SAF this season

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
He gambled unnecessarily. That team selection looked wrong from the start, that's not hindsight.

Park - not played in months, poor form, possession killer
Giggs - poor form, doesn't have the legs, loses possession way too often

And most importantly - those two paired with:

Scholes - doesn't have the legs to chase opponents, struggles off the ball defensively.
Carrick - not the most mobile midfielder out there, can't operate well enough when pressured

When you've got this, you're setting yourself up for a long night and bar the first 10min when everyone was fresh enough to run around a bit, we were pushed back into our own box. The goal was coming from miles away, everyone could see that.

And one last thing wrong with the tactics - we simply don't have the defence we did three-four years ago when we could've gotten away playing weak midfield and sitting back. - no Vidic, no real Evra, no right back, no VDS.

We weren't a corner mistake away from the title, we lost it at Wigan and vs Everton. Ignored the ominous signs from the WBA, Fulham and QPR games, continued to rely on our back four to see games out and that bollocks finally caught up with us.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He gambled unnecessarily. That team selection looked wrong from the start, that's not hindsight.

Scholes - doesn't have the legs to chase opponents, struggles off the ball defensively.
Carrick - not the most mobile midfielder out there, can't operate well enough when pressured

When you've got this, you're setting yourself up for a long night and bar the first 10min when everyone was fresh enough to run around a bit, we were pushed back into our own box. The goal was coming from miles away, everyone could see that.

And one last thing wrong with the tactics - we simply don't have the defence we did three-four years ago when we could've gotten away playing weak midfield and sitting back. - no Vidic, no real Evra, no right back, no VDS.

We weren't a corner mistake away from the title, we lost it at Wigan and vs Everton. Ignored the ominous signs from the WBA, Fulham and QPR games, continued to rely on our back four to see games out and that bollocks finally caught up with us.
In the context of the game being discussed, that's exactly what happened.

Looking at the bigger picture, yes, there are points dropped in other games that will probably come back to haunt us. Just like points that City dropped against Everton (again) and Swansea would have come back to haunt them, if Smalling had been a bit more switched on when that corner was swung in.

Fine margins, as I keep saying.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker

It was funny hearing Tyler say something along the lines of "Giggs...oh just not one to waste possession is he?" after keeping the ball.

Here you have a man that has no doubt watched Giggs hundreds of times (perhaps thousands if he's rewatched games), yet he's still capable of trotting shite out like that. I don't even know why it annoyed me, it just did. I think it's because you expect commentators and pundits to say it how they see it instead of going along with previously formed agendas or opinions that fickle football fans will then take as fact. It happens so often (the amount of people that were saying Nani only played because of the rewind they did back to his last performances against Cliche for example, making out in the process the astonishing nature of Nani - arguably our most talented footballer - playing against our title rivals, and highlighting the unusual tactical nature of playing Nani on the right wing also).

Giggs has been fantastic for us, don't get me wrong, and I'm still sure he can contribute, but a good ball retainer he most certainly is not.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna

:lol::lol: I knew it! It's a fecking imposter in an Evra mask!

GCHQ

Glazer Crevice Headquarters
Sir Alex Ferguson, Ben Foster, Hayley McQueen.....
Those last ten minutes against Everton will haunt me (and no doubt Fergie) forever if we don't win the title. We got a pretty big warning sign just before Everton scored their third (not to mention their previous two goals and other attacks) and failed to make any change. We just needed to block the midfield up and prevent Everton from finding so much space. Instead we had Rooney and Welbeck stuck up front with a knackered Scholes in a two man central midfield with Everton pushing men forward and with Fergie laughing on the touchline with the 4th official. The rest is history.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Those last ten minutes against Everton will haunt me (and no doubt Fergie) forever if we don't win the title. We got a pretty big warning sign just before Everton scored their third (not to mention their previous two goals and other attacks) and failed to make any change. We just needed to block the midfield up and prevent Everton from finding so much space. Instead we had Rooney and Welbeck stuck up front with a knackered Scholes in a two man central midfield with Everton pushing men forward and with Fergie laughing on the touchline with the 4th official. The rest is history.
It's hard to disagree with any of that but we need to move on.We live to fight another day

Cina

Something to be said for short arsed players built like tanks. When is Messi ever innjured for example?
Well he's a freak of nature, but the Barca fitness regime and the way they play him (i.e. he runs feck all unless he actually has the ball) contribute big time to that.

In fact running feck all must be a huge factor, seeing as Ronaldo never gets injured either :D

Red Norse

IMO he's having an absolute blinder in terms of squad management.

This is not a thread for criticizing our transfer policy. Leave transfers out of it.

Taking into account the squad he has at his disposal, the injuries we've suffered.. Has this been his best season ever in terms of managing a squad?

Okay, I know we've been knocked out of the CL, but that was as much to do with player's attitudes as the selected teams. Those teams should have been strong enough to take us through, if the players were doing their job. Basel and Benfica at home.. God.

Anyway, we lost 1-6 to City in a freak accident of a match, and look what he did. Back to basics, Vidic marshalling the defense, setting us up in a 4-3-3, and grinding out 1-0-wins. Then, when our confidence again was where it should be, we've went for the jugular, and has delivered some great performances these last four matches, and looks set to pick up maximum points over the christmas period.

Overall, two draws and a loss so far this season, and a fantastic away record - it's been a pretty wonderful first half, hasn't it? All the while, injuries has decimated our squad.

I think SAF's been pretty extraordinary this season, particularly in the way he's solved our different injury crisis in CM and defence.
Even if we end up with silver, that's still true. Chief of chiefs.

Vibhas

Crewe Alexandra's Director of Football Dario Gradi:

"There were [other clubs interested] but I have to say Sir Alex wanted Nick more than anybody else did and worked harder at it," Gradi said.

"I was very impressed with the way Sir Alex went about it and what he said.

"If he was trying to sign me, I'd have signed!

"What Sir Alex has done is challenge the boy to do what Ronaldo did. Young players worry about their chances of playing when they go to United.

"But Sir Alex told Nick, 'If you do well enough, you'll get a chance. Ronaldo went on as sub [on his debut against Bolton] and was outstanding so I picked him.' Nick has got to be good enough, first of all, in training to be named as a sub but that's the challenge Sir Alex has given him."

I think we underrate Fergie's ability to sign players.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat

"There were [other clubs interested] but I have to say Sir Alex wanted Nick more than anybody else did and worked harder at it," Gradi said.

"What Sir Alex has done is challenge the boy to do what Ronaldo did. Young players worry about their chances of playing when they go to United.

"But Sir Alex told Nick, 'If you do well enough, you'll get a chance. Ronaldo went on as sub [on his debut against Bolton] and was outstanding so I picked him.' Nick has got to be good enough, first of all, in training to be named as a sub but that's the challenge Sir Alex has given him."

We don't underrated it. There has been a recent track record of countless high profile rejections. It's not Fergie's fault that we do not offer competitive wages for these sort of players.

ecantona7

Whatever happens, there are always things you coul

SAF may have learnt from the Ramsey feck up. Ramsey met with Wenger while we had him meet up with Neville at Carrington.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
SAF may have learnt from the Ramsey feck up. Ramsey met with Wenger while we had him meet up with Neville at Carrington.
Is that actually true?, If it is it sounds more like lacking a bit of class and a touch disrespectful, rather than a feck up. If i were potentially signing for a big club, if the manager didn't make the time to meet me personally, then i doubt very much whether i would feel wanted enough to sign for him. Especially if another manager of similar profile did actually make the time.

Why Neville anyway? Ramsay's welsh. Surely if you were going to send anyone, Giggs would have been a far wiser choice. Can't get my head round that at all.

I've never heard that before, i never would have thought SAF would treat a potential signing so flippantly. I always had him down as being amongst the classiest and most considerate in these types of dealings. Not really that surprising Ramsay went with Wenger. It would surely have made a huge difference to see the main man waiting to greet you, and telling you how much he rated and wanted to sign you. Personally, i would find that much more reassuring than second hand hearsay, that's for sure!

gulli_G

Is that actually true?, If it is it sounds more like lacking a bit of class and a touch disrespectful, rather than a feck up. If i were potentially signing for a big club, if the manager didn't make the time to meet me personally, then i doubt very much whether i would feel wanted enough to sign for him. Especially if another manager of similar profile did actually make the time.

Why Neville anyway? Ramsay's welsh. Surely if you were going to send anyone, Giggs would have been a far wiser choice. Can't get my head round that at all.

I've never heard that before, i never would have thought SAF would treat a potential signing so flippantly. I always had him down as being amongst the classiest and most considerate in these types of dealings. Not really that surprising Ramsay went with Wenger. It would surely have made a huge difference to see the main man waiting to greet you, and telling you how much he rated and wanted to sign you. Personally, i would find that much more reassuring than second hand hearsay, that's for sure!
although Giggs was welsh, Fergie wanted to impress him by sending him our 2nd biggest crock to meet the future crock, 1st choice was Hargo, but he couldn't make it as he was doing one of his Youtube vids.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
This Ronaldo talk is disturbing. There's going to be incredible pressure on him at this rate.

forevrared

Maybe Powell is a cocky fecker and Sir Alex knew challenging his ego is what would get him to come.