Ryan Tunnicliffe

Cevno

There was plenty of interest for him in January, so it's odd we didn't loan him then. Guess, we kept him for a feck up in our midfield options in terms of injuries which is a bit unfair on him as he has stagnated in the u21 levels.

For the last 2 games Tom Thorpe has outperformed him in midfield. He's already had a championship loan and done decently, so playing time there unless we give him a real stupid loan shouldn't be a problem at most clubs.

Cevno

And speaking of Tom Thorpe he needs a loan too.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Tunnicliffe can stay there as far as I'm concerned personally. Has very little talent to me, and seems to believe he is actually a bigger deal than he is.

Will gladly eat my words if he makes it, but I don't see him making it as a Premier League player, let alone a United one.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Tunnicliffe can stay there as far as I'm concerned personally. Has very little talent to me, and seems to believe he is actually a bigger deal than he is.

Will gladly eat my words if he makes it, but I don't see him making it as a Premier League player, let alone a United one.
What makes you say that? He's never come across as anything but a dead honest, dedicated player well aware of his limitations as far as I know.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Going to Barnsley according to twitter.

Good move and hopefully he can help Barnsley kick City out of FA Cup.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Hope he does well, but he really hasn't progressed as he needed to in the last 2 years or so if he really is to make it as a first teamer here.

I know the Cattermole argument has been done before, but I think Tunni will end up being a poor man's Cattermole at the moment, unless there's a drastic change somewhere along the line.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
Hope he does well, but he really hasn't progressed as he needed to in the last 2 years or so if he really is to make it as a first teamer here.

I know the Cattermole argument has been done before, but I think Tunni will end up being a poor man's Cattermole at the moment, unless there's a drastic change somewhere along the line.
He's a strange one is Tunnicliffe. He started off looking decent, he then seemed to look better technically than I originally gave him credit for but when he returned from his loan he didn't look as great as I was expecting.

I'm expecting Ben Pearson to be better than him, and considering their similar styles I think Pearson will go on to have a better shot. Much the same way as I felt about Welbeck and Campbell when Campbell was going on loan.

RedRover

Tom Cleverley?
I'd say he's an exception. And he was at a PL side and playing regularly.

The vast majority of young players who're out on loan in the Championship never end up making it long term.

Hopefully he impresses and can get a regular PL football next year with someone.

Cevno

Huh ? Welbeck and Evans both went to the championship too.

Not saying he'll make it here, but you can't just write him off because he has gone on loan to the championship.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I'd say he's an exception. And he was at a PL side and playing regularly.

The vast majority of young players who're out on loan in the Championship never end up making it long term.

Hopefully he impresses and can get a regular PL football next year with someone.
Cleverley was in the Championship at Tunners' age. Evans and Welbeck were down there too. These days, a Championship loan is as likely to be a step on the ladder towards the first team as an indication of not quite good enough.

prateik

Booo. They are in a relegation fight with Peterborough.

I like Tunnicliffe.. a lot.
He hasnt kicked on in the last 12 months like I'd have hoped.. but he's still a kid and some first team games would only do him good.

MPTutd

He is great in some much as he puts in 100% every game and his will to win is huge. However, I don't think that is enough to make it at United these days.

SecondFig

A bit of a dissapointment that he's not pushing for a first team place. Seems some rate him highly but at 20 he needs to make the breakthrough soon if he's ever going to.

At least if he's loaned out he's playing, but the Championship is nowhere near the standard of the PL. Shame he couldn't have been loaned to a PL club in January.
That's nonsense. Most of the players who have come through the youth system at Utd, and broken into the first team, have followed a similar path. Loaned out to Championship, come back to train with first team squad, go back on loan to Championship, come back to first team squad - maybe a League Cup appearance or two, go on loan to a Premier League side, then either move on or start playing regularly for Utd - look at Evans, Cleverley, Welbeck - they all followed the same path of progression.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

What makes you say that? He's never come across as anything but a dead honest, dedicated player well aware of his limitations as far as I know.
Is Rozay some sort of ITK?

I don't think Tunnicliffe will make it at United certainly not because he is being loaned out to the championship or that he thinks he is a big deal, rather that he isn't technically good enough for a top club. Think as samabachan has said he will probably become a poor man's Cattermole.

Cevno

Poor man's Lee Cattermole ? Harsh.

Think he'll be a PL player. Probably atleast as good as Cattermole. Might have a chance to be better too.

Making it here seems more doubtful, though he can be used in a Squad backup role like Gibson if he kicks on.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

opinions are like arseholes my frieidn, we all got them but to win leagues you need a mixture and 9/10 he does his job. It's not all about Ronaldos and Messi's. He's a tough tacking midfielder. Maybe you expect too much? He's not that type of player

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

That isn't true in the slightest.

Cold_Boy

Never will make it at United even as a squad player.

IMO Top half of the championship or lower level PL team at max is his level.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
He has excellent tenacity, but he'll need to improve by leaps and bounds to have any hope of being a squad player for us. He can definitely become a premier league player though, imho.

prateik

Next game will be on Setanta.. so there should be streams.
He's going to surprise a lot in this thread.

Ringo 07

Championship Barnsley have won the race to sign Manchester United's Ryan Tunnicliffe on loan, BBC Radio Sheffield reports.

The 20 year old midfielder has made two appearances for the Red Devils this campaign and spent time on loan with Peterborough last season.

Tunnicliffe could make his debut at Bristol City on Saturday.

tribalfootball

So he is off for a relegation scrap with Barnsley. You would think Darren Ferguson must be ok for central midfielders as he obviously would have had first refusal on Tunnicliffe!

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He is great in some much as he puts in 100% every game and his will to win is huge. However, I don't think that is enough to make it at United these days.
Which is why he'll be a PL player. Not talented enough for United but he has excellent work ethic and he'll get a good career out of it.

Minkaro

Shit, he's got to try and beat Rory Delap to a place now. I dunno if his throw-ins are good enough?

Genius Me!

The best thing he'll ever do at Manchester United IMO is winning his dad £10k. I don't see him having a career here but you never know how he will kick on with a decent loan spell. I think championship will be his level, but there's no harm in producing players that go onto championship level.

Okay we want to be producing top level talent, but it doesn't always happen does it and I'd rather see some of our youngsters in the championship than finishing nowhere. But I won't write him off just yet, lets see if he has a better loan with Barnsley than he did last year.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
But I won't write him off just yet, lets see if he has a better loan with Barnsley than he did last year.
I thought his loan at Peterborough was successful? Seem to remember reading positive reports from his performances from their forums.

MPTutd

I thought his loan at Peterborough was successful? Seem to remember reading positive reports from his performances from their forums.
Think it was a little mixed. I think he benefited from an injured to one of the other midfielders (McCann I think) and was out the team once he came back.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
He started a dozen games and was involved in 30 all in all at 18-19, giving some very good performances. His loan was far from a failure.

Genius Me!

He got games, but I think he'd admit it didn't go as well as he would have hoped. Obviously I didn't watch the matches so I don't know how he performed but I think it took injuries for him to get matches.

Genius Me!

Just checked his stats last year which can be seen here http://espnfc.com/player/_/id/156420/ryan-tunnicliffe?cc=5739

Started 12, came on as a sub in 18 with a lot of those coming in on the hour mark or after. From memory I don't remember everyone going on about him having the greatest time in the world out there . Does anyone know why his loan was cut short, did he get injured?

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Just scored on his debut, unfortunately only a consolation goal, as it's now 4-1

prateik

Didnt score according to Livescore.. but at least he went straight into the first team