

He's got a different skillset than most of our other midfielders, and I don't think he's a liability. He's got a lot of drive about him as well, and looks to have a good head on his shoulders.

My concerns are that he's simply not got the ability to play in CM for us. We'll see, I like the guy, but I'm not sure about him.

A player like Petrucci looks much more like a possibility to break through for me.
I dont think he is ready yet.. he has a lot to learn. But I am hopeful.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
Until I see Tunnicliffe really dominating the MF against teams in the Carling Cup, I'm reserved for judgement.

The tour hasn't provided much emphasis of how he plays because he's been pushed to the wings sometimes etc... But you can only see that he has a good engine, likes to get stuck in... But again he is very raw like Brady on LB, they lack experience and I doubt we can really offer him games in the PL in a DM ( Carrick's substitute ).

I'd settle for a loan so he can gain more experience.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
I would be delighted if he could become our new Nicky Butt. Similar players imo.

Some might think thats a bit unfair to Ryan but I thought Nicky was quality when he first broke through and he played a big part in our success in the 90s.

RedRover

I don't really think that you need 'bite' in the modern game. I am not of fan of Tunnicliffe or Brady as the future of Manchester United. Carrick is an excellent defensive midfielder using only intelligence. Tunnicliffle in particular is a liability with some of his tackles.
Is he? Seems a lot of people on here wouldn't agree with that.

While Carrick is a fine player, specifically in terms of rage of passing etc, on occaision last year, when we come up against quicker, more physically robust players, we looked like getting overran in midfield against poorer sides. To me he is, again at times, a square peg in a round hole and only in there because we have nobody else.

In some games you need a player in midfield capable of putting a foot in and being first to the ball. That doesn't neccessarily mean charging around like a bull in a china shop, but a player decent in the tackle and with a bit of steel, in the right circumstances gives a balance to midfield and gives a solid foothole in the game, allowing the more creative players the freedom to get forward. Indeed, the vast majority of top sides have such a player.

Never seen this kid play, but hopefully he can do that job.

marjen

I would be delighted if he could become our new Nicky Butt. Similar players imo.

Some might think thats a bit unfair to Ryan but I thought Nicky was quality when he first broke through and he played a big part in our success in the 90s.
If he becomes as good as Nicky Butt was, I'd be absolutely over the moon.

Butt was challenging Scholes and Keane for a place in midfield. He was a very, very good footballer.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Is he? Seems a lot of people on here wouldn't agree with that.

While Carrick is a fine player, specifically in terms of rage of passing etc, on occaision last year, when we come up against quicker, more physically robust players, we looked like getting overran in midfield against poorer sides. To me he is, again at times, a square peg in a round hole and only in there because we have nobody else.
I take a different view to yourself as I felt that we got over run because of the formation. There are very few midfielder's in world football that are capable of bossing a two man midfield in a 4-4-2 anymore, especially against three man possession based midfield formations.

If you have never seen Tunnicliffe play go and get yourself Lee Catermole's greatest hits and you will be very close.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
I have a feeling that he will become a fringe PL player for a bottom club or a star in Championship like Robbie Savage/David Jones. I agree with marjen he simply doesn't have enough ability to make a impact for United or any other decent PL club.

wr8_utd

:'(
He looked very good in some of the games he played on the tour so hopefully he gets all the Carling Cup games atleast.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Amazing that he is being written off as such, his ability isn't as bad as being made out in here and what he lacks in ability he more than makes up for in enthusiasm and drive. Say what you want about that counting for nothing, but many players have admitted that they may not have had the most ability but determination and attitude carried them far.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
Amazing that he is being written off as such, his ability isn't as bad as being made out in here and what he lacks in ability he more than makes up for in enthusiasm and drive. Say what you want about that counting for nothing, but many players have admitted that they may not have had the most ability but determination and attitude carried them far.
This. The lad hasn't even had a chance to fully showcase what he is capable of and already people are writing him off. It is unfair to judge fringe players on the basis of a handful of performances in patched up teams. I sincerely hope one of our former academy players gets a decent run in the first team this season like Welbeck did last season. For a lad to come through the United system, he has to tick quite a few handful boxes which stands them in good stead. I would love to see him alongside Carrick and Kagawa in midfield to see how well he copes

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That's a fair point.

I always think back to the dad of a friend of mine who played with Steve Staunton at Dundalk. He said Staunton was one of the least talented players on the team but worked his bollocks off, far more dedicated than anyone else. Which eventually paid off. There's a lot to be said for graft and desire in football.

marjen

Obviously you never know with youth players. Even Tom Cleverley wouldn't have been in with much of a chance with most people at 20 years of age.

No one is writing Tunnicliffe off though, just commentating that their opinion is that he just falls a bit short quality wise to break through into one of the best club sides in the world.

If we're not allowed to have opinions, then there's no point having a forum. And I for one would be absolutely delighted if Tunnicliffe proves me wrong and breaks through, I just don't see it at the moment. I'm no scout nor coach, I'm not an expert in judging young players, just my humble opinion.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Nicky Butt could be an example, maybe slightly harsh one.

Member 39557

You can teach skill, but you can't teach determination and desire.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
The fa youth cup winning team/other young players have been a bit of a disspointment with Pogba,Fryers and Morrison leaving. Lets hope when can still get a few players from the rest.

As for Tunnicliffe he still has a chance. He is only 20 next December and while a PL loan would be ideal another season in the Championship wouldnt be a disaster.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Agreed. I hoped to hell he hadn't "found his level" at Peterborough because he looked pretty bloody good. Naturally sound in all parts of midfield and technically a natural fit for deeper ball winning and when he played with emphasis in attack.

Weird. I see this lad as raw but also a natural physical player for deeper in midfield and I think he could really do a job given the right coaching and role (maybe by Fletch) I'd stick him in there and give him a chance to develop. I think he might surprise some in this thread.

jb8521

I dont understand this thinking sure he goes in hard and slides in a lot but he's actually a very clean tackler. As far as I can remember he's only ever been sent off once for United and that was for arguing with a ref in America. He's not actually booked that often either which for a player who puts in as many tackles as he does shows he's not a liability in any terms. In 30 games for Peterboro last season he only committed 10 fouls and was only booked once. It seems both his and Bradys bad tackles in the reserves game against City at the end of the season seems to be clouding a few peoples judgement. While I agree that he might not have enough technical ability to make it at United I dont think you can really question his tackling.

fergieisold

Just popped in for a quick look at this thread to see what people had been saying after pre season. It seems I've formed a different opinion of him than most! Looks like a real talent to me, he's a monster at breaking down attacks and he's intelligent on the ball. Promising player IMO.

Striker10

He's a gem. Fearless in the tackle. Not someone everyone will appreciate because his name ain't Fernando. He has the right attitude, work ethic and I think it's only a matter of time.

Crustanoid

No reason why he can't break through this time - SAF hasn't bought a midfielder so there is a space given the extenuating circumstances surrounding most of the other CMs bar Carrick

Decotron

He's a gem. Fearless in the tackle. Not someone everyone will appreciate because his name ain't Fernando. He has the right attitude, work ethic and I think it's only a matter of time.
Without sounding too negative to call him a gem is crazy. I love his desire and drive but hes a farily good bit short in terms of quality. As he gets older this will only become more apparent. Gota love his tackling though. The fooking noise of it! :devil:

Comsmit

He's alright, a decent prospect. I'm all for advocating youth but they have to be able to significantly enhance the squad. He just doesn't excite me at all and it's not because his name isn't "Fernando," it's because he doesn't possess any special qualities. Yes he can pass and receive a ball to a decent standard, but that is a basic requirement from a Manchester United player. Being fearless in the tackle is something that could be considered a positive in some quarters...and also a negative. It is not something I immediately look for in a young midfielder put it that way.

I don't want to denigrate him because he's a young player who obviously has ambition and the determination to serve it. Petrucci does look a far more accomplished player to me.

Striker10

Without sounding too negative to call him a gem is crazy. I love his desire and drive but hes a farily good bit short in terms of quality. As he gets older this will only become more apparent. Gota love his tackling though. The fooking noise of it! :devil:
Not at all. He offers something we're lacking, though there is an academy lad pearson or something - which similar drive. I think people underestimate these types of players. It's easy to call someone that tackles ordinary. He can get up and down the pitch. He can break up play. He can drive forward with the ball. He can in time, hopefully encourage others. He's not a big time charlie.

He's still young and could quite easily fit in. We're talking about a lad who would probably stay loyal to the club, is a fan after all. In our first team, we don't have that type of player in midfield.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

He's alright, a decent prospect. I'm all for advocating youth but they have to be able to significantly enhance the squad. He just doesn't excite me at all and it's not because his name isn't "Fernando," it's because he doesn't possess any special qualities. Yes he can pass and receive a ball to a decent standard, but that is a basic requirement from a Manchester United player. Being fearless in the tackle is something that could be considered a positive in some quarters...and also a negative. It is not something I immediately look for in a young midfielder put it that way.

I don't want to denigrate him because he's a young player who obviously has ambition and the determination to serve it. Petrucci does look a far more accomplished player to me.
Totally agree

For me he will probably be a Premier League player but I don't think that he has the skill set required to start for Manchester United on a regular basis. He is pretty much a Lee Catermole clone, not the type of player that is necessary at the elite level.

Striker10

Yeah well Madrid thought that about claude makelele and they probably ended up regretting it. Not that they're similar. Just that they offer something different.

Striker10

You don't need a star in every position. If the idea is we promote and he is who we look to in regards to inspiration going forward, that won't happen. He's not that type of player currently but he has it in him to drive teams. We have plenty of talent going forward, though he can grab a goal or two. He's a strong tackler, he's good on the ball and passes it well.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I think his ability is fine, it's his consistency that's lets him down at times. His passing game is generally solid and smart, littered with the odd amazing moment as well as sub-par ones. If he can weed out the latter and keep improving his strong points, he's got a chance. He's 19 for crying out loud, his style of play would bring something to our midfield which we haven't had since Keano left and he has steadily improved and taken to higher levels of footie like a duck to water for years now. What's not to like?