Saka vs Foden vs Palmer

Joel Miller

With Vinicius you could always see the massive potential though, he just needed to improve on his decision making which he’s now done.

With Saka and Foden, I feel like Saka’s probably a bit more ruthless with the end product and I’d maybe give him an edge. But just on pure technical ability, I don’t think there’s an England player out there with a better touch or better close control than Foden.

Moby

Dick
Bit of karma for those in here who were intent on downplaying Phil's ability.

Play him in his best position consistently and this is what he does. In big games no less.

Red Star One

Bit of karma for those in here who were intent on downplaying Phil's ability.

Play him in his best position consistently and this is what he does. In big games no less.
a fecking monster. I hate it so much he plays for City. I've got no problem with Saka, but Foden grinds my gears, which is a proof he's class.

Hammondo

Foden is so good in tight areas, I cannot remember the last English player who was that good at it.

tomaldinho1

Foden is so good in tight areas, I cannot remember the last English player who was that good at it.
Cole, Rooney? More that the teams (both domestic and national) don’t really develop that type of player. Even think of someone like Le Tisser or Hoddle.

Hammondo

Cole, Rooney? More that the teams (both domestic and national) don’t really develop that type of player. Even think of someone like Le Tisser or Hoddle.
Rooney wasn't that good in close spaces like that, and yea we don't value it enough.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What about Foden vs Musiala vs Wirtz?

tomaldinho1

Rooney wasn't that good in close spaces like that, and yea we don't value it enough.
Young Rooney had a beautiful touch and quite a low dribbling style. I think he could have developed into a more European ten if we played that way.

Hammondo

Young Rooney had a beautiful touch and quite a low dribbling style. I think he could have developed into a more European ten if we played that way.
Young Rooney was my fav, and I agree, but I don't think he quite had what Foden does. Obviously Rooney was a lot better at other things.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What about Foden vs Musiala vs Wirtz?
The answer is Bellingham

But in all serioussness, Musiala. His agility, turning speed and change of direction are off the charts. He also has the most explosive first step among them

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

Young Rooney was my fav, and I agree, but I don't think he quite had what Foden does. Obviously Rooney was a lot better at other things.
Foden isn’t that young (23) compared to when Rooney came through. He moved here at 18. Foden at 18 wasn’t really up to much but the 5 years since he’s been trained by the same coach, in the richest and deepest team with the best facilities and broadly similar system.

Obviously I don’t think anyone thinks he has the same talent as Rooney had but it’s an interesting scenario of imagining the type of player Wayne would have been had he gone to a possession heavy team and been earmarked as a 10.

Hammondo

At 19, Rooney would have started for almost any team in Europe bar maybe, maybe 2006 Barcelona. He had so much more talent than Foden.
I am not saying he didn't, he had more, but in this one area, I think Foden was better.

Hammondo

Foden isn’t that young (23) compared to when Rooney came through. He moved here at 18. Foden at 18 wasn’t really up to much but the 5 years since he’s been trained by the same coach, in the richest and deepest team with the best facilities and broadly similar system.

Obviously I don’t think anyone thinks he has the same talent as Rooney had but it’s an interesting scenario of imagining the type of player Wayne would have been had he gone to a possession heavy team and been earmarked as a 10.
True, but one of the reasons was that Rooney was physically developed as a full grown man at birth.

tomaldinho1

True, but one of the reasons was that Rooney was physically developed as a full grown man at birth.
Yeah he was a freak. Nothing taken away from Foden either, very good player, probably our best player now in tight spaces is young Mainoo.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We had 20% possession and 1 shot on target. Felt like less of a ‘big game’ than Man City playing any other team at home in the PL

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Inside forward who can occupy half spaces with other players providing width on both sides maybe?
From a heat map he played as the right forward(and was City's widest player on the right), but closer to the half space than staying wide, yeah. Kinda in between a wide forward and an inside forward. Haven't seen the game so can't comment for his role though

Moby

Dick
From a heat map he played as the right forward(and was City's widest player on the right), but closer to the half space than staying wide, yeah. Kinda in between a wide forward and an inside forward. Haven't seen the game so can't comment for his role though
He had a good chance running down the right channel (maybe should have squared it to Erling), his second goal was from the left channel, first was cutting in from the right. Having Walker there helps him more than having someone like Lewis who inverts and forces him to go wide. Similarly when Doku is there to keep width on the left, or KDB who did that at times, he's free to receive the ball between the fullback and centreback and turn towards goal, and that's where he's really deadly.

It was a similar partnership between him and Erling last season during the first few games, and he looked really good during that period as well. It's better than him playing false 9 that he did at times before they signed a number 9, or having to keep width on either side. And other one is playing deeper as a conductor but I think he's far too good a dribbler and shooter to play in a deeper role.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
We had 20% possession and 1 shot on target. Felt like less of a ‘big game’ than Man City playing any other team at home in the PL
Agreed, people using this (or any City player performance vs United in the last 10 years) as an argument for a City player's ability in big games.. that's misplaced. Let's see what Foden does at Anfield. I think it will be nothing.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
That second goal wad the definition of rolling over. Good player, but this game doesn't reflect his true class (of which I have no doubt there is tons).

Lee565

When I watch foden and saka along with what Bellingham is doing in Madrid, it's a shame England are going to throw away our best chance of winning the euros by having southgate still in charge, any manager in the world would be drooling about having the attacking and midfield options we currently have but southgate will screw it right up

Ole'sgunnarwin

Both brilliant players who should be playing in different positions. I'd rather see Foden in midfield. If he can't at least have Foden on the left and Saka on the right.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
When I watch foden and saka along with what Bellingham is doing in Madrid, it's a shame England are going to throw away our best chance of winning the euros by having southgate still in charge, any manager in the world would be drooling about having the attacking and midfield options we currently have but southgate will screw it right up
I really don't think England has the right personnel for Foden. The other 2 are fine but Maddison, Graelish or Rashford would probably be better options than Foden for England

Foden is great in the right context but he's kind of dependent on having that context...

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Agreed, people using this (or any City player performance vs United in the last 10 years) as an argument for a City player's ability in big games.. that's misplaced. Let's see what Foden does at Anfield. I think it will be nothing.
Why? He's scored three times against Liverpool before.

Righteous Steps

Why? He's scored three times against Liverpool before.
Exactly Foden is also more impractical into the big games I’ve seen him, Saka in a lot of performances I’ve seen in the past against the truly top teams hasn’t performed or drove his team like the way Foden done yesterday, even if he manages to score or assist a goal.

The one time he showed signs of this was for England in the World Cup.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Y'all simply refuse to admit its your center defensive and deep midfield options that hinder you. Not your coaching. You don't win international football trophies emulating Brazil 1982 by strictly relying on your attacking prowess.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Y'all simply refuse to admit its your center defensive and deep midfield options that hinder you. Not your coaching. You don't win international football trophies emulating Brazil 1982 by strictly relying on your attacking prowess.
if Southgate can't get acceptable performances out of Rice and Stones, it definitely is the coaching that's the problem.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
if Southgate can't get acceptable performances out of Rice and Stones, it definitely is the coaching that's the problem.
When's that happened? In tournaments I mean

pacifictheme

We have rice, one of the best in the world in his position. And stones who is also excellent. We have about a million decent to world class full backs. The only question mark is the other CB spot and GK. The rest of England's first eleven is ridiculously strong.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
We have rice, one of the best in the world in his position. And stones who is also excellent. We have about a million decent to world class full backs. The only question mark is the other CB spot and GK. The rest of England's first eleven is ridiculously strong.
Until Southgate starts Henderson and replaces Saka with a hopelessly out of form Sterling in the 65th minute