Saúl Ñíguez

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The only way this is possible is if Saul and Atletico have a gentleman's agreement for a negotiated fee. There's no way we would pay £54m for him. Doubt he wants to leave too.

cyberman

This is so ridiculous that it has to be true.
I'm just playing devils advocate here but maybe there was an Atletico / United agreement that they sort a new contract with a new release clause so Barca are reluctant to utilise their first option clause to match the offer?

izec

Maybe he just signed a contract extension to help Atletico get more money, maybe not the release clause, but more than his old one. But i think that he will stay for another year or two, just cemented his place this season.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Not just an agent, Mendes also bought 40% of Saul's rights for just €1.5 million a few years ago. Great investment.
IIRC, United were keeping a close eye on Atlético's Juvenil and Cadete teams when we bought De Gea. David Gill and Martin Ferguson even went down there to monitor them, and we were interested in the quartet of Óliver, Saúl and Manquillo, and Gil. What a bargain that would've been back when they had a cheap release clause - not least for the former duo. :(
But Sir Alex's brother arrived in the Spanish capital the day before and had been to Atletico Madrid's training ground on the Saturday to see a clutch of talented players involved in the club's Juvenil A squad. Torres was one of several Spanish Under-19 players on show with Javier Manquillo, Saul Niguez, David Gil, Borja Galan, Ivan Calero and Dani Marquez also part of the Atletico youth set-up, who drew 2-2 with Rayo.
Lo que sí que hay que reconocerle a Julián Muñoz y a Aguilera es su habilidad para renovarle el año pasado y atarlo varias temporadas (no se si tres o cuatro años más), pues es de todos conocidos que este jugador sigue siendo seguido y pretendido por media Europa. Esta temporada que acaba, sin ir más lejos, ha sido habitual ver a Martin Ferguson en el cerro siguiendo a este jugador.

NoLogo

IIRC, United were keeping a close eye on Atlético's Juvenil and Cadete teams when we bought De Gea. David Gill and Martin Ferguson even went down there to monitor them, and we were interested in the quartet of Óliver, Saúl and Manquillo, and Gil. What a bargain that would've been back when they had a cheap release clause - not least for the former duo. :(
I really don't get why we are so hesitant with signing these players. If they don't have the immediate quality to challenge for a first team spot loan them out for a couple of years but don't wait until they cost a fortune to make a bid for them. I know it's not always easy to spot if a player is genuinely talented or just ahead in his development for his age group but surely we could afford to take a few more punts at players like this?

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I really don't get why we are so hesitant with signing these players. If they don't have the immediate quality to challenge for a first team spot loan them out for a couple of years but don't wait until they cost a fortune to make a bid for them. I know it's not always easy to spot if a player is genuinely talented or just ahead in his development for his age group but surely we could afford to take a few more punts at players like this?
Yep, it is slightly puzzling given the low 'punt' cost with these players - especially since we didn't hesitate to take on the likes of Piqué from Barcelona, and Rossi from Parma back in the day. Didn't pan out as well as one would have hoped, but we didn't make a sustained foray into the Spanish talent pool. And to his credit, Arsène Wenger is always monitoring Spanish academies for cheap talents he can extract - and that has paid good dividends over the years. A handful didn't impress that much - like say Fran Mérida or Ignasi Miquel, but they struck gold in Fàbregas - who was 16 when Arsenal signed him, and now Bellerín - who's probably the best young rightback in Europe. Sergi Samper is also being monitored, and he would probably be another good signing for them. It's a bit of a pity that we didn't take advantage of the great Spanish generation of the 2000s, and apart from De Gea - it seems like the current generation of youngsters will pass us by too, unless we pay huge amounts of money - when only a couple years back, we could've gotten them for peanuts - relative to their talent level.

ti vu

Yep, it is slightly puzzling given the low 'punt' cost with these players - especially since we didn't hesitate to take on the likes of Piqué from Barcelona, and Rossi from Parma back in the day. Didn't pan out as well as one would have hoped, but we didn't make a sustained foray into the Spanish talent pool. And to his credit, Arsène Wenger is always monitoring Spanish academies for cheap talents he can extract - and that has paid good dividends over the years. A handful didn't impress that much - like say Fran Mérida or Ignasi Miquel, but they struck gold in Fàbregas - who was 16 when Arsenal signed him, and now Bellerín - who's probably the best young rightback in Europe. Sergi Samper is also being monitored, and he would probably be another good signing for them. It's a bit of a pity that we didn't take advantage of the great Spanish generation of the 2000s, and apart from De Gea - it seems like the current generation of youngsters will pass us by too, unless we pay huge amounts of money - when only a couple years back, we could've gotten them for peanuts - relative to their talent level.
I posted in the United Revamping Scouting system thread few month back, SAF really neglect scouting in Latin/ Hispanic players. Argument may be we lacks success for these players in the past. That's fair. However, the sample size is very small since we sign very few. Our most successful period with Latin/Hispanic players coincide with Querioz being assistant manager to SAF. Our fortune with these players got worse again when Querioz left. Perhaps, we lack a bridge for culture difference and Querioz was perfect for that role? Hopefully with Mourinho we can fix this a bit. Also think we should seriously look at making DoF role as SAF type of manager is a rare breed nowsaday. It's better for long term.

Saul is very good but I don't think he's a must buy at that release clause figure. Still not convinced at the deep central midfielder position for me. He is employed mostly as right narrow winger for most part. Unless Mourinho is employing his 4-3-1-2, which he used at Inter and Porto, thus Saul has the same role as Maniche, Thiago Motta, I don't see the point. Saul is very much unproven as influential central midfielder in a plain 4-3-3 system as either a Makelele, Lampard, Essien, Alonso, Khedira, Ozil.

Last edited:

Fer

Even he signed a new contract (now he has a high release clause), do you think it's possible to sign him? or there's no chance now. He would suit in a midfield with Schneiderlin and Rooney (I guess he will start).

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Even he signed a new contract (now he has a high release clause), do you think it's possible to sign him? or there's no chance now. He would suit in a midfield with Schneiderlin and Rooney (I guess he will start).
I thought he refuted claims of signing a new deal and was holding out for a better offer from Atletico.

RRCE

I was quite impressed with Saul in the final. He clearly has a great engine. He grew in stature as the game wore on. I thought that he read the game well, worked very hard, and passed efficiently. For his age, and given the occasion, he did a good job. Its not a transfer I can see happening (given the amount his release clause and the fact that he's not expressed any desire to leave), but he'd be a very good replacement for Carrick.

khoazany

I don't see how any Atletico Madrid would want to switch to us at the moment (unless they're not starting games).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't see how any Atletico Madrid would want to switch to us at the moment (unless they're not starting games).
It seems unlikely, but i do think a combination of a massive transfer fee, high wages, playing for Mourinho and United would be a pretty tempting package.

khoazany

It seems unlikely, but i do think a combination of a massive transfer fee, high wages, playing for Mourinho and United would be a pretty tempting package.
That's what we think as United fans, but in reality playing for Simeone and a club who won La Liga 1 time and got into CL finals 2 times in the last 3 years sounds more fascinating.Not much gain from making a switch unless they only care about the financial aspect (in that case I wouldn't want them at United either way).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That's what we think as United fans, but in reality playing for Simeone and a club who won La Liga 1 time and got into CL finals 2 times in the last 3 years sounds more fascinating.Not much gain from making a switch unless they only care about the financial aspect (in that case I wouldn't want them at United either way).
I do think wages are one of the biggest factors. Griezmann is currently on £112k/wk when he could easily make 175-200 a week, which is a massive pay increase. That's not to say he will move, but most players who want to play in England and in the process increase their wages, would at least consider it.

itso 7

I do think wages are one of the biggest factors. Griezmann is currently on £112k/wk when he could easily make 175-200 a week, which is a massive pay increase. That's not to say he will move, but most players who want to play in England and in the process increase their wages, would at least consider it.
This is a crucial point that we overlook at times, yes playing for Simeone and Atletico right now is great but so is playinh for Mourinho/Pep and earning double what you're earning right now plus more in terms of endorsements and the like. Some will fall for it some won't, like Reuss didn't, but we can't dismiss the possibilty out of hand but just saying he is playing for better team. Real Madrid, for example, were able to prise Ronaldo from us when we were miles ahead of them and could afford to match whatever offer they made him. Players are unique and what drives them is just as unique.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
This is a crucial point that we overlook at times, yes playing for Simeone and Atletico right now is great but so is playinh for Mourinho/Pep and earning double what you're earning right now plus more in terms of endorsements and the like. Some will fall for it some won't, like Reuss didn't, but we can't dismiss the possibilty out of hand but just saying he is playing for better team. Real Madrid, for example, were able to prise Ronaldo from us when we were miles ahead of them and could afford to match whatever offer they made him. Players are unique and what drives them is just as unique.
But somehow currently this doesn't seem to apply to Atletico youth players. Us , Barca and Chelsea have been wanting Koke for 3 years now and he is still there. Even Simeone is still there despite several top clubs offering twice as much salary.
I even read that when Simeone extended last year they agreed that either party can decide to cancel the contract before it ends without any compensation (not sure if this is confirmed but wouldn't surprise me).

I really think currently nothing can make Koke or Saul leave Atletico, not even United with Mourinho or Guardiola. Maybe if we offer ridiculous money like 400 k £ / week which even we are thankfully not going to do.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He won't get a lot more at Atlético because of their self-inflicted wage cap.

murphs_law

SAUL INTENDS TO STAY PUT

Atletico Madrid sensation Saul Niguez has no intention of leaving the club, despite the growing uncertainty surrounding manager Diego Simeone’s future.

The 21-year-old enjoyed a stunning season at the Vicente Calderon, notably steering Los Colchoneros to the Champions League final.

He has since been linked with a move to Paris Saint-Germain, while Manchester United have been reported suitors for some time.

He was called into Spain’s preliminary squad for Euro 2016 but was omitted from Vicente Del Bosque’s final 23, and, speaking to AS, Niguez revealed he is set to remain in the Spanish capital before fighting for a place in future national team squads.

"I'm fine in Madrid, I play often and I'm happy,” he said. “Atletico is the club where I intend to stay.

"I would have liked to have been called up by Del Bosque but for me it was already an award to be in the preliminary squad.

“Now I have to work hard with Atletico because sooner or later my chance will come."

SSNHQ

NJM78

This signing isn't happening in my opinion, I can see him playing for Barca or Real within a few years though.

Fer

When he had the 20m release clause, it was the best opportunity to sign him. If he fulfill his potential, I can see him going to Barca in a couple of years. We need a player like him in our midfield. Unfortunately, there are not too many realistic options.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
We can still buy this guy:

Not much of a box-to-box in the Saúl mold, but he'd be great as a midfielder who has the versatility to play as a #10, or a #8 (like Fabregas for Chelsea, or Pjanić - who we were reportedly looking at). Doesn't seem to be a great fit for Simeone's tactics currently, so we may be able to snatch him by activating his clause. Him + Gomes backed by a good defensive foil just ahead of the back 4 would be ultra-sexy. Not just qualitatively, but in that Gomes can also play as a #10, or a #8; and they're both good dribblers from the deep. So the 4-2-3-1 could easily become a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 in matches where we need midfield domination. :drool: