Saka vs Foden vs Palmer

GlasgowCeltic

Saka should be targeting that open spot on Real Madrids right wing in the future, always thought Pep would swoop in on him but Saka can do better

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Saka should be targeting that open spot on Real Madrids right wing in the future, always thought Pep would swoop in on him but Saka can do better
Levy miraculously handcuffing Kane to Spurs gives me hope that we can keep a hold of Saka. He's got more medals than him already.

Frank Grimes

Think people have very short memories. I've seen Foden run games away against top teams in Champions League games. Standing out more than De Bruyne even.

Saka is excellent too but Foden is the superior talent imo, more variation to his game.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
How often to British players leave Britain?

We are going well, we are spending money, we have a top young manager who really looks the part. We will get Saka signed dup to a long term contract.

Saka will stay at Arsenal for years to come.

Saka has 7 goals at the half way mark. He should be aiming for 15-16 in the league this season. I reckon he can progress to be a 20 league goal a season winger.

GlasgowCeltic

How often to British players leave Britain?

We are going well, we are spending money, we have a top young manager who really looks the part. We will get Saka signed dup to a long term contract.

Saka will stay at Arsenal for years to come.

Saka has 7 goals at the half way mark. He should be aiming for 15-16 in the league this season. I reckon he can progress to be a 20 league goal a season winger.
if Madrid call he'd be stupid not to go, no Arsenal project can compare. All hypothetical anyway

Last edited:

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Think people have very short memories. I've seen Foden run games away against top teams in Champions League games. Standing out more than De Bruyne even.

Saka is excellent too but Foden is the superior talent imo, more variation to his game.
I'm not going to argue regarding the talent levels.

But I want you to explain what you mean by more variation to his game. Do you mean more versatile?

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Better vision
That doesn't explain what you mean by more variation.

Saka can play both LW (and a provider, staying wider and crossing) and RW (as more of a scorer by cutting in) to a excellent standard. He can also play fullback. That's variation.

Frank Grimes

That doesn't explain what you mean by more variation.

Saka can play both LW (and a provider, staying wider and crossing) and RW (as more of a scorer by cutting in) to a excellent standard. He can also play fullback. That's variation.
Yeah I was in a hurry.

I think you're confusing versatility with variation to his game ( I'm not even convinced Saka is more versatile either as I still feel Foden can become a more central attacking player something Saka would struggle at ). Saka is a better defender that I will concede though Foden also played wing back for city on a few occassions.

I consider Foden a better passer, both long and short. I just think he is a more rounded player and his peak trumps Saka's. Foden has playmaking abilities that Saka will never have.

No slight on Saka though, obviously an excellent player.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Yeah I was in a hurry.

I think you're confusing versatility with variation to his game ( I'm not even convinced Saka is more versatile either as I still feel Foden can become a more central attacking player something Saka would struggle at ). Saka is a better defender that I will concede though Foden also played wing back for city on a few occassions.

I consider Foden a better passer, both long and short. I just think he is a more rounded player and his peak trumps Saka's. Foden has playmaking abilities that Saka will never have.

No slight on Saka though, obviously an excellent player.
Thanks for the explanation.

Yeah it's no slight at all. As I said earlier in the thread - it doesn't matter who the better player is, or who is perceived to have the higher ceiling. It's a fine margin and at the end of the day both players are great. No one loses here.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Is it? Are the standards higher at Man United than they are at Arsenal?
I think he’s saying that United are a bigger club than Arsenal. Which is true.

I’m not sure how important that would be to a player in Saka’s situation, though. I’m sure he’s far more concerned with the likelihood of being well coached and challenging for trophies in the short to medium term.

United are a far bigger club than City, but City are a more attractive destination for a top young player right now and have been for a while.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Is it? Are the standards higher at Man United than they are at Arsenal?
Even at our worst ( the 10 year period) how many times have Arsenal finished above Man United in the league after Wenger left? (Wenger = Fergie)

*Garnacho was not born when Arsenal last won the league.
*Glazers hadn't bought Man United when Arsenal last won the League.
*Man City was in the trenches, they finished 15th in 2005 right after Arsenal won the league.
*Messi had NOT done a Senior debut for his playing career.

Dont let this season cloud your judgement about Arsenal or it's standards.

The last time Arsenal played in Champions League was in Wenger's reign. Almost 6 years ago.

Your last champions league game was a 10-2 aggregate loss to Bayern, even on Peak Moyes time we didn't lose than big to Bayern, since then you've never qualified for one.

Even at United falling standards, I can tell you we are not deep into those trenches..

bringbackbebe

I’m not sure how important that would be to a player in Saka’s situation, though. I’m sure he’s far more concerned with the likelihood of being well coached and challenging for trophies in the short to medium term.

United are a far bigger club than City, but City are a more attractive destination for a top young player right now and have been for a while.
Makes no sense for Saka to leave in the next 3-4 years. He could spearhead an era of change at Arsenal - why would he choose to be a bit part player booed by the fans for every mistake at Madrid? I also don't see Arsenal selling him for less than ~150m - which I'm sure Madrid won't pay.

Boehly on the other hand....

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Makes no sense for Saka to leave in the next 3-4 years. He could spearhead an era of change at Arsenal - why would he choose to be a bit part player booed by the fans for every mistake at Madrid? I also don't see Arsenal selling him for less than ~150m - which I'm sure Madrid won't pay.

Boehly on the other hand....
Exactly. Bale had a great career with Madrid after leaving Tottenham, but in the end he was still booed off the pitch. Thats got to be playing on his mind. If Arsenal manage to match the financial package that'll be offered to him by the likes of Real Madrid or City, then I don't see any reason why Saka should not continue with Arsenal.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
Exactly. Bale had a great career with Madrid after leaving Tottenham, but in the end he was still booed off the pitch. Thats got to be playing on his mind. If Arsenal manage to match the financial package that'll be offered to him by the likes of Real Madrid or City, then I don't see any reason why Saka should not continue with Arsenal.
the premier league is the ultimate league to win, bale wasn’t challenging for titles at Spurs . He went to real to win things. If Saka wins the league at the club he grew up supporting then he’s got it perfect. If you play for the champions of England then you’re automatically at one of the best 4 teams in Europe and so have the prospect of more success and challenging for the big 2 honours every year.
if we were just finishing top 4 I can see why hed be tempted elsewhere, like Rashford possibly looking at psg . Players at that level want to fight for titles or will look to leave.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
the premier league is the ultimate league to win, bale wasn’t challenging for titles at Spurs . He went to real to win things. If Saka wins the league at the club he grew up supporting then he’s got it perfect. If you play for the champions of England then you’re automatically at one of the best 4 teams in Europe and so have the prospect of more success and challenging for the big 2 honours every year.
if we were just finishing top 4 I can see why hed be tempted elsewhere, like Rashford possibly looking at psg . Players at that level want to fight for titles or will look to leave.
But winning titles got him nothing, just disrespect from Madristas. He used Madrid to win titles, and Madrid used him to win titles - it was like a cold business transaction. If he had stayed at Tottenham, then they might even have won a couple when both him and Kane would've been together around their primes and both of them Bale and Kane could've gone down as legends.
I'm assuming(hoping) if Saka stays together then he'll realize that sooner or later Arsenal will get a title winning squad together, the chances of which will be improved by him staying. I mean why Bale, even RVP if he had been a bit more patient, could've won the title with Arsenal instead of Utd.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Eh, it's twofold: arsenal need to be good enough for him - that is winning PL/CL or at least realistically competing for them - and he needs to *not* become too good for arsenal - madrid/city/whoever decide he's worth £500-600k a week or more and arsenal can't afford to match

simplyared

One 21 the other 22. I'd go for Foden because I believe he still hasn't hit his peak and with his attributes the sky's the limit. Saka who is performing currently the best of the two, I cant invisage the same development for him.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Aside from all the trophies he's won, Foden has some impressive champions league knockout performances under his belt (Dortmund, PSG, etc).

Saka hasn't even played a champions league game in his career.

Foden has 10ga in a 'poor' season for him, whilst superstar Saka has 14ga in his 'best'. Hardly a yawning chasm.

Dominos

A lot of United fans don't seem to understand the large majority of the attraction to a "big" club is that it's correlated with higher wages and winning trophies.

When a "smaller" club like City offer the same trophy prospects and wages as "big" clubs then what happens? They end up with a squad full of elite players that everyone wants like Haaland, Aguero, De Bruyne, Silva. "Prestige" or whatever people call it becomes a distant afterthought to most players, it's of far lesser importance than money and trophies.

If Arsenal win the league this season then Saka has little reason to doubt their competitiveness on the trophy front. What could let Arsenal down however is if they don't compete with the giants on wages.

Most like Saka takes the view that he's young so he can sign a 5 year deal at Arsenal and leave further down the line if they're not winning stuff, whilst he'll still have years left of his prime. He can always ask for a release clause also.

padr81

Supports
Man City
But winning titles got him nothing, just disrespect from Madristas. He used Madrid to win titles, and Madrid used him to win titles - it was like a cold business transaction. If he had stayed at Tottenham, then they might even have won a couple when both him and Kane would've been together around their primes and both of them Bale and Kane could've gone down as legends.
I'm assuming(hoping) if Saka stays together then he'll realize that sooner or later Arsenal will get a title winning squad together, the chances of which will be improved by him staying. I mean why Bale, even RVP if he had been a bit more patient, could've won the title with Arsenal instead of Utd.
Didn't it get him 30m a year for multiple years? Loyalty will never stump money.

For footballers like in any profession money is king. If Madrid come in with some crazy 500k a week wages he'll be gone because there is no way you'll be able to match it. If history shows us anything its loyalty means shit to 99% of footballers

mctrials23

Very different players but both with bags of talent. Not sure why anyone is that bothered about trying to compare them.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Didn't it get him 30m a year for multiple years? Loyalty will never stump money.

For footballers like in any profession money is king. If Madrid come in with some crazy 500k a week wages he'll be gone because there is no way you'll be able to match it. If history shows us anything its loyalty means shit to 99% of footballers
Yeah, agree completely. If you follow the thread backwards you'll see that I had mentioned that Arsenal will need to match whatever offer Madrid makes to him.

For what its worth, Arsenal will probably be able to afford 500k at his peak(we gave Ozil 350k) provided he extends now. We won't be offering him 500k now, max he'll get right now as a 21 year old is 200k.

Remains to be seen if that would be enough for him, or if anyone offers more. Luckily it seems most of the bigger clubs are well stocked when it comes to wingers.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah, agree completely. If you follow the thread backwards you'll see that I had mentioned that Arsenal will need to match whatever offer Madrid makes to him.

For what its worth, Arsenal will probably be able to afford 500k at his peak(we gave Ozil 350k) provided he extends now. We won't be offering him 500k now, max he'll get right now as a 21 year old is 200k.

Remains to be seen if that would be enough for him, or if anyone offers more. Luckily it seems most of the bigger clubs are well stocked when it comes to wingers.
I'd hate to see him leave the league so all for you keeping him btw. just accustomed to seeing clubs lose best players to an elite few.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Imagine if England played

Saka - Maddison - Foden behind Rashford. :drool:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
For now this isn’t really a contest. Saka has moved far ahead. Early days in their careers for it to tits up or swimmingly well for either.

marktan

Foden is the more naturally gifted.

But I've always rated Saka highly too, he's increased his output and is more natural on the RW than Foden, so if given the choice I'd take Saka.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Really not a contest. Saka is faster, a better dribbler, better shot and cross, is a clearly top class right winger, while Foden is a neat and tidy player capable of some great moments but nobody knows what position he actually is/should be or will develop in. Might make a top 10, but he doesn't have top potential on the wings.

England should use this, and then get a coach who can actually coach them properly:

Rashford - Kane - Saka
Maddison - Bellingham
Rice
Shaw - Stones - Tomori - James
Ramsdale​

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Saka miles ahead as of now. Foden needs to go to a team where he will play consistent football and be a key player. Being the man at Arsenal has really help Saka push on, while Foden still misses big games and goes through periods of being out of the team.

The gap between them will only grow if they continue to be used the way they are. In 5 years, Saka could be at Madrid and Foden could be the forgotten man.

He needs to be allowed to step up and take responsibility, and that will never happen at City.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
What is the best position of Foden? I remember he played as false 9 last season when Jesus was injured. Is Foden a left winger, left playmaker, central attacking midfielder or a false 9? I remember he said he preferred to play in the middle.