Sanchez, Di Maria, Falcao or Veron? Who's our worst ever South American at signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
No doubt it’s Sanchez by a mile

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Worst to best:

Sanchez
Falcao
Kleberson
Di Maria
Fabio
Heinze
Forlan
Veron
Tevez
Rafael

I quite liked Seba. So unlucky with injuries, but immensely talented. Of course, needed time to adapt and quite tricky to dislodge either of Scholes and Keane. Tevez was great for us, regardless of what happened next. Forlan blossomed after he left. Also, loved the twins.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Heinze was a highly effective full back for us, I wish all our backs could stop crosses at source like he could. A cnut fair enough, but that's irrelevant as to how good he was.

Falcao the worst, couldn't stay on his feet whenever the ball came anywhere near him, like he'd had his kneecaps surgically removed.

Sanchez still has half a year to prove himself, if not he's in second place.

buckooo1978

Worst to best:

Sanchez
Falcao
Kleberson
Di Maria
Fabio
Heinze
Forlan
Veron
Tevez
Rafael

I quite liked Seba. So unlucky with injuries, but immensely talented. Of course, needed time to adapt and quite tricky to dislodge either of Scholes and Keane. Tevez was great for us, regardless of what happened next. Forlan blossomed after he left. Also, loved the twins.
spot on list and ranking but how could you forget Ando!

Sanchez
Falcao
Kleberson
Di Maria
Fabio
Heinze
Forlan
Veron
Anderson
Tevez
Rafael

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
spot on list and ranking but how could you forget Ando!

Sanchez
Falcao
Kleberson
Di Maria
Fabio
Heinze
Forlan
Veron
Anderson
Tevez
Rafael
Haha. Slipped my mind! I'd place him in between Forlan and Veron. I have a soft spot for Seba :wenger:

Chairman Woodie

I liked Veron. He never shined in the Premier League. I think the PL of today would have suited him better. But Veron was great in the Champions League.

I wasn't keen on United signing Sanchez. But I didn't see him being a flop either. Ranks up there with Falcao (loan) and Kleberson as the worst, in my opinion.

The best signings, in my opinion, have been Carlos Tevez, Gabriel Heinze, Sergio Romero and Luis A. Valencia.

Last edited:

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Sanchez has been a disaster and will continue to be after he’s gone. We’ll never be able to buy another established star for anything other than obscene record breaking wages. The wage structure is totally fecked. The others flopping didn’t destroy the club on a wider level.

So with that said, I still foolishly hope that Sanchez can somehow have a successful season in terms of scoring goals and not being resented by the entire dressing room. But apparently the club would rather send him to Roma on loan while continuing to pay his wages. That’s how damaging he’s been.

Dazzmondo

I think Sanchez for sure. Di Maria started well, Veron played well in Europe. Falcao was pretty terrible but ya overall I think it has to be Sanchez

Gopher Brown

It wasn’t Veron’s fault, he just wasn’t as good as Keane or Scholes. Falcao was an expensive loan deal, but at least we didn’t try to keep him at the end of it, and his recovery from injury took forever. Di Maria fell off a cliff after a promising start but we still got £44m back for him (minus wages and initial transfer fee)

So it can only be Sanchez who will cost us £104m if he sees out his contract, plus the £25m swap deal.

SirSteve4

Possebon - went from world class prospect to Conference player in the space of one tackle.

Fabio - did ok, but was supposed to be the better and more talented twin

Superden

Veron was on of my favourite players, he just wasnt suited to the way Utd played at the time, but was a damn brave move by fergie to get him in. also kept the others on their toes.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Sanchez and so unexpected too. Premiere league proven as one of it's top players for years. Came to us and instantly became worse than a sunday league footballer.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not sure whether you mean Heinze was better or worse than that. I reckon better, whatever happened after with his exit. Similar with Tevez.
Yep, that was what I meant too.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Di Maria was a better signing than Sanchez because he actually had a few games where he was class. Sanchez hasn’t had a single good game for us

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Sanchez so far.
If he suddenly becomes good again then it is probably Falcao, seeing as Di Maria performed as our top assister while being shuffled around before recouping a fair bit of his transfer fee & Veron wasn't completely useles and also recouped a bit of his transfer-fee.
Falcao due to how much the loan cost and how little he was on the field and how poorly he performed when on it.

If we're talking how they feel for us supporters emotionally then Tevez for going to City with the "R.I.P Fergie" banner, followed by Heinze for wanting to leave for Liverpool and finally Di Maria for using us to get to PSG.
Sanchez despite being useless on the field has to my knowledge not been disrespectful towards the club. The stuff mentioned about Sanchez holds true for Falcao as well.

Lentwood

Forget our worst South American signing, Sanchez is our worst signing ever. I've seen some bad players come and go (Djemba-Djemba, Bellion, Bebe, Kleberson etc...etc...), however, they were all cheap buys who ultimately ended up being 'bets to nothing' that didn't pay off

Di Maria was a poor buy, due to his reluctance to be here, but we got most of our money back and it's not like he contributed nothing at all. Likewise, I think many newer Utd fans don't appreciate that Seba Veron was actually very decent, just never hit the heights expected, I feel mainly because SAF was never quite able to fit him, Scholes and Keane into the same team.

Sanchez has contributed absolutely nothing, looks totally shot and has upset the rest of our squad in the process due to his ridiculous wages. We can't get rid of him for the same reason AND to top it all off, he has a bumper deal lasting another 3 1/2 seasons!

Cédric Sophie

Falcao was returning from a bad injury the signing was a gamble. Veron did well at times specially against spurs. Di Maria had no choice as his preffered destination PSG was not able to buy him due to FFP. Sanchez chose United over City because of Money. I will say Kleberson as he did not understand English Football.

Full bodied red

I thought Gabby Heinze was going to be a United Legend - a kind of Argentinian Stuart Pearce - but hardly a flop.

Falcao was still injured when he came to us - bit of a shame because I thought he was amongst the best of his era.

Di Maria just never wanted to be at OT - stupid to have brought him on the rebound in the first place.

Veron ooozed class - but was a fish out of water in the EPL.

Forlan I loved for his enthusiasm and energy - simple as that, so not him.

Likewise Tevez

And Anderson looked absolutely ace for the first 18 months or so.

So I'm going with those who reckon Sanchez is perhaps our poorest Sth American signing...And almost certainly our most expensive mistake ever.

led_scholes

Veron was decent. I still believe it was a mistake that we sold him. Our midfield that year was Scholes, Butt an aging Keane, Fortune, Djemba Djemba, Kleberson and Fletcher..oh and Neville too. So basically Scholes and Keane.

manutddjw

Kleberson.

I’m baffled by the Sanchez hate. At the time we swapped a under performing Mkhitaryan for a player who was rated in the top 10 in the league. It was a no brainer for us to make that deal. Has he been a good player for us? No. But at least we went after a top player instead of accepting average but wants to be here.

billybee99

I think it's really unfair to include Falcao on this list. The guy had literally just blown out his ACL for Christ's sake. He obviously came back way too soon. It took him 2 years to get back to some semblance of his old self and I respect him for getting his career back together somewhat. It must have been very difficult.

CherryBoy

Kleberson

Good thread, South American's don't do that well for United, wonder why?

Chillosophy

Veron shouldnt be mentioned in the top here...While players such as Kleberson, Rojo and Fred isnt? Albeit Fred has promised "Mr Ole" he will come good this season :wenger:

Status
Not open for further replies.