Sam Johnstone | Villa loan watch

khoazany

Got an assist for Villa yesterday. Yeah you heard it right. Plus another clean sheet.

Alabaster Codify7

Glad he's doing well and hopefully he signs a permanent deal there. Jose probably prefers Joel Perreira as our token 'youth 3rd keeper' so it's best for Johnstone to develop at a well-regarded team like Villa.

Raw

6 clean sheets in the last 7 games for Villa too. Is it mostly down to him or are Villa generally quite defensive?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Glad he's doing well and hopefully he signs a permanent deal there. Jose probably prefers Joel Perreira as our token 'youth 3rd keeper' so it's best for Johnstone to develop at a well-regarded team like Villa.
Another loan that (might) comes good. What's the chance he can perform in PL team?

khoazany

6 clean sheets in the last 7 games for Villa too. Is it mostly down to him or are Villa generally quite defensive?
After yesterday, 7 clean sheets in the last 8 games after a 1-0 win against QPR (Sean Goss started for them).

lysglimt

Scout
Tom Heaton has played for England. Would you want to buy him back?
Johnstone is a much bigger talent than Heaton was - but yeah I genuinely believe he will ha a regular for a very good P.L side.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
He was good in the reserves, you could see he had talent, it will be interesting to see how far he can go, a regular starter in the PL isn't a huge stretch.

khoazany

SJ is a much better prospect with a higher ceiling.
This is an interesting comparison - Heaton left United permanently when he's 24 - roughly the same age as Johnstone is now. Regular game times developed him into an England international. With Johnstone, considering Butland and Pickford are the only 2 English keepers around his age with comparable talent I would say if he moves on this season he will have a good chance to break into the England squad at some point.

Last edited:

Heardy

I few Villa supporting mates are keen to at least have him for another season, but would be happy if the Villa bought him.

I think it would be a good deal for all parties.

izec

Yes. Pereira is the GK with more potential. It is time for Johnstone to play regularly for a club

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Yes. Pereira is the GK with more potential. It is time for Johnstone to play regularly for a club
Admittedly haven't watched the youth teams this season as much as prior but I thought Johnstone was more impressive out of the two.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Villa fans saying he's not better than Mark Bunn so selling him might be a blessing.

Nick7

Admittedly haven't watched the youth teams this season as much as prior but I thought Johnstone was more impressive out of the two.
Johnstone was the "better" of the two a couple of years back, but he's also 3 years older than Pereira.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Johnstone was the "better" of the two a couple of years back, but he's also 3 years older than Pereira.
Yeah, probably, not watched Pereira at all this season so I don't know if he's kicked on but didn't look the best Portuguese GK of his generation when I saw him previously, strong words from Mourinho. Surprised me.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Villa fans don't seem to rate him much.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Thought I liked the look of him until Pjanic pinged one over his head from the half way line in pre season :lol:

In all seriousness, doubt he will ever be our number 1 so let him make a permanent move to a decent club like Villa who will be back in the prem after next season with Bruce in charge and starting the full season.

khoazany

Thought I liked the look of him until Pjanic pinged one over his head from the half way line in pre season :lol:

In all seriousness, doubt he will ever be our number 1 so let him make a permanent move to a decent club like Villa who will be back in the prem after next season with Bruce in charge and starting the full season.
That was Amos no?

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Woops! My bad :lol: but yeah like I said he wont be first choice lets be honest so let him go early in his career.. works for everyone :)

Nick7

Villa fans don't seem to rate him much.
Not rating him is saying lightly. They hated him.after his first few games. Had no idea why Bruce got him in and got rid of Gollini.