Salzburgs young guns: Sesko and Adeyemi

didz

Looks like Adeyemi's gone Dortmund, just a sign we really have to be fast.
Andy Mitten suggests we're at least having conversations with prospective targets, so hopefully (hopefully!) we won't be starting the summer window at zero again.

Edit: Since this is a thread about Salzburg talents, has anyone seen much of Mo Camara? I though he was pretty impressive in their first leg against Bayern.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I rate Adeyemi super highly and would love to see him at United
Have you seen lots of him? From the glimpses I've seen in the UCL and for the German NT, I don't think he's very good. I think he's going to struggle for Dortmund (if the signing is confirmed).

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Both Sesko and Adeyemi joining Dortmund then?

Chairman Steve

I‘d rather have a player who wants to play for us, rather than a player who wants to get paid by us.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Both Sesko and Adeyemi joining Dortmund then?
There have been reports that Sesko's agent was present during Dortmund's last two home games and that Dortmund already have a 19 year old striker lined up for when Haaland activates his clause. But there hasn't been much reported beyond that and Dortmund have also been linked with Ekitike and Hlozek.

Poor underdog Leipzig humbly set up their farm teams across the world and then decadent Dortmund comes along and takes their players. It's just not right, FIFA should finally start to watch out for the little guys and do something about it.

Last edited:

jesperjaap

There have been reports that Sesko's agent was present during Dortmund's last two home games and that Dortmund already have a 19 year old striker lined up for when Haaland activates his clause. But there hasn't been much reported beyond that and Dortmund have also been linked with Ekitike and Hlozek.

Poor underdog Leipzig humbly set up their farm teams across the world and then decadent Dortmund comes along and takes their players. It's just not right, FIFA should finally start to watch out for the little guys and do something about it.
Seen Ekitike getting mentioned a bit more recently and people talkign of it being a gamble....which it is. But from the games I have seen him in, he has bags of raw ability, reminds me a little of a young Henry at monaco without the searing pace.

Think he could turn into a top player

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Seen Ekitike getting mentioned a bit more recently and people talkign of it being a gamble....which it is. But from the games I have seen him in, he has bags of raw ability, reminds me a little of a young Henry at monaco without the searing pace.

Think he could turn into a top player
All three of them look quite promising in their own way. Dortmund have a pretty good track record when sigining teenagers, so I don't really worry which player they pick in the end.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I really like the look of Benjamin Sesko and think he's a big talent. For a player that is 6'4, he's surprisingly very agile, pacy, athletic, and technically very good. He's also comfortable on either foot, as well as displaying very clever movement off the ball and also displaying a strong aerial game. He's a young striker that is the total package imo.

He's going to turn 19 at the end of this month but I feel whoever signs him won't regret it.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I really like the look of Benjamin Sesko and think he's a big talent. For a player that is 6'4, he's surprisingly very agile, pacy, athletic, and technically very good. He's also comfortable on either foot, as well as displaying very clever movement off the ball and also displaying a strong aerial game. He's a young striker that is the total package imo.

He's going to turn 19 at the end of this month but I feel whoever signs him won't regret it.
I do feel like this is the kind of player we could afford to bed in next season while Ronadlo plays half the games. Cheap. Already Has great attributes for the PL. I’m sick of letting Dortmund lease the players for a contract and then sell to us at 10 times the price. Whatever way you look at it they are getting the better deal. We need to majorly broaden our horizons if we want to corner talent early and cheaper

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I do feel like this is the kind of player we could afford to bed in next season while Ronadlo plays half the games. Cheap. Already Has great attributes for the PL. I’m sick of letting Dortmund lease the players for a contract and then sell to us at 10 times the price. Whatever way you look at it they are getting the better deal. We need to majorly broaden our horizons if we want to corner talent early and cheaper
He's definitely one of my favourite young players, and would be a excellent signing for us imo. But to sign a young player like him at his developmental stage, both the football department and the head coach need to be in-sync. And I don't believe that has been the case for us since Fergie retired.

Dortmund on the other hand have a football department and head coach who are in-sync with each other when it comes to developing talent. So a young hot prospect will inevitably see them as a better step in their development phase due to exposure at first team level both domestically and in the Champions league.

Hopefully things will start to change for us now we have a DoF/head coach approach.

Ali Dia

He's definitely one of my favourite young players, and would be a excellent signing for us imo. But to sign a young player like him at his developmental stage, both the football department and the head coach need to be in-sync. And I don't believe that has been the case for us since Fergie retired.

Dortmund on the other hand have a football department and head coach who are in-sync with each other when it comes to developing talent. So a young hot prospect will inevitably see them as a better step in their development phase due to exposure at first team level both domestically and in the Champions league.

Hopefully things will start to change for us now we have a DoF/head coach approach.
You know if Fergie was still here we’d have got Haaland and Bellingham and they would have played. It’s weird. We’ve become this club that is reliant on our academy players to such an extent that they can learn on the job and earn more than anywhere else (often to our detriment) in crucial positions but we seem to have a blind spot for cheaper players of the same age that are potentially much better. Rashford has tapered off into a Welbeck type player and there is talk of paying martial off to leave. The fact our managers/owners aren’t hands on or skilled enough and didnt catch the warning signs early mean this kind of thing kept and will probably happening to us. Hopefully it becomes a thing of the past soon.

SparkedIntoLife

Sesko has seemingly underwhelmed this season but there's still a lot of excitement around him. Salzburg will probably not be too reluctant to let him go, though, as they have Croatian/Italian youngster Roko Simic waiting in the wings after a fine season at Liefering (reserve team for Salzburg). I wouldn't be surprised if Simic ends up being even better.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You know if Fergie was still here we’d have got Haaland and Bellingham and they would have played. It’s weird. We’ve become this club that is reliant on our academy players to such an extent that they can learn on the job and earn more than anywhere else (often to our detriment) in crucial positions but we seem to have a blind spot for cheaper players of the same age that are potentially much better. Rashford has tapered off into a Welbeck type player and there is talk of paying martial off to leave. The fact our managers/owners aren’t hands on or skilled enough and didnt catch the warning signs early mean this kind of thing kept and will probably happening to us. Hopefully it becomes a thing of the past soon.
The chance to sign Haaland was when he was at Molde, and we did attempt to sign him according to reports but were a little late to the party and got beaten to the punch by Salzburg. I guess Florida was still not out of bed at the time, and the wait cost us.

Bellingham it was reported wanted assurances of first team football, and it was John Murtough they (players reps) were asking assurances off. And Murtough couldn't give assurances because it was the first team managers role to provide assurances due to him selecting/coaching the first team. And that was spun in the media as Murtough botching the deal due to him not providing assurances over game time.

I think our issue is a obvious one, and that is that we've been very poor in the transfer market. And with rival teams evolving into playing a brand of football that is high tempo, high octane with fast transitions etc, we've been left behind due to the profile of player we've targeted. And that has meant we've had to rely on some youth players that normally would never have got through as first team regulars. But it comes down to not having a football department with a figurehead to head the project and we instead had a CEO/manager structure and not a DoF/head coach structure, which has the potential of instilling a vision going forward.

Rangnick mentioned targeting players with mentality, quality, pace, skills, intensity etc (total package), and that's exactly what we haven't done and we now have a problem in the squad where we've saddled the squad with players who are either weak with the game played behind them, or weak with the game played in-front of them. And that's a big problem if the aim is to transition into a proactive/attacking team that wants to implement a high press, which will lead to playing the game in the opponents half. But to do that effectively, a team has to get to grips with controlling not just the offensive transition but also the defensive transition. And we can't control either because we've saddled the squad with players who are comfortable playing in a low/mid-block with safety in numbers imo. You can get away with a few players that don't tick most boxes as far as playing a proactive/attacking brand of football, and possibly make top 4. But it's extremely unlikely a team can challenge for the title against the current top two, with a team full of players who are weak at implementing a high tempo game style on the front foot.

And it all stems from the board selecting managers on the basis of their CVs/resume, and not on the basis of what they implement on the pitch. But what we should've done instead is to select a head coach on the basis of fulfilling the vision set by the DoF (football man). And it seems like we may have done that with Erik ten Hag. And that approach is proven around Europe to provide stability, which leads to success. And it also filters out the weaker players.

Last edited:

Ali Dia

The chance to sign Haaland was when he was at Molde, and we did attempt to sign him according to reports but were a little late to the party and got beaten to the punch by Salzburg. I guess Florida was still not out of bed at the time, and the wait cost us.

Bellingham it was reported wanted assurances of first team football, and it was John Murtough they (players reps) were asking assurances off. And Murtough couldn't give assurances because it was the first team managers role to provide assurances due to him selecting/coaching the first team. And that was spun in the media as Murtough botching the deal due to him not providing assurances over game time.

I think our issue is a obvious one, and that is that we've been very poor in the transfer market. And with rival teams evolving into playing a brand of football that is high tempo, high octane with fast transitions etc, we've been left behind due to the profile of player we've targeted. And that has meant we've had to rely on some youth players that normally would never have got through as first team regulars. But it comes down to not having a football department with a figurehead to head the project and we instead had a CEO/manager structure and not a DoF/head coach structure, which has the potential of instilling a vision going forward.

Rangnick mentioned targeting players with mentality, quality, pace, skills, intensity etc (total package), and that's exactly what we haven't done and we now have a problem in the squad where we've saddled the squad with players who are either weak with the game played behind them, or weak with the game played in-front of them. And that's a big problem if the aim is to transition into a proactive/attacking team that wants to implement a high press, which will lead to playing the game in the opponents half. But to do that effectively, a team has to get to grips with controlling not just the offensive transition but also the defensive transition. And we can't control either because we've saddled the squad with players who are comfortable playing in a low/mid-block with safety in numbers imo. You can get away with a few players that don't tick most boxes as far as playing a proactive/attacking brand of football, and possibly make top 4. But it's extremely unlikely a team can challenge for the title against the current top two, with a team full of players who are weak at implementing a high tempo game style on the front foot.

And it all stems from the board selecting managers on the basis of their CVs/resume, and not on the basis of what they implement on the pitch. But what we should've done instead is to select a head coach on the basis of fulfilling the vision set by the DoF (football man). And it seems like we may have done that with Erik ten Hag. And that approach is proven around Europe to provide stability, which leads to success. And it also filters out the weaker players.
Really good post. Making sense of the madness one post at a time :)

I agree with everything you’ve said there. The only way really is up. The problem is the other teams are so far ahead of us and they’ve set the bar so high that we could easily be another few years until we find the winning formula again and that’s not taking into account the fact that city or even Newcastle could still improve. Maybe Liverpool will keep up this recruitment hot streak. if we are being methodical and not just hoping for a quick fix then we are still very much working from the bottom up with so much work to do and probably a lot more mistakes to be made along the way. Hopefully at least it’ll become more interesting than it has been frustrating over the past 10 years.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Really good post. Making sense of the madness one post at a time :)

I agree with everything you’ve said there. The only way really is up. The problem is the other teams are so far ahead of us and they’ve set the bar so high that we could easily be another few years until we find the winning formula again and that’s not taking into account the fact that city or even Newcastle could still improve. Maybe Liverpool will keep up this recruitment hot streak. if we are being methodical and not just hoping for a quick fix then we are still very much working from the bottom up with so much work to do and probably a lot more mistakes to be made along the way. Hopefully at least it’ll become more interesting than it has been frustrating over the past 10 years.
I do agree with Rangnick when he says it will take about 2 or 3 windows. But in those three windows we need to sign players who fit the profile of player that has the mentality, quality, intensity, pace/physicality, skills (total package).

So in the next 3 windows, say we sign 7 first team players, then I believe we will be very close to challenging for the title if the above criteria is adhered to.

Ole said he wanted to press high, and proceeded to sign Maguire and AWB. And both of those players were not suited to playing in a team that harboured ambitions of playing a high risk brand of football, whilst leaving large spaces between the back-line and keeper. And as it transpired, we instead played the safety in numbers game against decent to good teams and ceded possession to the opposition. You can't evolve like that as a team when the aim was to play a proactive brand of football but instead we ended up playing a reactive brand of football after spending £130m. That's shocking..

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Why wouldn't they? Do they have other options.
It is a lot of money for a non Premiere League club and they probably need confirmation that Haaland is leaving and/or that they get a good fee for Akanji.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It is a lot of money for a non Premiere League club and they probably need confirmation that Haaland is leaving and/or that they get a good fee for Akanji.
Thanks, would be interesting to see if they open themselves up for a hijack.

L1nk

Yup, seems like Rangnick was driving the club to sign him but he wanted Dortmund.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m glad we at least tried.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I’m glad we at least tried.
Not sure if I missed sarcasm here but tbf to the club they tried to sign many young players. We failed to convince them as we were not good enough in the last 10 years, so we failed to convince the players. We messed up few from our end too.

Upamecano was all done and his agent changed everything in the last min saying club didn't agree to few of his terms.

We tried to sign Sancho but it was never going to happen.

We tried to sign Haaland and Ole even met him but he signed for Dortmund, same with Bellingham. Even SAF was involved but we failed again.

Shame as everyone of them are class players and cost so much now, and we are not even realistic destination for them.

slored1

I see all the Sesko mentions here and I'l repeat what I said before, he is incredibly raw. Has a long way to go before he's a top class striker.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not sure if I missed sarcasm here but tbf to the club they tried to sign many young players. We failed to convince them as we were not good enough in the last 10 years, so we failed to convince the players. We messed up few from our end too.

Upamecano was all done and his agent changed everything in the last min saying club didn't agree to few of his terms.

We tried to sign Sancho but it was never going to happen.

We tried to sign Haaland and Ole even met him but he signed for Dortmund, same with Bellingham. Even SAF was involved but we failed again.

Shame as everyone of them are class players and cost so much now, and we are not even realistic destination for them.
I was saying that I am pleased we are looking at what I consider to be the right player, as I’d been mentioning that I’d like us to sign him. We had barely been mentioned in connection to Adeyemi but at least it isn’t because we are not interested or aware. That alone is encouraging.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I was saying that I am pleased we are looking at what I consider to be the right player, as I’d been mentioning that I’d like us to sign him. We had barely been mentioned in connection to Adeyemi but at least it isn’t because we are not interested or aware. That alone is encouraging.
It's hard to say what goes on behind the scenes, but if you look at the beginning of the thread you can see that there were quite concrete reports as early as last October. And my personal guess would be that, since he's German, clubs like Bayern and Dortmund have been signaling their interest for years before that. If Rangnick was a driving factor here, then United might have tried to enter the race after it had already been over. For Sesko there are reports, too, that his agent attended some games in Dortmund. So even if a transfer may come too early this summer, the clubs are already building a relationship they can lean on for when he's ready.

Some players are more spontaneous than others, but for the ones that aren't you probably have to start your work way, way before they actually rise to a level where your head coach would start to consider them.

Rocknrolla69er

Interesting we've hired Rangnick as a consultant and he's already spoken of the need to find the next Haalands etc.

The guy will have a huge wealth of knowledge of players, stats etc I'm pretty sure he l know all about the upcoming talents and the no so spoken about talents. Pretty sure he l recommend a fair few to United too.

We've got rid of Woodward, Judge and 2 scouts and have rejigged our own system with new personnel.

Let's see what the summer brings before we tar them with the same brush as the last set of clowns.

I kinda trust Rangnick and Ten Haag to bring some good talent to Old Trafford

Can't wait

Resch

Tottenham tries to sign Sesko, offered 20 mill. €. I do not see him leaving this summer. But he is a type of striker, United should go for. He is not ready now, but he will be a 20+ goals striker next year. ,