Saka vs Foden vs Palmer

Lincm

Supports
Arsenal
Or maybe its in your head.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/bukay.../liga/0/wettbewerb//pos/4/trainer_id/0/plus/1

Filter by position - left back
Scored a goal and assisted 5 times from that position.
played a lot on the left during the 19/20 season when he was breaking through.

When he was playing in the youth league, he often played everywhere along the left and CM, and he often demonstrated consistency also when he was playing for the england U23/21/18 teams.

Most non Arsenal fans assume he's only recently been playing at a high level. But his maturity shown through in the early years and he's been doing this for a while now. So Arsenal fans are just delighted he's growing from strength to strength and become very productive.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Just say you didn't watch him, as simple as that. Saka was very good at every position he played.
There are one or two on this forum who seem to view doubling and tripling down on an opinion as a badge of honour - even when it's on a subject they've admitted to knowing little about. It's really weird.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There are one or two on this forum who seem to view doubling and tripling down on an opinion as a badge of honour - even when it's on a subject they admitted to knowing little about. It's really weird.
Exactly. Always end up digging bigger hole with every post.

Hammondo

Oh, you’re not being sarcastic.

Saka played 21 games at LB...
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/buk...verein=11&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=4&trainer_id=

And 35 games at LWB...
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/buk...verein=11&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=9&trainer_id=

Of those 56 appearances, 41 were starts. That's the entirety of his breakthrough season, plus the following season when he became one of the first names on the team sheet. And was called up to the senior England side for his first cap. At LWB.

You confidently stating that he wasn't exceptional is pretty laughable; you quite literally don't know what you're talking about.
Left midfield is not left wing back, I showed you an example of where hes playing wide left attack and its down as LM.

Hammondo

Just say you didn't watch him, as simple as that. Saka was very good at every position he played.
He was decent, that's it. Maybe its just low standards because of how we are at United, but fans writing here say players are so much better than they are if they do basic things.

roonster09

Scout
He was decent, that's it. Maybe its just low standards because of how we are at United, but fans writing here say players are so much better than they are if they do basic things.
How do you know he was decent when you didn't know he played as LB.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Left midfield is not left wing back, I showed you an example of where hes playing wide left attack and its down as LM.
Nah, they were left wing back. Why are you arguing this? You’ve already made it clear you didn’t watch or didn’t remember this period. :lol:

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Yes, you did indeed cite an example of him playing further forward...
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spielbericht/index/spielbericht/3574735
In 2021. He made his Arsenal debut in 2018. As a LB. Then he made his England debut in 2020. As a LWB. Positions he went on to play roughly 60 times. Funnily enough, he played quite well. Or we would have, you know, stopped selecting him.

You don't know what you're talking about. Which, for the hundredth time, is fine. You're not an Arsenal fan. It's okay to not know a great deal about Saka. Just stop pretending that you do - it's becoming pathological.

Sniper007

The hole you are digging is becoming difficult to fill even with the sand from every beach in the world.

You do realise your previous posts in this thread are still here and are in readable English?

You’ve basically just denied the existence of something and a few posts later still denied it’s existence but claimed when it did exist it was just ok, but the stats say it didn’t exist but you now agree it did exist but wasn’t exceptional at existing.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Saka was an awesome left wingback. To the point of drawing interest from Real Madrid as a possible long term successor for Marcelo

roonster09

Scout
Yes, you did indeed cite an example of him playing further forward...
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spielbericht/index/spielbericht/3574735
In 2021. He made his Arsenal debut in 2018. As a LB. Then he made his England debut in 2020. As a LWB. Positions he went on to play roughly 60 times. Funnily enough, he played quite well. Or we would have, you know, stopped selecting him.

You don't know what you're talking about. Which, for the hundredth time, is fine. You're not an Arsenal fan. It's okay to not know a great deal about Saka. Just stop pretending that you do - it's becoming pathological.
There is an interview by Saka too where the talks about his position when he was playing as LB.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
There is an interview by Saka too where the talks about his position when he was playing as LB.
The weight of evidence that Saka was brilliant at LB/LWB is astounding. But even if we were to discount all of that, you only have to watch him play now. Defensively, he frequently shuts his side of the pitch down for his opposite number. And going forward he’s got 100 G/A for Arsenal alone, despite have been doubled up on in almost every match for the last 12 months.

@Hammondo chose possibly the weirdest hill to die on that I’ve seen in my entire time on RedCafe.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Saka was an awesome left wingback. To the point of drawing interest from Real Madrid as a possible long term successor for Marcelo
Don’t be ridiculous. Apparently, there’s nothing to suggest he played well in that position. If he, in fact, ever played there at all. :lol:

Joel Miller

The hole you are digging is becoming difficult to fill even with the sand from every beach in the world.

You do realise your previous posts in this thread are still here and are in readable English?

You’ve basically just denied the existence of something and a few posts later still denied it’s existence but claimed when it did exist it was just ok, but the stats say it didn’t exist but you now agree it did exist but wasn’t exceptional at existing.
He’s in another thread saying nobody ever talks about Shearer anymore so I suppose it’s to be expected

Lincm

Supports
Arsenal
Don’t be ridiculous. Apparently, there’s nothing to suggest he played well in that position. If he, in fact, ever played there at all. :lol:
this confuses me if I were new to the forum. Are you also hammando and arguing with yourself to bring the counter up.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
this confuses me if I were new to the forum. Are you also hammando and arguing with yourself to bring the counter up.
No, I probably spend too much time here as it is. I can’t imagine doing overtime with a second account.

Though, your theory makes more sense than someone insisting their analysis of a player’s breakthrough is correct (and everyone else’s is wrong) after admitting they didn’t watch them play early in their career.

lurkermania

Supports
Arsenal
You really didn't watch Arsenal, huh. Even when Saka was breaking through he's an excellent at left back. I watch him so many times in that position and i never felt insecured when he played. That's how good he is in that position. Unlike the rest of our team back then.

Hughes35

Foden is more versatile, as he can play out wide or in the middle of the park.

It's comically unfair that City get both Foden and De Bruyne.
Disagree. When Saka started out he basically played every position on the pitch.

Hughes35

Talking about Saka V Foden really makes you realise the England team really should be winning something.

--------------------------------Pickford----------------------
Walker---------------Stones--------Maguire----------Shaw
--------------------------Rice------------????-------------------------
Saka--------------------Bellingham------------------Foden
---------------------------------Kane----------------------------------

That's an outrageous front 4 and the rest of the team is pretty good too !!

Only big question mark for me is that other midfield spot.... and Gareth.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Talking about Saka V Foden really makes you realise the England team really should be winning something.

Only big question mark for me is that other midfield spot.... and Gareth.
Foden alongside Rice. An in form Rashford (if he makes the squad), Maddison or Grealish wide left.

An elite manager would take us to the title (not allowing for a probably spectacular French side).

Hughes35

Foden alongside Rice. An in form Rashford (if he makes the squad), Maddison or Grealish wide left.

An elite manager would take us to the title (not allowing for a probably spectacular French side).
Yea, I thought about that. Rashford doesn't make the team for me unless his form really improves.

Also, has Foden ever played that deep? I'd rather no shoehorn players in to the side if it's not positions their comfortable with.

Agree that an elite manager would have us as serious contenders. So much quality now, no real glaring weakness.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal

I'd like to see any of those options. But we all know that Henderson or Phillips will come in to form a cautious double-pivot.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

That, with Bellingham infront is how you get knocked in the first knockout round.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

It's a good side, definitely. Avoid one of the other big hitters until the Semi/Finals, and we could win something.

Other good players in Alexander-Arnold, Rashford, Maddison, Eze, Palmer etc. as bench options.

Same issue exists that we've had a for a while, though. We lack a proper no.8 who plays around with the ball and can provide some real composure when we're against sides of equal or better quality. Mainoo could probably (hopefully) grow into that player but it's still too soon. Could we put Stones beside Rice? I don't watch City enough to know whether he can actually play in midfield outside of Pep's perverted systems

ZainCRse7en

That is a weird one for me. You have to look at how much of an upgrade players are. Odegaard is far less of an upgrade on Bruno and Mount than Saka is on our winger options.

Saka and Garnacho on opposite wings would be very exciting.
You haven't been watching Odegaard of late have you? Esp the last few games against Pool and West Ham. Guy would absolutely raise our midfield another level. Arsenal could even afford to slot in a useless passanger in Havertz in that midfield and yet they still could dominate football matches. We could not even do so despite trying out multiple combinations of Cas, Mount, Bruno, Mctom, Mainoo, etc.

UnrelatedPsuedo

That, with Bellingham infront is how you get knocked in the first knockout round.
To be fair, there aren’t many teams that we shouldn’t be able to take the game to.

Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw and Rice is one of the strongest defensive bases in international football. We should be dictating matches. This country has Stockholm syndrome. Saka, Foden, Bellingham and even Kane put in monumental defensive shifts if they’re coached correctly. All have done for their sides this and last year. They’re not luxury attacking players for 90 minutes.

Foden has shown at City that he can play a high pressing defensive game as an 8 alongside a 6. England could do that.

I wouldn’t advocate that we play against Portugal, Spain or France like that this summer. But any other side should be worried about this talented England squad/team pulling their pants down.

Pep has played him there. It could work easily. Appreciably, Mainoo might be a better bet if he comes off this season looking as good as he does now. But either are far better options than Phillips, Ward-Prowse or Henderson.

GlasgowCeltic

To be fair, there aren’t many teams that we shouldn’t be able to take the game to.

Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw and Rice is one of the strongest defensive bases in international football. We should be dictating matches. This country has Stockholm syndrome. Saka, Foden, Bellingham and even Kane put in monumental defensive shifts if they’re coached correctly. All have done for their sides this and last year. They’re not luxury attacking players for 90 minutes.

Foden has shown at City that he can play a high pressing defensive game as an 8 alongside a 6. England could do that.

I wouldn’t advocate that we play against Portugal, Spain or France like that this summer. But any other side should be worried about this talented England squad/team pulling their pants down.

Pep has played him there. It could work easily. Appreciably, Mainoo might be a better bet if he comes off this season looking as good as he does now. But either are far better options than Phillips, Ward-Prowse or Henderson.
When?

UnrelatedPsuedo

Yea, I thought about that. Rashford doesn't make the team for me unless his form really improves.

Also, has Foden ever played that deep? I'd rather no shoehorn players in to the side if it's not positions their comfortable with.

Agree that an elite manager would have us as serious contenders. So much quality now, no real glaring weakness.
Yes and no. He’s played there for City but only because you’re not playing deep as an 8 for City. You’re high, pressing, and never defending for too long.

It’s not suicidal for a well coached team. Which England are not. Because of Southgate.

We’ll play another 6 alongside Rice and be a poorer side for it.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Loads of times. I suffer many City matches as my brother supports them (Grandfather is from Manchester and my brother was contrarian in the 90’s).

City own the ball for much of most matches. Meaning He plays often as a somewhat deeper 10. He doesn’t just hold high like De Bruyne does. He often plays deeper than the Belgian in Midfield and this season especially he’s been included or moved into one of the midfield 3 when he’s not played wide.

Theres loads of evidence to prove he can play there. He’d have ZERO chance of playing as an 8 for United, but for City, and a well coached England, he’d be just fine.

I’m never Bullish about England, but we should be able to play the next tournament safe in the knowledge we can outplay most teams we play.

In addition… Rice is truly exceptional, and with Stones, Walker and Shaw in there, there’s more than enough to do the work in the final third to allow Foden to play higher than a standard 8.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Quite a bit. City play 4-3-3. A midfield of:

Bellingham - Rice - Foden

With Rice the deepest of the three would put each of those players in their strongest position.

Rice regularly anchors a trio containing Odegaard and Havertz. And his team has conceded the least goals in the league. He’d have no problem balancing out Bellingham and Foden.

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
Foden hasn't shown that he can play in midfield for City because he doesn't play there. Lacks the tempo to control games according to Pep.

Foden plays deeper than KDB, Foden as an aggressive 8. What games are you guys watching? When he has not been on the wings he has played the Alvarez role when Haaland was injured.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Foden hasn't shown that he can play in midfield for City because he doesn't play there. Lacks the tempo to control games according to Pep.

Foden plays deeper than KDB, Foden as an aggressive 8. What games are you guys watching? When he has not been on the wings he has played the Alvarez role when Haaland was injured.
STOP pretending Foden has not ever excelled for City as a wide player over the last 3 years.....

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Quite a bit. City play 4-3-3. A midfield of:

Bellingham - Rice - Foden

With Rice the deepest of the three would put each of those players in their strongest position.

Rice regularly anchors a trio containing Odegaard and Havertz. And his team has conceded the least goals in the league. He’d have no problem balancing out Bellingham and Foden.
He does it ahead of a superior cb partnership than ANY England can master, with an inverted fullbacks next to him.