Saúl Ñíguez \ Joins Chelsea on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUCK4444

Saul would be an upgrade on Fred. It wouldn’t change the dynamic of the midfield though. He’s not defensive midfielder or a deep lying playmaker. He’s just a slightly better Fred.
Could he play with Fred? Two good tacklers who can win the ball with Saul better at passing it forwards?

SATA

Personally prefer Neves or Camavinga so i’m not fussed if he goes to Chelsea, in fact i hope he goes there instead. But there’s no concrete or solid enough links with the first two!

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Don’t get why Chelsea want him.
We are bit lean in that central midfield department especially kante has some injury concerns. One suspension away from looking to play defender there.

Devil may care

He's nothing special but he's more solid than Fred technically and positionally, if it's just a loan then that's even better and better than nothing.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I like the idea of a technically competent player but not sure he’s exactly what we need especially if we’re keeping Pogba.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Yeah I was thinking along the same lines, they don't really need him as far as I can see.

Wherever he goes you would think playing time is high on the agenda for him, to either get a permanent move or put himself in the shop window for a move elsewhere. He would definitely get more game time here, we need midfield quality far more than Chelsea right now, it's the one real weak area of the team.
I guess they could use him in terms of squad depth, but yeah, if you look at it from his perspective and it is between Chelsea and us, he shouldn't think a lot.

Looking at it from our point of view I have reservations as he stagnated in the last year or so, but if it's a loan am all for it. There aren't many options out there (with us probably not loaded with cash), so this could be a shrewd move.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Diario AS doesn’t seem to be a reliable source right? I checked in atletico madrid reddit and the last time they posted Diario AS news was 2 years ago.

I know this might not be a popular opinion but I think Saul and McTominay have some potential to work together as midfield 2 since Saul and Partey worked well when they were in the team. Mctominay has lot of similarity in his style of play with Partey. Not exactly a DM and likes to carry the ball.

Phil

I'd happily take him as a competent CM, but I'm really not fussy at this stage of the window.

Blood Mage

Not the type of player we need. He'd be a small upgrade on McTominay in the box-to-box role but that's it. Fred is more of a DM than him.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
They don't really need a player like him, but he's joining Chelsea.
Oh is he now? You got evidence of an accepted bid or is it the CAF special of once a player is linked with a rival it’s an immediate sale and all hope is lost?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Given we're currently operating with McFred as our first-choice midfield pairing, apparently felt the need to play Matic when one of them was unavailable and have shown no signs of signing the sort of midfielder who would fundamentally transform our midfield in the way people want (if they even exist), I can't imagine how anyone would object to a loan move for Saul.

RUCK4444

I guess they could use him in terms of squad depth, but yeah, if you look at it from his perspective and it is between Chelsea and us, he shouldn't think a lot.

Looking at it from our point of view I have reservations as he stagnated in the last year or so, but if it's a loan am all for it. There aren't many options out there (with us probably not loaded with cash), so this could be a shrewd move.
Yeah agree.

Regarding our use for him, he's not going to transform us but at the same time we are desperately short on quality in midfield. He only needs to put a decent shift and will likely become a mainstay, especially if Pogba remains on the left.

Matic is done, was shocking on the weekend and Fred went to bits without his preferred partner in Scott. It desperately needs another option in there who can provide some quality on the ball. If he can recapture some of his previous form for Atletico it would be a great option for us. But there is no guarantee that will happen.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Given we're currently operating with McFred as our first-choice midfield pairing, apparently felt the need to play Matic when one of them was unavailable and have shown no signs of signing the sort of midfielder who would fundamentally transform our midfield in the way people want (if they even exist), I can't imagine how anyone would object to a loan move for Saul.
I can't see how anyone would object to any sort of midfielder that can be relied to pass the ball 5 yards competently without shitting themselves.

Anything above that is a bonus.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Beggars cannot be choosers. I will take any upgrade on McFred at this point.

Mr Smith

Suspicious that we are being used here, but if it's legit I'm all for it. Strictly speaking he's not exactly what we need, but I don't believe that player is even available in the market, so a loan move to improve on what we already have is the next best thing. Saul may not be what he was but he's a huge upgrade on Fred, so it's a yes from me.

SATA

Is he really an upgrade though? Or just simply a case of anyone new is better than McFred? I’m not always on the side where the grass is greener

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It looks like he's been offered to both Chelsea and United. With the United links stronger in Spain.

Mike Smalling

Anyone with a bit of passing ability and composure in midfield would be welcome, in my opinion. A loan move seems like a smart option. Hope it happens.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Is he really an upgrade though? Or just simply a case of anyone new is better than McFred? I’m not always on the side where the grass is greener
Liverpool have Thiago, Henderson, Fabinho and Keita. Any two of those can play together without it significantly affecting their team.

We saw at Southampton, we saw at various stages last season, our midfield is glacial without McTominay. That is an unacceptable state of affairs. If the chance exists to upgrade midfield we cannot allow it to go begging.

largelyworried

Matic's performance at the weekend might just be rustiness, or it could mean his legs are truly gone. In which case we're going into this season with Fred, McTominay and maybe VDB as our midfield options. Even if Saul doesn't look like he'd solve our DM problem, at least he'll be another option for us to use in midfield.

acnumber9

I’ve no idea if this guy is the answer, but we definitely need a midfielder. Sunday was just glaring evidence of that fact.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I wonder if it would make sense to send Donny the other way on loan?

Not sure how serious our links are with Saul though, and whether or not there is even space in Atletico’s side for Donny.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I know nothing about him, but why are Atletico willing to loan him out if he’s good enough for United and Chelsea?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I wonder if it would make sense to send Donny the other way on loan?

Not sure how serious our links are with Saul though, and whether or not there is even space in Atletico’s side for Donny.
No it wouldn’t

DVB wants to fight for his place at United and so he should, definitely the mindset we want at the club

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I watch very little La Liga so can't comment on whether he's an upgrade, but I think we also need depth as well as options better than we currently have. We seem to only have Fred, McT and Matic for the 2 CM positions, since Pogba is mostly likely going to play further forwards, and I have no idea if VdB is here to be a CM or a #10 at this point, but I'm assuming the latter. 3 CMs for potentially 50+ games isn't going to be enough.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
The reason we’re linked with a midfielder is pretty clear to those of us who watch Chelsea every week though it does seem strange to non Chelsea fans. In simple terms, we would in trouble if Kante picks up serious injury. And over the past 2-3 years he has repeatedly picked up niggling hamstring injuries and has to be managed carefully. Jorginho is extremely slow and unathletic so he is no good against top opposition in a 2.

All that being said, I’m not sure Saul makes sense for us. We need more of a holding mid whereas Saul is much more in the Kovacic, box to box mould.

Zlatattack

We need another CM. Matic didn't play well and idk who Donny has offended, but he's not getting chances.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
It stinks of when we were rumoured to be leading the race for Thiago last year.

Infra-red

Oh is he now? You got evidence of an accepted bid or is it the CAF special of once a player is linked with a rival it’s an immediate sale and all hope is lost?
I don't particularly rate the player and have no issue with him joining Chelsea (he's not better than any of Kante, Jorginho or Kovacic and does not improve their side).

Status
Not open for further replies.