Sam Kerr allegations - supporters twist themselves into knots

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I just dont think this case is worth the police time and public money on a 2 year investigation, court trial etc. I think there is a high chance this case gets thrown out before that point anyway, we shall see.
Ultimately I agree. She will probably get off as celebrities often do. And ultimately I don't think she should go to jail anyway for something she merely said, horrible as it was.

Withnail

The law doesn't make this distinction though. It doesn't specify that any particular race is exempt. So yes, calling someone a "white bastard" is the same as if she'd called someone a "black bastard" or "Asian bastard".
I never said it wasn't by the letter of the law but it's not equivalent in my view and I don't see it having the same impact.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Ultimately I agree. She will probably get off as celebrities often do. And ultimately I don't think she should go to jail anyway for something she merely said, horrible as it was.
I actually dont know what the maximum sentence for her alledged offence is, but it's unlikely she's going to jail even if found guilty.

And if she has puked in a taxi and then verbally abused a copper then I dont think she should go unpunished either, but a fine or community service is enough.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I never said it wasn't by the letter of the law but it's not equivalent in my view and I don't see it having the same impact.
Ah I see. Not the same impact to who? The white cop? I think you'd be wrong to assume white people aren't personally impacted by racial abuse. At the end of the day we're talking about individuals and a specific situation. I'm not sure why the entire history of colonialism, systemic racism or whatever else needs to be brought into the mix. Could I just go up to any Spanish or Japanese person and racially abuse them because their ancestors likely raped and killed my ancestors in the Philippines? No, I love visiting both Spain and Japan. :D

Last edited:

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I actually dont know what the maximum sentence for her alledged offence is, but it's unlikely she's going to jail even if found guilty.

And if she has puked in a taxi and then verbally abused a copper then I dont think she should go unpunished either, but a fine or community service is enough.
Not sure what it is either though I agree it will probably be minor. But it could affect her visa status in UK if she is found guilty of an offence, as I think she is on a temporary work visa. You can be deported if found guilty of a crime if not a citizen or permanent resident. Not that I think that will happen either, mind.

Think she should also be docked wages by Chelsea for putting her and the club's reputation into disrepute.

RedRocket08

He was charged with aggravated assault wasn’t he, and there was a lot of paper talk about this too. Punishing one major crime and not punishing another because the other one is a minor offence is also double standard?

We are talking about Sam here specifically because for starters this is a football forum, and also because she’s a national-level footballer who has allegedly behaved in a way that doesn’t represent good values - Kerr herself is widely celebrated in the country as a representative of the diversity that is synonymous with modern day Australia, and that’s a big reason for the attention this is getting.

This is not because it fits some kind of agenda made up by white people, although I’m sure plenty of far right elements will be adding fuel to this fire, same as those far-left elements.

Also, there have been many instances of media/public uproar around racist abuse hurled at indigenous Australians in sport both in and outside Australia - so I don’t see how this constitutes double standards?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
the amount of bad takes in this thread is frankly mental. won’t people think of the poor white people living in a predominantly white country! oh the horrors we face!

@Wibble is correct.
This is a ridiculous post, you’ve made yourself look a complete tool here mate. Nobody has said ‘poor white people’ but most that I’ve seen are arguing that racism is racism regardless of colour. You can’t prosecute for one and not the other, it is a dangerous double standard.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think you’re conflating two separate things. One, whether she should be punished for abusing a police officer in their line of work. I don’t think anyone would disagree with that. Two, whether she should be punished using some specific legislation intended to stamp out racism because she used the adjective “white” while abusing the police officer. Which a few people have taken issue with.
Exactly.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
He was charged with aggravated assault wasn’t he, and there was a lot of paper talk about this too. Punishing one major crime and not punishing another because the other one is a minor offence is also double standard?

We are talking about Sam here specifically because for starters this is a football forum, and also because she’s a national-level footballer who has allegedly behaved in a way that doesn’t represent good values - Kerr herself is widely celebrated in the country as a representative of the diversity that is synonymous with modern day Australia, and that’s a big reason for the attention this is getting.

This is not because it fits some kind of agenda made up by white people, although I’m sure plenty of far right elements will be adding fuel to this fire, same as those far-left elements.

Also, there have been many instances of media/public uproar around racist abuse hurled at indigenous Australians in sport both in and outside Australia - so I don’t see how this constitutes double standards?
I think you are wrong. There is far more being said via social media (this is social media) than was said about the issue of the kids tied up with cable ties.
Ths is a football forum with forums for current events and a host of other topics. Was there a thread for these first nation kids being cable tied on the caf?
With respect to the news coverage it was over in a couple of days.

stepic

This is a ridiculous post, you’ve made yourself look a complete tool here mate. Nobody has said ‘poor white people’ but most that I’ve seen are arguing that racism is racism regardless of colour. You can’t prosecute for one and not the other, it is a dangerous double standard.
Which is an incredibly dumb position to take - sorry

racism exists within a hierarchical structure with power at its core. it only works because one group has power and other groups do not. white people have historically held and continue to hold this power, particularly in a white European country that still largely privileges white people.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I think you are wrong. There is far more being said via social media (this is social media) than was said about the issue of the kids tied up with cable ties.
Ths is a football forum with forums for current events and a host of other topics. Was there a thread for these first nation kids being cable tied on the caf?
When a celebrity is involved it's always going to get more tongues wagging. Just how it is. No one would care this much if it was a lesser known Tilly but it's our star player. :(

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal

racism exists within a hierarchical structure with power at its core. it only works because one group has power and other groups do not. white people have historically held and continue to hold this power, particularly in a white European country that still largely privileges white people.
I really didn't know that so many people would be ok with white people being racially abused. News to me. As an Asian woman, I will try this next time I feel like behaving like a plonk. Let's see how far I get. :smirk:

Stack

When a celebrity is involved it's always going to get more tongues wagging. Just how it is. No one would care this much if it was a lesser known Tilly but it's our star player. :(
And what you have said right there is precisely the point that was made in the tweet.

More will be said about Sam Kerrs racist comment while drunk than will be said about the first nation kids being cabled tied.

Prove the tweeter wrong.

Plant0x84

At the end of the day we're talking about individuals and a specific situation. I'm not sure why the entire history of colonialism, systemic racism or whatever else needs to be brought into the mix.
Exactly this. Excellent post again.
The abuse of one white policeman obviously doesn’t equate to the suffering and enslavement and persecution over centuries of non-white ethnic minorities, but that doesn’t mean what is alleged to have been said wasn’t racist and it doesn’t mean It shouldn’t be prosecuted the same way.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
And of course it’s racist. Even though I agree it’s different and not as severe as it would be the other way around.
And I would also like to add that this is a rare case where Kerr has a serious „advantage“ in power, considering her celebrity status, compared to some dude who drives a cab.

HTG

Supports
Bayern

So can white people be victims of racist abuse in your opinion?

Doracle

The key question is presumably whether the words said actually caused alarm and distress, which is probably why they are trying to say she used the (never before used) phrase “stupid white PC”, to make it sound less aggressive.

If it does get over that barrier, the racially aggravated part seems a no brainer. There’s no other reason for her to refer to colour other than because that, to her, in her presumably inebriated state, was a key factor in the insulting language she was using.

Plant0x84

I think you’re conflating two separate things. One, whether she should be punished for abusing a police officer in their line of work. I don’t think anyone would disagree with that. Two, whether she should be punished using some specific legislation intended to stamp out racism because she used the adjective “white” while abusing the police officer. Which a few people have taken issue with.
White is a racial descriptor. The words ‘stupid’ and ‘bastard’ make it derogatory and insulting. It’s exactly equivalent to calling someone a ‘black bastard’ which is a widely acknowledged racist term. Therefore if that was the phrase used and it can be proven then of course it comes under the legislation covering racist acts.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
And what you have said right there is precisely the point that was made in the tweet.

More will be said about Sam Kerrs racist comment while drunk than will be said about the first nation kids being cabled tied.

Prove the tweeter wrong.
The tweeter though makes the point that Sam is a "woman of colour" which has nothing to do with why this story has blown up. It's blown up simply because she's Sam Kerr, Australian superstar. Not because of her race. I'm pretty sure if I, also a woman of colour, called a policeman a "white bastard" no one would give a crap if the cop then came after me.

Plant0x84

The key question is presumably whether the words said actually caused alarm and distress, which is probably why they are trying to say she used the (never before used) phrase “stupid white PC”, to make it sound less aggressive.

If it does get over that barrier, the racially aggravated part seems a no brainer. There’s no other reason for her to refer to colour other than because that, to her, in her presumably inebriated state, was a key factor in the insulting language she was using.
Maybe the police officer was wearing a white robe with a pointy hood. That would change the situation a little bit! :p

I agree entirely with your post by the way. Just being a bit silly.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Prove the tweeter wrong.
It’s a really stupid tweet though. They seem to be pointing out that bad stuff celebrities do gets talked about more than bad stuff non-celebrities do. Well, duh…

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
White is a racial descriptor. The words ‘stupid’ and ‘bastard’ make it derogatory and insulting. It’s exactly equivalent to calling someone a ‘black bastard’ which is a widely acknowledged racist term. Therefore if that was the phrase used and it can be proven then of course it comes under the legislation covering racist acts.
It’s not “exactly equivalent“, though, for obvious reasons, discussed in this thread.

RedRocket08

Of course there is far more being said about Kerr because she’s a high profile footballer and she has a huge national profile in Australia - it’s like comparing your average Joe in England vs Harry Kane doing something like this. John Terry actually went through this too right.

Another comparison to that maybe: There was a crazy amount of coverage around sandpaper-gate with the Aussie cricket for example but that would not be the case if that happened in your average county cricket game.

What I’m trying to say is that that’s not due to some double standard around the race of the perpetrator, rather due to the public profile of the person involved. A double standard here imo would be if the cops in that instance let that man get away with it because he was white - which they didn’t do.

As for no thread for FN kids being tied up on Redcafe - If someone wanted to talk about it, they can but you’d have better luck talking about something like this on say Reddit which is a more general forum. There are just not enough of us Australian United fans on this forum to start that topic imo. But pretty much everybody here knows who Sam Kerr is, so it gains traction.

Also worth noting that the twitter poster there is a former politician who regularly says stuff like this to gain political mileage - she says a lot of what she says for a reason and that’s not necessarily to achieve racial harmony.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive

Prove the tweeter wrong.
That’s just the media though isn’t it? Happens literally every single day. You’d be amazed what doesn’t make the news.

GiveItToGi...nowait

Skin colour either matters or it doesn't, nutters in this thread wanting a multi-tiered justice system should be careful what they wish for.

Stack

The tweeter though makes the point that Sam is a "woman of colour" which has nothing to do with why this story has blown up. It's blown up simply because she's Sam Kerr, Australian superstar. Not because of her race. I'm pretty sure if I, also a woman of colour, called a policeman a "white bastard" no one would give a crap if the cop then came after me.
Bollocks. the women of colour thing is a major part of why its blown up. Sure her celebrity matters and thats why the women of colour thing has come into focus. Social media is having a field day with all the absolute racist shitbags making use of this as a way to excuse their own bullshit.
Dont get me wrong, she is in the wrong here but that tweet as far as Im concerned was right on the money. Those same racist shitbags currently making massive mileage out of Sam kerrs racist comment were dead silent about the kids being cable tied.

Sam is wrong in what she said
That tweet was exactly right about what they said.

Doracle

It’s not “exactly equivalent“, though, for obvious reasons, discussed in this thread.
If I understand your position correctly, you don’t think a black person beating up a white person whilst shouting “you white bastard” should be treated as racially aggravated? Good luck with that argument.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Bollocks. the women of colour thing is a major part of why its blown up. Sure her celebrity matters and thats why the women of colour thing has come into focus. Social media is having a field day with all the absolute racist shitbags making use of this as a way to excuse their own bullshit.
Dont get me wrong, she is in the wrong here but that tweet as far as Im concerned was right on the money. Those same racist shitbags currently making massive mileage out of Sam kerrs racist comment were dead silent about the kids being cable tied.

Sam is wrong in what she said
That tweet was exactly right about what they said.
I confess I don't know what you're talking about regarding the other case and what is happening on social media about it, so can't really comment further. Though I can't see why that's been brought up in Sam's case as they're nothing remotely alike.

I agree Sam is in the wrong, completely. I hope she doesn't skimp on her legal team.

Stack

Of course there is far more being said about Kerr because she’s a high profile footballer and she has a huge national profile in Australia - it’s like comparing your average Joe in England vs Harry Kane doing something like this. John Terry actually went through this too right.

Another comparison to that maybe: There was a crazy amount of coverage around sandpaper-gate with the Aussie cricket for example but that would not be the case if that happened in your average county cricket game.

What I’m trying to say is that that’s not due to some double standard around the race of the perpetrator, rather due to the public profile of the person involved. A double standard here imo would be if the cops in that instance let that man get away with it because he was white - which they didn’t do.

Also worth noting that the twitter poster there is a former politician who regularly says stuff like this to gain political mileage - she says a lot of what she says for a reason and that’s not necessarily to achieve racial harmony.
The celebrity side meaning it gets more coverage is absolutely right but the women of colour aspect has been latched onto on social media by racist shit bags to allow them to gain some mileage and justify their own bullshit. Right now social media is full of those racist shitbags having a feild day.
The tweeters point still stands and its exactly on point.

SER19

ah, good old false equivalence. ignoring that the man has been arrested, charged, condemned by high level politicians and the story being reported on the other side of the world - the 'woman of colour' is also famous. We live in an age where kim kardashian having a label still on her dress made the top stories on sky news and we're supposed to what? pretend that any perceived disproportionate amount of coverage is due to skin colour and not one being a famous person and national team captain? where do we go from here, let some right winger find a story of a woman of colour abusing her kids that didnt even make the news? millions upon millions of truly detestable acts happen every day and 99% dont even get a column inch regardless of who did them.

I utterly detest this invented outrage nonsense. its either offensively stupid, or willfully dishonest.