Saka vs Foden vs Palmer

Vapor trail

What is the best position of Foden? I remember he played as false 9 last season when Jesus was injured. Is Foden a left winger, left playmaker, central attacking midfielder or a false 9?
This is very true, jack of all trades master of none. Saka is a better player than Foden. Foden can be seen as the more technical individual but when it comes down to influencing a game Saka just offers more threat. Additionally, I don't think Foden gets into city's strongest team barring a position in the midfield. Grealish is better on the left and Mahrez is better on the right. If City played a double pivot midfield then Foden I would imagine would be fantastic behind the striker but he's not going to get that opportunity with Pep given the shape the team occupies in possession.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
This is very true, jack of all trades master of none. Saka is a better player than Foden. Foden can be seen as the more technical individual but when it comes down to influencing a game Saka just offers more threat. Additionally, I don't think Foden gets into city's strongest team barring a position in the midfield. Grealish is better on the left and Mahrez is better on the right. If City played a double pivot midfield then Foden I would imagine would be fantastic behind the striker but he's not going to get that opportunity with Pep given the shape the team occupies in possession.
I do believe Foden is a top english talent. He just needs to get a starting spot in his best position for his team so that he can keep developing and move to the next level. Saka got that in Arsenal, and same can be said for Rashford in Man Utd.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'd still go with Foden personally, for England though Foden on the left, Saka on the right, Rashford (and all other United players) at home given a rest

Zen

City are definitely better with him on the left than Grealish.... so I don't get that one up there. But like Silva, he's just handicapped by KdB having the freedom in the I guess, midfield?, while they get slightly more defined roles to supplement him. Silva had his highlight season covering KdB, Foden will likely flourish post-KdB.... or not if Pep doesn't stay.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
I think Foden's early adulation has got to his head and he hasnt kicked on. Hes got so much natural talent but seems to have an attitude problem off the field and from the outside it looks like Saka worked more on his game and has now gone past him in terms of end product, which is the ultimate barometer for these attacking players. Foden still superb but becoming too much of a luxury player.

SambaBoy

I think this is the first season where Foden is living up to his potential. He's always had a reputation based on talent and moments but he's never really influenced a season for a sustained period of time. This year he's putting up the stats and performances.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not so sure he is.
Saka was among the PL’s best players last season. Foden has never managed to do that. I believe Saka has been first choice for the NT which hasn’t always been the case for Foden. I think Foden like Greenwood is more naturally gifted than Saka but it hasn’t shown in their careers so far.

ZainCRse7en

Saka easily the better player. No discussion here. Every game I watch Arsenal play, Saka gets double and even triple-teamed to death. That's how much team fears his threat.

simplyared

Foden, at present is playing the best football of his life and agueably the current most valuable player in the PL (along with Haaland). He's better than Saka!

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
This is one of those debates that is just offensive to one player and everyone has to tolerate it. Foden is miles ahead and I won't pretend otherwise.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
This is one of those debates that is just offensive to one player and everyone has to tolerate it. Foden is miles ahead and I won't pretend otherwise.
Neither are miles ahead of the other

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Don’t these play in complete different positions?

DJ_21

Yep. Also, only one consistently been a key player for both his club and national sides.
I’d say Foden has become a key player for City, especially this season. As for national team… neither of them perform consistently for England. Think Rashford does more than both for England.

tomaldinho1

Definitely Saka for me. Foden is a good player but I feel like outside of that system he'd be far less useful whereas I feel Saka would tear it up for City.

DJ_21

Definitely Saka for me. Foden is a good player but I feel like outside of that system he'd be far less useful whereas I feel Saka would tear it up for City.
Think a better debate would be Odegaard or Foden. Could Foden shine in that Arsenal team? I think Odegaard will go up a level for city.

Buckie

Supports
Arsenal
Think a better debate would be Odegaard or Foden. Could Foden shine in that Arsenal team? I think Odegaard will go up a level for city.
This is a good point. Haaland would finish a lot of the chances that Odegaard creates or starts that Jesus has been missing.

GlasgowCeltic

I’d say Foden has become a key player for City, especially this season. As for national team… neither of them perform consistently for England. Think Rashford does more than both for England.
They have to both start for England, think it’s beyond the point of Southgate being able to force others ahead of Foden because they’ve got more pace

Von Mistelroum

I would take Saka over Foden. I think he would be good in any team, whereas Foden might not be as good.

Plus, I would hate to have to look at Foden's face playing for us every week :lol:

Edit: oh yeah and I'd take Odegaard over both.

Supports
Chelsea
Saka is the epitome of the perfect modern winger, good at everything great at nothing. Can fulfil tactical roles all across the pitch when you need a structured setup. Works hard off the ball. Has good output in terms of G/A but has pretty average underlying statistics.

In every era Foden would be considered the better player, except this one.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
In every era Foden would be considered the better player, except this one.
We have a better grasp and understanding of football now than in previous eras

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I doubt that
I mean we do. The sport is more accessible than ever thanks to the tv deals, the understanding if organization, tactics, etc, is more evolved, we have better tools to judge players impact and performance, etc

We very clearly are better at figuring out who is good and who isn't now than ever before

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I mean we do. The sport is more accessible than ever thanks to the tv deals, the understanding if organization, tactics, etc, is more evolved, we have better tools to judge players impact and performance, etc

We very clearly are better at figuring out who is good and who isn't now than ever before
We have tools to judge output and productivity in their given system which does not equate to quality of player

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
We have tools to judge output and productivity in their given system which does not equate to quality of player
It kinda does. As do the various advanced metrics measuring stuff like value over replacement, etc

But that's the least part of it. The big part is, we are a lot more knowledgeable and smart about this sport than we were at any point in the past. That lends itself to better judgement