Ryan Tunnicliffe

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
If people are comparing him to Lee Cattermole, then it's obvious they haven't seen Tunners play at all. Just because he's tough tackling, doesn't mean he's Lee Cattermole.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
Am I the only one that would want him to get atleast a substitute appearance in a PL game or two this year?

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
If people are comparing him to Lee Cattermole, then it's obvious they haven't seen Tunners play at all. Just because he's tough tackling, doesn't mean he's Lee Cattermole.
Yes it does.

Don't forget he is quite short and white with a shaved head.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Yep, what an odd comparison.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I like the look of Tunnicliffe. He's come on a lot in the last few years and I think he could be quite a player for us. There's a lot of criticism about Fergie's refusal to address the "problems" of our midfield but maybe the player he wants isn't out there? Maybe what we see with players like Cleverley coming through is that Fergie has decided to rely on our youth system to develop midfielders with the right mix of skills necessary to play in his XI and Tunnicliffe will be next on the conveyor belt. Reminds me quite a bit of Fletch actually.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
I like the look of Tunnicliffe. He's come on a lot in the last few years and I think he could be quite a player for us. There's a lot of criticism about Fergie's refusal to address the "problems" of our midfield but maybe the player he wants isn't out there? Maybe what we see with players like Cleverley coming through is that Fergie has decided to rely on our youth system to develop midfielders with the right mix of skills necessary to play in his XI and Tunnicliffe will be next on the conveyor belt. Reminds me quite a bit of Fletch actually.
Well it sure seems that way doesn't it, and to be fair we do have Tunicliffe, and most importantly for me Petrucci coming through our ranks. The problem is though, how much longer do we need to wait until they're given a run in the team and claim a spot in the team?
We may have enough bodies in midfield, but we're obviously lacking in quality whether we want to admit it or not. I think both of them could do a job, but I can't see them getting much game time apart from a COC appearance here and there. (I know)
I mean last year there were lots of situations in which Fergie could've entrusted the midfield to Pogba for example, who was touted even higher than the 2 mentioned above, yet Fergie chose to play the likes of Giggs, Jones, Rafael and Park there instead.

In my honest opinion he should either buy a goddamn midfielder or give atleast one of either Petrucci/Tunicliffe a run in the 1st team.
Petrucci's got more than enough talent to make it, and while Tunicliffe isn't as flashy or anything, he might be someone we need, at the very least we're missing the type of player he's supposed to be. How good he'll turn out to be remains to be seen, but there's no denying that we need a player like him to cover for Carrick if we're not buying a proven midfielder that should warrant a starting spot.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
Petrucci and Tunnicliffe aren't going to get a run in the 1st team because they're simply nowhere near as good as what we have in there right now.

If we get a few injuries then sure, but at this moment they're not ready. Particularly Tunnicliffe.

lysglimt

Scout
would i be wrong in saying Paul Scholes tackles a lot worse than Lee Cattermole?
You wouldnt be wrong if you said Paul Scholes tackles worse than most players in the P.L. The only reason he survived as a central midfielder when being asked to do defensive work was because he could read the game like very few else could. So luckily he didn't have to tackle that much.

It's like Norway's former central defender Rune Bratseth (who won several titles in Germany with Werder Bremen) -he claimed that having to do a sliding tackle was an indication that you had positioned youself too poorly from the start.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Tunnicliffe doesn't give away fouls anywhere near as much as Cattermole, at the levels he has played at so far anyway. Not only is he a better tackler but he is better technically and shows better awareness and creativity with his passing than Cattermole. Lazy comparison in my opinion just because they're both tenacious midfielders.

The problem with Ryan though is that since he went on loan to Peterborough last year he hasn't come on as people expected he would. His aggressive, determined attitude and work rate mixed in with his good technical ability should mean he dominates games from start to finish at reserve level, like he did for the youth teams. However he seems to drift in and out of games too often. Maybe he lacks the concentration levels required but if he could improve this and impose himself on games more he will have a better chance of becoming a good player for us.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Petrucci and Tunnicliffe aren't going to get a run in the 1st team because they're simply nowhere near as good as what we have in there right now.

If we get a few injuries then sure, but at this moment they're not ready. Particularly Tunnicliffe.
yes but not just that. The players playing now have values attached to them. The logical thing for a manager is to not give yourself too many problems and so our kids have to be more patient then most clubs kids.

There's a lot of luck involved. Just imagine you were a midfielder trying to break into the giggs keane scholes beckham midfield. It would be nearly impossible. Where I would disagree with you, is not being good enough right now. Personally I think tunnicliffe is closer to the first team but we're dealing with unknown variables. Sir Alex will play him/them when they're ready. Hopefully this season. You go back to Cleverly, it's all about winning peoples trust and you can do that fairly quickly.

I don't think i'm wrong in saying, Cleverly would never have made it as a winger here. I'm not convinced really a full back either. However he slotted in the middle and no one cares anymore because they trust him based on his performances.

Jiggs'Hamstring

I don't think so.

I remember once a couple of years ago SAF went to watch Milan play Bayern in a CL semifinal.

He ended up praising Maldini (who played central defence in that game) this way: 'He didn't have to make a single tackle'.

That is the hallmark of a great defender.
Yes, but at the same time there are reasons for making sliding tackles other than your own poor positioning. Other players' mistakes, for example. Maldini made plenty of last ditch tackles in his career.

yes but not just that. The players playing now have values attached to them. The logical thing for a manager is to not give yourself too many problems and so our kids have to be more patient then most clubs kids.

There's a lot of luck involved. Just imagine you were a midfielder trying to break into the giggs keane scholes beckham midfield. It would be nearly impossible. Where I would disagree with you, is not being good enough right now. Personally I think tunnicliffe is closer to the first team but we're dealing with unknown variables. Sir Alex will play him/them when they're ready. Hopefully this season. You go back to Cleverly, it's all about winning peoples trust and you can do that fairly quickly.

I don't think i'm wrong in saying, Cleverly would never have made it as a winger here. I'm not convinced really a full back either. However he slotted in the middle and no one cares anymore because they trust him based on his performances.
I think Cleverley is a good case to point to when it comes to Ryan. If we look at the way Tom made it into the first team set up it was definitely by the scenic route: part timer, 3 loan spells only the last in the top division. Making it at Man Utd takes patience as well as talent. Like you say young players have to earn their spot, they gotta earn the trust, which is something Pogba for example never got. Tunnicliffe maybe isn't the finished article yet but little by little he's getting the experience and showing the steady progression you would expect of someone with first team.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Just don't think he's good enough to make it here, I hope he does but I just don't think he has the technical ability. Fletcher was miles ahead at the same age, despite having had 3 years of injury problems.

Just don't think he's good enough to make it here, I hope he does but I just don't think he has the technical ability. Fletcher was miles ahead at the same age, despite having had 3 years of injury problems.
I reckon he's got more technical ability than you are giving him credit for. You'd be right in saying its not his strength but he makes up for it in energy (which is not a code word for saying he runs around a lot). He is learning and his awareness of where he needs to is quite good. Not Fletch or Carrick good but he's not a headless chicken charging about the place like an idiot. If he's putting himself about it's normally in the right places: he understands where and how to deploy his aggression and many a player e.g. Lass Diarra have made solid careers out of that. If you are asking me do I think he's gonna be the next Fernando Redondo then clearly I'd say no but could he be the next Nicky Butt? Yeah. And Nicky Butt was a damn good player who suffered from having played for Utd at the same time as Keano and Scholesy in front of him during his best days. Butt would have walked into most Premier League sides.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
So when we see a tackle we should say "What crap positioning by our player, getting the ball off the defender is no consolation"?

I agree there's much to be said for staying on your feet, but there are certainly balls that players can only get to by tackling and I don't see what's wrong with that.

Comsmit

So when we see a tackle we should say "What crap positioning by our player, getting the ball off the defender is no consolation"?

I agree there's much to be said for staying on your feet, but there are certainly balls that players can only get to by tackling and I don't see what's wrong with that.
There's nothing wrong with tackling...its just not an essential attribute in a young midfielders armoury.

NM

There's nothing wrong with tackling...its just not an essential attribute in a young midfielders armoury.
How so? You can't always intercept - you need to be able to tackle.

Mersault

Do people feel Tunnicliffe and Petrucci are more ready this season than Pogba was last season?

championo

Top Stalker
Do people feel Tunnicliffe and Petrucci are more ready this season than Pogba was last season?
Not going to get attached to any of these youth players until I see them in the first team. So much hours over hours spent making videos of promising talent and then puffff...

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
Not going to get attached to any of these youth players until I see them in the first team. So much hours over hours spent making videos of promising talent and then puffff...
It's only been happening in recent years. Something to do with our wage budget perhaps. I remember lads like Phil Bardsley, Lee Martin, Ryan Shawcross, and Craig Cathcart all left for reasonable fees. They didn't refuse to sign contracts to leave the club.

AKDevil

Anyone got a video of THAT tackle in the Manchester Senior Cup final?
By far the best late tackle I've ever seen!

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
100-1 seems like kinda crap odds, really. Was Ryan an elite youth player at age 9? Otherwise I'd think it's more like 10,000-1. But even then, surely the odds of a top 9 year old playing for United is way less and 100-1.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Or loan them? :lol:

Opens yourself up to all sorts of knife in the back scenario's physically selling players with options to buy back. Ices the room to move for the player themselves. Makes them less likely to sign and the club also.

Forevergiggs

Ryan Tunnicliffe set for loan move from Manchester United

Manchester United are ready to let Ryan Tunnicliffe go out on loan and Sky Sports understands more than half-a-dozen Championship clubs want him.

The 20-year-old is rated very highly within the corridors of power at Old Trafford, which is why Sir Alex Ferguson has resisted the temptation to send him out so far this season.

He spent time with Peterborough United last season, where he impressed, but he was brought back over the summer and has been a constant member of the first-team squad.

However, with chances limited, United are now ready to agree to an 'emergency loan' to a Championship side which will see him gain further first-team experience.

Sources have confirmed to us that Tunnicliffe could be set to leave before this weekend as talks over his destination go on with United.

Blackpool, Blackburn, Burnley, Barnsley, Huddersfield, Charlton and Hull are amongst the clubs keen on taking the England youth international.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...iffe-set-for-loan-move-from-Manchester-United

Should have happened at the beginning of the season but better late than never.

Forevergiggs

Are they in need of a midfielder, Elliot? Of those clubs, where is his best chance to get a lot of minutes?

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Apparently Mark Robins wants more bite in midfield and he's already talked about using his good relationship with Sir to get a player or two on loan, so it would make a lot of sense.

RedRover

A bit of a dissapointment that he's not pushing for a first team place. Seems some rate him highly but at 20 he needs to make the breakthrough soon if he's ever going to.

At least if he's loaned out he's playing, but the Championship is nowhere near the standard of the PL. Shame he couldn't have been loaned to a PL club in January.

prateik

No real rush. The whole of next season on loan would do him good too.

mightberight

A bit of a dissapointment that he's not pushing for a first team place. Seems some rate him highly but at 20 he needs to make the breakthrough soon if he's ever going to.

At least if he's loaned out he's playing, but the Championship is nowhere near the standard of the PL. Shame he couldn't have been loaned to a PL club in January.
Tom Cleverley?