Sancho, Grealish, Rice or Calvert-Lewin?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Grealish to replace Pogba seems like the most obvious bit of business in a very long time. I really hope we can make that happen.
Pogba is someone who doesn't really suit us for our squad balance, but we try to make it work because of the quality he has. Grealish would be the same. Obvious bits of business is to just address holes in your team. Our hole isn't at a #10 or the left wing. Its at RW and DM, and possibly at CB too.

The most obvious bit of business we could make is the same its been every summer for years. Buy a right winger. Or in the case of the last 2 years, buy Jadon Sancho because he's young, English, technically a brilliant footballer, creative, has goals in him, and is a natural on the right. People might move on from Sancho or the right wing because we signed Pellistri, Diallo, Greenwood broke through... but two of them are teenagers who haven't played past youth level basically, while Greenwood is a striker who can play wide but is very much a striker (but also still a teenager).

Grealish wouldn't be a bad signing, because he's a terrific player. But it would be a signed that places Rashford on the right wing pretty much full time.

Redfrog

Grealish is easily the best player from the lot. He is pure class. I have watched a lot of Villa this season and I like him a lot.
Doesn't matter where he plays, he will improve us, give us some options and flexibility.

passing-wind

Pogba is someone who doesn't really suit us for our squad balance, but we try to make it work because of the quality he has. Grealish would be the same. Obvious bits of business is to just address holes in your team. Our hole isn't at a #10 or the left wing. Its at RW and DM, and possibly at CB too.

The most obvious bit of business we could make is the same its been every summer for years. Buy a right winger. Or in the case of the last 2 years, buy Jadon Sancho because he's young, English, technically a brilliant footballer, creative, has goals in him, and is a natural on the right. People might move on from Sancho or the right wing because we signed Pellistri, Diallo, Greenwood broke through... but two of them are teenagers who haven't played past youth level basically, while Greenwood is a striker who can play wide but is very much a striker (but also still a teenager).

Grealish wouldn't be a bad signing, because he's a terrific player. But it would be a signed that places Rashford on the right wing pretty much full time.
This is the only stance I'm willing to take with Grealish a very good player but he doesn't add anything to the weaknesses of the team. Fair enough he's hard to dispossess but with his most influential position occupied by Bruno what's the point. A consistent right winger alone would rejuvenate our attacking dynamic. It will immediate the need for the opposition to track both wingers allowing the fullbacks further time and space stretching the play and allowing more chances to be created.

I don't see Solskjaer as an systematically intricate coach to make our midfield the most pivotal point of our play (movement, skill, positioning, shape etc) I can however see us having far more success with competent wingers either side of the striker and 10.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Rice for me. Grealish is an excellent player but we need improvements in a few other places first.

Judas

Open to offers
If we just bought Grealish of course it wouldn't make sense, but is anyone advocating that, I know I'm not. We've got a few areas desperately needing improvement that if left unimproved again would be simply negligent.

mu4c_20le

I feel like the meme guy split between the two girls. Grealish is class but if the Sancho deal is still alive, my head turns.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Grealish is easily the best player from the lot. He is pure class. I have watched a lot of Villa this season and I like him a lot.
Doesn't matter where he plays, he will improve us, give us some options and flexibility.
Definitely not easily, considering Grealish is 5 years older than Sancho and has had only half a season where he's actually been the better player... Think people both don't realize that Sancho is only 20, and that Grealish is 25. And that in his 18th and 19th years, Sancho got roughly 15 goals and 15 assists, then 20 goals and 20 assists, playing mostly on the right wing.

Idxomer

Grealish would bring consistency in the final 3rd which is something lacking in pretty much all of our forwards.

Irrational.

If Sir Alex was still our manager, we’d have signed Grealish a season or two ago. He wouldn’t need much convincing and he’d have a Rooney-esque impact.

Redfrog

Definitely not easily, considering Grealish is 5 years older than Sancho and has had only half a season where he's actually been the better player... Think people both don't realize that Sancho is only 20, and that Grealish is 25. And that in his 18th and 19th years, Sancho got roughly 15 goals and 15 assists, then 20 goals and 20 assists, playing mostly on the right wing.
I get what you say mate. But I haven't seen Sancho play often and I don't know how his stats will be in the Prem. Just look at all the players from Germany who where sure things but flopped in the Prem. Sancho can be the same.
If I had the choice and had to choose one or another for the same price, I'll take Grealish who is used to play here and just ooze class.
I know it is all about potential now but 25 is a very good age and that is what we need if we want to win the league. Potential is good but prime is better...look at Bruno, he transformed us because he is class, hungry and in his prime.
I just think with Grealish that we know what we are paying for and I am not so sure with Sancho considering his actual performances this season, his price tag and his apparent unwillingness to work hard for the team. I feel, we are getting fleeced for the price tag on Sancho.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Grealish.

When a player is that good and if he wants to come you have to get him.

Fergie signed RVP the season after we had Rooney, Chicharito, Berbatov and Welbeck all scoring goals. We were well stocked with goals as Nani and, Young and Valencia were all productive too.

Martial and Rashford are not good enough to be automatic starters anyway.

If we get Grealish one or both of Martial and Rashford can sit on the bench or work their way in.

Diabovermelho

Grealish.

Fergie signed RVP the season after we had Rooney, Chicharito, Berbatov and Welbeck all scoring goals. We were well stocked with goals as Nani and, Young and Valencia were all productive too.

If we get Grealish one or both of Martial and Rashford can sit on the bench or work their way in.
Absolutely. Signing Grealish and a DM for Pogba, would bring us to the next level.

Polar

Sancho=YES!!

Grealish=No
Rice=No No

Lewin=Maybe yes maybe no.. Is he a little bit boring? Is he a little bit limited? Does United have tradition for attackers like him? I’m not sure he fits United perfectly.

I say yes if someone promise me he is a younger version of Benzema :D

Last edited:

Red_Orchestra

I guess Rashford will have to develop a left foot very fast if he wants to remain a starter, Grealish would easily displace Rashy on the left.
And No Grealish would not be a direct Pogba Replacement, he can not play a center mid role because he would drift wide left to many times. If we were to replace Pogba we would need a stationary center mid, not a drifter.
Grealish would be a Rashford replacement on the left wing and I wouldn't mind it at all.

Bruno and Grealish on the same pitch would be nothing short of majestic. Martial, Rashford and Greenwood will need to lace their shooting boots because there will be a lot of created chances.

Last edited:

dal

Grealish —Rashford——Greenwood
Rashford—-Greenwood—-Grealish
Rashford—Grealish———Greenwood
Rashford——Cavani———Greenwood
————Grealish——-Bruno——————

All these options would work and I haven’t even mentioned Martial or Diallo yet.

He takes us from a really good counter attacking team, to a team that can play counter attacking fearsomely, helps us beat a top class press more effectivley and most of all gives us a ball carrier that we haven’t had since 06/07 in ronaldo, I’d love to see that and so would our fans I believe.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Grealish.

This. With Pogba is unofficially gone next season, we need a world class addition in creativity. And I think Grealish can provide that.

Polar

Many people are obsessed with Grealish.
I think Hakan Çalhanoğlu (Milan) is a better alternative. He have impressed me several times this season. What do people think of him?

At the same time I have to say I don’t agree a new AM is a big priority right now. The story would be different if Pogba leaves.

croadyman

I am a huge Grealish fan but is there anyone on here who is confident that he could play on the right side if required to do so

keithsingleton

I am a huge Grealish fan but is there anyone on here who is confident that he could play on the right side if required to do so
Me too, and yes I think he could mix it up when required. However, for maximum strength we know his best postition. I'd sign him yesterday. :D

croadyman

Me too, and yes I think he could mix it up when required. However, for maximum strength we know his best postition. I'd sign him yesterday. :D
Still feels like we would only go for him if Pogba leaves which was what Whitwell reported last year

keithsingleton

Still feels like we would only go for him if Pogba leaves which was what Whitwell reported last year
Yeah I know and that will probably be the case sadly. However, Pogba isn't as fixed to one postion as much as Grealish so I do think they can play in the same team. I'm just dreaming wake me up please. :lol:

croadyman

Yeah I know and that will probably be the case sadly. However, Pogba isn't as fixed to one postion as much as Grealish so I do think they can play in the same team. I'm just dreaming wake me up please. :lol:
No way could we afford Jack without selling an asset

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Have to say Grealish v City was an eye opener last night, for him to play the way he did against that level of opposition, wow

Eternitiy

Imagine a left side containing Shaw and Grealish. Technique for days. Would be very unfair to our opponents.

Judas

Open to offers
He's been putting in performances like that all season, no matter the opposition, he's simply class. Still gutted he kept them up, he'd be ours by now.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not only City, but he was fantastic against us and Liverpool, too.
This is going to sound really negative but I take less notice of how players perform against us as we can make bang average players and teams look great

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I've never wanted us to sign a player as much as Grealish, since .. well.. di Maria and Mata.

Bwuk

I think Villa would price Grealish out a move. With a new contract signed he’s worth more than the 80m they wanted last summer.

Walters_19_MuFc

Those who are saying Grealish, and I was one of those guilty of doing it, please give me their lineup (or the front four) with him in the team, please.

hubbuh

Grealish is that tier of talent where you sign him and worry about where he fits later. I mean, would this be impossible against bottom-half opposition?

-----------------STRIKER------------------
Rashford-------------------------Diallo
-----------Grealish-------Bruno---------
-----------------NEW DM------------------

saivet

Those who are saying Grealish, and I was one of those guilty of doing it, please give me their lineup (or the front four) with him in the team, please.
The one way I think it could work would be if we move to a 433.

New DM
Bruno, Grealish
RW, Striker, Rashord
It may limit the creative freedom of Bruno and Grealish somewhat but manageable if we sign a top DM and RW too.

If a RW and DM are on the agenda anyway and assuming Pogba leaves then it makes a lot of sense. I don't really see it going in that direction though and I'd rather not see him or Rashford starting the majority of their games out on the right.

saivet

Grealish is that tier of talent where you sign him and worry about where he fits later. I mean, would this be impossible against bottom-half opposition?

It's too short-sighted with most players in my opinion and unless it's some sort of bargain it may create unnecessary headache in addressing other positions or playing some of your better players out of position.

RealBarcelonaUnited

Having grealish in our team will elevate it to another level and in my view will be as exciting to watch as Fergie's era.

hubbuh

It's too short-sighted with most players in my opinion and unless it's some sort of bargain it may create unnecessary headache in addressing other positions or playing some of your better players out of position.
Grealish is one of those players that is the exception to the rule. He would immediately put our squad as one of, if not the best in the league/potentially the world. I don't think he'd cause a selection dilemma at all, quite the opposite. He's extremely versatile and assuming the management team are confident he can play in a midfield 3 in place of Pogba (and why on earth couldn't he), he's a no-brainer. In the past couple of years Kevin De Bruyne has been deployed slightly deeper at times to great effect - I wouldn't be surprised if Grealish enjoys a similar trajectory. Also, if us signing him means City/Scousers/Chelsea don't, it's worth doing for that alone.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

Basically what I was thinking. Add Haaland as ST :drool:

Not sure about the DM though, Rice is better than he gets credit for although I do like Douglas Luiz at Villa.

Walters_19_MuFc

-----------------Cavani-----------------
Grealish----Bruno----Rashford

Rashford and Grealish can interchange during the game.
I guess that's the only way, although I worry about the both being on the right, as they're not as effective as when they play on the left.

The one way I think it could work would be if we move to a 433.

New DM
Bruno, Grealish
RW, Striker, Rashord
It may limit the creative freedom of Bruno and Grealish somewhat but manageable if we sign a top DM and RW too.

If a RW and DM are on the agenda anyway and assuming Pogba leaves then it makes a lot of sense. I don't really see it going in that direction though and I'd rather not see him or Rashford starting the majority of their games out on the right.
That would be nice. However, I think Ole seems set on his 4231 formation, which I personally like and feel it gives us a really good balance.