Samuel Luckhurst - Should he be fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He lost all respect when during LVG's second season, he started writing those opinion articles about why we should hire Mou, and what Mou would bring to the table and how LVG is pointless and clueless. While most of our fans wanted him gone, including me, it's just not fair from a journalist to add pressure on the manager by writing pointless unnecessary articles

NYAS

Should be fired because he's shite at his job, more than anything. Didn't know we had so many mums and dads on here so worried for his livelihood. He's responsible for his actions, be it idiotic articles or xenophobic tweets. He's a fecking grown up, maybe not mentally but certainly age-wise.

Don't worry about his career, what he does determines that, not random Caf posters.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
He'll end up being fired alright - right into The Sun.

Kag

Well that's not really the point of the thread, perhaps you should read it first before calling everyone in it with a different view to you pathetic. The grievance isn't with him claiming we aren't in for Fabinho.
Well, it was. Those deranged individuals have since moved the goalposts to some equally reaching accusations of xenophobia and (astoundingly) racism. This is only because some of the normal human beings on this forum have found it very strange that people are taking the tweets of a MEN football writer (who is actually a proper person behind his Twitter feed and job title) so bloody seriously. So much so they would like to see him lose his livelihood. He's not the fecking Prime Minister.

This thread was stemmed from Fabinho and the OP should probably consider heading out into the real world. Go to the gym, or for a pint with mates, or play golf. Get away from making a show yourself on an Internet forum. Something like that.

Kag

I wouldn't like to be a sports journalist in the current climate. Reporters are now duty bound to post their news on social media. It's now written into the person spec of any advertised role. I can see talented writers being put off from pursuing a career in media because many of the people posting on mediums like Twitter and Facebook have serious problems.

Of course, it works both ways, and many journalists thrive off the notoriety their online presence grants them, but I sure as hell wouldn't fancy regular abuse for the sake of less than £20k per year, or whatever on earth junior reporters are now being paid. I wouldn't fancy it if I were an editor, either.

Landing a reporting job at any newspaper is a fantastic opportunity, but there's such contempt for many of these people, sometimes very undeserved.

Djemba-Djemba

He lost all respect when during LVG's second season, he started writing those opinion articles about why we should hire Mou, and what Mou would bring to the table and how LVG is pointless and clueless. While most of our fans wanted him gone, including me, it's just not fair from a journalist to add pressure on the manager by writing pointless unnecessary articles
Wait is this for real?

You lost respect for him when he stated his opinion in an opinion article? Even though as you acknowledge it was an opinion that most utd fans agreed with and shared?

That's bonkers. This whole thread is bonkers.

anant

Wait is this for real?

You lost respect for him when he stated his opinion in an opinion article? Even though as you acknowledge it was an opinion that most utd fans agreed with and shared?

That's bonkers. This whole thread is bonkers.
Opining about anything is fine as long as one is reasonable about what they are wishing for. No journalist should be blatantly biased IMO, like Luckhurst was. He was to Mou what Piers Morgan is to Trump right now: A PR agent.
Additionally, he was being overly pessimistic. Beat Midtjylland 5-0 or 5-1 and instead of raving about team's performance, it was like basically how LVG survived one more round. Reach FA Cuo finals, and it was how Martial delayed the inevitable.
A journalist's job needs to state facts, and if they are opinion articles, discuss style of play, tactics, team shape , and all that but not how he'd be sacked and just listing down names. No journalist did that as an opinion article- don't think not even during Moyes' tenure and not now in Wenger's last season

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I wouldn't like to be a sports journalist in the current climate. Reporters are now duty bound to post their news on social media. It's now written into the person spec of any advertised role. I can see talented writers being put off from pursuing a career in media because many of the people posting on mediums like Twitter and Facebook have serious problems.

Of course, it works both ways, and many journalists thrive off the notoriety their online presence grants them, but I sure as hell wouldn't fancy regular abuse for the sake of less than £20k per year, or whatever on earth junior reporters are now being paid. I wouldn't fancy it if I were an editor, either.

Landing a reporting job at any newspaper is a fantastic opportunity, but there's such contempt for many of these people, sometimes very undeserved.
I've dealt with journalists, in the video game industry. Some are really talented, some not so much.

But I always said then, before facebook and twitter and all that, that if you are good at your job you'll make it without all the sucking up and buying reviews and all that shit. It's no different these days, if you are a click-bait merchant or one of those 'controversial' for the sake of it types, then one day you will be found out.

I've no sympathy for this dick, because he's just a flash type in the right place at the right time. He has no real talent. He is unable to write an article properly, he can not invoke feelings in his work. He's a hack who shouldn't be earning money doing this, when there are so many people much better suited to this job than him. BUT that being said, a twitter rampage is certainly not the way to do this, I really can't see much in this instance at all. I think people jumped on him for one article, now are digging up the past without any real point to what he said apart from vague racist or xenophobic claims. He's an idiot and the best way to deal with it is to ignore him and focus energy on much worse characters. Because, and you can bet your life on this, the attention he is receiving really isn't hurting him or the place he works for. I bet they are loving this right now.

Akshay

Staff
Opining about anything is fine as long as one is reasonable about what they are wishing for. No journalist should be blatantly biased IMO, like Luckhurst was. He was to Mou what Piers Morgan is to Trump right now: A PR agent.
Additionally, he was being overly pessimistic. Beat Midtjylland 5-0 or 5-1 and instead of raving about team's performance, it was like basically how LVG survived one more round. Reach FA Cuo finals, and it was how Martial delayed the inevitable.
A journalist's job needs to state facts, and if they are opinion articles, discuss style of play, tactics, team shape , and all that but not how he'd be sacked and just listing down names. No journalist did that as an opinion article- don't think not even during Moyes' tenure and not now in Wenger's last season
I'd say Duncan Castles is worse in that regard. A lot of journalists play favorites nowadays, whether its with managers or players. There are barely any sports journalists worth reading.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If we don't sign someone next week, we should definitely continue this pathetic rant against a journalist in frustration :lol:

anant

I'd say Duncan Castles is worse in that regard. A lot of journalists play favorites nowadays, whether its with managers or players. There are barely any sports journalists worth reading.
Definitely agree that Castles is worse when it comes to picking favourites, but I doubt he wrote daily opinion articles on one single topic!
Although find Guardian's articles pretty good. A bit colourful, informative and while they use 10 words where 2 are enough, there is something about their articles that wants you to read more.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Castles is the most ludicrous bloke ever.
Absolutely hated us, every single article a negative. Mourinho on board, and suddenly everything is super rosy

Akshay

Staff
Definitely agree that Castles is worse when it comes to picking favourites, but I doubt he wrote daily opinion articles on one single topic!
Although find Guardian's articles pretty good. A bit colourful, informative and while they use 10 words where 2 are enough, there is something about their articles that wants you to read more.
Yeah, that's true actually, I don't remember reading anything on the Guardian that wasn't informative.

Some journalists clearly had a bee in their bonnet about LVG probably due to his dismissive fashion of handling their questions. Being a foreigner and playing a style of football most fans loathed didn't help.

OL29

Well, it was. Those deranged individuals have since moved the goalposts to some equally reaching accusations of xenophobia and (astoundingly) racism. This is only because some of the normal human beings on this forum have found it very strange that people are taking the tweets of a MEN football writer (who is actually a proper person behind his Twitter feed and job title) so bloody seriously. So much so they would like to see him lose his livelihood. He's not the fecking Prime Minister.

This thread was stemmed from Fabinho and the OP should probably consider heading out into the real world. Go to the gym, or for a pint with mates, or play golf. Get away from making a show yourself on an Internet forum. Something like that.
The thread starter created this thread because of the nature of his tweets. They've been deleted but it was about old tweets that people deemed to be offensive. Whether or not you believe them to be offensive is your call but saying that the goalposts have been moved to xenephobia/racism isn't true because that's what he was discussing in the OP. I don't even think he mentioned the Fabinho article. I doubt anyone cares about that, even though I imagine whoever dug out his old tweets did so in response to said article.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The thread starter created this thread because of the nature of his tweets. They've been deleted but it was about old tweets that people deemed to be offensive. Whether or not you believe them to be offensive is your call but saying that the goalposts have been moved to xenephobia/racism isn't true because that's what he was discussing in the OP. I don't even think he mentioned the Fabinho article. I doubt anyone cares about that, even though I imagine whoever dug out his old tweets did so in response to said article.
The OP literally talks about the "bullshit" Fabinho article in the first line.

OL29

The OP literally talks about the "bullshit" Fabinho article in the first line.
Yeah you're right, I missed that. I don't think that's what his issue was though, I think he's just explaining why people dragged up his tweets.

InfiniteBoredom

Sport journalism is an oxymoron. What they are is rumours mongers and bullshitters, and it's a good thing they are dying off.

What this thread has shown, however, is people have too much time on their hands. Who gives a shit what a no mark 'journalist' with O level writing skill writes on twitter, let alone get outraged over it.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Having affection for opposition players is weird. Respecting their ability or liking how they play is one thing but having genuine affection for some Bayern player is bizarre. As a football supporter I admire hundreds of players around the world but I don't actually feel affection for any of them unless they've played for United or Ireland. There's no connection.

The BFS love from United supporters is a perfect example. The man came to United on huge money and clearly treated the whole thing as a bit of fun. Gained weight, followed his girlfriend around the tennis tour and as Pogue pointed out did basically nothing for the club on the pitch. Yet he was treated like a god by supporters. Lingard's an average player but he's done a lot more for us and cared a lot more about the club than Bastian. It would make a lot more sense for people to feel some affection for him than some mercenary who came to the club for an easy payday.
Victor Valdez was another one. Reading United fans talking about what we owed Valdez and BFS because of things they did for other clubs was very weird.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
The OP literally says it stemmed from that.
sorry but it still sounds like you made this thread due to being butthurt because a journo wrote an article saying we were not going to sign Fabinho (looks like he might be right about that)

The tweets you posted in your OP yesterday (Evra and Speed) were both 100% out of context and you have been scrambling around ever since trying to justify wanting him sacked

The Muamba tweet makes him sound like a cnut, but he is definately not the only one to have a similar sentiment

Status
Not open for further replies.