Saka vs Foden vs Palmer

marktan

Saka every day of the week. A recent hattrick by Foden doesn't change anything, Saka has been far better over the last 2-3 years.

Look at their respective play when they play for England to judge them, Saka is almost always better. He's slowed down a bit this season due to being severely overplayed by Arteta and Southgate with little rest.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Which level is that? Foden is on 8+7 g+a and Saka is on 8+8 this season.

Last two seasons Saka also produced more. It's just facts.
Saka was arguably the league’s best winger (top 3 at the very least) last season and one of its best players. Foden has never had such a season. He’s obviously a very good player and I understand finding him a more exciting talent, but thus far, you can’t objectively say he’s been as good / better as than Saka. He simply hasn’t reached that level yet despite good bursts of form here and there.

ROFLUTION

Saka was arguably the league’s best winger (top 3 at the very least) last season and one of its best players. Foden has never had such a season. He’s obviously a very good player and I understand finding him a more exciting talent, but thus far, you can’t objectively say he’s been as good / better as than Saka. He simply hasn’t reached that level yet despite good bursts of form here and there.
Foden's role is different too. Saka plays the same spot every week, whereas Foden shifts when KdB is out. Also plays on the wings sometimes. On the wing, it's clear to me Saka is the better dribbler and the better crosser. Has to be said Saka is on pens though but his xGi this season is around 6 more than Foden.

Foden looks to have more stamina and athleticism imo and I remember in the beginning of the season he was doing numerous sprints around 90th minute leading me to believe he was on something. Tidy flexible player however who just knows where to arrive and has great focus.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Saka’s been the better player up until this point but I think the wear and tear of relentlessly playing matches and rushes back from little knocks will take their toll - similar to Rashford.

This season will be the first time Foden breaks 25+ league starts.

Rojofiam

I think Foden is more talented, and more aesthetically pleasing to watch play as well, but Saka has been and is the better player currently.

Foden is most certainly not "miles ahead" or "on another level", that's just delusional City fans talking.

And calling Saka inconsistent would be a great WUM attempt, to be honest. His consistency is one of his biggest values.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Saka’s been the better player up until this point but I think the wear and tear of relentlessly playing matches and rushes back from little knocks will take their toll - similar to Rashford.

This season will be the first time Foden breaks 25+ league starts.
Yep, I agree that this is a real danger.

Makes what @BlueMoonOutcast said even funnier. Apparently Saka (the most consistent young player England has to call upon) “often vanishes”. It’s taken until this season for Foden to even consistently start games.

Moby

Dick
It’s taken until this season for Foden to even consistently start games.
And anyone who has watched that team knows it has nothing to do with his performances. He has been benched in the past after dropping man of the match performances and tearing apart the opposition. Saka should be happy he doesn't have a psychopath managing his team.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
And anyone who has watched that team knows it has nothing to do with his performances. He has been benched in the past after dropping man of the match performances and tearing apart the opposition. Saka should be happy he doesn't have a psychopath managing his team.
He was benched because de Bruyne / Gundogan / both Silvas etc were better than him. So, as @BlueMoonOutcast rightly points out, he’s clearly a fantastic player to even be in City’s squad. And he’s had a much tougher time breaking in to the first team than Saka has. All very true.

Having said all that, his contribution to both his club and national teams hasn’t matched Saka’s in pretty much any way. That may very well be changing this season. As an Arsenal fan, I’m hoping it doesn’t. As an England fan and a fan of football in general, it would be great to see him fulfill his undoubted talent.

Hughes35

Saka for me. There is a reason Saka is the first name on the team sheet for England and Arsenal but Foden is arguably first choice sub for both.

Both very good players though and rate them both very highly.

mctrials23

Completely different players. Technically Foden is far superior but he also plays in a team where technically good players have an easy time of things compared to most teams. Saka is just a quality flair player. Both are absolutely top top class in their own areas. If I was to take one at United it would be Saka but thats probably just because hes a better fit.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
They could play in the same starting 11, can't really make a full comparison here.

whitbyviking

https://fbref.com/tiny/bWx08

Actually it's closer than I thought even with per 90s. npXG+xAG/90 is 0.5 for Foden v 0.63 for Saka. So it's not even considering penalties here, we can put that away.

Everything else (passing, ball carrying, defensive output etc.) seems like a wash. Infact https://fbref.com/tiny/fGXbo (Saka 22-23 vs Saka 23-24) is even more surprising. He seems to be doing better this season by any metric than last.
I’m quite surprised by this as the couple of times I’ve seen him this season he hasn’t looked at his best, probably just a quirk of the “eye test”

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
:lol:

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Stick to the Phil Neville jokes, someone will laugh anytime now
I mean, it is kinda laughable that Foden being dropped has “nothing to do with his performances” relative to the other options that Guardiola has at his disposal.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Both are fantastic. England have some team at the moment.
This is true. Foden makes football looks so easy at times. I’d live to see a midfield trio of:
Foden / Rice / Bellingham. I can’t see Southgate doing it, though.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Before Bellingham's rise to PR king any decent England manager would have built a team around Foden (that included Saka anyway), but people can't seriously be judging a player like Foden on what Gareth Southgate does with him?

Todd

Foden is more versatile, as he can play out wide or in the middle of the park.

It's comically unfair that City get both Foden and De Bruyne.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal

Saka stats from Transfermarkt
Saka has top flight experience as a defender, midfielder and forward. He's comfortable on either flank and began the 21/22 season in CM. He could have stayed there if he wasn't so effective on the RW. He's also got over 100 appearances at wing-back, so he's comfortable with 3 or 4 at the back.

I completely understand preferring Foden as a player, but suggesting that he's more versatile or (as mentioned elsewhere) more consistent than Saka is odd.

Teja

I’m quite surprised by this as the couple of times I’ve seen him this season he hasn’t looked at his best, probably just a quirk of the “eye test”
Yeah that's where I started too. In the games I was watched he was very mediocre. I don't think Arsenal are better as a attacking Unit this season than last either, so we can't just put it down to the rising tide lifting all boats. Gotta dig more to understand.

Teja

Saka stats from Transfermarkt
Saka has top flight experience as a defender, midfielder and forward. He's comfortable on either flank and began the 21/22 season in CM. He could have stayed there if he wasn't so effective on the RW. He's also got over 100 appearances at wing-back, so he's comfortable with 3 or 4 at the back.

I completely understand preferring Foden as a player, but suggesting that he's more versatile or (as mentioned elsewhere) more consistent than Saka is odd.
There's useful versatility and useless versatility. Foden can play across the frontline (LW, RW, False 9, #10). Saka is effective mostly from the RW. Doesn't matter that he played LWB when he was young.

tomaldinho1

Not sure I'd put them in the same bracket, one is far more important than the other to City.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
There's useful versatility and useless versatility. Foden can play across the frontline (LW, RW, False 9, #10). Saka is effective mostly from the RW. Doesn't matter that he played LWB when he was young.
Useless versatility? I don’t even know what that means.

Saka can play all of those positions as well. He just doesn’t anymore because we play him in his best position. That tends to happen with a team’s most influential players.

And what does “when he was younger” even mean? He’s 22. Those 209 first team appearances (virtually all starts) have all come in recent years.

Once again, I totally get preferring Foden - he’s great. But you know Saka must be a pretty good player when you have to invent concepts like “useless versatility” to criticise him.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
His touch, close control, generally playing in tight spaces, and his technical passing are just better.
Eh. Kind of agree but it's very close. Other than tight spaces, where I'd argue he has a physical advantage more than a technical one