Samuel Luckhurst : United Looking to sign two players in january

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho wants to sign two players in the January transferwindow.

M.E.N. Sport understands Mourinho is keen on signing a central midfielder and a winger, with the club interested in Bordeaux's Brazilian Malcom.

Mourinho believes Malcom, 20, could provide the 'missing piece' in United's attack despite his rawness. Malcom has scored seven goals in 18 appearances for 15th-placed Ligue 1 side Bordeaux and Mourinho would want an additional attacker in the summer to alleviate pressure on Malcom.
More-

Looks like we will be signing Malcom as duncan has said the same, Duncan says we will sign atleast one player and will try for 3(Midfield/left back being other two positions). Looks like the brief from club has been made on what we want.

Jaybomb

David Luiz, Perisic and Alex Sandro I’m hoping for.

Never saw this Malcom kid.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I hope we get Giggs suggested signings. In 4 years time he will come out with a list he produced 4 years before were it clearly showed that he nailed it.

Axkiko

Didn't watch much of Malcom, but really happy to see we are focusing on that area.

What about Alex Sandro? There's a lot of rumours told he wants to leave in January. Also, we should focus on the right back position instead of central midfielder. Valencia got hamstring injury and Darmian is not reliable anymore. Central midfield should be okay as Felliaini and Carrick will come back on early 2018

Jaybomb

We need more quality in the side. On paper it pales in comparison to City’s side. Mourinho is doing extremely well to be 2nd with the likes of Smalling, Young, Jones, Lingard and others starting virtually every game.

Luiz would be a big boost for the team. Knows Mourinho and was a key factor in Chelsea winning the title last year. If we persist with a 343, then I think it would be a big mistake to let somebody like Madrid or Barca have him instead.

crossy1686

career ending
Didn't watch much of Malcom, but really happy to see we are focusing on that area.

What about Alex Sandro? There's a lot of rumours told he wants to leave in January. Also, we should focus on the right back position instead of central midfielder. Valencia got hamstring injury and Darmian is not reliable anymore. Central midfield should be okay as Felliaini and Carrick will come back on early 2018
Lindlöf can play right back if necessary. I'd even give Young a run out there before playing Darmian again. We need more quality in the middle of the park so when the ball comes forward we don't keep turning over possession and inviting pressure.

Axkiko

Lindlöf can play right back if necessary. I'd even give Young a run out there before playing Darmian again. We need more quality in the middle of the park so when the ball comes forward we don't keep turning over possession and inviting pressure.
I agreed some guy could fills the place when Valencia injuring. We might call back Fosu-Mensah as well. But we need to find a right back sooner or later as Valencia is 32 already.

I believe Serge Milinkovic-Savic is the top target of central midfielder but Lazio already said they won't sell in January. Is there any other midfielder available now? Fabinho?

prateik

Bordeaux ... hope this guy is better than the last "raw" winger we signed from them.

Mcking

We need more quality in the side. On paper it pales in comparison to City’s side. Mourinho is doing extremely well to be 2nd with the likes of Smalling, Young, Jones, Lingard and others starting virtually every game.

Luiz would be a big boost for the team. Knows Mourinho and was a key factor in Chelsea winning the title last year. If we persist with a 343, then I think it would be a big mistake to let somebody like Madrid or Barca have him instead.
You really think City's CBs are better than ours?

Devil may care

I would have thought fullback was the key spot to recruit in with the injury to Tony and fact Darmian and Blind aren't good enough. Sandro was my hope for this window. Not keen on Malcom, as for the CM, I have read Goretzka, Kovacic and SMS mentioned, but hard to see any of them moving in a January, Kovacic the likliest but Real would make it impossible for us in a January window I think.

Ban

David Luiz. :lol:

CBs are the least of our problems and even if they were David Luiz wouldn' solve it.

Rossa

Yes yes, we need more quality, but why Luiz? He isn't better than what we have.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I have a feeling it might be more than 2 players.

Sandro, Malcom, a midfielder and maybe Ozil (if not then we'll try to get Ozil in the summer for free). Although with Luke Shaw's and Ashley Young's form, I think we can hold back on the LB spot for now and re-evaluate again come the summer.

redom

I'd like to see an established player come in, especially in attack. We have good young talent in Martial and Rashford but we need someone we can look to for performances week in week out and that's rare for young players to deliver. I know it's become tiresome with all the comparisons to City but if you look at their most consistent players it's the likes of De Bruyne, Silva, Fernandinho, even someone like Sterling who's reaching that stage of his career, then they have the younger talents feeding off that consistency, we could to with someone who we could look to most weeks to put in a good performance seen as though we haven't got it from Mkhi and, to a lesser extent, Mata.

Kostov

When you put Smalling and Jones in there do you have in mind Rojo also? He's been garbage in the last few games.

Micky Targaryen

Do we usually sign the players that we 'briefed' to the press? I'm guessing it's a smokescreen.

Hoping that it will be Sandro, Fabinho and Malcom.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I'm more interested in the outgoings than the incomings at this moment in time. We have so much filler in our squad at the moment it's untrue.

Has to be a massive January/Summer turnaround for us to really kick on. We need to have 2 really strong XIs to compete at the top table.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
David Luiz, Perisic and Alex Sandro I’m hoping for.

Never saw this Malcom kid.
Luiz ffs :lol:
CB is the last spot we need to upgrade now. Could always use more quality in any area, but have to prioritize certain positions as money is not unlimited.

Perisic ship has probably sailed too. RW more important than LW/LWB.

pascell

Do we usually sign the players that we 'briefed' to the press? I'm guessing it's a smokescreen.

We won't be messing around in Jaunuary and waiting until the 30th/31st to do our deals, they'll be done within the first week or loose ends tied up at the beginning of the second. No way Jose makes last minute signings in January, we'll sign the players we want first and then sell the ones we don't need.

United Pro

It's difficult to decipher which players were briefed about and which weren't tbh. In terms of Luckhurst, he was adamant that we wouldn't move for Fabinho last summer and that we wanted Matic. He got a lot of stick online for it, but he was right all along. Although he, like any football journalist, has got things wrong. So, whether he's right with the information from this article is more something we can judge in hindsight.

Red_toad

Find it funny when a few of those players would be starting for City if they were there. Young has been one of the best players in his position in the league this season and I'd certainly not swap him for Delph.
Where do people get the impression that making a good team simply involves buying 15 very good players and that's it. Sir Alex was a master at building teams with players who weren't amazingly skillful and talented.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Savic and Malcom seem like the ones we might be looking at, second time we've name dropped him now, doubt we'd keep doing it unless the possibility had at least been discussed.

AndyJ1985

A great right sided attacking player would definitely improve us, as would a really good left back. Alternatively a CM if we can't get a left back in January, But either way we definitely need a RW ASAP.

Craig Ward

Ok, lets stop being silly.

We aint going to sign him, nor are Barca or Real. This is David Luiz, a defender who cannot defend after all

We are stacked in the CB area. We are crying out for RW, CM and possibly full backs. CB is the last area we would need to consider.