Samuel Luckhurst - Should he be fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EyeInTheSky

Do some of you lot even know what racism is? Disgusting how such an important issue is being trivialized by butt-hurt transfer muppets.

I also don't understand why foreign or out-of-town fans are getting so upset by his comments - because let's be honest most of us support United because of their success and nothing else. Manchester United will always belong more to the people from Manchester. The hint is in the name.
Please tell us your definition of racism and why you are the authority on what it means.

VP

The reason has everything to do with them as individuals and nothing to do with United's success. No matter how obvious you believe your point is, it's still wrong. It's not a question of insecurity either, not sure why you'd think that. You made a point which I completely disagree with and I pointed it out.

Anyways, I'll end this discussion here because it's been done to death on the Caf and I've always found it downright strange how people think they're in any position to all to comment on why a stranger on the Internet supports a particular club or the reasons behind it. Just smacks of ignorance and arrogance mixed with a failure to see the full picture to me.
If you say so but you are an exception then - it's clearly not the norm. Most start supporting United because of their success. Don't think it's arrogance - just the truth, like united playing in red.

VP

Please tell us your definition of racism and why you are the authority on what it means.
Racism is discrimination or abuse based on race - definitely not observing that the front row of OT had a few East Asians sitting there.

I have no authority just common sense. Where is your authority coming from?

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
If you say so but you are an exception then - it's clearly not the norm. Most start supporting United because of their success. Don't think it's arrogance - just the truth, like united playing in red.
I started supporting United because of their success. May not be true for another OOT, but so what? Why is this relevant?

Racism is discrimination or abuse based on race - definitely not observing that the front row of OT had a few East Asians sitting there.

The tweet didn't say 'Oh look, Asian fans on the first row.. Hey you guys'...

Infra-red

Luckhurst did actually respond to some of this, on the evening it all kicked off, via his FB page. Couple of days ago, but doesn't appear to have been posted yet:

Posting this on here, mainly because it allows me to go beyond 140 characters but also due to the better etiquette and friendlier feel in light of some of the grief I've had on Twitter over posts and tweets about Fabinho.

Journalists in different countries provide different information and the M.E.N.'s James Robson wrote earlier this month United would not pursue Fabinho, which tallied with my own understanding that he is not one of the defensive midfielders under consideration. Personally, I think he'd be a superb and ideal addition for United, but it's besides the point.

Disinformation occurs in football (Tim Sherwood fabricated United's interest in Christian Benteke to smoke out Liverpool, for example) and Mourinho alluded to it sympathetically last season during one of his press conferences. Spin and face-saving are also heavily used by clubs and two such examples regarding United were their reasons behind not signing Renato Sanches and Antoine Griezmann. The lines get blurred, especially on Twitter.

Our stance on Fabinho, due to his popularity and recent encouraging reports surrounding a possible move to United, has led to some hostile feedback on Twitter and, foolishly, I bit back a few times and that has escalated. I was informed about the stick I was getting long after I'd turned my notifications off by some vigilant followers!

Regarding the use of the word 'fanboy' which has vexed some obsessive characters, it's essentially a footballing euphemism for 'troll'. It does not apply to fans who don't go to games or who can't afford to go to games, which should not even be a constraint in modern football. The M.E.N. might be a local 'paper but, with nearly six million Facebook followers, its demographic is worldwide and there is enormous enthusiasm for United. The following on my own personal page is diverse and I'm grateful for the interest and the interaction. It's considered, pleasant and I actually enjoy doing Facebook Lives on here.

Unfortunately, there is a minority of Twitter users, usually operating via a pseudonym and behind a faceless avatar, who are patronising and spiteful trolls who wouldn't dare act that way in real life. Some have even brought my family members into it when they are not even on Twitter.

Again, though, they're a minority and it's unfortunate that some of the trolls have whipped up the fallacy that all United fans are somehow 'fanboys'. It's inexplicable, but that's Twitter and some who have already messaged me on here, incandescent at my tweets, have allowed me to provided greater context and were grateful. One of them actually called me a 'c**t' at first but at least he was big enough to do it through his actual profile, so he deserved an informed reply.

Apologies for the lengthy post and hope this clears up any confusion that might have lingered.

He then responded to some of the comments/questions following his statement:

We've always stressed that Matic wants to come and has verbally agreed terms but a transfer fee has never been agreed. Our latest info on Fabinho was there was no interest. Things, of course, can change drastically (eg. Falcao/Martial signing suddenly).
We have reported faithfully on Matic and Fabinho.
I get disparaging remarks for doing my job and some are now trying to portray me as a racist and photoshopping tweets. It's happened before when I posted news which was unpopular.
I have been defensive against those who tweet in a hostile manner. It's clear silence is the best response and I don't intend to engage with users on Twitter anymore because there is too much hate. I get much worse abuse than 'fanboy' or 'moron' or 'troll'.
I'll never understand the mentality of people finding online bickering entertaining but agree I didn't help myself.
I'm not sure which tweet you are referring to, but one is a complete fabrication and, as I said to someone else, it is not the first time it has happened to me. It's also happened to a colleague as well and I have seen how upsetting it can be for others to deal with. How thin someone's skin is is immaterial. Such nastiness is utterly uncalled for.
I just don't see the need for nastiness, attempts to get me sacked or getting personal on the weekend anniversary of a family death.

EyeInTheSky

There's no birthright nor are they necessarily better fans but it's more likely they'll have a connection with the club as a Mancunian that OOTers will never have.
Amazing that this needs to be said. The clue is in the "M" of the MUFC. I'm not mancunian and will never have the same connection with the club as local fans. C'est la vie. I made my peace with this fact a long time ago. I'd suggest every other OOT fan does the same.
Do you disagree with my post? Surely I'm just stating the bleeding obvious?`
This is a diversion from the crux of the matter. Having already been shown how he has clearly demonstrated time and time again that he has a problem with Asians or "Foreigners" as he perceives them you decided to create a straw man by claiming that he only wants "Mancunians fans" to support the club. Well I guess he does not realise that Manchester does have Asians born and living in it alongside other races who are not "Foreigners" (as if being foreign is a bad thing)

He is an utter cretin who should realise that the very reason that United are where they are and are able to be the Globa powerhouse that it is has everything to do with the fact that it has Global/Foreign support both in financial/sponsorship via fans across the world.
Yeah, that wasn't me. If you're going to throw round accusations of creating straw men you should at least address them to the right person. Fairly sure Luckhurst isn't actually mancunian anyway. Didn't someone say he was originally from Kent?
Oh, but you did...You have been arguing it as well. You have turned the narrative to be about how it's about locals will always feel closer to the club when that was never the argument, to begin with. There is your straw man.

The irony is the fact that he is from Kent and makes those hypocritical comments only aimed at Asians or "Foreigners" makes it even worse for your argument...

I think this is also what @fishfingers15 @7even have been getting at unless I am mistaken. Let's get back to the core argument regarding the original point of this thread and just answer the questions plainly rather than a facile attempt at diverting the attention away from his clear statements into something unrelated like how non-manchester residents will feel closer to the club...

EyeInTheSky

no, you are the one saying people don't know racism is...

And if you don't see the discrimination in those tweets then you are either deluded or kidding yourself

And the part in bold is just utterly pathetic, not only do you not include all the quotes but the one you do is a twisting of it "Observing east Asians" utter garbage pal. Also, how do you explain your way out of "Idiot Asian fan" and talking about them being "Suspicious". I suppose you think that Racism does not exist and its just a word the "PC police" band about? Taking another example using your logic calling someone a racist word is merely someone stating that a person belongs to a certain ethnic background...

I'm going to leave you to your self-delusion.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Going by Luckhurst's logic, aren't non Mancunian British fans of Utd bigger 'fanboys'. Those guys had a club to support in their city, possibly a PL club, but chose United, with the most likely reason having been trophies. Its a dangerous assumption as I'd say the non Mancunian regular match goers are possibly our biggest fans as they have a 200 mile journey on a weekly basis.
Additioally, didn't we used to have around 6-7 Sikh guys who used to be OT regulars and always occupied the first row. They are of Asian descent- fanboys? No. I'm not saying all our foreign fans are loyal as feck, but why generalise it to all fans. As a 'journalist', he should e knowing better.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Do you disagree with my post? Surely I'm just stating the bleeding obvious?`
No you don't stating "the bleeding obvious".

You're an excellent poster but you also know how to move focus away from the original subject. Politicians often do this and in the end nobody knows what they are discussing. That's why this discussion drifted to disappointed "fanboys, local lads, top reds and so on. And recently I see Luckhurst using his FB to do a classic damage control. Nice try from all of you.

Secondly. Do you really think that all of us was upset because one journalist says that Fabinho wasn't on the clubs priority list. The thing that you deliberately, or by accident, started to comment about other things then the original subject made me comment about you betting on the wrong horse. Going by your previous history as a member on the Redcafe I thought you where either trolling or wanted to be a opportunist. But you continued. That surprised me.

Samuel Luckhurst made a fool of himself. Xenophobic comments. Patronizing. Using words like "fanboy" and refer to supporters as "Asians" His previous tweets suggest that this wasn't the first time. As a professional journalist you must do better then this, otherwise your readers will shot you down. Claiming he's followed by trolls or haters isn't an excuse. As a public person you have to have a thicker skin then average Joe. If someone steps over the line then report it to the police.

Anyway. We all do mistakes. Let's hope Luckhurst learns from this. But if he continues then sooner or later he will pay the price. Regarding you Pogue. Probably a bit unlucky, you messed up the wrong people. But shit happens, tomorrow we discuss another subjects. Btw. Matic looked class on YT, I didn't remember him that good...

Sylar

Quite funny, but he published an article which was a translation of Anderson talking about Moscow and being nervous. Problem is he basically just stole somebody elses work and didnt even give them credit (havent checked to see if hes changed this)

Also he wrote an 'article' based on Morata GF social media activity.

Hes not a journalist, hes a blogger.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Credit to the guy. Has been spot on this summer.

el3mel

He has been getting it right since last summer tbh. He got Matic signing right and this season broke the Fred links if I remember correctly. I won't say he's the best reliable, but at least is turning out to be someone I can read what he's saying.

Paxi

Little early in the summer to be bringing out the bunting for him
Not really... He has been good since the last summer -- when we were all giving him pelters. So like if we can abuse him, it's only right to credit him when he's been doing his job.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
In fairness, is it hard for a journalist to bank on Fred in his articles after Shaktar themselves said 2 months ago "Fred is leaving in July and it will be to Manchester" ?

Yeah he got Fred right. So did most after that statement.

Paxi

I'm sure this is of significant comfort to Gary Speed's family.... or did I totally misread the first page of this thread?
I didn't say he's not a fecking whack-a-do!! :lol:

I just meant that he's been right with Fabinho, Lukaku, Fred and some other stuff I can't remember etc.

Paxi

In fairness, is it hard for a journalist to bank on Fred in his articles after Shaktar themselves said 2 months ago "Fred is leaving in July and it will be to Manchester" ?

Yeah he got Fred right. So did most after that statement.
I actually can't believe I'm defending him but he said yesterday or day before that the deal was close. And today it looks like it's done. He was adamant that we weren't in for Fabinho. I seem to recall him being certain that it was Lukaku we were after and not Morata, although who knows what happened with Morata. Anyway, I said my piece -- I'm out.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I actually can't believe I'm defending him but he said yesterday or day before that the deal was close. And today it looks like it's done. He was adamant that we weren't in for Fabinho. I seem to recall him being certain that it was Lukaku we were after and not Morata, although who knows what happened with the last Morata. Anyway, I said my piece -- I'm out.
He's gained credibility in transfers. I can't deny that. But he's also a cnut.

cyberman

Strange thread to be giving credit to him!
Isn't this a Castles story? He called Fred and Sandro months ago

Acole9

Outstanding
Up there alongside Di Marzio, the chap from BBC and Balague.

CA1

I think I know where Samuel Luckhurst gets his information from.

And it's definitley worth a listen.

You don't have to like the guy, his journalistic style or his opinion on United but he's worth a listen I wager on general gossip.

Castles is the same.

Simon Stone also definitley seems like the new person to brief to. I don't think he comes out with much unless it's official or straight word from the club so maybe not great for gossip. There's something up on the BBC about Fred and Alderweireld. That's when you know we're confident.

T A

Are we still talking about the same Luckhurst who spent the whole last summer insisting on imminent arrivals of Griezmann, Bakayoko, Marquinhos? Even James Robson is more reliable than him in M.E.N

Boycott

Where is Dean Henderson born?

30 seconds on wikipedia shows Whitehaven, in Cumbria.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Definitely born in Cumbria. I played against him a few times and he came through the Carlisle academy before being snapped up by United when he was around 13.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
He’s clearly referencing Newcastle fans wearing actual tea towels. People really need to pick up the context when trying to cancel someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.