Sanchez - What's his position?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
In most games I'd play him as the 10 since Mourinho will persist with a 4231, that way we can have martial on the left and lingard or Mata on the right. Come the big games, Mourinho will always play lukaku up top so Sanchez should lineup on the left to get the best out of him but he'll drift around anyway. Martial on the other wing, he can handle the right fine for those games, especially as he wouldn't be sticking out there but drifting inwards anyway. It really depends on opponent tbh. Sanchez if you put him on the left will always drift inwards and won't really play like a left winger but more a 2nd #10 just more on the left side. So if we want more width, has to be martial or rashford.

If it were up to me, martial would go up top in the big games since Lukaku has shown for years that he struggles in them, but whatever. Not happening.

Bearded One

I want us to sign Mahrez in summer so we can have something likeep this; I'd love Sanchez to have some sort of free role:

Lukaku
Martial Sanchez Mahrez​

EyeInTheSky

I would like to see Lukaku dropped. Play a midfield 3 with Pogba free roam and Martial as a mobile striker. Front 4 of Pogba-Sanchez-Lingard-Martial should be awesome.
Yep. If we can be a roaming RW then we can still get the best out of Lingard in the middle.
I am on board with this as I want Lingard Central as literally every outstanding game he has had was him playing centrally or drifting in centrally even if started out on the right. Just look at how many Slalam solo efforts he has made it's no fluke. I think he did one yesterday against Huds in the first half if I am not mistaken with a decent shot on his left that the keeper saved. He does it so often and breaks the opposition lines like no one else on the squad that we just would be sabotaging ourselves if he became a bench player again.

Did you guys notice how he did it on 3 occasions vs Tottenham and he got hacked down from behind (one of them was by Kane which he did not get booked for) which completely took away any avenue for us to get back into the game.

Question is how do we get him Central as well as Martial without forcing Lukaku wide or on the bench?

https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/5a772f748dd5dd25d4d2bc89

https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/5a77305e8dd5dd25d4d2bc8a

https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/5a77319c8dd5dd25d4d2bc8b

Last edited:

nah_it_wont_happen

Let's play 4-2-2-2 with Martial and Sanchez as forwards while Pogba and Lingard as attacking midfielders while Matic and Herrera/Mctominay as midfielders.

We need to crowd our midfield. Our midfield was way too open against Spurs. The width shall be provided by The full-backs and I think we have 3 of them who can do that in Shaw, Valencia and Young.

Swift Football

I hope the rest of the team take these expressions well, Sanchez former teammates at arsenal didn't. No player want to be signalled on the field, no one like that, imagine in public in front of all the stadium. Sanchez must fix that, no because he is wrong, because he need his teammates and he can't do everything alone. If he want to be a guide to these players, he needs to find another way to transmit his instructions. The locker room must be calm with all aiming in the same direction.
His former teammates dint take it well , because they knew he is leaving for good!

Our players are getting free passes when they make ridiculous passes, or make ridiculous decisions in the pitch and that has to change, otherwise, nothing will improve. I am happy Sanchez has balls to call those in the pitch even though he is here for few weeks.

If our players cannot take positive criticism, they can feck off whether they are young or old, experienced or not, superstar or not.

Georgan

Daylight clear that he is a right winger, I have no idea why he's getting played at left wing or as a striker when he has always produced the most and been more influencial to his teams from the right wing.

Bobski

Daylight clear that he is a right winger, I have no idea why he's getting played at left wing or as a striker when he has always produced the most and been more influencial to his teams from the right wing.
He has played LW for the majority of his time in England.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Did anyone notice how, because Sánchez was almost playing as secondary striker yesterday, we had Mata a long time on the leftwing, with the Spaniard even assisting from there? My guess is Mourinho doubts Martial or Rashford to do that job, as they're not so flexible exchanging wings.

Luis DC

Supports
Universidad de Chile
His former teammates dint take it well , because they knew he is leaving for good!

Our players are getting free passes when they make ridiculous passes, or make ridiculous decisions in the pitch and that has to change, otherwise, nothing will improve. I am happy Sanchez has balls to call those in the pitch even though he is here for few weeks.

If our players cannot take positive criticism, they can feck off whether they are young or old, experienced or not, superstar or not.
I agree, but he can provide that criticism during training, at half-time or talking with the player at the first chance he has, those options are better that signalling them at the field. Football is a team sport and harmony is needed. I believe that we all are aware how prima donnas some players can be. As a leader he has to lead and pointing out every mistake in front of the audience is not very efficient.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Did anyone notice how, because Sánchez was almost playing as secondary striker yesterday, we had Mata a long time on the leftwing, with the Spaniard even assisting from there? My guess is Mourinho doubts Martial or Rashford to do that job, as they're not so flexible exchanging wings.
I think it's his natural game to drift centrally, right wing, drop deep and get involved in the play.

ChrisJames

Sanchez is great off the left side but Jose better not fall into the trap of letting him run the show. Sanchez is a very dominating player on the field who demands the ball constantly and at Arsenal although he was very productive that was part of what was holding them back. All they do is pass to the main main (him) and let him have a go.

ROFLUTION

Taken from Fantasyfootballscout: Sanchez touches in Gameweek 25-28 (left pic) vs Gameweek 29-33 (right pic)

.. It becomes clear he's getting settled in the inside-left area, where he can pop the ball on to Lukaku - a bit alarming as this is/was also Pogba's place to operate. It makes so much sense to place him on the right, to avoid cluttering of skills, yet Mourinho hasn't tried it yet.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Taken from Fantasyfootballscout: Sanchez touches in Gameweek 25-28 (left pic) vs Gameweek 29-33 (right pic)

.. It becomes clear he's getting settled in the inside-left area, where he can pop the ball on to Lukaku - a bit alarming as this is/was also Pogba's place to operate. It makes so much sense to place him on the right, to avoid cluttering of skills, yet Mourinho hasn't tried it yet.

Interesting part is, he isn't dropping too deep to link up play. In the right one he has most touches in the zone where he can hurt the teams.

ROFLUTION

Interesting part is, he isn't dropping too deep to link up play. In the right one he has most touches in the zone where he can hurt the teams.
I agree. It's in between midfield and attack he can do damage. The statistics about creating chances suggests this also, but yet the stats surrounding his goal threat has dropped from xG 1.77 to 0.77. The stats suggests we will see him more in a playmaker kind of role than a goalscoring one.

It's a bit mystery to me why Mourinho plays him here if Pogba becomes good again. For me there can be more reasons:

1) Mourinho traditionally like to play his key (and all his) players in their best tradition. This could be where he sees Sanches being the best.
2) Pogba's drop in form. Utilize Sanchez where Pogba is/was not delivering.
3) Martial doesn't have a future in Mourinho's plans - and might as well get Sanchez accustomed to the role before next season. Could mean we'll sign a right wing too.
4) Sanchez has insisted on playing wherever he wants to choose us over City.